Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Genetic traits?

So, one thing that always bothers me about sims 3 is random or chosen traits for children. IMHO, traits should be based mostly on parents or maybe influenced by growing up. Sims 2 did a better job of it to me.
I saw at one point I thought a generator thing where you put in parents traits and it would give you the traits for a child. I'm pretty sure it was related to a challenge or something but I'm not sure.

Comments

• Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    Even in real life ,parents and children can have vastly different interests and personality.so to me it makes sense why they won't always get traits from their parent. Though it would make sense too if they did get at least one trait
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I think with the way traits are in Sims 3, the ideal thing, to me, would be, the initial 2 traits are based on the parents, and the ones from aging up are influenced by their life experiences more.
    I miss the sliding scale system in Sims 2, if that was in place for the sims 3 traits it would rock, like every sim could be somewhere between Neat and Slob, Couch Potato and Athletic, etc.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    I've always chosen the traits for my sim kids so in this respect the autonomous settings of the game don't bother me. I'd love a more genetic approach for non played sims though (especially the kids my heir's siblings get). For my active family I wouldn't like a genetic approach really, because it would mean you play the same traits for generations. I think the game benefits from variety myself.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    For the baby's traits, I pick one from the mother and one from the father. But for the child, teen, and adult, I pick based on the personality of the sim and my plans for their future career. And sometimes they just surprise me. :)
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I generally just randomly roll my traits because I don't care, and I do find that more often than not the kids end up either randomly rolling certain traits that both parents share. That's anecdotal though, and I'm not sure if my mods have anything to do with it. Some of my favourite sims though are ones that are completely random, with traits that I would never have picked for them. So... <shrug>
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio