Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate the sun!

DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
edited July 2016 in Off Topic Chat
Does anybody else burn literally after 30 seconds in the sun? I DO! :D (and people wonder why I don't leave the house much...)

Seriously though, does anybody else have this problem? It's not like it's a family thing because my mother is Sicilian so she tans very well in the sun, my dad is Welsh/British, but doesn't burn much (if at all) and my sister is almost as pale as me, but only burns if she's out for a long period of time!

It's literally got to the point that, because of my ridiculously pale skin and my horrifically bad tolerance to the sun, I've actually got the nickname of "vampire" from my friends! xD My browny/blacky hair doesn't help the situation at all!
When you feel your own skin sizzling and see it going visibly red after being in the sun for less than a minute, I think I can approve of that nickname (it makes a lot more sense than the ones before it I guess)! :P

I can't be the only person with this problem that DOESN'T (hopefully) have a skin disorder! D: God help me!

Comments

• Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    There was a band teacher like that at my old school. He would always put on sunscreen before going outside at the end of the day :D
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Yeah just use sunscreen.

I once didn't even go red, the skin just peeled off. Very weird.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    @Broncos4life Thank you, random band teacher, for being so relatable! xD God knows how many times I've been looked at weirdly for being slightly shiny and leaving suncream residue everywhere (not that the suncream makes any friggin' difference!)
    @Simpkin I'd love suncream if it actually made a difference! xD For some reason, I still burn slightly (just at a slower rate) and I just feel uncomfortably sticky and/or slimy for a day! The consequences outweigh the benefits too much for me to use it on a regular basis! xD
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Hm, maybe you should go to the doctor.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    You could have natural pale skin so you are more sensitive to the sun. If you really don't get out that much, that's why your skin is so pale and sensitive.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited July 2016
    @Simpkin It's getting to that point now, maybe I should.

I think I'd be more motivated to go to the Doctor if I could actually find something on line that could explain it, but I can't find any such illness! xD Can't go wasting the NHS resources; after Brexit, they're not going to have enough money for people like me going to the Doctor because of a mere sunburn issue!
    edited July 2016
    @Simasaurus09 Despite what I said, I do go out quite a lot with friends, and we do a lot of walking (we all live in the same area, so we just walk everywhere rather than taking the bus, which sometimes takes a while, but it's still better than taking the bus). Luckily, I live in Britain, so sunny days are rare, so sunburn is at a minimum (it takes a good 15 minutes outside to get a burn).

However, due to the fact I do sunburn so badly, I try to minimize the amount of time I'm out, but that in turn makes me more susceptible to sunburning. I could solve this by going out more, but then I have the issue of getting sunburnt even more and that'd put my skin at more risk than it already is! xD It's like a really bad vicious circle that I can't escape!
  • quwfacequwface Posts: 52 Member
    This may sound weird but like... what products do you use in the shower?

My brother had this problem as a teenager, and it turned out to be because he was showering like three times a day in the summer (because he was paranoid about smelling bad around his girlfriend) his skin had basically zero oil and would just instantly fry. He switched to just using unscented soap and non-scented sunscreen and he stopped turning into a blister in direct sunlight.

Also don't worry about the NHS... use it if you need it. I don't want to sound scary but this could become a thing if you ignore it.
    The Foster Legacy: A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge.
    edited July 2016
    @quwface My skin is extremely sensitive (as well as prone to sun-burning) so I use sensitive shower gel as well as sensitive everything! xD They're all non-scented because anything that mildly smells seems to destroy my nose. And I shower every couple of days (once a day in the Summer) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thinking about it, my body is just sensitive! xD I have mild asthma too; I think my body is just really sensitive in general! That's... strange? I guess?

I think this is one of those things where I'm like "Lol I bet this is so relatable" and then I find out I've had some underlying health problem my whole life that like 3 people have had in the last 1000 years or something like that! xD My terrible luck means I'm prone to rare health complications so I won't be surprised! :P
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Seriously though, does anybody else have this problem?
    Yes.

to make it worse, I live in Australia, a country with a very high rate of skin cancer.
    Avoiding the sun is a way of life for me.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    @Movotti Yikes! I always wonder how you Australians survive every day! It's like 16°C in the UK and I die of heat exhaustion, but it's like 1,000,000°C in Australia and everyone's completely fine! D:

We occasionally get Australian kids TV shows on CBBC over here, and it looks VERY HOT, but everyone is casually wearing school jumpers! It confuses me so much! I'd be melted if I attempted that in normal UK weather, nevermind Australian weather! D:
    16°C is cold. That's the current daytime temp, it being winter and all.

