Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't download purchased items

I am unable to download purchased items. It brings up the launcher and over that is a login request. I put in my login information and click OK but nothing happens. Also, the Welcome tab on my launcher displays:

The website cannot display the page
HTTP 500
Most likely causes:
The website is under maintenance.
The website has a programming error.

What you can try:
Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

More information More information

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

Anyone else with this problem?

Comments

• Options
    napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    edited June 2016
    It could be related to the recent updates of the store website and the exchange. Other people seem to be having issues as well.

Have you tried using the quicker download link?
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    figureitout01figureitout01 Posts: 188 Member
    Yeah I've got the problem too. Made the mistake of just purchasing £24 worth of content and now just realised that I can't actually use them because of this stupid bug.

And if I can't purchase them are you able to get refunds on sim points?
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited September 2016
    I started having this issue about an hour ago, after I downloaded a sim from the exchange. Is this a common problem with the Launcher? I can't tell if there's something I am supposed to fix, or if it's on Maxis and they will fix it.

Edit- I figured it out. It looks like this is related to this issue- http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Sims-3-In-Game-Sign-in-issues/td-p/5424016

The annoying thing for me is pulling up IE (which I never use) to delete the browser history. But, at least it works. I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd share the solution, as the problem is likely to happen again.
    Post edited by Cabelle1863 on
  • Options
    pogoopogoo Posts: 42 New Member
    I am having a problem installing an item I downloaded from the store. I'm still trying to collect enough points to ask the question. If anyone sees this, naybe they could take pity on me.
  • Options
    You can go ahead and ask your question here if you'd like. :)
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    Thanks. I just realised it was the Exchange not the store. Anyway, same deal. I downloaded a Sim and it looks like it downloaded OK, but when I try to install it tells me this:

Installation failed. Please make sure your game has the latest software updates and try again.

When I open Origin I get any updates required. So I've tried closing everything and opening everything again to allow that 3 times now - PLUS I know Origin has updated as it looks different. Not sure else what to try.
  • Options
    Here are some things to try that can help launcher issues. Hopefully one of these will work.

Try clearing Internet Explorers cookies and cache even if it is not your default browser and you don't use it because the Launcher uses its resources.

Try deleting the missingdeps file your DCCache folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/DCCache). Sometimes that file gets corrupted and can cause issues with the launcher. It's safe to delete as it will regenerate itself.

If that doesn't work you can try a clean Sims 3 folder. Do this by moving your current Sims 3 folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3) to your desktop. Then open your game so a new folder is generated. Then try downloading using the newly created folder.
  • Options
    Here are some things to try that can help launcher issues. Hopefully one of these will work.

Try clearing Internet Explorers cookies and cache even if it is not your default browser and you don't use it because the Launcher uses its resources.

Try deleting the missingdeps file your DCCache folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/DCCache). Sometimes that file gets corrupted and can cause issues with the launcher. It's safe to delete as it will regenerate itself.

If that doesn't work you can try a clean Sims 3 folder. Do this by moving your current Sims 3 folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3) to your desktop. Then open your game so a new folder is generated. Then try downloading using the newly created folder.

Thank you for your help :)

First two didn't work.

Nevetheless anyone explain to me why these are necessary - seems like a fault? The average user would be quite lost (even with this help), and despite that, why does the site not offer this as a solution when a problem occurs? Might save EA a lot of phone calls (or lost customers).

Going to try the third option next.
  • Options
    3rd option worked! YAY! So far. In says it has installed. The question now is what I do to combine the two Sim3 Folders.
  • Options
    I'm glad it installed! It might not have installed earlier because there might have been something in the old folder preventing it. Or sometimes at least for me starting a fresh folder every once and a while can be helpful. I don't why EA is not more helpful with this or suggests this. They seem to be really helpful with some things, but not others. And end up relying on other players to help other players.

With regards to the two folders, you can just combine them. To combine them you just move the contents of one folder to the other (library, saves, etc). Since you only installed one sim I would suggest just moving the sim to the original folder. But keeping the new folder as a backup in case the sim doesn't show up in the original folder.

The sim will be located in the SavedSims folder. So you can go ahead and move the file from there to the original folders SavedSims.

If the sim came with custom content there will be a file in the DCCache folder that ends in .dbc. If you want the custom content, how to move this file will depend on if you have other .dbc files in your original folder. So in your original folder's DCCache file do you have any .dbc files? And they should end in a number (for example dcdb1.dbc) so what is that highest number?

• Options
    Pretty sure there's no custom content. I tried it out last night with the bare bones of the new folder and it worked fine. So once again thank you for your help :)
  • Options
    You're welcome. I'm glad it worked. :)
  • Options
    LauraTopazLauraTopaz Posts: 33 Member
    This is the same problem I am having! I purchased some clothing and a hair style yesterday and it never said there was a problem of any kind, but the items are not in my game. I've turned the game on and off several times, looked in the launcher and they just aren't there. But they show up in my purchase history. It worked before, not sure what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
  • Options
    Are they showing up in the launcher downloads tab? What browser are you using?
  • Options
    No they don't. :( I have Google Chrome. Is that possibly the problem? It always worked before.
  • Options
    iwsimsntiwsimsnt Posts: 7 New Member
    Ive got the same problem too
  • Options
    You could try a different browser but if that doesn't work try clearing Internet Explorers cookies and cache even if it is not your default browser and you don't use it because the Launcher uses its resources. Then try downloading.
  • Options
    I cleared all the cookies and cache, and then I realized that having installed Ad Blocker it was actually blocking the downloads. I had to tell it to get lost and leave my game alone and then everything downloaded just fine! In case any one else has Ad Blocker installed, that is a big possibility of why you're having problems! Also it might be some other security type program on the computer not allowing it to download. Thank you for all your help napoleonwrasse! :)
  • Options
    You're welcome. I'm really glad you got it working. Enjoy your new content. :)
  • Options
    MishlofMishlof Posts: 11 New Member
    And on March 22 2019, the fix still works, was looking for this.. IMPORTANT if you use Win 10, Edge is default but explorer IS still in there, had to do a search and found Internet properties window, and cleared the cache, for explorer. SO it is not Edge's cache, but old Explorer due to the age of the app.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2016, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top