Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Painting from Reference - need tips

I'm trying to paint from reference and I am having trouble making my Sims pose and capturing the image - any tips?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    We need a pose option like in all the other games. But reference painting is still way to grainy for me. I just ignore it most of the time. I don't like grainy paintings unless they are actually aged.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I like to set up a microphone near the easel and have the Sim being painted talk on the microphone.
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    @Cinebar - I see your point. I took the graininess as being an impressionist style. I've only done 2 so I am new to this.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,578 Member
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    If you turn off free-will/ autonomy that should help with getting the subject sim to sit still etc.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    @rosemow - thanks - the reference painting info is very helpful. I'll try again.

@NZsimm3r - good idea - thanks
  • JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    I made a garden area near a good view and put a bench, have my subject sim sit on that for the picture
  • JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    If it is not your sim, can get them in a group and 'sit here and chat' before having your sim get up to paint
    @JRBear - excellent ideas. I'm getting better indoors - next step is outdoors.
  • StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    I wanted my sim to paint his family, wife and three kids...no pose button so when I got one where I wanted and went to the other the first was walking away. and so on. I set up different chairs and told them to sit and wife to stand behind...so she turned her back, while I tried to fix the kids all walked away. I also find wonderful things around town, but you cannot take pictures for future paintings and you cannot carry an easel with you. There are few things from TS3 that I wish would be in this game, I like the difference but these are, in my book, necessary features of an artist. I f a musician cant carry the string instruments how could he get tips?
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
    @StilleWater - good points - I agree Sims 4 needs some new features to make painting from reference feasible.
  • dirty_milosdirty_milos Posts: 210 Member
    If I include a painting from reference into my build and upload it into the Gallery, will the users who download my build be able to have my painting from reference in their game?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    If I include a painting from reference into my build and upload it into the Gallery, will the users who download my build be able to have my painting from reference in their game?

I've heard there's a glitch where Paint by Reference artworks are marking the lots as having CC -- I think the developers were looking into it so can't say for sure.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    If you have the " Get Famous " pack... you can have your sim's ' pose '.. this works pretty good .. but does not help with the grainy look for the painting. Also having them ' pose ' when taking a picture with the camera is pretty good also.
  • dirty_milosdirty_milos Posts: 210 Member
    I've heard there's a glitch where Paint by Reference artworks are marking the lots as having CC -- I think the developers were looking into it so can't say for sure.
    I know that having photos in the lot would mark it as having CC, at least it was like that before.

I have uploaded a lot with a painting from reference to the Gallery, and it is not marked as having CC, but I don't know if others can see that painting when they download the lot.
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I wanted my sim to paint his family, wife and three kids...no pose button so when I got one where I wanted and went to the other the first was walking away. and so on. I set up different chairs and told them to sit and wife to stand behind...so she turned her back, while I tried to fix the kids all walked away. I also find wonderful things around town, but you cannot take pictures for future paintings and you cannot carry an easel with you. There are few things from TS3 that I wish would be in this game, I like the difference but these are, in my book, necessary features of an artist. I f a musician cant carry the string instruments how could he get tips?

But you can carry both easel and guitar/violin in your Sim's inventory. Just drag it there or have the Sim put it there themselves.
  • KarinaDKarinaD Posts: 17 Member
    My favorite thing to paint from reference is the nature scenes (with Seasons). I'd have my sim stand on a balcony and paint a Sunrise or Sunset in the snow. One of my favorite cities for nature paintings would be Barnacle Bay. My sim would travel Barnacle Bay with her easel and then when I see something pretty, I'll let her stop and paint that. This makes really pretty paintings :)
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    A Sim meditating can be a cool pose, especially with a serene background. And they tend to stay in that pose long enough to get the shot.

You need to give yourself lots of space, though. I tried doing a portrait in what I thought was a pretty wide hallway, but the edge of the easel kept blocking me from seeing my Sim's subject.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @KarinaD That sounds really pretty! Seasons has added a lot to the aesthetics of the game. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • While I was browsing around the Gallery on the XBox One version, I discovered some paintings of movie posters such as Speed, Braveheart, Jaws, etc. Credit to #Babewire & #PhoenixRaven for posting these amazing film poster paintings. I gotta say, I'm impressed that they actually got my favourite movie from '94 from reference.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2020
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    I'm trying to paint from reference and I am having trouble making my Sims pose and capturing the image - any tips?

My sims hardly ever paint other sims from reference. They paint surroundings. Some easels are even added to community lots like parks for that purpose.

Edit February 18, 2020: Some sims of mine actually painted other sims from reference, but not while they were posing.

Those paintings were made by a sim who died from old age long ago:
    18_02_13.png

18_02_12.png

The apartment was taken over by other sims. One of those sims just made a painting from reference at the gym of San Myshuno.

The name of the painter is Erika Mori. She is painting Astrid Eriksen from the back.

18_02_10.png

18_02_11.png

Note, the sim being painted only has to pose for the same amount of time as when a photo is taken. That's how Astrid is able to watch Erika making the painting.

18_02_14.png

The painting was put on a wall at home.
    18_02_15.png

Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited February 2020
    If you have Moschino Stuff you can use the pose marker even on visiting Sims or hire someone to pose. At least they won't walk away. I tried to have my sim hold their toddler then selected pose but they always put the toddler down first. So I put the toddler in a high chair and placed the pose maker behind the high chair. Then had the dad pose. It worked.

I have also used the pose makers to take large photos. Hung the best one on on the wall and did paint from reference. Just zoom in on the photo so you can't see the edges. You can do panoramic painting this way also. Take photo and move just a little right and take another picture and so on. I usually do 3 large photos of a view I like. Then do a paint from reference of each large photo. Now you have 3 paintings to hang next to each other. Some of the views in the game are really amazing at certain times of day.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I put a couch or chess table near the easel, that helped. I've also engaged the target in conversation while painting, that helped too. I get some super cute images of spouses and friends this way. The flirty ones are hilarious.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Laceyrose wrote: »
    If you have the " Get Famous " pack... you can have your sim's ' pose '.. this works pretty good .. but does not help with the grainy look for the painting. Also having them ' pose ' when taking a picture with the camera is pretty good also.

I didn't know you could get them to pose. Cool!
    Yeah, the bad jpeg graininess is a shame.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    i have get famous, how do i get them to pose?

You can make them stand on the moschino xs but without the camera they don't pose there, might get them to the correct spot anyways.