Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Progression of "The Sims"

So we've all heard the "we're making sims 4 available for all simmers to play, even on low end computers" spiel, when sims 4 was first announced.
But now let's think about this. Any successful PC gaming has always progressed, has always pushed the technological envelope. That requires better computers. So if sims 4 is still catering to lesser technology, someone please tell me how this game can possibly progress if they keep catering to that?

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 has slightly lower requirements than the Sims 3, but you still do need a gaming computer for the Sims; however, the Sims 4 has also become CPU-heavy due to a patch.

The requirements for the game is for desktop, not laptop. Laptops (and all-in-ones) are weaker than desktops. You need a high-end laptop to meet a midrange desktop.

Never look at the minimum - always look at recommended.

The requirements are for base game only.

Playing on a PC with a integrated graphics card will cause your PC eventually to fail/fry itself due to overheating/stressing the system integrated cards aren't meant to do, since they usually do not have the proper cooling for gaming.

You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Honestly, that's still not saying much.
    After how many years of sims I would have expected the need for a gaming computer at "Sims 4"
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    So we've all heard the "we're making sims 4 available for all simmers to play, even on low end computers" spiel, when sims 4 was first announced.
    But now let's think about this. Any successful PC gaming has always progressed, has always pushed the technological envelope. That requires better computers. So if sims 4 is still catering to lesser technology, someone please tell me how this game can possibly progress if they keep catering to that?

Better graphics isn't "pushing the the technological envelope". And I'll have you know that TS4 looks the best in the series especially with the latest lighting update.

Improved gameplay mechanics is what I'd describe as technological advancements. If you want to look at something pretty and really crappy and call it the pinnacle of technology then do it yourself.

Edit: And FYI one of my favourite games is from 2007, I don't care how "bad looking" someone would rate it, I love it, in fact I heard Activision was planning on remaking it/porting it and it's sequel to PS4/XBOX ONE I wanted a PC version (the original version came out for the PC also but they re-did the entire UI and added characters for the PS3 and XBOX 360 at the time so...), but either way I'm exited for it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 712 Member
    The Sims 3 was a heavier game that not many computers could handle, that's why TS4 was built this way and one of the reasons why we have loading screens. It's faster that way but of course we know that as more content gets released, it'll start to demand a more powerful hardware, just like TS3 with all expansion packs.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Better graphics isn't "pushing the the technological envelope". And I'll have you know that TS4 looks the best in the series especially with the latest lighting update.

Improved gameplay mechanics is what I'd describe as technological advancements. If you want to look at something pretty and really plum and call it the pinnacle of technology then do it yourself.

Edit: And FYI one of my favourite games is from 2007, I don't care how "bad looking" someone would rate it, I love it, in fact I heard Activision was planning on remaking it/porting it and it's sequel to PS4/XBOX ONE I wanted a PC version, but either way I'm exited for it.
    I agree it is all about the graphics and less about gameplay.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    I never said anything about better graphics.... which sims 4 does not have anyway. Expand on "improved gameplay" and relate that to how sims 4 gameplay is far more advanced than sims 3/2.
    AlanSims wrote: »
    The Sims 3 was a heavier game that not many computers could handle, that's why TS4 was built this way and one of the reasons why we have loading screens. It's faster that way but of course we know that as more content gets released, it'll start to demand a more powerful hardware, just like TS3 with all expansion packs.
    Yes, "technically"
    After how many years of sims I would have expected the need for a gaming computer at "Sims 4"

There have been many threads in the Technical section that people can no longer play the Sims 4 on their computer due to a patch (or a expansion, stuff pack, or game pack).
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    I never said anything about better graphics.... which sims 4 does not have anyway. Expand on "improved gameplay" and relate that to how sims 4 gameplay is far more advanced than sims 3/2.

Well you have multitasking which is the main feature that TS4 improved upon the other games, also the different types of emotions. Sadly some things aren't as detailed as the past games but the gameplay that exists within the game is overall an improvement and so are the animations.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    AlanSims wrote: »
    And if that turns out to be true then EA/Maxis has not avoided the issues that plagued Sims 3 for some people and it was only a bandaid. However, it is EA/Maxis lack of tweaking that caused problems for some Sims 3 players and the lack of a scaling tool and also problems can be attributed to some players as well.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I play it on a laptop. I've never had issues with the game, but I keep it on low resolution. (I think that's what it's called). So I can't see the beauty of the new lighting, or anything super cool like that.
  • aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member

Are you liking your own comments?
    aclavo wrote: »
    Are you liking your own comments?

