Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Pack content

I am just curious if anyone else is a little disappointed, after paying 9.99 for a stuff pack, (which I would think would be "premium" stuff right?) they don't have very high comfort or decorative values, so they don't really improve your sims environment that much. The new kids bed is cute but it doesn't provide much comfort, the stove in the kitchen stuff pack has low values as well....the paintings and posters don't improve the environment much. I just bought 3 stuff packs today, and I don't think I will be buying anymore of them. I don't think you get much "bang" for your buck. Is it just me that feels this way?

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Why do you care about the environment the things give? I only look at beds for comfort because I want my sims to get a good nights rest. The rest of it doesn't matter. Who cares if a picture or a stool give off a +1 or +4?

This pack is good in terms that it is focused on the kids and gives them something to do that is theirs alone. I can have them collect and trade, they can make a group for this new game.

I can have them play with puppets and gain socials.

Environment? Really?
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    @fullspiral Environment used to be a need to previous games, and might well be a hidden need in 4, just like thirst is.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »
    @fullspiral Environment used to be a need to previous games, and might well be a hidden need in 4, just like thirst is.

I don't think so. You can have them have nothing on the lot and they will be the same as someone who has the best of the best.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    @fullspiral I'm speculating about it being a hidden need; without simguru confirmation we don't know for sure, but why else would objects have an environment rating in their descriptions?

And environment IS a need in previous sims games.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    cleo224cleo224 Posts: 87 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Why do you care about the environment the things give? I only look at beds for comfort because I want my sims to get a good nights rest. The rest of it doesn't matter. Who cares if a picture or a stool give off a +1 or +4?

This pack is good in terms that it is focused on the kids and gives them something to do that is theirs alone. I can have them collect and trade, they can make a group for this new game.

Environment? Really?

Because it does affect the sims if they are in a room that is well decorated, they stay full longer if you cook on the best stove, and if they sleep in an uncomfortable bed they will have a negative moodlet for awhile. Environment does make a difference, really.
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    I just looked at the items and they do have a level of comfort and environment. The desk chair for example has a comfort level of 3. Wall hangings have an environment level from 1-4. The items that come in the packs have the normal range of comfort and environments of the base. The higher level items are earned or cheated for in game.
  • Options
    @fullspiral I'm speculating about it being a hidden need; without simguru confirmation we don't know for sure, but why else would objects have an environment rating in their descriptions?

I've no idea. Based on playing a homeless teen who had nothing but a picnic table and grill for a while, and a bed in the middle of the lot with no walls, and a toilet hidden behind one wall vs a very rich family who had everything doubleplus good there was no difference. My homeless sim wasn't sad he didn't have a better table.

Of course, both families got whims to build 1x1 pools. Or some other home luxury. It doesn't make it a need. It makes it a "want". And they do just fine without it.
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member

I've no idea. Based on playing a homeless teen who had nothing but a picnic table and grill for a while, and a bed in the middle of the lot with no walls, and a toilet hidden behind one wall vs a very rich family who had everything doubleplus good there was no difference. My homeless sim wasn't sad he didn't have a better table.

Of course, both families got whims to build 1x1 pools. Or some other home luxury. It doesn't make it a need. It makes it a "want". And they do just fine without it.

I agree my sims are already way over the top happy I don't want anything extra to throw them over the edge.
  • Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited June 2016
    cleo224 wrote: »

Environment? Really?

Because it does affect the sims if they are in a room that is well decorated, they stay full longer if you cook on the best stove, and if they sleep in an uncomfortable bed they will have a negative moodlet for awhile. Environment does make a difference, really.

Not only that, but comfortable beds allow them to get better sleep faster.

Edited for grammar
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    The environment factor is really just used to calculate the strength of the happy moodlet. The more expensive items like showers or beds do fill sims needs quicker but then you can speed that up and grant your sim even better moodlets by upgrading everything with the handiness skill.

I'm pretty sure environmental auras do nothing more than this.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options

Environment? Really?

Mind you, I do make sure they have a decent bed. But as far as pictures and items for rooms, I don't pay much attention. I also got rid of the room and environment buff with a mod because I don't think walking in to a room should change their mood instantly.

So I guess my point is that I don't think those things should be taken in to consideration when they are developing new things. I don't buy packs for that. What things add to environment are the least of my concerns. I hope it's not big on the devs lists of things that matter.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Environment? Really?

Mind you, I do make sure they have a decent bed. But as far as pictures and items for rooms, I don't pay much attention. I also got rid of the room and environment buff with a mod because I don't think walking in to a room should change their mood instantly.

So I guess my point is that I don't think those things should be taken in to consideration when they are developing new things. I don't buy packs for that. What things add to environment are the least of my concerns. I hope it's not big on the devs lists of things that matter.

I really dislike it when they walk into a room and are insta-happy +5 no matter what mood they were in before. Run my game without mods so I stay clear of items that have too much buffing going on. For me +1 is what I prefer.
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    I agree. I also think it's strange that the items you unlock via careers aren't even the best in that category. Like the stove you unlock, etc. So, what's the point in unlocking it, why use it? Some beds have good looking designs but if you don't want your sim to have a bad nights rest, you can't use them. Pointless
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Enviroment is more readily noticable when it's in the negatives (with lots of dirty dishes around, for example). If your Sims home is rarely dirty, and/or items rarely break to cause messes, it's unlikely you'll notice the difference one way or the other with even mid-range items, which is good since those tend to be the ones I like the look of most anyway, lol.