Summer is about 30°C, on average, but we get a lot of heatwaves, with multiple days over 35°C, and usually up into the 40's.
    In some parts of the country, the high 30's are normal, and heatwaves are multiple days over 45°C, with it getting as hot as 50°C.

I hate it when it's over 25°C.
    I really need to move to tassie.
    edited July 2016
    @Movotti The only time I remember suffering over 30°C heat was a couple of years ago when the UK had an insane heatwave. It got that bad that some schools actually CLOSED! Meanwhile, I just stopped caring about my education for a good two weeks while I was on the verge of passing out every day! Yay?

16°C is the UK average SUMMER temperature! xD And it's summer here, so it's weird that we both have similar temperatures right now! xD

I salute you for not passing out in the summer yet! :P
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    16°C is cold. That's the current daytime temp, it being winter and all.

Summer is about 30°C, on average, but we get a lot of heatwaves, with multiple days over 35°C, and usually up into the 40's.
    In some parts of the country, the high 30's are normal, and heatwaves are multiple days over 45°C, with it getting as hot as 50°C.

I hate it when it's over 25°C.
    I really need to move to tassie.

It's 35°C here where I'm at too. I think it's probably about 30 at night time.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    When my brother was a toddler, my parents took him out somewhere. It was a warm day. Back then (we're all old now) there was a lot less awareness of using sun protection products. They'd been somewhere, I know not where. I've been told the story so often but I don't think I ever knew where they went. Anyhow, my brother didn't get burned but he ended up screaming the whole night. He literally was diagnosed as being allergic to the sun. It's something that left him as he got older.

As for me, I live in the UK too. I just cover up well. I don't burn. I just have this thing about feeling exposed. So layer up, I guess. It sounds like allergy tests might be a good idea for you though.
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    Does anybody else burn literally after 30 seconds in the sun? I DO! :D (and people wonder why I don't leave the house much...)

Seriously though, does anybody else have this problem? It's not like it's a family thing because my mother is Sicilian so she tans very well in the sun, my dad is Welsh/British, but doesn't burn much (if at all) and my sister is almost as pale as me, but only burns if she's out for a long period of time!

It's literally got to the point that, because of my ridiculously pale skin and my horrifically bad tolerance to the sun, I've actually got the nickname of "vampire" from my friends! xD My browny/blacky hair doesn't help the situation at all!
    When you feel your own skin sizzling and see it going visibly red after being in the sun for less than a minute, I think I can approve of that nickname (it makes a lot more sense than the ones before it I guess)! :P

I can't be the only person with this problem that DOESN'T (hopefully) have a skin disorder! D: God help me!

I hate the sun too! I'm not quite as bad as you, but I do start to burn after about 10 or 15 minutes in direct sunlight. It feels like my skin is frying. I have red hair and blue eyes and I've read that most blue-eyed redheads can't tan. Don't know if it's true, but I've never been able to tan. It has to do with the amount of melanin, or skin pigment, you have. The lighter your skin, the less melanin you have and the easier you burn. I used to know a woman who had black hair, but really pale skin and she couldn't tan either.

There are some medical conditions that can make you abnormally sensitive to the sun, like some types of porphyria. It's sometimes called an allergy to sunlight, although it isn't really an allergy. Apparently sunscreen won't help, but wearing long sleeves and other clothes that cover your skin can help.

Since you have pale skin, it's probably just a lack of melanin that makes you more sensitive to the sun, but it couldn't hurt to be checked out by a doctor, just for piece of mind. If anything, at least you know you're not alone, there are more of us out there. :)
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got brown hair with brown eyes though my skin is so pale it's like an albino's skin.I can actually get a bad sunburn in a few minutes in direct sunlight and it can take a little longer if it's just reflected off a surface from outside and catching me inside.I've had one sunburn so bad I blistered after less than an hour in the sun with the wrong strength of sunblock on.I can't use anything less than SPF 100 if it's sunny out.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    I get burned like after 40-45 min in the sun.. but being in the sun without sunsreen is too bad for me, i already have lot's of small dark marks around my body from the sun. Summer her is like 35-40 C. I hate it it is way too hot and all day i cannot do anything! I can't ride my bicycle because i am afraid that i will have a terrible headacke after that, i cannot go for a walk or anyhting! I try to avoid the sun because it bothers me too a lot, after i get back from work i never get out during the day...I just sit home sweating :s When i go to the beach everyone is lying on the sun to tan and i desperately seek shadow :s And sadly this will last till late september here :)
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited July 2016
    I burn super easily too, maybe not quite that easily but still very very easily. One day I was walking home from the bus stop and halfway home I decided to take off the extra longer sleeved top I'd worn to protect my arms and especially shoulders (because I knew I wouldn't remember to reapply sunscreen). I was 5 minutes from home and I burned pretty bad.

