Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TheSims3.com Undergoing Maintenance

Comments

• Options
    ReeldeniseReeldenise Posts: 14 New Member
    So is it fixed
  • Options
    DaethaqtDaethaqt Posts: 760 Member
    Can you guys fix the exchange please!!!
  • Options
    whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    edited June 2016
    @Heledriel Not really. If you don't know which expansions have been used on the item, then trying to download the item is going to be an exercise in frustration. Trying to download in the exchange's current state is like buying dollhouse furniture blind. You buy, say, a rocking chair, only to open the black box it is delivered in and find it's not to scale, it's as big as the doorways of your dollhouse, or, fits on the kitchen counter because it's the height of the dishsoap bottle. That's an analogy, of course scale isn't the issue here. But whether or not you own Supernatural and whether or not Supernatural was used on the item in question does determine whether or not the item will "fit" into your game.

Same thing with lot size. Assume the best case scenario, that you're rolling in dough and you've acquired all expansions, stuffpacks, worlds, and own the store. Randomly downloading is still flawed. Say you're looking for a business in a 15x20 to fill that empty space on your mainstreet. Randomly downloading isn't going to do much for you.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited June 2016
    Ok, I tried be nice and patient, but it gets zero attention. SO - until The Exchange gets fixed - here comes the protest siggie! >:) Mwahaha!

EDIT: It's been updated and linked to here for others to leave comments as well. >:)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    hasan1991hasan1991 Posts: 8 New Member
    when i download my house it keeps saying when i install make sure your using the recent update i just uninstalled and reinstalled the sims and still get that
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    Tracking down bugs is NOT a simple process.

Actually it is. All they'd need to do is compare what they changed and the bug, most likely the very same error they did about six months ago, would be found quickly and easily. It's not like a second team debugging a brand new software coded by a first team which they can't reach anymore...

Given the response some fellow simmers got with EA customer's support (forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14914012/#Comment_14914012), it's likely that, as of a couple days ago, they were not aware of the situation (and blaming the bugs on users' browsers...), so it seems very likely that they just begun "investigating"...

I wish it was easy, but its really not. Maintenance can be anything from rebooting the server, to adding new code to make sure the exchange, the daily deals, the weekly sales, etc, are up to date and will continue to function in the future. One little typo in that code can cause problems, as we can see. Finding it and fixing it means going thru all the new code they just wrote, and even going thru the old code to look for a redundancy, or a loopback, or anything. And as Igazor said, the Sims 3 team is non-existant because everyone has moved on to Sims 4. Constantly complaining about it will not help fix it any faster.

From one of the errors I saw posted by someone a few days ago it seems to me they did some programming change and didn't handle errors that happen if some unexpected values are passed in the code.
  • Options
    whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    I made another trip into Origin Customer Care.

It's like everyone there is on an old school true basic coding regimen of "DO LOOP" on questions re cache cleaning, browser use, and deliberately mis-hearing that I have a problem with my download of Sims 4 (which I don't even have) when I say I cannot download on the Sims 3 Store. The last question I was asked was, "Well, have you tried another computer?" It's like I'm speaking Klingon and I don't know it, the "it's not just me" is deliberately ignored. Maybe I am connecting with AI and I really am engaging a computer and not human beings. The encounters would make a lot more sense. It also makes a lot more sense that The Exchange is still broken.
  • Options
    For protest siggies -
    [url=http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890045/thesims3-com-undergoing-maintenance/p1][img]http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/blkflcn/Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg[/img]

And to install -

1 - Click "Account Options" (gear icon) then select preferences.
    2 - Click on "Signature Settings"
    3 - Click on the image button and paste the image link into it.
    4 - Hit save and you're done!
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited June 2016
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    Tracking down bugs is NOT a simple process.

Actually it is. All they'd need to do is compare what they changed and the bug, most likely the very same error they did about six months ago, would be found quickly and easily. It's not like a second team debugging a brand new software coded by a first team which they can't reach anymore...

Given the response some fellow simmers got with EA customer's support (forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14914012/#Comment_14914012), it's likely that, as of a couple days ago, they were not aware of the situation (and blaming the bugs on users' browsers...), so it seems very likely that they just begun "investigating"...

Constantly complaining about it will not help fix it any faster.

