The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Q about active career handling

SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
Okay so I'm finally really trying to concentrate on the active careers (scientist). I just wanted to ask if when the job bar, top left, is filled can I change the active sims and still keep the performance up?
You know when you don't go to work with the sim it's harder (or impossible to get promoted) so I thought I'd fill the bar and then change to another sim at home. Would it still count/work?
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)

Comments

• LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    no it wouldn't count as work i tried that and it didn't work
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Okay thanks. I was hoping it would.
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    sorry wish it did at time as well too
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I'va had a sim in the scientist career that I only started to follow to work after they go to L6 and even then it was only because I wanted certain items. It is quite possible to max all the active careers without playing them actively.

It's more fun to play them actively but for some reason I just decided to see if they could max the careers without being actively played.

You certainly don't need to follow your sims to their careers every day, especially not the scientist, if you don't want to, and they will still make very good progress as long as they are focused and you choose the 'work hard' tone.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    As mentioned above in the Scientist Career it is possible for a Sim to get a promotion without you actively going to work with them. Their base requirements are usually to have a certain number of breakthroughs which they can do at home. Then you can send them to work without going with them and they'll get a promotion like you would for meeting the requirements of any of the standard careers. I was actually quite surprised when Mortimer Goth ended up getting a couple of promotions before I'd gotten a chance to go in with him.

For the others I just generally send them to work and make them work hard until their bar is almost full and then go in with them one or two days to get the promotion or when I just feel like going into work with them.
    ~ ~ ~
    Okay, I've got 1 more question. When at work, do I need to fill the work progress bar, will it help me get promotions or can I just collect stuff all day and not pay attention ot the bar at all?
  • CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    I believe filling it helps promotions come more quickly.
  • HyenaCrowleyHyenaCrowley Posts: 54 Member
    If you ignore the bar your progress will either stay the same or decrease. :( After the bar is full you can do whatever you want of course... I found with scientist it gets easier and easier to fill the bar up fully rather quickly. I go when they have something they have to do at work to get a promotion (like for police, solve 2 cases, which they can't do on their own)

I try not to do scientist too often because the sim ray makes it too easy and tempting for me to make a lot of money. ;>>
    Ah thanks guys. I've been trying really hard to fill it, sometimes it's easy, other times not.

The ray is not a problem for me. I have too much money and I'm donating like crazy cause I wanna get rid of it :D

Anyway, now I know I gotta fill it. It's fun. But I was just curious.
    Croxycook wrote: »
    I believe filling it helps promotions come more quickly.

Once it is filled though, you can do what you like for the rest of the day. Also it doesn't actually hurt the performance if you take the occasional day to just do things you want to, it just means that your sim won't advance for that particular day. If you didn't fill the daily work progress tasks everyday your sim would get a warning and then could be fired. :)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    That's what I'n doing. If I get done with the bar, I dig the digsites. The sim has the curator aspiration.
    Sounds like you are having fun. I love playing that career. Haven't played it for a while but I've been able to play it multiple times and enjoyed it just as much as the first.

Oh I'm having so much fun! It's like I'm playing a totally new unplayed game. Well, techincally I am :D cause it's my first time playing the career.
  • CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    I haven't played any of the active careers in such a long time, but I enjoyed them when I did. There were so many cute animations in them all. They were worth it for those alone.

A second tip, if you use the freeze ray on Katrina Caliente, she looks remarkably like Mystique.
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Once it is filled though, you can do what you like for the rest of the day.

It has taken me hours of searching to find this information. Thank you so much. Would you believe that none of the guides for the active careers mentions whether or not you need to keep doing work tasks once the bar is full? I'm going to be doing scientist for the Drifter Challenge soon and wanted to make sure that I could dig and build the rocket once I'm done with the required tasks.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top