Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Aloura - Which worlds are you playing in and which ones are being the most problematic?

Since it's not possible to isolate such freezing issues without knowing if your computer and its hardware are part of the cause or if there are multiple factors involved, it would help if we could get a full set of specs on the computer you are using. If you could, please run a full dxdiag report, save the results up to a third party site like Pastebin.com, and provide a link here so we can read it. A broken up link is fine as you are a New Member and cannot post a full one, but you can use periods or spaces like h.t.t.p.s.://website. com/etc.

How to run the report: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

The above assumes you are on Windows, if you are playing the Mac version of the game then we need to have a different conversation.

Also please, how many Expansion Packs are you running (and which ones).

On the mods, generally what kind are we talking about? Any far reaching Script and Core Mods from places other than NRaas, Awesome, or The Sims Asylum? Not that these are the only good places to get mods, but most other sources offer a mixed bag of recently kept up to date good stuff together with that which might be outdated or conflicting with something else in play.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • pemzy2pemzy2 Posts: 7 New Member
    When I remove mods from my sims 3 folder, they don't dissappear from my game. I've also found that my game randomly downloaded some broken boots that go onto every sim that ages up including babies (it makes the screen completely glitch out). I reconfigured my game but now none of my mods are showing up in game. I have no idea what to do, any suggestions?
    pemzy2 wrote: »
    When I remove mods from my sims 3 folder, they don't dissappear from my game.
    Note that the five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder need to be cleared (deleted) whenever actual mods are added to, updated, or taken away from the game. They will regenerate on the next startup.

However, there may be another explanation here. You may have a second, unwanted game folder that the game is reading from and that is different from the one you are adding mods to or taking them away from. If on Win 10, a common place for these to spawn is in the Documents directory of OneDrive, which is not really where the user game folder belongs. It is a good practice to deactivate and uninstall OneDrive entirely unless one has another use for it.

I've also found that my game randomly downloaded some broken boots that go onto every sim that ages up including babies (it makes the screen completely glitch out).
    The game cannot download custom content on its own, randomly or otherwise. What can happen with "bad CC" is that the boots or whatever element is acting up might be packaged together with what was really desired in a Launcher installed sims3pack. I can point you towards some comprehensive instructions on how to get rid of things like the malformed and rogue boots, but if you have started over with a fresh game folder somehow and no longer have the bad sims3packs in play, then that might not be necessary.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • pemzy2pemzy2 Posts: 7 New Member
    [quote="igazor;c-17373069"][quote="pemzy2;c-17372937"]When I remove mods from my sims 3 folder, they don't dissappear from my game.[/quote]
    Note that the five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder need to be cleared (deleted) whenever actual mods are added to, updated, or taken away from the game. They will regenerate on the next startup.

However, there may be another explanation here. You may have a second, unwanted game folder that the game is reading from and that is different from the one you are adding mods to or taking them away from. If on Win 10, a common place for these to spawn is in the Documents directory of OneDrive, which is not really where the user game folder belongs. It is a good practice to deactivate and uninstall OneDrive entirely unless one has another use for it.

[quote="pemzy2;c-17372937"]I've also found that my game randomly downloaded some broken boots that go onto every sim that ages up including babies (it makes the screen completely glitch out).[/quote]
    The game cannot download custom content on its own, randomly or otherwise. What can happen with "bad CC" is that the boots or whatever element is acting up might be packaged together with what was really desired in a Launcher installed sims3pack. I can point you towards some comprehensive instructions on how to get rid of things like the malformed and rogue boots, but if you have started over with a fresh game folder somehow and no longer have the bad sims3packs in play, then that might not be necessary.[/quote]

How do I access the cache files?
    edited January 2020
    How do I access the cache files?
    The files will be on the top level of your TS3 user game folder that is supposed to be in Documents. We clear (delete) them by right-clicking and Delete or by dragging them to the Recycle Bin while the game is not running. Here are the files by name:

CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package

The.package extensions won't display if you have Windows set to hide extensions in file names, but the files would be the same.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ErrbrrErrbrr Posts: 1 New Member
    So I can't find the original sims 3 disc or sims 3 pets. I only have sums 3 late night on hand. If I uninstalled sims 3 pets would I be able to play with the late night disc? Right now it asks me for the pets disc to play.
    edited January 2020
    Errbrr wrote: »
    So I can't find the original sims 3 disc or sims 3 pets. I only have sums 3 late night on hand. If I uninstalled sims 3 pets would I be able to play with the late night disc? Right now it asks me for the pets disc to play.
    Yes, but you would not be able to play a saved game forward that had already "seen" the Pets EP, only new games starting over.