That's certainly EA's point of view. Many other customer-friendly companies would have known about the situation sooner and told "the team" sooner to have a look at it. It took a week of "complaining" to even get them to notice.

Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    Oh this explains a whole lot, I thought I was crazy since I tried it on 4 different browsers and it had the same issue. Oh well I hope it gets resolved I would really love to use the exchange.

Also the same thing in this thread is happening again. It seems clearing my cache and cookies has that effect. I hope it just gets resolved like the previous time. sigh :(
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Options
    Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Yeah, this is the same tech support team that tells Mac Users to remove their installs of Safari because it's malware

LOL!!!! Just like, couple years ago, when someone in my family began randomly deleting files of the "C:\Windows" directory because she claimed there were too many of them (next step was reinstalling Windows). Looks like they went to the same school!

I made another trip into Origin Customer Care.

It's like everyone there is on an old school true basic coding regimen of "DO LOOP" on questions re cache cleaning, browser use, and deliberately mis-hearing that I have a problem with my download of Sims 4 (which I don't even have) when I say I cannot download on the Sims 3 Store. The last question I was asked was, "Well, have you tried another computer?" It's like I'm speaking Klingon and I don't know it, the "it's not just me" is deliberately ignored. Maybe I am connecting with AI and I really am engaging a computer and not human beings. The encounters would make a lot more sense. It also makes a lot more sense that The Exchange is still broken.
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    Many other customer-friendly companies would have known about the situation sooner and told "the team" sooner to have a look at it. It took a week of "complaining" to even get them to notice.

That's exactly why more and more people switch to other video game company... Their rotten support is what is killing their reputation, and customer retention...

Next time I get a few hundred bucks spare, I'm buying a handful of Electronic Arts shares (EA on NASDAQ) and, as an investor, I'll seriously question their practices...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    Rome wasn't built in a day but how hard can it be to do routine "maintenance" (their word) on a website??? And Guru Drake has just now (yesterday) alerted the team to investigate and this has been happening for a week or so???

Well, I left a message about the Exchange problem directly on SGDrake's wall on Friday the 10th at approximately 1pm Pacific time and saw Moderator_Gagea post the same thing midday on the 11th, so to finally get a response on the 15th ... ? :/
    Call me Dee :p
    Proud member of the "Own The Store Club"
  • Options
    BookworkgirlBookworkgirl Posts: 129 Member
    Whitepawn suggested this,
    Maybe, to know what content was used in the items, we could start a master creator thread and hope the creators have registered the games they've used in their creations? The MyPage does still show worlds/expansions/stuffpacks for those that bother with it, as well as a non-detailed MyStudio list.

Perhaps it will help at the mean time to find the information about the world we like to download?
  • Options
    littlemissadoredlittlemissadored Posts: 4 New Member
    Heledriel wrote: »
    @littlemissadored Just use the normal Exchange Page go to Lots, type Chester (NOT Hall) in the box and I chose Sort by DOWNLOADS - ALL TIME
    It was the very first building showing up for me and could download it without any trouble.

The search the Exchange provides is not the very best, if you type in several words it will search for ANY of them.

Thank you so, so much. I've never used the exchange before, so I wasn't sure how it worked. I guess I won't be able to download it, though. Apparently I need to game register my account, but when I put in my serial code, it says it's invalid. I'm guessing any customer support won't respond until after the weekend and that's when I needed it for, haha. Unless someone is willing to e-mail it to me or something. Thank you for your help anyway!! ♥
  • Options
    Heledriel wrote: »
    @littlemissadored Just use the normal Exchange Page go to Lots, type Chester (NOT Hall) in the box and I chose Sort by DOWNLOADS - ALL TIME
    It was the very first building showing up for me and could download it without any trouble.

The search the Exchange provides is not the very best, if you type in several words it will search for ANY of them.

