Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited February 2019
    On the subject of evil and bad characters, I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said thus far, @Maladi777 and @Piazzagirl1015. I particularly enjoy writing difficult, morally grey, struggling, inherently flawed and broken characters. My LASL and probably H4TH would be the exceptions, but even LASL had a a dark moment with Vlad.

My favorite part about writing flawed and broken characters is the path to discovering a character's boundaries. It stretches me as a writer, and helps me branch out of my comfort zone to get into difficult and even criminal characters' heads. I also like the potential option for redemption, but it always comes at a price. Plus flawed and broken characters who live in a morally grey area are interesting to explore and just fun.

What about the rest of you? Have you ever written a criminal (or otherwise deeply flawed) character in one of your Sims' stories? If so, what was it like? What challenges did you face?

i made elsa evil once. my challenge with that is simple my online best friend loves her so if i go to far she turns in to a passionate reader,\\

thats where the reader gets so involved they yell.lol
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    edited February 2019
    I sure do have a bad girl side and I'm not afraid to show it sometimes. :D But thank you for thinking so highly of me. I'm not sure I deserve it.

well you did come up with a way i could be part of book club when my eyes are bad.

she might not see this but pg is a favorite of hers so i'll put it here anyway.

mal let me make coffee for bc. virtual coffee has none of the side effects of the real stuff

I wanna see this bad girl side. :grimace:

since your legacy is simselves you could always write it. lol.

Is that a request? :wink:

no i don't want mal to kill you.i love you too much to see you turn in to a pancake. :)

I'm quite confused at this line of conversation. :confused:

sorry it started qhen i commented about being suprised mal had a bad side.

then joseph said he wanted to see her bad side meaning the mean girl side

i said he could just write it in the simselves

then when he asked if it was a dare or whatever i said no because i decied it was a bad i. idea

we were just playing around sorry.

You said you had a bad girl side.
    I sure do have a bad girl side and I'm not afraid to show it sometimes. :D ....

Post edited by LegacySims2017 on
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    edited February 2019
    @friendsfan367 I get it now. I reread back and saw you quoted her, but didn’t have the actual quotes around the text. This is my bad. @Maladi777 made that quote. And here I was hoping you had a bad girl side. I don’t have her sim selfie unfortunately yet. It would be fun to have a sim selfie portrayed in my #BuildNewcrest with a bad side using @Maladi777 ‘s concept of it could be a bad side to one person, but a normal to another.

@AdamsEve1231 Sorry for all the confusion as well. I misread one thing and probably turned the conversation upside down. :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    edited February 2019
    @friendsfan367 I get it now. I reread back and saw you quoted her, but didn’t have the actual quotes around the text. This is my bad. @Maladi777 made that quote. And here I was hoping you had a bad girl side. I don’t have her sim selfie unfortunately yet. It would be fun to have a sim selfie portrayed in my #BuildNewcrest with a bad side using @Maladi777 ‘s concept of it could be a bad side to one person, but a normal to another.

@AdamsEve1231 Sorry for all the confusion as well. I misread one thing and probably turned the conversation upside down. :grimace:

i think that i just copied and pasted the one part because but i probably just qouted the thing that suprised me. i plan to try and get active here again after my teeth heal. surgery is friday but i just found out i'll need to be on antibiotics so between that and them knocking me out i might not be here alot friday if at all.

sorry to joseph too. copying just the part i want is easier for now i wasn't trying to confuse anyone

i think that i just copied and pasted the one part because but i probably just qouted the thing that suprised me. i plan to try and get active here again after my teeth heal. surgery is friday but i just found out i'll need to be on antibiotics so between that and them knocking me out i might not be here alot friday if at all.

Make sure you rest and eat lots of ice cream. :)

We’re not going anywhere. We’ll be waiting here for you and those fun Benders while you rest and heal.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif

Make sure you rest and eat lots of ice cream. :)

We’re not going anywhere. We’ll be waiting here for you and those fun Benders while you rest and heal.

i just can't read well with writing i have control of the words. not the benders but i have control of what i write lol
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    edited February 2019
    On the subject of evil and bad characters, I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said thus far, @Maladi777 and @Piazzagirl1015. I particularly enjoy writing difficult, morally grey, struggling, inherently flawed and broken characters. My LASL and probably H4TH would be the exceptions, but even LASL had a a dark moment with Vlad.

My favorite part about writing flawed and broken characters is the path to discovering a character's boundaries. It stretches me as a writer, and helps me branch out of my comfort zone to get into difficult and even criminal characters' heads. I also like the potential option for redemption, but it always comes at a price. Plus flawed and broken characters who live in a morally grey area are interesting to explore and just fun.