If your game and expansions have been registered to your account either on the TS3 store site or Origin, or if you have the registration codes that came with them and can do so now, then you could also uninstall Pets and reinstall the Origin version which doesn't require a disc in the drive to play at all.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AlouraAloura Posts: 6 New Member
    I’m running on an HP laptop. However I don’t think this is a hardware problem. I tried posting on the EA forum but the person who was trying to help me stopped responding. I’ve had this problem for over a week now. I’ve had this game for 6 years with CC and NRass mods and it worked perfectly fine. Then last week one of my saves that I hadn’t opened in a while froze after I tried making her go to sleep. After trying different thing like creating a new sims 3 folder all to get her the person on the EA forum determined it was a CC problem. I use CC Magic so I’ve been filtering through my CC and found a few categories that once out of my game the freezing no longer occurred. However the problem I’m having is that I’ve had the same CC in my game for years. I don’t CC shop for my sims 3 game anymore as I don’t want to over crowd my game. So that is why I’m so confused. It’s not like I went on a CC shopping trip and my game started freezing after I put new CC in. It just started doing this out of the blue. It’s very frustrating because I’ve been trying a number of fixes for the past week and the only thing the other person could tell me to do was get rid of my CC but I don’t want to do that. I have a bunch of CC that if taken out I would never be able to get back. It makes no since that there was no problem before and now there’s is a problem even though I changed nothing. I went shopping for new all new hairs as I thought this is what was causing the problem. But then all the catagories that we’re fine before after I tested them started causing my game freeze. This makes no since and I am beyond frustrated and am about 2 seconds away from just giving up and deleting the game entirely. I’ve had many issues with this game over the coarse of 6 years but never one like this.
    edited January 2020
    @Aloura - Sometimes issues with CC only arise when some sim, somewhere in our world, begins to use, wear, or ages up into it but while more or less dormant the items cause few or no problems. It is the nature of an open world game that we cannot see what all sims in town are doing. wearing, or interacting with all at once.

I'm sorry, but at least a couple of us both on this forum and on AHQ have tried to help and your threads have twice come back to you do not wish to remove the suspicious categories of CC and you are two seconds away from giving up on the game entirely. Maybe it would be best to take a break from TS3 for a while if this issue is that intrusive and stressful, and you are unable to continue troubleshooting your own CC collection to solve it. It is not really the fault of the game, I'm sorry to say, if it runs fine with no CC at all, runs fine with subsets of it, but falls apart when all that you have is in play. It is the fault of some of the CC items, or at least it almost has to be.

I find issues like this actually a bit fun to work through on my end (with probably more limited amounts of content than most players have, I run heavier on mods instead), and very satisfying to eventually solve. But when I get frustrated with the game to the point where nothing about it including troubleshooting is fun anymore, it really is best to set it all aside and come back to it and the challenge currently being faced at some later time.

Finally, I will point out that the person who was (and might still be) helping you on AHQ is an expert troubleshooter who has helped more players get their games working again than either of us could possible count and they just posted on your thread yesterday. I did not see anywhere where they have indicated that they will stop responding entirely.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Usually the person would get back with me within a few hours but I posted my last message early yesterday day afternoon since they didn’t respond I assumed they just had not seen it yet. This glitch is frustrating just because I’ve been trying to get an answer to why this happens how when it hasn’t before. But you seem to have given it to me. Out if the categories that don’t work 2 of them don’t have much cc. So I can pic and chose from those and then try the 50/50 method on my build/but objects. The other is accessories that I use a lot and never had a problem with. I was dealing with this problem for 3 days before I posted on the forum. Which is why this is so frustrating. I stepped away for a few days before posting on the forum as a last resort and just want to get the problem resolved so I can play. I’ll use what the person on the EA forum’s advice and try to navigate from there on my own. Thanks for the help!❤️
    Also I only asked on the EA forum once and once this thread once. I asked on I believe one or 2 other threads at the beginning because I wasn't sure how to create my own post. Then you directed me here. This is the second response I have gotten. I haven’t gotten a response from anyone other than you and the person who was helping me on Tuesday. I know you mean well but I kind of felt a little offended by your statement. That I was not willing to take out my CC and that I should step away. The only reason I kept pressing the issue is because I didn’t want to get rid of CC that wasn’t problematic when something else could have been causing the problem. That is why I asked for an explanation as to why if I hadn’t added any new CC yet why my game would be freezing. You just gave me that explanation here. I appreciate the help but I was slightly bothered by that comment. I know you most likely didn’t mean any harm by it but I am 100% willing to part with bad CC. I just didn’t want to get rid of good CC that might not have been causing the problem.
    edited January 2020
    @Aloura - Regardless of how cranky I may have come across up there, my only intent on posting here on this forum is to help other players (and have a good time doing it, when I can). The thing is I work with computers, including servers, all day long and have done so for decades now. And I've learned to recognize that sometimes it's just best to step away from a problem that is getting the better of me as long as it's not an emergency condition for my users or organization. I saw the telltale signs of frustration in your posts and that is why I suggested just setting the game aside for a while. I was not in any way implying that you should just give up or not play the game anymore at all.

