Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weather and night/day in freeplay

marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
You can have

Snow
Rain

And change it from Night and day.

Only just noticed lol!

Still pretty neat to have show and rain
Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

Comments

• Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Is there a setting to make it have weather naturally?
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Is there a setting to make it have weather naturally?
    This will often happen naturally. But later in the game you can buy a weather machine which you can read more about on http://thegirlwhogames.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/the-sims-freeplay-an-alien-concept-weather-machine-quest/
  • SimGuruEmmaSimGuruEmma Posts: 118 SimGuru
    ^ @Erpe's got you covered there! TheGirlWhoGames is a fantastic TSFP resource and she's also a very awesome friend of ours!
    Community Engagement Manager - The Sims FreePlay + The Sims Mobile - Firemonkeys and Maxis
    ^ @Erpe's got you covered there! TheGirlWhoGames is a fantastic TSFP resource and she's also a very awesome friend of ours!
    Yes. I wondered how she was able to bring screenshots from all the higher levels in the police career immediately when this new career came with the update. Is she a game tester for you with early access to such updates or do you just give her such pictures as a kind of special service for her website?
  • MusicMeg222MusicMeg222 Posts: 163 Member
    How can you change the weather?

And, dumb question... I noticed when I play at night, it's dark outside within the game and when I play during the day, it's light. Does this go by the current time I'm playing and adjust to that? I found it interesting, but wasn't sure how it worked.
    @MusicMeg222 Yes. It is dark when it is night where you live and light in the day. Sunset and sunrise don't happen at exactly the same time as in your real life though because Firemonkeys probably didn't believe that it was worth it to make the game that realistic. I am not sure exactly which hours that are night hours in the game though. So I need to remember studying this a little more. I believe that night in the game probably is something like from 9 pm to 5 am or similar. But are those the correct hours?

The weather machine can change night to day or day to night. I bought it a few days ago because I needed to have 5 sims figure skating at the same time and at most 4 sims can figure skate in the snow park. So I used the weather machine to make it snowing in a house with a pool. This made the pool change to a frozen place where my fifth sim could skate too :)

I don't need to use my pool this way anymore. So I changed the weather to random and it has been raining most of the time since I did that.
    Where do I buy a weather machine from?
    Where do I buy a weather machine from?
    You buy it in the home store under the electronics tab. Both the weather machine and the snow park unlocks when you have done a quest which should be available at level 16.
  • OliverSimOliverSim Posts: 2 New Member
    Like Erpe said, the weather machine lets you control the weather and day-night cycle on the lot you place it in. But after you finish building the island Castle's Throne Room, then you can issue a royal decree that changes the weather everywhere in your town for a day. It's pretty awesome.
    I don't have a weather machine, but I went to the park to complete a task for the seniors quest and it's raining! It's the first time I've seen rain within the game. The weather will automatically change even though I don't have a weather machine?
  • SimGuruEmmaSimGuruEmma Posts: 118 SimGuru
    Yep, to a certain extent but if you're after a particular sort of weather, the Weather Machine is the way to go :)
    Community Engagement Manager - The Sims FreePlay + The Sims Mobile - Firemonkeys and Maxis
    Interesting. Will it automatically snow too?
    Interesting. Will it automatically snow too?
    If you use the weather machine to select snowing it will and the pool will freeze so it can be used for ice skating instead of swimming. It probably also will snow if you select snow day as a decree (even though I haven't tried this yet). You can read much more about decrees on https://thegirlwhogames.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/the-sims-freeplay-the-castle/
    Be careful with the snow day decree because it has a side effect which you should consider before using it.

I just experienced this side effect which is that the public swimming center can't be used for swimming again before the snow day ends. It froze up and became a place for ice skating instead.

Fortunately I had the weather machine too. But it can't be used in public places. So instead I had to use it on a private lot with a swimming pool to remove the snow day from this lot. Then I had to buy a swimming board so my sim could train swimming on this private lot instead of doing it in the public swimming center ;)