Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• CreamierThanMamiCreamierThanMami Posts: 684 Member
    Thanks for the compliment, @xJojox!
    Fotor0510194637_zps0hyuxnv8.jpg
    If you like my story, contributions to my wishlist are appreciated!
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @Simcraft81 I'm all caught up on your stories. I enjoyed Alvi's story the most I think, although Victor's story was very interesting too.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Can't wait to read, @Simcraft81!
    @JLBDreamer I just got caught up on Gen 1 of Wilder Hearts and I thoroughly enjoyed it and the ending. I'm looking forward to Gen. 2.
    @CreamierThanMami, @JulyVee, and @xJojox I hope to get caught up on the additional chapters this weekend.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm still catching up on yours! I like it!! :D It's cool how that 'well known' Sim is in our stories ;) Makes her back story that much awesome lol
    Nice work, @xjojox :) all caught up!
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited July 2016
    The new chapter is up.

Wild Hearts: The Wilder Vampiracy
    Generation 2

ypriryp.jpg?w=700
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Still catching up on Kass' story :/ my bachelor's thesis is leaving me little time. My own story hardly gets updates
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Still catching up on Kass' story :/ my bachelor's thesis is leaving me little time. My own story hardly gets updates

I totally understand. I'm in grad school right now and masters level courses are definitely demanding a lot of my time. Any college courses can be challenging. What degree are you going for, @Julyvee94, if you don't mind me asking?

Kass's story is long... I know... I've been at it for awhile. ;) But I hope you're enjoying.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    FINALLY! I got a new mouse, so I can update my story. You wouldn't believe how infuriating it is to play the Sims without one.
    Hooray! All caught up on everyone's stories. Finally... I like how we have such unique, diverse and creative storytellers among us. I'm looking forward to reading more of your tales soon. I need to get some sleep after an exhausting day but I'll post more soon about the group.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    i took 6 days to update my story... so im trying to make it up to people by pumping out another chapter as quick as i can :)
    Hooray! All caught up on everyone's stories. Finally... I like how we have such unique, diverse and creative storytellers among us. I'm looking forward to reading more of your tales soon. I need to get some sleep after an exhausting day but I'll post more soon about the group.

I like the idea of a reading circle! It's like we are each other's fans and supporters :)

@everyone
    Hello Willingly Writing Reading Circle, I apologize if I've been MIA for a few days. My weekend was busy and I ended up with a two day headache this week. I'm still a bit lightheaded at times, but I'm doing better.

July 9th has passed (which was our sort-of imposed caught-up-on-reading day) but if you're not caught up, that's totally okay. We won't start nominating a Sim of the Month (SOTM) until the final week of July. If you need a refresher on the guidelines, click here. @CreamierthanMami can you still handle creating the place for us to vote?

First, I figured we can do 1 of 2 things for nominations - 1) Send our nominations to @CreamierthanMami via PM, or 2) Post our nominations here. Thoughts?

Secondly, we need to pick our theme for August's SOTM. I have a couple suggestions, but I'd like to hear all of your thoughts.

I am caught up on everyone's stories unless there have been new posts since Sunday night (and there could very easily be). How's everyone else doing?

Now that housekeeping items are done, I'll post our first discussion question in my next post.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I love learning about cultures. I enjoy finding random wacky holidays from around the world and finding an excuse to celebrate. I've been thinking about July and the various holidays around the world from this month and trying to find a good discussion topic to come from this research.

July 4th, although it has already passed, is the American Independence Day. I am grateful to live in a country with so many freedoms. But I didn't want to stop there so I looked up related-ish holidays in the month of July.

In 2 days, the French celebrate Bastille Day or French National Day. For those of you who don't know, the day commemorates the storming of Bastille, a medieval fortress and prison in Paris in 1789, and Fête de la Fédération, the celebration of the unity of the French people in 1790. This ushered in a new type of government shifting from the ancient regime to a constitutional monarchy with a representative assembly. The word Fête means a celebration or festival.

Another intriguing festival is the State of Exit in Serbia. This is a four day eclectic music festival held every July with the goal of providing "relevant entertainment to the Serbian youth while giving them ground to understand current social topics going on around the world," according to this website. This sounds like a fascinating experience.

Panafest is held in Ghana, Africa every two years in July and August to promote the ideals of Pan-Africanism and African development and reveal truths about African history and experiences through the use of arts and culture. This sounds like another incredible festival.

All of these festivals or celebrations represent freedom, independence, and unity. Each of the additional festivals mentioned on the website that I visited illustrates a desire for national or at least local festival designed to bring people together for a common purpose of entertainment, commemoration, and/or celebration. I thought it would be interesting to discuss our stories under the banner of these broad themes.

