We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
March 1st - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Hey guys and gals,
    Looking for a different sort of feedback today. I'm starting to read a number of stories, and trying to limit myself to one person's story at a time so that I can dedicate time to multiple writers. I read across 3 different platforms (home PC, work PC, and iphone) and have trouble keeping my place.

What do you do to keep track of where you're at in multiple stories?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @Karilan Personally, I read primarily on my PC. My iPad is ancient and I don't even think I could open the web pages in it. I have an iPhone that I will sometimes read on but I seem to constantly click on the wrong things. (Like enlarging pics when I was trying to scroll down!) On the PC I will keep a tab open wherever I am in the story. But since you're switching around maybe use the notepad app on the phone?
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,085 Member
    @Karilan I read on my nook. Currently, I'm all caught up! So I just open the WordPress reader app on my nook each morning and then read whatever has popped up since the last time I was reading.

When I have a story to catch up with, I'll usually read from my PC and go to the website, rather than the reader. I love it when the story site has a TOC or index--then, I just use the visited link color to let me know where I'm at.

Sometimes, I use "likes" as bookmarks.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Thanks @Rainydayz179 and @CathyTea
    I love and want to make use of Wordpress' reader but I can't until I'm caught up on some more stories. I've started bookmarking instead of following some blogs that I want to read in the future to keep the reader clean for now.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a nook? I was thinking a kitchenette, but it sounds more like a tablet?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    Karilan wrote: »
    I love and want to make use of Wordpress' reader but I can't until I'm caught up on some more stories. I've started bookmarking instead of following some blogs that I want to read in the future to keep the reader clean for now.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a nook? I was thinking a kitchenette, but it sounds more like a tablet?

Oh, yeah! It's Barnes and Noble's tablet/reader--like a Kindle. It runs on Android.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Oh, yeah! It's Barnes and Noble's tablet/reader--like a Kindle. It runs on Android.

its not like a kindle you can read but not comment. lol.

love you sis.

love you sis.

Hmm, I wouldn't like that then. A big part of reading for me is having a conversation about the story. :smile:
    D2vFwMN.jpg

love you sis.

Hmm, I wouldn't like that then. A big part of reading for me is having a conversation about the story. :smile:

before i stopped them jes and cathtea used to have whole conversations about the benders on my blog. just one problem i wasn't there so they just got more confused.lol

love you sis.

I can comment... it's just awkward because of the squirrel-sized keyboard. So I usually don't comment.

love you sis.

I can comment... it's just awkward because of the squirrel-sized keyboard. So I usually don't comment.

i have the same problem on my phone. i can't count the number of times i had to start again.

i was only teasing since your so busy this is the most i've seen you.
    I actually found the commenting on my iPhone pretty easy when I had to use it these last few days. But reading, that's another story! I kept using my finger to scroll down to read more and if I touched a pic by accident it would open it! And I kept doing it!!! Needless to say, I'll stick with the PC as much as possible.
    I actually found the commenting on my iPhone pretty easy when I had to use it these last few days. But reading, that's another story! I kept using my finger to scroll down to read more and if I touched a pic by accident it would open it! And I kept doing it!!! Needless to say, I'll stick with the PC as much as possible.

i read here at my computer. when i read. i'm in 3 reading circles and have yet to finish one story. but i comment here because my phone has googlr but i messes up regularly.
    Hey guys! I wanted to pop in to post about the solution I found.
    I've been using yahoo mail to email myself when I work on my stories, since I work across several platforms, and only just discovered their notepad section. :D

I'm now using a notepad to keep track of where I am in a story so that I can pick up the link and read anywhere, then update it with whatever link I end on. If I'm up to date on the story, it goes to the bottom of the list so I can get through more people. It's working quite well so far.

It's also helped for my own writing so that it doesn't look like I have 30+ replies to myself. ;)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    I'm currently depressed, and I don't have the stamina to write decently. I was feeling okay for a few hours, especially when I was setting up a blog and when I started writing the first chapter, but I quickly lost enthusiasm and had to finish.

This is it. I needed to vent.
    ninaumi wrote: »
    I'm currently depressed, and I don't have the stamina to write decently. I was feeling okay for a few hours, especially when I was setting up a blog and when I started writing the first chapter, but I quickly lost enthusiasm and had to finish.