So many times upon my returning to a difficult or stubborn problem after a week or two, with a fresh pot of coffee on hand (or whatever one prefers in that regard) suddenly light bulbs tend to come on that might not have done so prior and whatever issue it was becomes much more pleasant to deal with than it was before. You may think none of this is relevant to your CC issue, but it really is about the same thing as you have said you have been playing this game and solving its issues on your end for over six years now and thus must have picked up a lot of troubleshooting and logic skills along the way.

It is your right to feel offended by my remarks and I am sorry you feel that way. But neither of us who are/were trying to help you work for EA, we are not paid for our time here, and we simply do the best we can to help our fellow players out each in our own ways.

Hopefully you are further along on your path to making your game enjoyable again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • axim_galaxim_gal Posts: 22 Member
    Hi Igazor, my game crashed twice to the desktop, and I can't understand what it's trying to tell me. Can I post Exception here for you guys to take a look at please. I'm really not sure what to do.
    axim_gal wrote: »
    Hi Igazor, my game crashed twice to the desktop, and I can't understand what it's trying to tell me. Can I post Exception here for you guys to take a look at please. I'm really not sure what to do.
    You may, but please be aware that there are around a hundred reasons this game can crash but the crash log (the xcpt file) doesn't usually explain why unless you have run out of usable memory. Please if you could also provide a copy/paste of the first 40 lines or so of the DeviceConfig.log file also in your user game folder so we can get a quick snapshot of your system's resources.

Is the crash constant and reproducible, is it always at a certain game clock time or when your sims try to do a certain one thing, or is it more random than that and not frequently occurring? Do you have mods and/or CC in play, and if the crash is something new has anything been added or changed in that regard recently?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ellieheartselliehearts Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I need some help with my game. You see, one of my Sims were graduating and they were going to the Annex, but since there were so many people, she didn't go in and the graduation ceremony finished and she didn't get her diploma, and I am really upset because of it. So, I was wondering if someone could help me to revert back to a save before that happened. I hope this is the right thread, cause it is my first time on the Sims forums. :)
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @elliehearts Go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves, and you'll see a folder labeled [your save name].sims3, and another with the same name but an added .backup extension. So if you've named your save SunsetValley, for example, there will be folders labeled SunsetValley.sims3 and SunsetValley.sims3.backup. Delete the .backup extension and rename the save (i.e. SunsetValley1.sims3), and you'll be able to load it from the Main Menu.

If your sim has trouble getting into the Annex again, you can reset the other sims in the area. Open the cheats console (ctrl-shift-C) and enter "resetsim firstname lastname" without quotes for each sim that's in the way.
    [Exception info]
    date: 2020-01-26
    time: 04.11.44
    type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x97ee1e00
    address: 0x00de9b6e "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe":0x0001:0x009e8b6e

[Call stack]
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe
    0x00de9b6e