And sunscreen is almost useless. I have to reapply sooner then the bottle says, and if I'm even 5 minutes late I'll burn. I just *try* to find lots of loose light clothing that covers lots of skin. Sadly, that can be quite the challenge.

Others have said it too, but sun allergy is a thing. So it might not be bad to talk to a doctor, it's probably just the result of being pale but still.

I totally have the thing of my whole body being sensitive too. LOL. Mild asthma (triggered by EVERYTHING), skin is sensitive to EVERYTHING, and my body's temperature sensitivity is awful, especially with heat. I can't handle like any heat at all. Summer is just the worst for me we have heat & humidity, and forest fire smoke bugging my asthma. The heat, well I'm pretty much in a permanent state of heat exhaustion all summer long, and then the sun to fry my skin. I hate summer, not just the sun, but summer. I HATE it. I'm sick all summer long, worn out all summer long... I get so lazy and grumpy and never want to do anything because I'm just so worn out all the time. It sucks.

• iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    I burn super easily too, maybe not quite that easily but still very very easily. One day I was walking home from the bus stop and halfway home I decided to take off the extra longer sleeved top I'd worn to protect my arms and especially shoulders (because I knew I wouldn't remember to reapply sunscreen). I was 5 minutes from home and I burned pretty bad.

And sunscreen is almost useless. I have to reapply sooner then the bottle says, and if I'm even 5 minutes late I'll burn. I just *try* to find lots of loose light clothing that covers lots of skin. Sadly, that can be quite the challenge.

Others have said it too, but sun allergy is a thing. So it might not be bad to talk to a doctor, it's probably just the result of being pale but still.

I totally have the thing of my whole body being sensitive too. LOL. Mild asthma (triggered by EVERYTHING), skin is sensitive to EVERYTHING, and my body's temperature sensitivity is awful, especially with heat. I can't handle like any heat at all. Summer is just the worst for me we have heat & humidity, and forest fire smoke bugging my asthma. The heat, well I'm pretty much in a permanent state of heat exhaustion all summer long, and then the sun to fry my skin. I hate summer, not just the sun, but summer. I HATE it. I'm sick all summer long, worn out all summer long... I get so lazy and grumpy and never want to do anything because I'm just so worn out all the time. It plum.

I am worn out too all summer. And my boss is so stingy he doesn't even have a fan for us in the office :s
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've actually wanted to skip summer altogether and go straight from spring to fall without summer.I've been know to be suffering from the heat all summer long and I can't even put clothing on to cover up from the sun so my only option is SPF100 sunblock.I've had at least one burn this year and have gotten them every year when summer starts.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    I had a friend who burned pretty easily because she was really really pale but she was fine as long as she applied sunscreen.

I'm a bit pale myself and I do burn easily but i tan just as easily so sunburns don't last long for me. My sunburn's just become tan after a day, go to sleep with sunburns, wake up with tan.

I agree with the others it kind of sounds like a sun allergy if it's really as bad as described. I'd make an appointment with my doctor if it was me just to be on the safe side plus he/she could probably give you advice on how to protect yourself even if it's not cause by any medical illness.
    The feels of this thread:
    tumblr_n5fy5bgZRj1ttu71qo1_500.gif
    tumblr_nz74pfHRa61r399heo1_500.gif
    Hpao67F.gif
    eric-lake-burning.gif
    tumblr_nea7h0KOX51rdfgw4o1_500.gif
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've got brown hair with brown eyes though my skin is so pale it's like an albino's skin.I can actually get a bad sunburn in a few minutes in direct sunlight and it can take a little longer if it's just reflected off a surface from outside and catching me inside.I've had one sunburn so bad I blistered after less than an hour in the sun with the wrong strength of sunblock on.I can't use anything less than SPF 100 if it's sunny out.

@TadOlson Good sir, you hit the nail on the head! :D My skin is also just like albino skin (didn't think it was until I looked it up). I've never used SPF 100 before; it's hard to get hold of because Britain isn't exactly sun-central. It may actually work though! xD
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top