Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Add "Manage Neighbourhood" - Control Townie Creation, Assign Your Sim as NPC!

Comments

• Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @Terra I wish hope this will be added!

Hahaha I know right? I feel like some of my ideas would be easier to implement than others. I really don't see why it would be hard to implement something similar to TS2:OFB's retail system where your played Sims could disappear from 9 to 5 in rabbit hole retail employee jobs for GTW, or Maid/Postal Worker/Librarian/etc jobs! That, at least, doesn't seem like it should be so hard, even if some of the more advanced population controls are unlikely to come.
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    edited September 2016
    I would love the ability to be able to manage neighbourhoods, particularly since I've had trouble with exactly what you describe. I have tried to create a neighbourhood that matches another country (a little difficult with the "New Orleans" aesthetic in Willow Creek) and usually I just pretend the townies are tourists but that only goes so far.

I would love to be able to turn off townie generation or be able to set it to a minimal level so my game doesn't get overwhelmed with them.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd love something like this! I like to micro-manage my Sim world and I'd love to assign NPC roles and things like that. :)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Not being able to move particular nonplayed NPCs into houses without them losing their jobs is driving me plum today. I want to be able to move repairmen, fishermen, gardeners, rangers, restaurant critics, mailmen, and pizza delivery people into houses so they'll be visitable. But they lose their jobs entirely or stop showing up for them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Not being able to move particular nonplayed NPCs into houses without them losing their jobs is driving me plum today. I want to be able to move repairmen, fishermen, gardeners, rangers, restaurant critics, mailmen, and pizza delivery people into houses so they'll be visitable. But they lose their jobs entirely or stop showing up for them.

I feel you there! One of my Sims had a baby with the mailman, and I had him move in to help her raise the kid. They had a really long "will they or won't they" thing going on, and I loved seeing him delivering the mail to all her relatives while I played them rotationally during that drama. But now that he lives with his girlfriend and son, he can't be a mailman, and nobody sees him around anymore! It just isn't the same.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited September 2016
    All of this could be incorporated in a new program maybe by EA (also working and doing changes right away in mid-game). Or just can be like the gallery thing.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I would love to be able to turn off NPC generation, or to have specific pre-made NPCs who show up for the same jobs. Or even cycle through different jobs, like Justin Kase, Tim Burr, and the other punny-named Sims from TS3 (I think Twinbrook was the town with all the puns). I'm working on a story that I want to keep limited to the Sims I created, so I keep deleting all the NPCs when I open the file, which is tiresome. But it's not as bad as putting all the townies into better clothing only to have them all culled and replaced with more badly-dressed NPCs. And the weird clothing combinations will only get worse as we get more packs. Being able to assign our Sims to NPC jobs would be great, and I don't understand why it couldn't happen.
  • Options
    XoxNicolexoXXoxNicolexoX Posts: 119 Member
    Great post @Terra :D , maybe this could kinda be a way to fix culling as well. Would be great for the cultures incoming, so +1
    rsz_simsgurunicole.png
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Yes! All good I ideas! I don't usually play themes, but I can see how that would difficult the way hings are currently. This might be quite what you're talking about, but some things I've run into in my play recently:

I'd like to be able to assign jobs to NPCs, not making them playable and getting them a job, just assigning a specific job from the manager.
    I'd like a club manager as well, so I can design clubs to my liking without having to play the leaders of certain clubs, or making a sim I play the leader of a club.
    AND (this is mostly just for ease of whatever) I would love it if traits, aspirations, relationships, and current proffession were all easily viewable. Like, without having to play the sim or go into cas. Just right there, slide my mouse over their picture and there it is type of thing :-P But that might be impossible.
  • Options
    @Dendarii - You get me! :D Regarding your last point, traits at least are viewable by clicking on the household from map view, but I agree that it would be nice to view other information too from that view.

@SimGuruEugi - A couple of people have been chiming in about this issue on the Simulation Tech Thread, and I just wanted to make you aware of this thread where several of us have been discussing this for a while.
  • Options
    Terra wrote: »
    @Dendarii - You get me! :D Regarding your last point, traits at least are viewable by clicking on the household from map view, but I agree that it would be nice to view other information too from that view.

Totally, and I use that a lot, BUT it only works for Sims in world. For the homeless sims, you have to go into cas to get that info. Like, I was looking over my many homeless sims, and thinking I might make household of roomates with some of them, but I wasn't sure what the best combo would be, and going through all the single sim households not n world, one and a time, and trying to remeber who had what traits after going in and out of cas over and over...grargh, it was just such a pain! I wish we could just see all that info in the household manager so I could scroll through.

• Options
    Dendarii wrote: »

Totally, and I use that a lot, BUT it only works for Sims in world. For the homeless sims, you have to go into cas to get that info. Like, I was looking over my many homeless sims, and thinking I might make household of roomates with some of them, but I wasn't sure what the best combo would be, and going through all the single sim households not n world, one and a time, and trying to remeber who had what traits after going in and out of cas over and over...grargh, it was just such a pain! I wish we could just see all that info in the household manager so I could scroll through.

