Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Hope you're feeling better @simscognito . <3 Love your new Avi pic. :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    emorrill wrote: »

Thanks @emorrill . Well I'm going home tomorrow so that's a plus. XD
    emorrill wrote: »

Thanks @emorrill . Well I'm going home tomorrow so that's a plus. XD

Ooh and thanks about the avi. It's Alex with his first born. <3
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the input and ideas on the matter, @simscognito and @circa1986 ! :) I'm still learning when it comes to networking.
  • CaffeinatedRachelCaffeinatedRachel Posts: 45 Member
    I have a question for you all. Do you prewrite a certain amount of chapters before putting your story out there or do you just go in swinging? I have two chapters of my legacy written, but I'm almost afraid to post it before I have a good backlog of chapters. I don't want to start posting and then drop out because I feel too much pressure to post on a certain timeline.
  • CieloSimsCieloSims Posts: 143 Member
    I have a question for you all. Do you prewrite a certain amount of chapters before putting your story out there or do you just go in swinging? I have two chapters of my legacy written, but I'm almost afraid to post it before I have a good backlog of chapters. I don't want to start posting and then drop out because I feel too much pressure to post on a certain timeline.

I play and write chapters and insert pictures in Microsoft word. I update each legacy blog once a week, for now. That way, When I am ready to update, I just copy and paste into blogspot, and post it. I always write up to four chapters ahead.
    Origin ID: CieloSims
  • CieloSimsCieloSims Posts: 143 Member
    circa1986 wrote: »

I play and write chapters and insert pictures in Microsoft word. I update each legacy blog once a week, for now. That way, When I am ready to update, I just copy and paste into blogspot, and post it. I always write up to four chapters ahead.

I also have folders labeled with the legacy name and the pictures that go with it, that way I can keep track of it all. I have a planner that I use to keep up with what chapters to post on what days.
    Origin ID: CieloSims
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited January 2019

i tried and gave up ayden became the heir of generation 2 and managed to break all the rules withen 10 sim days
    Post edited by friendsfan367 on
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,224 Member

I play a bit then write up what happened, or what I imagine happened as long as I can think of a coherent story to go with the screenshots. Sometimes I take a little break to enter a build challenge. I also rotate between stories so they usually only get attention once a month each. There's nothing wrong with not having something to post every day, so don't feel pressured to do that.
    image.png
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    I haven't written any chapters after August for my Meadows of the Matriarch story. It already has only three. I had a big surge of inspiration when I started the story, but then suddenly it was all gone. It felt really bad. However, I want to get back to it so bad, even though my inspiration is nowhere how it was near the beginning. I'd like to ask for the advice. Namely, my biggest issue is not having a regular writing schedule, let alone posting one. I would like to change that. I want to make writing regularly a part of my life. How can I accomplish that?
    Not sure I can help with that as I don't always stick to a rigid schedule. I try to play seven days with each of my families before switching. That usually gives me anywhere from 4-7 chapters if I can think of something worth writing up from the screenshots. If I'm not feeling it, I go do something else for a while. Sometimes that means fiddling with building, sometimes it's not Sims-related at all.
    I usually start writing the day after I get my screenshots so depending on how many I had and how fast I write, I may or may not play the same day I write. It seems to work for me most of the time.
    image.png
  • bookloverbluebookloverblue Posts: 451 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm getting increasingly paranoid that people don't enjoy my Sim Lit since feedback has ground to a halt in recent months. Honestly, I'm half-tempted to just stop at this point. I have very low self-esteem and positive responses mean so much.
    I'm getting increasingly paranoid that people don't enjoy my Sim Lit since feedback has ground to a halt in recent months. Honestly, I'm half-tempted to just stop at this point. I have very low self-esteem and positive responses mean so much.

