Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

AMD/NVIDIA cards: How to cap TS3's fps to 60

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
I'll be showing you how you can cap TS3's fps to 60 by forcing v-sync. The Sims 3 has no v-sync so it can run over 60 fps. The problem is that most powerful or newer cards usually run TS3 over 60 fps which is said to be a problem such as the card possibly overheating. V-sync can be forced through AMD's control center or NVIDIA's control panel, this thread helps you address that problem.

To find out the fps in TS3, hold the Ctrl and Shift keys and press C to open the command console. Type fps on and then press Enter, you will see your FPS count. If the fps is over 60, you'll want to follow the following steps below depending if you have an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card, I'll cover both.

You will need to know where TS3 is installed on your hard drive or SSD. By default, TS3 is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin or C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin assuming you have a 64-bit Windows.

For the tutorial, we'll be using the TS3W.exe file which was used in TS3 versions up to 1.67. I'm not sure if this works for 1.69 due to how TS3.exe works compared to TS3W.exe in 1.67.

If you have an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card:
  1. Right click the Windows desktop and click on NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Click the Manage 3D settings page if you are not taken to the page.
  3. Click the Program Settings tab and select Sims 3 (ts3w.exe) under Select a program ro customize:. You might have to add the appropriate TS3 executable (e.g., TS3W.exe for 1.67). Click Add, Browse..., find the TS3W.exe file, and then click Open.
  4. With Sims 3 selected, look for the feature known as Vertical sync and change the setting to On or Adaptive. Click Apply.

You must be in full screen mode for v-sync to work.

For AMD Radeon video cards:
  1. Right click the Windows desktop and click AMD Catalyst Control Center.
  2. Click Gaming and then 3D Application Settings.
  3. Click Add, look for TS3W.exe and then click Open A dialog will appear, close it.
  4. Click TS3W.exe and expand Frame Rate Control.
  5. Select Always on under Wait for Vertical Refresh. Click Save.

I don't know if the steps are different for Crimson since I'm using the AMD Radeon HD 5670 which is using the old AMD Catalyst Control Center.

Now your The Sims 3 game should be capped at 60 fps which will depend on your monitor's refresh rate. Usually it's 60 Hz so v-sync caps it to 60 fps but it can be 120 fps if you have a 120 Hz monitor.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2016
    The TS3.exe file is for the 1.69 patch. Also with patch 1.69 people have problems getting vsync to work. More so with AMD than Nvidia but both have problems. Posting these kind of threads will just fade further back on the pages. How many times I have posted instructions on how to do this and people will still ask to the point I have to type this issue over and over again. Making a thread about it will get ignored unless you can convince EA to tac your threads which I don't see happening
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Since EA doesn't care about TS3 and such, I doubt if EA will pin/sticky the helpful threads. It would be helpful if they did pin it or at least add it to the Master Thread especially the thread showing how to find serials through the Registry. I was thinking of making a thread about finding TS3/Medieval codes through the Registry but I decided against it. This would be useful if wanting to get 1.67 seeing there are PC Simmers (or Mac Simmers using Boot Camp) that are opposed to 1.69 and would rather have 1.67. As of January 11, 2016, 1.69 became mandatory to download EPs/SPs from Origin but this could be avoided by using the DVD copies which requires purchasing a DVD version if one only owns them on Origin. The issue with used copies is they sometimes don't have the manual and this could put you into big trouble especially with EPs/SPs since Origin no longer allows accessing the product codes (TS3's EPs/SPs are not in the Library but rather in TS3's product page, similar to how TS4 and other games' DLC are placed). With the Registry, that won't be an issue.

I'm trying to help because TS3 doesn't have v-sync and using AMD or NVIDIA is probably the only way to cap the fps to 60 although fps limiters are said to not work with 1.69. I did something similar with why An explanation on The Sims 3 doesn't recognize new video cards and Macs that have Intel Iris Graphics since many Simmers kept posting threads regarding TS3 not recognizing new cards and Macs using newer Intel graphics respectively.

Still it would be useful is some helpful threads were pinned such as this bug thread (I made this since @crinrict has stopped updating the Into the Future bug thread, and TS3 suffers from a lot of bugs).
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    EA will never add intel as a supported card for PC. Mac is different but I do agree with @igazor that MAC should not try to run this game on intel either. This game does need a dedicated video card. MAC runs differently than PC when it comes to ram and processor but MAC has the same video cards pc laptops do so integrated cards are not ideal for gaming and can get damaged in the long run forcing the cards to do something they are not designed to do. I don't see them updating the supported cards list since no one is working on the sims 3 anymore. We are stuck with the bugs. Don't expect a fix for those either. If one can't handle the bugs , use mods.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I don't remember saying that Mac users shouldn't try to play the game on Intel graphics at all. But running all EPs, especially Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF on integrated, even on a Mac, is not going to be what I would call the greatest play experience because RAM usage will be stressed more and the 2 GB limit is already difficult enough to stay under. But it's not actually impossible to play at all that way.

Some players can change their play styles accordingly or manage to do without running all 11 EPs. Others might turn to Boot Camp as you guys both know I did when my game on Mac began to fall apart (on dedicated, but overwhelmed by Pets and Seasons because my then 3rd generation game was far too complex to stay under the RAM limit). It's all a matter of what the player reasonably expects to get out of the game. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor my mistake I thought you meant the whole game but agree Pets, ITF, Seasons and IP would be very stressful to an integrated cpu/gpu even if one has more ram to relive some of the stress. People have ruined their hardware on PC attempting this. I don't know how much stress integrated cpu/gpu will have on MAC or if it would shorten the life span of a MAC
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    So basically what can I do playing on Origin version with 1.69 patch and Nvidia Card. Turning on Vertical sync does not work
    So basically what can I do playing on Origin version with 1.69 patch and Nvidia Card. Turning on Vertical sync does not work

@SimplyJen can give you instructions on how to use Nvidia inspector
  • UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    Going to keep a mental note of this thread's existence just in case I do decide to upgrade my hardware
    Very helpful and informative!
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited May 2018
    @AlwaysTheSun

Download & Install Nvidia Inspector

Instructions:
    Look for the small tool icon or green symbol next to Driver Version. Click to launch Nvidia Profile Inspector.
    32116585614_b1a35cf00a_o.png
    Select Profiles at the top and scroll through the long list to find Sims 3.
    32806054772_51f1b0bbec_o.png
    Under Sync and Refresh, select Vertical Sync > Force On
    (Not pictured, also listed under Sync and Refresh)
    Triple Buffering > On
    Frame Rate Limiter > 60 fps *This number should reflect your own refresh rate.
    37397040374_1cb5f896b0_o.png
    Apply Changes top right corner.

If you're not sure what your monitor/screens refresh rate is:
    • Windows search Display Settings
    • Advanced Display Settings
    • Display adapter properties
    • Click the Monitor tab
    You should see your monitors refresh rate.

Nvidia Inspector does not require fullscreen mode.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • nnataliaggcnnataliaggc Posts: 15 Member
    Hi! how about if I can only find in step 3, Sims 3 (sims3launcher.exe), does it matter?
  • nnataliaggcnnataliaggc Posts: 15 Member
    Forget it, I actually found the correct one by adding it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top