Totally! Yes, it would make pairing off my homeless Sims so much quicker if I didn't have to go into CAS and remind myself of their traits all the time. I actually have a chart dedicated to this because I couldn't keep track of all those traits. xD On that note, it would be interesting if you could see their jobs too when editing them in CAS.
  • Options
    Dendarii wrote: »

Totally! Yes, it would make pairing off my homeless Sims so much quicker if I didn't have to go into CAS and remind myself of their traits all the time. I actually have a chart dedicated to this because I couldn't keep track of all those traits. xD On that note, it would be interesting if you could see their jobs too when editing them in CAS.

Yes! And relationships (not just in household, but ALL relationships, lol). I play with MCCC, so if an NPC happens to have a kid out there forgot about, I'd liked to be able to check their family tree :-P And it would be nice just to be able to see general reltionship statuses--who they've been romantic with, who their friends with. When an NPC ages to young adult in my game, I go in and play them, just for a minute, just to see if they have a good friend or something that maybe they could move out of their parent's house with, for example, and it would be SO MUCH EASIER if I could skip that step and just do it through the manager.
  • Options
    Just bumping this up because I reminded again how much I want this kind of thing when I realized that I CAN'T ASSIGN A STANDARD VET FOR MY VET HOSPITAL. I'm not playing the vet hospital, but it's so weird to see different random vet techs each time I go--sometimes they're other played households in my rotation! WHY is my professional painter who owns 0 pets and has neither pet traits nor aspiration and comes from money and therefor doesn't even need to work moonlighting as a vet tech???? I should be able to assign NPC jobs! FROM MANAGEMENT!
  • Options
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    Just bumping this up because I reminded again how much I want this kind of thing when I realized that I CAN'T ASSIGN A STANDARD VET FOR MY VET HOSPITAL. I'm not playing the vet hospital, but it's so weird to see different random vet techs each time I go--sometimes they're other played households in my rotation! WHY is my professional painter who owns 0 pets and has neither pet traits nor aspiration and comes from money and therefor doesn't even need to work moonlighting as a vet tech???? I should be able to assign NPC jobs! FROM MANAGEMENT!

Thank you so much for your comment! Some sort of player control for NPC jobs is still very much needed.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Yes!! Omg, it drives me nuts that our own Sims get randomly selected for jobs. Victor Frankenstein is NOT a good yoga instructor, people! Why did the game do this to me?! Haha...

Seriously, I don't know why we don't get a pop up screen to select whatever Sim we want to fill a job role when going to a commercial lot. There could even be a "generate random townie" selection for those who don't want a specific Sim. But this kind of player control would allow us to choose how we want those roles filled. If we want an inexperienced bartender, we could select one.

We should definitely have player control over this.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    @LiELF Agreed! I think it would be so good if we could view and edit employees of any community lot from a neighbourhood menu screen. Their built-in shifts would be visible so you could make sure there were enough people for each role, and if you went to play one of those Sims, they'd disappear like it was a rabbit hole career when you played them. That's how retail employees worked in TS2:OFB.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Two years and they still couldn't do this...and they even updated Manage Worlds during that timespan and still never did this!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I really agree. It's very hard to see my rich, prestigious, snotty shop owner working as a chef in a restaurant. She has a business to run.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes, this is a huge issue for me since I play rotational, don't use mods, and love to control every aspect of my towns.
    It pains me to see one of my sims tending a food stall for example when it makes no sense for their character and story. I also hate how my game seems to only employ elders in restaurants.
    Post edited by AlbaWaterhouse on
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Yes, this is a huge issue for me since I play rotational, don't use modes, and love to control every aspect of my towns.
    It pains me to see one of my sims tending a food stall for example when it makes no sense for their character and story. I also hate how my game seems to only employ elders in restaurants.

Yes, the Elder issue is particularly annoying because it makes your restaurants have much quicker staff turnover when you play with aging on.

@gummybear0724 - I agree! It is immersion-breaking to see people yanked from their proper stories like that. One thing that would help alleviate that problem would be to mark business owners as employed. I use one of @Neia 's mods for this, but it would be good to have implemented as an official feature for players with Get to Work and Dine Out.
  • Options
    LoftyyLoftyy Posts: 101 Member
    Controlling the townies would be a dream come true lol I'm tired of them constantly spawning
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I would love to be able to assign specific NPCs to specific roles, though it does help that I can at least edit them in Manage Households after they're assigned by the game. Still, that makes me do the editing rather than saying "Oh hey, cool Sim the game created - you'd be a great yoga instructor!"
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    rafaeljonasrafaeljonas Posts: 227 Member
    Why did not they give us that option yet? It is very annoying to see random sims being a Yoga instructor or working in the restaurant.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    This would be so useful!! No more High Vampires selling food in the square. Just being able to place that one hot sim you were hoping to flirt with as barman would be fun.