0x00ebf611

0x00ebf9bd

[Stack data]
    2c144480 |<2c>48 14 2c 80 b6 1e 01 94 47 14 2c 01 00 00 00 | ,H.,.....G.,.... |
    2c144490 | 11 f6 eb 00 94 47 14 2c d0 c2 e8 97 00 00 00 00 | .....G.,........ |
    2c1444a0 | 2c 48 14 2c 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 | ,H.,............ |
    2c1444b0 | e8 1d ee 97 cf 79 ce c7 04 00 7d 2f 00 00 00 00 | .....y....}/.... |
    2c1444c0 | 18 5f 13 01 30 69 e6 97 01 00 00 00 68 8b 13 01 | ._..0i......h... |
    2c1444d0 | 20 69 e6 97 01 00 00 00 bd f9 eb 00 10 45 14 2c | i...........E., |
    2c1444e0 | f0 44 14 2c 94 47 14 2c 24 69 e6 97 40 45 14 2c | .D.,.G.,$i..@E., |
    2c1444f0 | 00 00 00 00 d2 fb eb 00 10 45 14 2c f4 47 14 2c | .........E.,.G., |
    2c144500 | 2c 48 14 2c 94 47 14 2c 78 18 08 01 00 00 00 00 | ,H.,.G.,x....... |
    2c144510 | 68 8b 13 01 20 69 e6 97 01 00 00 00 ae 4e 3c cf | h... i.......N<. |
    2c144520 | 5a eb eb 00 40 45 14 2c 2c 48 14 2c 94 47 14 2c | Z...@E.,,H.,.G., |
    2c144530 | 34 b2 1e 01 01 00 00 00 94 47 14 2c 01 00 00 00 | 4........G.,.... |
    2c144540 | e7 05 54 ef a5 f4 eb 00 30 91 11 92 94 47 14 2c | ..T.....0....G., |
    2c144550 | c8 c2 e8 97 00 00 00 00 2c 48 14 2c 13 00 00 00 | ........,H.,.... |
    2c144560 | 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 f8 45 14 2c | .............E., |
    2c144570 | fc 47 14 2c 00 00 00 00 c8 60 13 01 c8 c2 e8 97 | .G.,.....`...... |
    2c144580 | 01 00 00 00 a8 60 13 01 50 ac e0 97 01 00 00 00 | .....`..P....... |
    2c144590 | bd f9 eb 00 c8 45 14 2c a8 45 14 2c 94 47 14 2c | .....E.,.E.,.G., |
    2c1445a0 | 54 ac e0 97 f8 45 14 2c 30 91 11 92 d2 fb eb 00 | T....E.,0....... |
    2c1445b0 | c8 45 14 2c f4 47 14 2c 2c 48 14 2c 94 47 14 2c | .E.,.G.,,H.,.G., |
    2c1445c0 | 78 18 08 01 18 00 00 00 a8 60 13 01 50 ac e0 97 | x........`..P... |
    2c1445d0 | 01 00 00 00 d8 b8 c1 4e 5a eb eb 00 f8 45 14 2c | .......NZ....E., |
    2c1445e0 | 2c 48 14 2c 94 47 14 2c 84 b2 1e 01 19 00 00 00 | ,H.,.G.,........ |
    2c1445f0 | 94 47 14 2c 19 00 00 00 e6 05 54 ef a5 f4 eb 00 | .G.,......T..... |
    2c144600 | 90 84 11 92 94 47 14 2c e0 c0 e8 97 00 00 00 00 | .....G.,........ |
    2c144610 | 2c 48 14 2c 13 00 00 00 b0 6f e9 97 00 00 00 00 | ,H.,.....o...... |
    2c144620 | 00 00 00 00 b0 46 14 2c fc 47 14 2c 00 00 00 00 | .....F.,.G.,.... |
    2c144630 | 38 5e 13 01 e0 c0 e8 97 19 00 00 00 a8 60 13 01 | 8^...........`.. |
    2c144640 | 50 51 ea 97 01 00 00 00 bd f9 eb 00 80 46 14 2c | PQ...........F., |
    2c144650 | 60 46 14 2c 94 47 14 2c 54 51 ea 97 b0 46 14 2c | `F.,.G.,TQ...F., |
    2c144660 | 90 84 11 92 d2 fb eb 00 80 46 14 2c f4 47 14 2c | .........F.,.G., |
    2c144670 | 2c 48 14 2c 94 47 14 2c 78 18 08 01 02 00 00 00 | ,H.,.G.,x....... |

[Instruction data]
    00de9aee => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

Name: Sims3
    Version:
    Build: Release
    === Rating info ===
    GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2993 Threading: 3
    Adjusted CPU: 3591 RAM: 16335 Adjusted RAM: 15823 Cores: 4
    === Machine info ===
    OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
    OS prod type: 0
    OS major ver: 6
    OS minor ver: 2
    OS SP major ver: 0
    OS SP minor ver: 0
    OS is 64Bit: 1
    CPU: GenuineIntel
    Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    Family: 6
    Model: 12
    Cores: 4
    HT: 0
    x64: 0
    Memory: 16335MB
    Free memory: 11525MB
    User:
    Computer: DESKTOP-MGK9MSM
    === Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
    Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1d01, Board: 37671458, Chipset: 00a1
    Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 26.21.14.3200, GUID: D7B71E3E-5E41-11CF-687B-69171BC2D735
    Driver version: 3200
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    === Options ===

I have no idea if this is the information you need, or was it the whole thing? I've never done this before, but hopefully this will be enough Info.

I had been playing this save for at least 5 sim weeks. Right before it happened, I had been playing around in cas with one of the Townies, and all of a sudden everything went weird. I couldn't move around the cas tabs, so my only option was to control/alt/delete.