What about the rest of you? Have you ever written a criminal (or otherwise deeply flawed) character in one of your Sims' stories? If so, what was it like? What challenges did you face?

Tried to. Failed miserably. XD and working on putting her back in fleshed out in a chapterbook rewrite novel that I'm doing for the story. It expands on tons of the story and is like... The second draft" .

I am seeing the need for criminals in another story that I haven't started writing yet, just took notes. I finally started playing Sims 3 and with the story progression thing someone important to the story wants to rule the world and someone else important became a detective... So xD game says do it shadami!
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    Have you ever written a criminal (or otherwise deeply flawed) character in one of your Sims' stories? If so, what was it like? What challenges did you face?

Obviously I have written many criminal character as I think I'm the only one who would ever have a Fae Mafia. (Correct me if I am wrong on that one) All my characters are flawed including my good characters. Caleb who is a detective works too much and carries the baggage of being abandoned as a child is his flaws. Chrissie who is the most innocent and likable of my sims suffers from a low self esteem which her parents didn't seem to recognize as she was growing up. That left her vulnerable to someone like Dimitri who gaslighted her. Dylan rejects his magical powers that are so strong the witches council is always urging him to work on. Maybe if he had it would have helped him when he was kidnapped. If the character has faults that makes the character more realistic as no one in this world is perfect. If a person claims to be perfect well that might be their biggest flaw right there
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    Shadami wrote: »

Tried to. Failed miserably. XD and working on putting her back in fleshed out in a chapterbook rewrite novel that I'm doing for the story. It expands on tons of the story and is like... The second draft" .

I am seeing the need for criminals in another story that I haven't started writing yet, just took notes. I finally started playing Sims 3 and with the story progression thing someone important to the story wants to rule the world and someone else important became a detective... So xD game says do it shadami!

If a criminal character doesn't work for your writing you do not have to write that aspect in if you want more drama. Just giving a character a flaw like you did with Candy in your ISBI story works. She wasn't a very good mother and took favorites with her children but eventually at the end she changed and now has a relationship with all of her children. While I was angry with her throughout the story, I thought she was your most diverse character.

So if the criminal element doesn't seem to work for your writing style you shouldn't force it. That will only make you hate the story. Just develop the character in your mind and don't be afraid to have them make mistakes. The reason there are erasers on pencils is because people do make mistakes.

@AdamsEve1231 I think I want to do My 7 Sins story this time. :smiley: and I'll pull together some questions.

Do you want a summary for this one as well?
  • candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    edited February 2019
    @candycottonchu @Maladi777 @Shadami @AdamsEve1231 @LegacySims2017

I would like to thank all of you for reading my story and the answers to the discussion questions especially the predictions. I have to say I love all the possible scenarios that you came up with especially discovering Atlantis ( @candycottonchu was onto something with this prediction as his ltw is grand explorer) to teaming up with other mermaids but that is not going to happen. I do hope you will like the story I have planned out and I hope you won't get too angry at me at an upcoming event.

I love @Maladi777 's explanation about evil characters because I feel the same way. Goody two shoe characters who are perfect all the time and always do the right thing bore the hell out of me but a villain moves the story and makes it more interesting.

I'm pretty sure I'll like anything you like. I just let my mind stroll a bit :)

About those "good" characters, that always are perfect and do the right thing... I'm pretty sure they can cause a lot of drama too, because just because one does something with good intentions, doesn't mean it always turns out well c:
    Those can come in handy for some mean plot twists xD

@AdamsEve1231 I don't really have anything I'd like to focus on. I'm just happy if people give me any feedback on it.

Have you ever written a criminal (or otherwise deeply flawed) character in one of your Sims' stories? If so, what was it like? What challenges did you face?
    If you mean convicted criminal, then no.
    If you mean someone that commits crimes, then definitely. Also, if you mean someone that is suspected to be a criminal, then I have also.
    Both are in Paris :)
    I'd say the only added challenge to write any other character is that if you want to bring in a legal executive element you might want to do some research on that topic. Unless you decide you're in a world with your own laws.