Ask yourself if you enjoy writing. If the answer is yes, keep it up even if it turns out to be just for your own enjoyment. I don't get many reviews either, but I don't worry about it because I like writing and sometimes someone new does come along and comment.
    image.png
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,280 Member

If it helps, I haven't read any of your other stuff yet, and I haven't commented cause I haven't had a Wordpress til recently and don't have a Blogger (forgot which one you are sorry), but I keep rereading Doctor Marlow's Home for the Sanity-Challenged and I think I'm slightly addicted. Also remember: it's an unfortunate fact of life that if you're any good at what you do, you'll probably think you're terrible at least once. Keep on trucking! <3
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • bookloverbluebookloverblue Posts: 451 Member
    Thanks for your kind words.

@SimTresa I do enjoy writing ,but I have these doubts as I have a rather hectic home/work life, and struggle to find the time these days. If I make the effort to give up hours of my time, I'd appreciate reassurance that my work is being enjoyed. It gives me so much motivation. I enjoy the writing process immensely, but always get major anxiety when I hit that upload button. I think a thing adding fuel to the fire is that I had some real success with the Miskin Legacy, but my later works appear (at face value at least) to have a much smaller readership. I feel like I went wrong somewhere and somehow.

@lillibattenberg I'm so glad you enjoyed Marlow's Asylum: I know that challenge is sometimes frowned upon by those who say it's insensitive to mental health issues (which I can understand, having depression and anxiety myself), hence why I tried to make it more of a satire about old-world views and social oppression. I use Blogger personally as I prefer its user tools over WordPress, and that has been commented on, but even feedback on the forums here or on Tumblr or Twitter, rather than just the blog exclusively, are always welcomed.

I do honestly want to have higher self-esteem and more confidence: it's a battle I've been fighting for a long time.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @bookloverblue: legacies unfortunately have a greater audience draw than other kinds of challenges. Maybe you can reach out to other people doing those?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited January 2019

Hey, Blue! I was so happy recently to see one of your chapters pop up in my WordPress Reader!

I really loved the chapter! It's technically awkward/difficult for me to comment on your post because I use the WP Reader App on my nook (handheld device) to read, so there's no spot for a "like" or a comment. (Blogs on WordPress are more compatible with the WP Reader App.)

I'm also currently following a poet who posts 6-12 posts a day! So that sometimes bumps off other posts from my feed--If you know that I follow your story and I haven't seemed to have been reading lately, probably I've somehow missed your posts thanks to my prolific poet-friend! Let me know! Give me a nudge that you've posted, and you're wondering if I've read, and I will be happy to pop over to catch up!

But I LOVED the recent chapter I saw of yours, Blue!

I haven't been actively posting on our Reading Circle, either--though I know a few folks have been!

My own readership has dropped to a very slow trickle...

I am using this as an opportunity to rethink how I want SimLit and blogging to fit into my life. I definitely find value in doing it. My life is richer and more rewarding when I write. I've slowed my writing pace significantly, which opens room for more activities and takes the pressure off.

So, I encourage you to first, think about how you can do this in a way that contributes and adds to your life, rather than feeling like a burden or drain or unsustainable responsibility.

Also, imagine that, years from now, you go back and reread what you've written and you find such joy there! That can happen! And it makes the writing you do now worth it.

You know, I think we need to realize that there will always be a few people who adore our work. I am one of those for you, @bookloverblue . Each post you write is a tremendous gift and such a joy to read, giving me (actually) hours of enjoyment, as I think about your posts a lot after I've read them!

So, I would be sad if you stopped writing altogether. I can't promise that I will always have something insightful or encouraging to say after reading. I can promise that I will enjoy each post I read and that I'll think about, feel grateful, and smile so wide at your story and your characters! And your lovely sentences, some of which spin me into bliss!

And... sometimes... when I have the energy, time, and enthusiasm, I'll find a way to pop into our Reading Circle or your story thread and share my enjoyment and gratitude for you.

I hope that having one such reader is enough... and maybe, quite likely, you have a few others who haven't taken the time to let you know how much your story means to them...

Wishing you encouragement and the knowledge that you're appreciated and valued...

your avid reader,

CathyTea

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Hey, Blue! I was so happy recently to see one of your chapters pop up in my WordPress Reader!