Thank you so, so much. I've never used the exchange before, so I wasn't sure how it worked. I guess I won't be able to download it, though. Apparently I need to game register my account, but when I put in my serial code, it says it's invalid. I'm guessing any customer support won't respond until after the weekend and that's when I needed it for, haha. Unless someone is willing to e-mail it to me or something. Thank you for your help anyway!! ♥

Is your game a digital download from Origin? Or did you buy the disk? If it is a digital download it should already be registered to you automatically. You will need to contact customer support to fix up the problem. I think they are there all the time.
  • Options
    Mystic_ZinjaMystic_Zinja Posts: 1 New Member
    Great. can't see details in exchange. Any ideas when there will be a fix or not
  • Options
    BookworkgirlBookworkgirl Posts: 129 Member
    Great. can't see details in exchange. Any ideas when there will be a fix or not

Have not heard anything so it be sometime so best just use link to search for the files?

This is the link where you can download the file but with out any information about its content.

http://www.thesims3.com/search/worldSearch.html?sortBy=recommendations&dateRange=all&hiddenKeyWord=Keywords&worldSearchCommand.description=&worldSearchCommand.worldSize=1048576&worldSearchCommand.worldNoLots=0000&submit=GO
  • Options
    HeledrielHeledriel Posts: 465 Member
    edited June 2016
    nevermind
    Post edited by Heledriel on
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.
    wW5u961.gif
  • Options
    MissCashmereMissCashmere Posts: 101 Member
    edited June 2016
    Wow, just came back from too much work because I had finally some leisure time at hand and now EA sweetens me one of my favourite games this way :pensive: .
    I'm not much of a builder or uploader myself, though I still would like to download tons and tons of stuff. Especially since I was never a fan of the default lots EA shipped with its EPs or SPs or even the store.

I feel like even the Smilies have become angry, they aggressively follow around my words if I use one :D

If you have actual trouble with your account you should take some time to contact EA directly at their Answer HQ you can request an advisor who will hopefully help you at once. I only ever used the LiveChat which usually takes a couple of minutes until someone answers you, but they are all very nice.
    We stopped checking for monsters under the bed when we realized they were inside of us.
  • Options
    LieseMietzeLieseMietze Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2016
    Morning Simmers.
    .... I only ever used the LiveChat which usually takes a couple of minutes until someone answers you, but they are all very nice.
    Yes they are very nice indeed. Patient and really trying to help. But it is the stony path of trial and error.
    Since yesterday I can't log into the anymore and I'm not the only one.
    I reported to answer HQ and Operator Kristie told me to reboot my internet connection and try another browser.
    Uh? What browser do I need for login to the Launcher.
    I reinstalled Origin, no effect except when I try to start the game now, it says I'd done incompatible modifications.
    I'm using mods all the time, without any issue. So far so bad.

Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @simgurudrake or any one else that may care or have input.....any word or news? It is now Friday again and the exchange is still not working properly. Could you at least respond with an update of whether they have identified the problem and will have it fixed today, over the weekend, next week, 6 weeks, never? How long did it take last time? Seemed like forever and I'm hoping that it will not take that long this time!! It really is strange that the whole time Sims3 site was active and maintenance occurred it didn't break the exchange and now it does? Sorry, my conspiracy theorist persona is the active personality this am. @CravenLestat has a video of new patterns that I NEED desperately in my game!!!!, so tell them we need it fixed pronto, asap, now, stat, yesterday!!!!! :smiley:

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    It's got the feeling of them closing it down.... :(

That's what I was thinking also. I was trying to DL from my favorites plus my own lots.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    It's got the feeling of them closing it down.... :(

That's what I was thinking also. I was trying to DL from my favorites plus my own lots.

Nope.
    furious_zps5jrvxupu.jpg

All of the Sims would revolt if they did!
  • Options
    Fields007Fields007 Posts: 126 Member
    Have they broken something else cause I can't log onto sims 3 ingame to use the memory share and download store items let alone buy any if I wanted whilst ingame
  • Options
    Morning Simmers.
    .... I only ever used the LiveChat which usually takes a couple of minutes until someone answers you, but they are all very nice.
    Yes they are very nice indeed. Patient and really trying to help. But it is the stony path of trial and error.
    Since yesterday I can't log into the anymore and I'm not the only one.
    I reported to answer HQ and Operator Kristie told me to reboot my internet connection and try another browser.
    Uh? What browser do I need for login to the Launcher.
    I reinstalled Origin, no effect except when I try to start the game now, it says I'd done incompatible modifications.
    I'm using mods all the time, without any issue. So far so bad.

Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg

The launcher uses your browser. Clearing your browser cache or making a different browser the default can solve launcher problems.