It is not possible to like/insightful/awesome one's own comment.

I am not doing it, because I haven't used any of the buttons in a very long time.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    The Sims 4 has slightly lower requirements than the Sims 3, but you still do need a gaming computer for the Sims; however, the Sims 4 has also become CPU-heavy due to a patch.

The requirements for the game is for desktop, not laptop. Laptops (and all-in-ones) are weaker than desktops. You need a high-end laptop to meet a midrange desktop.

Never look at the minimum - always look at recommended.

The requirements are for base game only.

Playing on a PC with a integrated graphics card will cause your PC eventually to fail/fry itself due to overheating/stressing the system integrated cards aren't meant to do, since they usually do not have the proper cooling for gaming.

You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Isn't it considered spam to copy and paste the same post over and over, Colton dear?
    Simanite wrote: »
    Isn't it considered spam to copy and paste the same post over and over, Colton dear?

I did not copy and paste this time; I have typed it all out. :)
  • mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Too hard, too expensive.
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Improved gameplay mechanics is what I'd describe as technological advancements. If you want to look at something pretty and really plum and call it the pinnacle of technology then do it yourself.

Edit: And FYI one of my favourite games is from 2007, I don't care how "bad looking" someone would rate it, I love it, in fact I heard Activision was planning on remaking it/porting it and it's sequel to PS4/XBOX ONE I wanted a PC version, but either way I'm exited for it.

I´d argue that it has been going downhill since the sims 2. Sims 3 was not "pushing the technological envelope" as far as gameplay goes, and I looked awful as a sims 3 sim :'(
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member

Thank you for your trouble.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member

I'll let you off then, this time. :*
    ZhakiraP wrote: »

I´d argue that it has been going downhill since the sims 2. Sims 3 was not "pushing the technological envelope" as far as gameplay goes, and I looked awful as a sims 3 sim :'(
    Sims 3 while it did not have the charisma that Sims 2 had I had a good time with it, Open world, Cast, etc and that was never tried in previous versions(In Sims 2 there was some kind of coloring tool if I remember right) and that is pushing the technical envelope. Sims 4 not a technical powerhouse even with it's emotions and multitasking and it does not make me want to push my Sims hard like it did with previous versions.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    So if sims 4 is still catering to lesser technology, someone please tell me how this game can possibly progress if they keep catering to that?

Where is the lack of progress you're so worried about?

Sims%202016-06-23%2017-49-42-64.png
    06-20-16_12-43-26nbspAM.png
    EiFlric.png
  • tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »

Sims 3 while it did not have the charisma that Sims 2 had I had a good time with it, Open world, Cast, etc and that was never tried in previous versions(In Sims 2 there was some kind of coloring tool if I remember right) and that is pushing the technical envelope. Sims 4 not a technical powerhouse even with it's emotions and multitasking and it does not make me want to push my Sims hard like it did with previous versions.

Personally there are things I like from each. Sims2 had all the little details that made it more special (ex: teens getting acne if they had lower hygiene for a couple of days, random facial expressions, etc.) and the charisma that you mentioned. Sims3 had so many coloring/pattern options that made it more personable, and the expansion packs added a lot of fun things that I liked such as the firefighter profession and laundry and strollers. I like things more life-like. The multitasking in Sims4 is something I really enjoy and miss when I go back to the other games, along with emotions, building, creating a sim, and some other little details.

However, I do get very bored with Sims4 and it feels so repetitive to me and just all in all empty and I don't ever remember feeling that way about the other base games, dating all the way back to the first one (miss that quirkiness). I always felt like there was something fun to do or something new to explore.

So I'm not sure exactly where Sims4 sits on the progression scale when it comes to game play I guess..
  • xXxskulls94xXxskulls94 Posts: 125 Member
    This is a mildly hostile thread.

Anyway, I see your point, @jaxie086, and while one would think TS4 would require better gaming equipment because it's supposed to be "the latest innovation" for our sims, we've seen and discussed in countless threads how TS4 has many holes and isn't the same as TS3, which was harder, per se, on gaming devices. And the graphics aren't bad, they're just different.

Another point: The Sims is well known for burning through graphics cards. So it does make sense that the company would try to lower the gaming standards in order to alleviate that.
    Lastly, how would EA make money if we weren't constantly craving better and more for our Sims? Pessimistic, but just a thought.
    23r0ccn.jpg
    u wot m8
    edited June 2016
    deleted