I really loved the chapter! It's technically awkward/difficult for me to comment on your post because I use the WP Reader App on my nook (handheld device) to read, so there's no spot for a "like" or a comment. (Blogs on WordPress are more compatible with the WP Reader App.)

I'm also currently following a poet who posts 6-12 posts a day! So that sometimes bumps off other posts from my feed--If you know that I follow your story and I haven't seemed to have been reading lately, probably I've somehow missed your posts thanks to my prolific poet-friend! Let me know! Give me a nudge that you've posted, and you're wondering if I've read, and I will be happy to pop over to catch up!

I haven't been actively posting on our Reading Circle, either--though I know a few folks have been!

I am using this as an opportunity to rethink how I want SimLit and blogging to fit into my life. I definitely find value in doing it. My life is richer and more rewarding when I write. I've slowed my writing pace significantly, which opens room for more activities and takes the pressure off.

So, I encourage you to first, think about how you can do this in a way that contributes and adds to your life, rather than feeling like a burden or drain or unsustainable responsibility.

Also, imagine that, years from now, you go back and reread what you've written and you find such joy there! That can happen! And it makes the writing you do now worth it.

You know, I think we need to realize that there will always be a few people who adore our work. I am one of those for you, @bookloverblue . Each post you write is a tremendous gift and such a joy to read, giving me (actually) hours of enjoyment, as I think about your posts a lot after I've read them!

So, I would be sad if you stopped writing altogether. I can't promise that I will always have something insightful or encouraging to say after reading. I can promise that I will enjoy each post I read and that I'll think about, feel grateful, and smile so wide at your story and your characters! And your lovely sentences, some of which spin me into bliss!

And... sometimes... when I have the energy, time, and enthusiasm, I'll find a way to pop into our Reading Circle or your story thread and share my enjoyment and gratitude for you.

I hope that having one such reader is enough... and maybe, quite likely, you have a few others who haven't taken the time to let you know how much your story means to them...

Wishing you encouragement and the knowledge that you're appreciated and valued...

your avid reader,

CathyTea

mine is mostly cathtea except if its my turn in ww even that slowed down
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

your avid reader,

CathyTea

mine is mostly cathtea except if its my turn in ww even that slowed down

I am your #1 reader, too, @friendsfan367 . Your story grounds me and gives me so many happy (and sometimes sad) feelings!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I did something I shouldn't have and mention something to Dad about the mess he made of my medience last night. (long story). It got into an argument. I wasn't suppose to mention it but Mom's not home yet. So Dad and I got into an argument about it.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited February 2019
    Both my school girlfriends who have boyfriends have now gotten engaged one only got engaged today. But one was engaged since June or something. Even though Cousin R become unengaged so she's single. But she had at least one relationship while I have had 0 relationships, 0 breakups. Mom's no help at all-I mean she tries but she just makes me feel worse.

Maybe it's just a way of my fear of the future when I don't have the parents in my life..in some form presenting itself
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member

It has been a slow season for all of us .. I had less than half my normal reads in the month of January. <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger

How far are you into a story .. I will add another to my list but prob don't have a lot of time to do a big catch up
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Sliding into a seat on the Friendship Bench to sit for just a second <3 Kick my feet up and sip my tea <3 LOL my phone keeps blinking on and off (duties on twitter are calling) so my sit will not be long .... Happy simming!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Both my school girlfriends who have boyfriends have now gotten engaged one only got engaged today. But one was engaged since June or something. Even though Cousin R become unengaged so she's single. But she had at least one relationship while I have had 0 relationships, 0 breakups. Mom's no help at all-I mean she tries but she just makes me feel worse.

Maybe it's just a way of my fear of the future when I don't have the parents in my life..in some form presenting itself

@MadameLee I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. The future can be very daunting but I'm glad your parents have agreed to discuss it with you.

If there's something I've learnt in my short life, it's the future has a way of surprising you so don't give up hope just yet. ;)