When I went back in, it was at least 3 days earlier maybe more. It let me play for a good 10-min of that day, before it, again, became unplayable. I do have mods and cc, but I had those same mods and cc in from the beginning of game-play, the only thing is, I hadn't been in cas with a townie until then.

I'm just confused with the exception really. I can get rid of the cc, painfully so, but will this fix it or is it something else?

Thank you in advance for anything you can help me with.🤞🧡
    Can someone help me with the above problem, I think Igazor may be off. I took so long to upload this. My apologies to Igazor.
    edited January 2020
    @axim_gal - Off his rocker, maybe sometimes. We don't actually work scheduled shifts here, we are just players helping out other players when we can. :)

That wasn't enough of the crash log to see if the game was out of resources, but usually these things are just not helpful or conclusive enough. Your graphics card is low-end and is known to not handle the heavier EPs well. Depending on how many and which EPs you have, that may be a factor. Or it could still be CC, in particular maybe a CAS part like a piece of clothing or a hair that wasn't actually being used (much) until now. Given that you have played this ongoing game successfully until now, I would suggest trying again with no CC in play as a test to see if the crash still happens so quickly. You should also try clearing (deleting) the five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder in Documents after removing the CC, if you don't already do this routinely.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Igazor, thank you, lol (off), erm, of course, don't know what I was thinking. You guys are awesome!!! I'll do what you say and take the cc out and see what happens. I know it's not my mods, bc I've been using the same mods since forever, so it must be cc then. Sorry about the log info, I should have just posted all of it. What does it mean where it says " 00de9aee => DasmX86Dll.dll not found", that really confused me. Oh, and what graphics card do you suggest, if you don't mind me asking?
    edited January 2020
    @axim_gal - The DasmX86Dll error appears on all crash logs. It is actually an error with the crash log system, not the game, so it is reporting on itself (and it's not meaningful). Way further down there should be some readings on memory used and available, but those are really difficult for just about all of us to interpret and bad CC could even cause such spikes in resource usage while the game tries to figure out what to do with an object or CAS part that it cannot handle. So even with those, I'm afraid none of this will be conclusive.

If the game from where you have a good save runs fine with no CC, but crashes with CC, then this is actually a good thing. Well, crashes are never fun but I mean if that turns out to be the case then at least we have isolated the kind of trigger. Then it would become a matter of figuring out which item(s) are suddenly misbehaving so they can be gotten rid of more permanently and your game can then continue.

In the 1000 Nvidia series, we usually regard the GTX 1050 as capable of running all EPs although maybe not on the highest of graphics settings in Game Options. A 1050Ti or 1060 would be better, higher than that is fine too but overkill for TS3 as the game cannot use all that graphics power. Although a 1030 doesn't sound like it would be miles behind these, it actually has a bus width (measuring data throughput) that is half of that of a 1050 and the heavy EPs (Pets, Seasons, then IP and ITF) can be too much for it to handle on any graphics settings. The numbers in other series will run a bit differently.

Whether you can do anything about that on your current system without buying a whole new computer depends on whether it is a desktop or laptop and, if desktop, what it has for a system board, internal power supply, and cooling system. The graphics cards in laptops are generally not upgradable as they tend to be fused into the other components during manufacture or there is just no space allotted for even a very slightly larger card.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. You've helped me a lot, you have no idea!! I have a pretty old computer, but it runs pretty good for now I suppose. Nobody's home at the moment so I have nobody to ask about the system board. I pulled up the system info, but I still am not sur e what I'm looking at. All I know is it's a Dell XPS 8700, but if you give me some advice on what I should have, I will be forever indebted to you. Thanks again for your time.
    edited January 2020
    All I know is it's a Dell XPS 8700, but if you give me some advice on what I should have, I will be forever indebted to you.
    I think I'm going to have to defer to other hardware experts here or on EA's AHQ board as to how upgradable your current system is. They will likely ask you for a full dxdiag or another such report so they can see more details about which particular configuration you have in that line.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Igazor, Thanks for your help. I took my female hair cc out and so far it seems to be working fine, I got through a full sim-day.
    @Igazor, Thanks for your help. I took my female hair cc out and so far it seems to be working fine, I got through a full sim-day.
    That sounds like progress. So, if you wish to troubleshoot further you might consider adding your female hairs back in a few at a time until the problem (crash) reappears. Or, if you have more than a dozen or two of them, use the 50/50 method through which you add in half of them, if all is clear then half of what remains or if not then remove half of what was just added. By see-sawing back and forth by remaining halves it shouldn't take much time to isolate the culprit(s) even if you had thousands of hairs in that category.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top