When the enviroment is neutral (empty lot) or better, most Sims are generally happy so you'd have to go looking to notice the effects. Skills generally go faster and needs lower slower the better things are. I do miss back in Sims 1 days where you'd put stuff in the room (or build a home for the first time) and the Sims would go around approving or disapproving based on its value or whatever, lol.

Anyway, more toward the OP, I don't think you need many items to boost a room to max. I don't know what that is, but I assume it's probably 10 or something? Items that give off moods are more important anyway, such as inspired or playful.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    @cleo224 I'd assume that the reason stuff packs don't offer only the items that give +3 environmental aura is due to the fact it would be pretty much like a pay-to-win scenario. At least with those kind of +3 items in the base game everyone has access to them. The packs really add extra nice-but-not-necessary game play items that are specific in theme.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    Environmental buffs from objects are just there to increase/change emotions and or the level of that emotion, I use a mod which negates all environmental buffs from objects and the only consequence is that my Sims don't walk around their houses in a state of permanent bliss. These buffs are just there to facilitate achieving the goals set by the game, as are the Auras - none of which I activate. Ridiculous system, at least in TS3 failing to decorate a room carried a penalty, in this version a half-painted house doesn't matter.
  • Options
    cleo224cleo224 Posts: 87 Member
    Well I guess it is how you play the game, but I like to build and decorate, and those things matter to me. I also like my sims to get the highest possible boost, I like it when they walk into the room and like it. There is a big difference. You have to expand the moods at the bottom to see how well they like the decorations. Some will say simply "decorated" and gives a nice boost, but when you hang the most expensive painting and they are ecstatic with a "beautifully decorated" boost, then I am happy. There are only a few paintings that do that, and they only go with 1 color scheme or style of room so that limits how I can decorate the rooms. The beds have lots of options but if the bed isn't comfortable, I am not going to use it. I also care about the quality of food that they prepare/eat and that means I use only one fridge and stove, which is limited in colors, which again limits how I can decorate/style the room and I find it frustrating. I bought the kitchen stuff pack thinking I would get some sleek new kitchen items and they aren't any "better" than the ones already in the game. I love the new interactions with the kids pack, that isn't what I was referring to at all, I was just talking about the actual objects to decorate/build with.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I am just curious if anyone else is a little disappointed, after paying 9.99 for a stuff pack, (which I would think would be "premium" stuff right?) they don't have very high comfort or decorative values, so they don't really improve your sims environment that much. The new kids bed is cute but it doesn't provide much comfort, the stove in the kitchen stuff pack has low values as well....the paintings and posters don't improve the environment much. I just bought 3 stuff packs today, and I don't think I will be buying anymore of them. I don't think you get much "bang" for your buck. Is it just me that feels this way?

Firstly, you are completely entitled to not like the pack and I respect your opinion. While I feel differently, I'm not going to try and change your mind. However, this is how I feel and why...

Based on TS2 and TS3 stuff packs, which were roughly the same price as TS4 stuff packs, I feel like these are much better value for money. The reason for this is the gameplay element. Stuff packs used to be just recolours or re-meshes of objects that were available in other packs or the store. There is a limit to how many styles of chair I need in my game, and as someone who usually uses custom content, more 'stuff' is not very appealing. It's much more complicated to create player-made gameplay objects and features, so the value in TS4 stuff packs lies in the new gameplay mechanic for me. Kid's Stuff is particularly interesting to me as it has TWO quite complicated and unique gameplay features: the puppet theatre and the Voidcritter gaming mechanics. It also has a very decent amount of clothing and objects.

Stuff Packs have never catered to specifically 'premium' items, although there have been premium or luxury based packs like Master Suite or Luxury Party Stuff in the past. Stuff Packs are more of a themed collection of items and this could be anything really, not necessarily high-end. In fact, a big criticism of early content for TS4 was that it catered too much to the luxury theme.

Stuff packs tend to aim at a particular niche, and every theme will not suit every player. The point of them, I feel, is to offer add-on packs that appeal to different players and help to tailor the game to your taste. You can pick and choose from what is on offer. If you like high-end stuff you might like Luxury Party Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff and the Spa Day Game Pack. What I would recommend when considering a pack is do your research. There are plenty of reviews (both articles and videos) posted within minutes of a new pack being released, and plenty of 'first look' live streams to choose from. In fact, the Maxis team did their own live stream of this pack just last week!

We all make those impulse purchases sometimes and regret them, but if you do your research next time, you might find a stuff pack that you find more appealing and can skip the ones that you don't.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,574 Member
    I really dislike it when they walk into a room and are insta-happy +5 no matter what mood they were in before. Run my game without mods so I stay clear of items that have too much buffing going on. For me +1 is what I prefer.
    Me too. And higher end beds tend to make my sims wake up too early and then they are tired early... they end up going to bed earlier and earlier over time, unless they have a nap during the day.
  • Options
    Me too. And higher end beds tend to make my sims wake up too early and then they are tired early... they end up going to bed earlier and earlier over time, unless they have a nap during the day.

Agree. I avoid using items with a strong environmental buff now.

With the higher energy beds I make my sims nap when they first get home that way they can stay up later doing things I want to do with them as opposed to need-grinding. Although the disco nap from the dance machine trait actually fills energy needs slightly faster than the most expensive bed so my sims all have that trait now and nap. I don't even use beds anymore.

• Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Now that you mention it, it is odd that there is no high comfort kid's bed. I always end up with boring bedrooms for kids since I generally use the best bed I can afford.