Well, one way to look at it is that you've got the blog set up! That's a lot of work. And now it's ready for you when the energy to write returns--and you know that it will return! :)

Hi again @ninaumi , just wanted to let you know I'm sending virtual hugs.

As Cathy said, progress is progress! Don't force writing, in my experience it's not enjoyable. It will come.
    D2vFwMN.jpg

I agree with what @CathyTea and @Karilan said. Baby steps. Celebrate the small victories. Every little thing... even the intention to do something is a victory. :)
    Thank you so much! It's just that I need to update the story until the end of events in my game. I have a little inspiration again, so I'll try to write an update.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,031 Member
    @ninaumi Hugs. Maybe give yourself a little time to brainstorm, outline, and find a source of inspiration. For me, often times, it's music. Or you could try a writing prompt. Or take a break from Sims and writing for a day or two. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's natural to have dry spells. I'm sure the creative energies will flow again.
    starlight-saga-return.png
    The Starlight Saga - Return to Stardew Valley Everything has a cycle: birth, life, death. And we return and return again.
    @ninaumi Hugs. Maybe give yourself a little time to brainstorm, outline, and find a source of inspiration. For me, often times, it's music. Or you could try a writing prompt. Or take a break from Sims and writing for a day or two. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's natural to have dry spells. I'm sure the creative energies will flow again.

@AdamsEve1231 I did what you mentioned, as I haven't played nor wrote anything in the past couple of days. I plan later in the day to go alone to a cafe and just let my mind wander, and write when I get home. Still, I'm afraid to even play the game, as I fear I'll have too many screenshots then... But I really really want to play. :(:lol: so I'll do it nevertheless.
    @ninaumi I always have way more screenshots than I use. I just pick the ones that fit best. Sometimes I don't use screenshots at all and just write so I'm not limited by the game. I just let my imagination wander.
    The Starlight Saga - Return to Stardew Valley Everything has a cycle: birth, life, death. And we return and return again.
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @ninaumi I always have way more screenshots than I use. I just pick the ones that fit best.
    I usually do this as well, and I always make sure to keep any I don't use on my computer (unless it's an exact duplicate) in case I want it later for a flashback chapter, short story, etc. I usually play in large chunks, and shortly after I'm done with a play session I take my screenshots out of their game folder and sort them out. Because I play rotationally, I usually sort them by who I was playing at the time, so that probably wouldn't make sense for you. Some alternate ways to sort them would be by week or day; certain events (such as a birthday party, school, etc.); which characters appear in a screenshot; or a ton of other methods. This way, when I'm ready to write, it's a lot easier to find the screenshots I need at that moment, since sometimes I right out of order from what happened in-game.
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    @ninaumi I always have way more screenshots than I use. I just pick the ones that fit best.
    I usually do this as well, and I always make sure to keep any I don't use on my computer (unless it's an exact duplicate) in case I want it later for a flashback chapter, short story, etc. I usually play in large chunks, and shortly after I'm done with a play session I take my screenshots out of their game folder and sort them out. Because I play rotationally, I usually sort them by who I was playing at the time, so that probably wouldn't make sense for you. Some alternate ways to sort them would be by week or day; certain events (such as a birthday party, school, etc.); which characters appear in a screenshot; or a ton of other methods. This way, when I'm ready to write, it's a lot easier to find the screenshots I need at that moment, since sometimes I right out of order from what happened in-game.

@ninaumi
    @Pegasus143 Sounds similar to me in many ways. I keep all my screenshots too in case i want to use them later. Great advice! A lot of options. One thing I will say is sometimes I save multiple versions of the same family game so I can play on highest autonomy and see where the game takes me, but if I need some more structure and I want to follow my outline and plans (or if a Sim accidentally dies, gets pregnant or something), I can hop into another game without worrying about losing any progress or confusing the games. Then I save those screenshots in different folders. It can be fun. Sometimes my Sims do things that are totally in line with my outlines and plans, almost as if my Sims are working with me and/or I'm intuitive about them. That always amazes me.
    I actually write text only chapters sometimes because the story flows without the need of the game per se, sometimes because I'm having issues with the game, sometimes becauseI i can't get the screenshots I want, and sometimes I'm lazy. :p I try to let my imagination run sometimes and it gets ahead of me.
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    *awkwardly bounces to the bench*

Helloes?