Oh and before I forget, I do have one question for the readers @everyone :

I have written quite a big chunk of Mae's and Francesco's past in Paris already.
    Do the new revelations of their past help you understand Mae's and Francesco's motives/characters/actions of the present time better? Do you see both of them differently than how you saw them in season 1?
    For those who didn't already, you might want to check back on my story again. I have written a few updates since my last turn, including today.
    Post edited by candycottonchu on
    even though i want to participate. one of my meds is a pain killer so words might not make sense. once i don't need it anymore i can catch up.
    Yeah I was actually trying to figure out where I left off in Paris, but I can say from what I remember that yes, it absolutely helped clear up some of their actions in the present.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hey everyone,
    we're discussing @candycottonchu's story this week. I'm popping in to say I have the flu and a 5 day headache/recovering from dehydration. I may not be here as much as I'd like this week until I'm better. If someone else wouldn't mind picking up the slack, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Hey everyone,
    we're discussing @candycottonchu's story this week. I'm popping in to say I have the flu and a 5 day headache/recovering from dehydration. I may not be here as much as I'd like this week until I'm better. If someone else wouldn't mind picking up the slack, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

sorry your feeling bad aande. i think the only reason it missed me was because i'm taking antibiotics for my teeth.
    Hi everyone, I'm starting to feel better. Looks like I'm still dealing with side effects of my concussion last December.

I hope you're all doing well.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I've been rereading @candycottonchu's NBHT: Retrospective Paris, reminding me why I've enjoyed it. :) Hopefully you've all had an opportunity to read too. We might dip into next week a little since I'm behind and there hasn't been much activity here. I've got a few questions for you all.

For @candycottonchu
    1. What inspired you to write Paris?
    2. What made you choose the city of Paris as your locale?
    3. How did you choose Francesco and Mae for a back story feature?

For the readers,
    1. What are your initial impressions?
    2. If you've read Neighbourhood Talk, how is Paris similar or different? (Use spoilers).
    3. What are your thoughts about the real life setting of Paris?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    1. What are your initial impressions?
    I was looking forward to something more from @candycottonchu as I was caught up on NBHT.
    I knew it would take on a slightly different tone because of the serious subject matter and opening. I really despised Diego. It was nice to see a younger Linda and Mae at the end of the first arc.

2. If you've read Neighbourhood Talk, how is Paris similar or different? (Use spoilers).
    We have a not so worldly wise, fresh faced Mae ...and a not so strong Francesco too, though he seems a bit battle weary. Still the same binge worthy writing.

3. What are your thoughts about the real life setting of Paris?

Paris is an ideal setting. The famous city with high expectations of culture and magic, but all that glitters is not gold.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 Thank you very much for taking your time and asking questions and your reply <3
    I really appreciate it.
    I'm glad to read you feel better, and hope you can relax until you fully recover.

1. What inspired you to write Paris?
    I felt like Mae's and Franny's relationship was something special that needed more than just random flashbacks in between. I didn't know exactly how it would develop, but it's fun to discover it while writing.
    2. What made you choose the city of Paris as your locale?
    When I introduced Mae in the story, I needed a reason why she wasn't there before xD So I let her come back from her education in a foreign country, and since she's a cook, I settled for Paris. I guess the movie Sabrina gave me some inspiration. It was a spur of the moment thing.
    3. How did you choose Francesco and Mae for a back story feature?
    Same as 1.
    Oh my God, I feel terrible, time just slipped away from me lately. I have the story open in another tab to reread and freshen my memory and I keep doing other stuff.

Baby/anniversary/children.
    Sorry about your concussion still acting up. I have how long those things can last.

1) I recall being curious about learning more about the characters and the Paris incident that kept getting mentioned so I was excited to read it.

Paris really is a lovely place for food... <3 I'm glad you decided to delve deeper into their relationship.

2) well for one, it was slightly easier to keep track of all of the characters. :3 but they were both excellent reads.

@candycottonchu thanks. I caught up on chapters, but Blogger gives me grief on my phone when I try to login and comment. Do you have a thread here on the forums? I can comment there.

More questions for you...
    1. Who is your favorite NBHT Retrospective Chracter to write? Who do you love to hate?
    2. How do you handle worldbuilding... adding in little elements to expand the world of these Sims?
    3. Any sneak preview or plans you want to share?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I had fun with these questions last time.

For everyone...
    Character Roulette
    Based on the characters in @candycottonchu's NBHT Retrospective: Paris, who would you....

...avoid meeting in a dark alley
    ...moonlight at a night club with
    ... go to a party with
    ...take out on a date or a night on the town
    ...slap silly... or at least get into an argument with
    ...share an apartment with

Use spoilers if you need.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @Shadami how goes baby stuff? Happy belated anniversary.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm sorry, it seems blogger has issues with logging in and commenting.
    Here's my forum thread.
    edited February 2019
    @Shadami how goes baby stuff? Happy belated anniversary.

aniversary? still on meds so A little confused