Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Running Sims 3 on Laptop

I have 2 laptops. One 32 bit and 64 bit. I believe sims 3 is a 32 bit application so having 64 bit doesn't matter. Anyway, I was wondering which laptop my sims 3 will run on? (I don't want to install it on both, it takes way too long). My specs for my 32 bit laptop are Pentium(R) Dual core T4200 @ 2.00GHz.
My 64 bit specs are Intel(R) Celeron(R) N830 @ 2.16GHz.
The answer is probably my 64 bit but I just want to make sure. Which one will run sims 3 better?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Sorry to do this to you, but without more information to go on my answer would be neither.

The reason that 32-bit operating systems are limiting with respect to TS3 is that they can only utilize 4 GB of RAM total. Yes, the game is only 32-bit but Windows and other processes running in the background are going to use up a large chunk of that 4 GB and can far too easily not leave enough behind for the game to use. Also, the Pentium 2 GHz processor is going to be too weak to handle much more than the base game only.

On the second laptop, the Celeron processor isn't really much better than the Pentium one. It might help to know how much memory (RAM) the second one has and what kind of graphics card, but again it's probably going to struggle with anything more than base game only (no EPs) and the prospect for long running ongoing saved games is likely to be very limited.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • CaelemCaelem Posts: 75 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Sorry to do this to you, but without more information to go on my answer would be neither.

The reason that 32-bit operating systems are limiting with respect to TS3 is that they can only utilize 4 GB of RAM total. Yes, the game is only 32-bit but Windows and other processes running in the background are going to use up a large chunk of that 4 GB and can far too easily not leave enough behind for the game to use. Also, the Pentium 2 GHz processor is going to be too weak to handle much more than the base game only.

On the second laptop, the Celeron processor isn't really much better than the Pentium one. It might help to know how much memory (RAM) the second one has and what kind of graphics card, but again it's probably going to struggle with anything more than base game only (no EPs) and the prospect for long running ongoing saved games is likely to be very limited.
    I have TS3, seasons, late night and high end loft stuff downloaded onto my 64 bit laptop. It's works fine. The graphics aren't amazing but are still good enough and there's barely any lag
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Caelem wrote: »
    I have TS3, seasons, late night and high end loft stuff downloaded onto my 64 bit laptop. It's works fine. The graphics aren't amazing but are still good enough and there's barely any lag

We still don't know what kind of graphics card that laptop has or how much RAM. But regardless, glad it's working well for you.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net