What elements of freedom, independence, and/or unity do you feel your SimLit stories illustrate? What happens when freedom, independence, and unity is missing either in your stories? What celebrations do you utilize in your stories and what is their importance or significance?

You can also choose to answer based on your observations of each other's stories in this circle. If you want to mention an additional story our circle isn't following, that is okay too, but I think we should probably focus on the stories our circle is following. Feel free to answer one, two, or all three or none of the above questions or propose a related question of your own.

There's no time limit on response. We'll just start discussing and see where it takes us. It's my goal to try and provide a guided question once a week, or at least every two weeks (if I get busy or we've got a great discussion going on one topic) and I'm happy to have someone else guide the discussion if they would so choose. :)

Happy Simming!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited July 2016
    'Freedom and Independence' Refer to @JLBDreamer 's "Wild Hearts" If you haven't read Gen 1 Chapter 12, Spoiler Alert.

I liked reading about Erica making plans and working behind Vlad's back. She loved him but Vlad seemed to want to control her more than just 'groom' her into a skilled member of the group. She wanted to do something that would show how valuable she was and felt she'd never be happy until she made those moves. Even when she involved Freddy, she let him know that it she's not planning to go in the direction he'd hoped for. She did it for her.

When I made my Sim, Victor, I thought of someone who was a free spirit, didn't care what other people thought, and confident in himself. The epitome of self expression that could inspire myself or others who read about him.
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on
    edited July 2016
    What elements of freedom, independence, and/or unity do you feel your SimLit stories illustrate? - Interestingly enough, I think it's quite the opposite for my stories. Mine focus more on finding the freedom in everyday life when your entire existence is enslavement.
    Ginny had no choice in becoming the goddess' choice for saving the world. Fawn comes from a quite literal slave species. The children are expected to go off into the world and change it - that's why they were born, after all.
    There's an element of unity in being told what you have to by the goddesses, which I plan to play with in my story later.

What happens when freedom, independence, and unity is missing either in your stories? - The story proceeds as normal, of course! It's a major plot point that it's missing.

What celebrations do you utilize in your stories and what is their importance or significance? - There are no direct holidays, but there is the constant celebration of life as new children come and go. Ginny giving birth to a child is understanding that they will leave and never return sooner rather than later. Every birthday is a step further out the door. And that's a major part of 1,000 Miles.
    Post edited by CreamierThanMami on
    A new chapter is coming out soon! Just have t get my screencaps in order. But here's a teaser:

146612465629473.jpg

Guess who?
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    What elements of freedom, independence, and/or unity do you feel your SimLit stories illustrate?

I really love @Simcraft81 about freedom and freewill as it applies to Erica. My whole Gen 1 and the play its based on is at its core about how society tends to box us in and limit our freedoms and that it can be tough (whether by societal convention or our own personal view of self worth) to find a place where we feel comfortable and whole. Sometimes a person takes away their own freedom because they lack the confidence or skill to take independence. Some never recognize they are capable of more and are content to live in whatever structures are set in place.
    Erica grows into finding her own self worth and confidence and it takes a lot for her to stand up to Vlad and realize she can accomplish her goals. The take-over, in her own way without a violent confrontation, was the culmination of that growth. I tried to show that growth in her character and even reflect it in her speech and grooming.

What happens when freedom, independence, and unity is missing either in your stories?

Gen 2 follows that theme in focuses more on unity. It is based on Romeo and Juliet about a feud that spoils unity. In my story's case the divisive force is the views of vampirism. Often times fear or prejudice causes us to limit freedoms but that in turn sparks disunity and that is no exception to the climate of the city in Gen 2. In a sense, putting a "human" face to the consequences makes the lack of freedoms relatable and help people unite. That's always what I took away from Romeo and Juliet and what i hope to reflect in Gen 2 also.

What celebrations do you utilize in your stories and what is their importance or significance?

It sort of depends on the story but I do often include the Seasons Holidays in my Sims 3 Stories. In Wild Hearts I've only used Spooky Day so far and I did that mostly because the use of costumes in that scene just made humans mingling with vampires seem more plausible. I've never really centered on celebrations as being significant to the story unless they are significant to the character.
    edited July 2016
    Good news, everyone! A new chapter of 1,000 Steps is out! Ginny finally decides to confront Joon on a few things...and doesn't like what she hears.
    Screenshot-12.jpg
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Hey guys :( I didn't really have time to read or write these past few weeks. I'm doing my bachelor's thesis and it's taking a toll on me. Of course I have free time but when I get home after work all I wanna do is nap and then watch netflix... so I'm not sure if I can keep up with my reading :( you guys are all awesome and since I've peaked at all stories I know you're awesome writers too!

So please forgive me if I'm not around that much :( My own stories barely get updates these days so I'll guess I'll just be less around until september. *hugs*