Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Well, thank goodness for Origin!

I used to ponder: Why Origin? What good is it? Well, no longer!

I recently moved and with the move, I lost my install disk....It's in some box....Soooomewhere...But for the life of me, I can't find it, and on top of that, my old computer is almost on life support. Thankfully, as I reported on an earlier thread (forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878781/so-i-got-a-new-computer-from-my-friend-now-what-do-i-do#latest), I have a generous friend that heard of my delima, and bought me a new (to me) laptop!

Well, imagine my horror when I could not find that disk! Well, on a lark, I said to myself, "Hey, you! download Origin! What do you have to lose?" So, I logged in, downloaded, and Volia! All my purchased games are waiting for me!

But I decided to leave my old sims on the dying PC alone and start over (Yet again!) Yeah, it was a tough call, after all, I have a second generation of cousins living together that I only recently created, but if I made them once, I can make them again, and give them all new memories!

Happy simming all!

911TruthBear

Comments

• Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Back in the day I had the entire Sims 2 collection, but I gave it to my nephew who lost it, got kinda sad but figured hey, I play other games aswell, turns out I could get it on origin for free, so now I always have it without being scared to lose it, woo!
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    In 2011 my house was robbed. Among everything else, they took my computer and all of my software - including all of my Sims 3 disks. I got a new computer with the insurance money, but insurance only covered $250 in media and I lost two or three times that amount in DVDs alone. So for software I had one game - and that was Civilization V which had required I set up a Steam account. Anyway this story is getting way too long, the point is I emailed Origin with my story and since they had all my Sims 3 registrations they set me up with digital copies. It was a good move on their part, I probably would have given up Sims if I had to buy everything again. Now I buy everything digitally.
  • Options
    LemontailLemontail Posts: 360 Member
    In 2011 my house was robbed. Among everything else, they took my computer and all of my software - including all of my Sims 3 disks. I got a new computer with the insurance money, but insurance only covered $250 in media and I lost two or three times that amount in DVDs alone. So for software I had one game - and that was Civilization V which had required I set up a Steam account. Anyway this story is getting way too long, the point is I emailed Origin with my story and since they had all my Sims 3 registrations they set me up with digital copies. It was a good move on their part, I probably would have given up Sims if I had to buy everything again. Now I buy everything digitally.

What kind of a robber that plays The Sims 3? Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited June 2016

Yes, nice to know that if something horrible happens like robbery, fires, floods, tornados or whatever other disaster, we can still access to our games digitally. I'm being serious, I realize that could sound snarky, but when you're going through an awful experience like that, every little piece of getting back to some point of normalcy is huge, instead of just another thing you have to add to the list of things to worry about/lose/take care of.

I've switched over to digital on games and music (though I still have my CDS it's all copied on iTunes/cloud) but my DVDS ugh. I've got about 800 DVDS and nothing on digital....I would just cry if I lost them all.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2016
    For anyone still using disk based games I recommend using the free Belarc Advisor download. It doesn't work for Origin downloads though.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Plus a full rundown of the makeup of your machine you get a full list of your disk registration numbers which you can copy and paste to Notepad and put on The Cloud, One Drive or a USB key which are useful to prove as bought and redeem your games. It also has the Microsoft registration numbers and hotfixes you might need to do for your security.

Never had to try it but it might be proof for getting a stolen machine back?
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    We dont need origin for that actually. We can save our saves online or in a usb, email blabla.
    Only the game is digital saved on origin, but still not a fan of that. I like the nostalgic way if dvds anyway and if they break or loose.. Well.. Yeah ok origin cones in handy. If only that wad the obly purpose.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    If only Origin can keep our sim save files in the cloud, that would be even better. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    I am glad that your game and packs are now installed onto your new laptop @911TruthBear :) I hope that you are settling in well to your new home after your move.
  • Options
    911TruthBear911TruthBear Posts: 626 Member
    Well, so far, it has been over 18 hours....Is that normal? And yes, I have cable internet! I DO NOT have dialup, lol! :):p
  • Options
    Well, so far, it has been over 18 hours....Is that normal? And yes, I have cable internet! I DO NOT have dialup, lol! :):p

Hello
    It is a long time that it is taking to download. If you are using wifi, instead of that, turn the wifi off and connect directly to the router instead.
    Close down any other programs on your computer that also are usubg the Internet at the same time,
  • Options
    Oh, so whip out my yellow Cat 5 cable? Okay! :)
  • Options
    Well, as of 5:05 PM Iowa Time today, I got ALL 13 of my game packs, stuff packs, etc all transfered over and updated to my "new" computer! Time for some libation! B)

Now, I just gotta copy my mods and saved games! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Well, as of 5:05 PM Iowa Time today, I got ALL 13 of my game packs, stuff packs, etc all transfered over and updated to my "new" computer! Time for some libation! B)

Now, I just gotta copy my mods and saved games! :)

I am glad that the base game and all the packs are all installed now :) That is great!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2016
    Even on cable internet DL time is dependent on the DL speed, some people can dl files faster than others depending on what tiers your ISP offers. I am with Comcast and use Blast which gives me speeds over 90 Mbps also your DL speed depends on what router is rated at.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen