Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

anyone tried living on the restaurant lot?

I love the idea of a home business! I made a small apartment above my restaurant. The doors are locked allowing access only to the household.
Everything is fine except for a few annoying quirks;

- My sims cant cook without being told off as being inappropriate. even at closing hours.... So what i'd usually do is lock one sim in the apartment and let him cook a batch of food to last a few days....but then the angry household members would be screaming at the door LOL

- It seems that more than 1 sim managing the restaurant would always end up in a horrible result. They'd start chatting up customers and waiters and cooks..... customers pause from getting seated and staff would stop working and while the wages roll in and end up in negative profits everyday.

- no dining table can be put inside the apartment (did an island bar instead) because the game would recognize it as a restaurant table and try to seat customers there... resulting in unseated customers just standing outside the apartment door...
Happiness!
j9pm6g.gif

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes, I have a household living on the top floor of their restaurant. It is possible but as you su there is some annoyances to it. Also if you visit another lot you need to remember to bring them back to the restaurant lot and not send them home (an empty lot).
    It's great for bills too!
    I haven't though about the kitchen island for eating, that is a good solution, I'll try that out.
    As for the more than one sim managing the restaurant, you are right, it becomes a mess.
    What I decided to do is have one of them writing or programming or doing something that'll bring simoleons home while the other manages the business.
    Now the couple is expecting a baby and I'm nervous to see how everything is going to work with a lid living upstairs the restaurant too.
    Do you have kids in yours?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • lo94lo94 Posts: 7 New Member
    I have a small apartment above with a bed shower toilet and tv and couch. My sim always uses the kitchen in the restaurant and never gets moaned at. They also eat whilst talking to customers and still end up with good reviews (?)
  • hafizchanhafizchan Posts: 232 Member
    Yes, I have a household living on the top floor of their restaurant. It is possible but as you su there is some annoyances to it. Also if you visit another lot you need to remember to bring them back to the restaurant lot and not send them home (an empty lot).
    It's great for bills too!
    I haven't though about the kitchen island for eating, that is a good solution, I'll try that out.
    As for the more than one sim managing the restaurant, you are right, it becomes a mess.
    What I decided to do is have one of them writing or programming or doing something that'll bring simoleons home while the other manages the business.
    Now the couple is expecting a baby and I'm nervous to see how everything is going to work with a lid living upstairs the restaurant too.
    Do you have kids in yours?

omg! i'm nervous about having a baby too! i'm worried the child would get too distracted with all the business going on downstairs!
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited June 2016
    I started a place from scratch with a sim and he lives in the back (just a bed really), that way I'd have enough money to open the place just starting out. It's small and a little bare bones- lol. I call it Al Fresca! That way I can justify not being able to afford walls. Ha Ha! It works though and he got a four star review the first time a critic showed up. It's always troublesome living on a retail lot to an extent but so far no real problems beyond the usual.

06-11-16_9-27-48nbspAM_zps8st6oona.png
  • azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    @JasonAnthonySterling I have a very small beginning restaurant too.. but my 2 Sims are sleeping in a tent.. and have the camping shower in inventory and when the restaurant is closed they pull out the shower. They brush their teeth alot for extra hygiene.. Trying a small garden as well, so they can store that in the refrig.
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    So weird - I've had no issues. She can cook in the kitchen fine. I've locked the doors so only staff and herself can enter the kitchen, and that only she can enter her room.

My only issue is her social is difficult to keep up. But yeah, other than that, nothing!
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    There's people reporting getting kicked out of the restaurant for inappropriate behavior if they have an apartment. Also issues with tables being unusable while the restaurant is open as they are getting assigned as restaurant tables.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    There's people reporting getting kicked out of the restaurant for inappropriate behavior if they have an apartment. Also issues with tables being unusable while the restaurant is open as they are getting assigned as restaurant tables.

I think I've avoided that by mostly WORKING while the restaurant is open- LOL! I'm usually busy welcoming people and helping clear tables ect. I make my sim wait until after it's closed to eat. So, no inappropriate behavior... yet!
    azsimmer1 wrote: »
    @JasonAnthonySterling I have a very small beginning restaurant too.. but my 2 Sims are sleeping in a tent.. and have the camping shower in inventory and when the restaurant is closed they pull out the shower. They brush their teeth alot for extra hygiene.. Trying a small garden as well, so they can store that in the refrig.

I built a shower in the public restroom for my owner to use, lol.

• CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    My family lives above the restaurant. I just lock the doors leading upstairs to everyone except the family.
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    crinrict wrote: »

I've had this scenario and got kicked out then the kitchen just disappeared like you couldn't see in it until I went back into manage worlds again and then went back into my household and then traveled back to the business and then the kitchen reappeared again, so it is possible to live there but with hassles!
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I have not tested this yet but I assume the baby problem would be similar to the one in GTW's retail lot. I have a retail lot with an apartment and you cannot bring the baby there no matter what. You can leave the baby on your home lot and get them sent to daycare while you're not there, but you can't move them. You can bring the children to the retail lot but not the baby. I am left to believe this will be the same with a restaurant.
  • Bekahx3Bekahx3 Posts: 115 Member
    I wish they could modify the game to allow for home businesses. I mean, you can /kind of/ make it work, but not without having to do a lot of obnoxious workaround stuff. I would totally love to build a Bob's Burgers inspired restaurant, but I don't wanna deal with the game fighting against it. Also it wouldn't really be worth it to me, since you can't actually work in the restaurant besides checking up on your tables.
    That's one area to me where they just really dropped the ball with Dine Out.
    Me and my bae Michael. Drawn by Sonatines on the ourWorld game forums.
    70e3abc2e7.jpg
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I started a place from scratch with a sim and he lives in the back (just a bed really), that way I'd have enough money to open the place just starting out. It's small and a little bare bones- lol. I call it Al Fresca! That way I can justify not being able to afford walls. Ha Ha! It works though and he got a four star review the first time a critic showed up. It's always troublesome living on a retail lot to an extent but so far no real problems beyond the usual.

06-11-16_9-27-48nbspAM_zps8st6oona.png

What is that monstrosity of a building in the background???
  • hafizchanhafizchan Posts: 232 Member
    Bekahx3 wrote: »
    I wish they could modify the game to allow for home businesses. I mean, you can /kind of/ make it work, but not without having to do a lot of obnoxious workaround stuff. I would totally love to build a Bob's Burgers inspired restaurant, but I don't wanna deal with the game fighting against it. Also it wouldn't really be worth it to me, since you can't actually work in the restaurant besides checking up on your tables.
    That's one area to me where they just really dropped the ball with Dine Out.

I really do hope we could set our household as the restaurant staff in the future! I'm sure that wouldnt be too hard to do(??)
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif