The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate the sun!

2...Next

Comments

• DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    I burn super easily too, maybe not quite that easily but still very very easily. One day I was walking home from the bus stop and halfway home I decided to take off the extra longer sleeved top I'd worn to protect my arms and especially shoulders (because I knew I wouldn't remember to reapply sunscreen). I was 5 minutes from home and I burned pretty bad.

And sunscreen is almost useless. I have to reapply sooner then the bottle says, and if I'm even 5 minutes late I'll burn. I just *try* to find lots of loose light clothing that covers lots of skin. Sadly, that can be quite the challenge.

Others have said it too, but sun allergy is a thing. So it might not be bad to talk to a doctor, it's probably just the result of being pale but still.

I totally have the thing of my whole body being sensitive too. LOL. Mild asthma (triggered by EVERYTHING), skin is sensitive to EVERYTHING, and my body's temperature sensitivity is awful, especially with heat. I can't handle like any heat at all. Summer is just the worst for me we have heat & humidity, and forest fire smoke bugging my asthma. The heat, well I'm pretty much in a permanent state of heat exhaustion all summer long, and then the sun to fry my skin. I hate summer, not just the sun, but summer. I HATE it. I'm sick all summer long, worn out all summer long... I get so lazy and grumpy and never want to do anything because I'm just so worn out all the time. It plum.

@dreamerz13 We should start a club; we can all have no resilience together! xD

In school (especially lessons like Maths and Art) I work really hard because I love Maths and Art, but when I'm in a permanent state of heat exhaustion during the summer, I go from being one of the most studious students, to being the laziest and grumpiest person in the class! xD
    Movotti wrote: »
    The feels of this thread:
    tumblr_n5fy5bgZRj1ttu71qo1_500.gif
    tumblr_nz74pfHRa61r399heo1_500.gif
    Hpao67F.gif
    eric-lake-burning.gif
    tumblr_nea7h0KOX51rdfgw4o1_500.gif

@Movotti I created the thread that nobody thought they ever wanted or needed; you're very welcome! xD
    There are some medical conditions that can make you abnormally sensitive to the sun, like some types of porphyria. It's sometimes called an allergy to sunlight, although it isn't really an allergy. Apparently sunscreen won't help, but wearing long sleeves and other clothes that cover your skin can help.
    Arletta wrote: »
    When my brother was a toddler, my parents took him out somewhere. It was a warm day. Back then (we're all old now) there was a lot less awareness of using sun protection products. They'd been somewhere, I know not where. I've been told the story so often but I don't think I ever knew where they went. Anyhow, my brother didn't get burned but he ended up screaming the whole night. He literally was diagnosed as being allergic to the sun. It's something that left him as he got older.

@ClassicalSim @Arletta After doing some INTENSE GOOGLE RESEARCH (a.k.a. searching "Sun Allergy" and clicking the first result) my symptoms line up perfectly with 'Solar Urticaria'. If I can be bothered, I'll probably go to the Doctors and get checked out at some point. I didn't know what 'hives' actually were previously, but whenever I'm out in the sun, I get weird blotchy things on my skin that are red and itchy, and now I know that they're hives thanks to the... "lovely" pictures on Google Images. I told my mum about my weird skin rashes from the sun recently and she said it looked like Eczma, but Solar Urticaria makes A LOT more sense, and the rashy/burny thing is definitely hives for sure.

Well, this is annoying; it's typical of me to end up with a rare condition because why the heck not? Why do I never end up with common diseases like Acid Reflux that can be bloomin' permanently fixed? Instead I get random stuff like ITP where I was heading for death by brain damage (six month anniversary of dodging my own death woop woop).

Rant about my personal health aside, at least now I can be happy that I have an excuse for myself if I'm too lazy to go out and it's sunny outside! xD
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    i can't leave the house often or for long because the sun makes me so hot / burned that i collapse after about thirty minutes on a mildly warm day. the humor is that i can be in my house, it can hit 90 degrees F, and i'd be fine. if i step outside though on a 70 degree F day, i'll collapse if i try and walk for a little. it's really inconvenient, and it really stinks, especially because so many people chant about "the emotional healing power of the sun".
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    @DarkSuperNinja Solar urticaria is a new term for me. I'm a medical transcriptionist, so I type medical reports all day about every imaginable medical condition you can think of. I love learning new things about medicine and learning new terms just for fun (yeah I'm a geek), so I looked this one up as well. It certainly does sound like solar urticaria fits the symptoms you described. Apparently just keeping your skin covered when in the sun (or even close to certain types of light bulbs) is the best thing you can do.

I will say, though, that there often is a lot of overlap with medical conditions when it comes to symptoms. It's really difficult to diagnose yourself using google, although I try to do it myself all the time. ;) There are a lot of similar conditions that can have virtually the same symptoms. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although it's annoying and you have to alter your lifestyle to deal with it, chances are 99% of the time it's harmless. It just wouldn't hurt to see a doctor to be sure. It could be something that's completely treatable and instead of having to live with it you could treat it and be rid of it! :)
    @DarkSuperNinja Solar urticaria is a new term for me. I'm a medical transcriptionist, so I type medical reports all day about every imaginable medical condition you can think of. I love learning new things about medicine and learning new terms just for fun (yeah I'm a geek), so I looked this one up as well. It certainly does sound like solar urticaria fits the symptoms you described. Apparently just keeping your skin covered when in the sun (or even close to certain types of light bulbs) is the best thing you can do.

I will say, though, that there often is a lot of overlap with medical conditions when it comes to symptoms. It's really difficult to diagnose yourself using google, although I try to do it myself all the time. ;) There are a lot of similar conditions that can have virtually the same symptoms. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although it's annoying and you have to alter your lifestyle to deal with it, chances are 99% of the time it's harmless. It just wouldn't hurt to see a doctor to be sure. It could be something that's completely treatable and instead of having to live with it you could treat it and be rid of it! :)

@ClassicalSim We're all geeks here! :D

I'm sure I'll survive (fingers crossed). I get hot way too easily, so I guess long sleeves isn't really an option... Maybe I should invest in a parasol? xD
    I'm just having fun melting right now; it's 19°C and I starting to get pretty warm - yay for summer! xD
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    I get overheated very easily too. I can't stand the heat and I always dread summer. We have a big park close by with walking trails and every once in a while I'll see someone using parasol. It always makes me kind of chuckle but I wish I had the courage to use one too, I'm just too self conscious.
  • snowandbriarsnowandbriar Posts: 45 Member
    I don't really know if I burn a lot since I wear sunscreen whenever I go out, but my eyes get extremely bloodshot if I am outside or under lights for a few minutes. So I have to wear sunglasses everywhere and seem like a pretentious jerk.
    I hope everyone on this thread feels better and prepared for the upcoming Spring and Summer...
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    I only burn once when childhood. I'm Asian so my skin tone is easily tan but hardly burn(I'm relatively hardly tan and recover faster as same skin tone). Because personal aesthetic standard I always avoid direct sunlight.
    But my face is very oily and I live in a very humidity but the temperature not count real low city so I always using parasol and wearing sunscreen on body. I still remember one of my classmate said she noticed me when the first day of school military training because I wearing exaggerative foundation but I actually only wearing sunscreen(even it's waterish). The instructor also said my face looking weird. It was no problem when I just wearing it. Luckily I have anterior pelvic tilt so I finally exempt military training🙃
    My city has relatively low UV, full of green belts and fresh air, even typical five day holiday(although it actually 2 more days), but the summer is too horrible. It make people like steam alive. Although the average temperature is 32℃ but it's very humidity. I ever heard a Japanese girl heatstroke when school sports meeting in 28℃ summer, someone said she is too weak, but I heard Japan also humidity. As a person who live in humidity part it isn't weird at all(when I first saw this news I thought"the schoolmaster is insane that started sport meeting in summer")
    In my city even an healthy adult man also have chance that heatstroke in 28℃ summer after strenuous exercise🙃🙃🙃🙃
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2016, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top