Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch Disturbs Me

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Where is the insult?? "Transphobic??" Well...I hate to break it to you, bruh...but what you said was very transphobic. No insult, just fact. You can do what you want how you want it; but all I was saying it won't affect how you play it. Rude? Perhaps. But no insults. I just do not appreciate seeing people up in arms over something that is NOT directly imposed on them and crying about it, when it seems like they're probably more upset that it isn't directly catered to them.

You can play however you would like, but don't go around expecting everyone to not comment on the things you post on a public forum.

Wait until the patch in toddlers. But calling others names is inappropriate. No one has to play how you want to play and doesn't make them anything.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited June 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Trying to figure out HOW it disturbs you since it's optional.

Sometimes, we often forget we all come from different backgrounds and cultures and teachings and ideas and life experiences. It is up to us to to remember that. Not everyone in the whole world would love this patch and that is just a fact.

That doesn't change the fact that it gives more options without forcing you to use them. I would understand all this hysteria, if all of your townie males were running around in skirts... I would dislike this idea, too. But some guys and girls looking more androgynous is a cool thing for my game and I'm sure I will dress some townies accordingly.

Edit: Just so you know, if I would create a trans person, I would make them the sex they feel they are. It's bad enough they can't do it with zero effort in rl.
  • Options
    I am glad some players will enjoy the new patch. I may swap out some hair etc. Why players are upset isn't actually allowed to be discussed here If political or religious, so they can't make those arguments to you. They are left defenseless and without understanding there can be none when it's a one side conversation.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    edited June 2016

Is there a way for me to continue my game without updating to this patch? In my post, I have a save file that I have spent hours on, and I do not want to loose the progress that I have made, and I just don't want the gender identity to affect my townies. I have tried to find out via Youtube, how the patch affects the pre-made households, but so far nobody is confirming whether or not there are bugs.

Thanks in advance.

It's been confirmed that it shouldn't affect your townies! All of my townies have spawned with clothes that correspond with their gender
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    Where is the insult?? "Transphobic??" Well...I hate to break it to you, bruh...but what you said was very transphobic. No insult, just fact. You can do what you want how you want it; but all I was saying it won't affect how you play it. Rude? Perhaps. But no insults. I just do not appreciate seeing people up in arms over something that is NOT directly imposed on them and crying about it, when it seems like they're probably more upset that it isn't directly catered to them.

You can play however you would like, but don't go around expecting everyone to not comment on the things you post on a public forum.

First of all, just because I play with families that are male/female and they marry and have children, does not make me transfobic. I have spent hours on this save file, almost every patch has some bugs, so I want to make sure that my save file and the pre-made households that have relationships with my sims are not changed due to this patch. It is not a matter of whether I choose to make a transgender sim or not or how other simmers play there own games, it is about how I choose to play my own sandbox game. My post was in no way judging you or anyone else as a person or a simmer, nor was I trying to impose my game play onto you or anyone else.

Happy Simming
  • Options

Is there a way for me to continue my game without updating to this patch? In my post, I have a save file that I have spent hours on, and I do not want to loose the progress that I have made, and I just don't want the gender identity to affect my townies. I have tried to find out via Youtube, how the patch affects the pre-made households, but so far nobody is confirming whether or not there are bugs.

Thanks in advance.

It's been confirmed that it shouldn't affect your townies! All of my townies have spawned with clothes that correspond with their gender

Thank you for your response, I guess I will wait a few days and see if some of the Let's Plays I watch show after the patch show what happens.

Happy Simming
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    edited June 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I've got a question that concerns the term 'optional'. When I open my game (I've done the update), will the new gender thing be the default situation and do I have to turn it off? Or is it the other way around? (please if someone would be so kind to answer that question, could you tag me, it's a bit of a wild forrest out here concerning this subject ;))

It is the other way around.

When you go into CAS things will appear as they normally did--If you select that your Sim is male they will populate with the male CAS items that were always tagged for them as before with the same gender options as before--in order to use the additional clothing you will have to turn the male filter tag off to unlock almost the entire CAS library and you will have to click the three little dots (...) underneath the gender icons to adjust any of the gender settings (for instance you could change it so that your Sim still has a masculine frame, clothing preference is still masculine, they still get others pregnant, but they pee sitting down rather than standing up). Those options are completely opt-in if you so choose to use them. Otherwise if you just want to use CAS as you have always done then simply go through the same flow as you've always done. :)

Thanks in advance.

@gizzinator1 as stated above this patch WILL NOT have any bearing on your townies. It is simply for sims generated on a personal level. I have played hours in the new patch already killing sims off so that new ones generate and i've been checking the newly generated sims regularly and not one has any of the opposite genders clothes or the new gender options.

This was on an old save that i had a random family on that was made before the patch. I hope this gives you some hope your save wont have any issues!

EDIT: for anyone wondering why I was trying this out, it because I just wanted to see out of curiosity how good the mechanic worked!

EDIT 2: You physically have to go into CAS and make the changes on the townie yourself/ repopulate the town with self made sims to have townies with any of the new CAS options.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,621 Member

Wait until the patch in toddlers. But calling others names is inappropriate. No one has to play how you want to play and doesn't make them anything.

I'm very confused. I wasn't calling them names??? It wasn't even an insult. Their commentary was transphobic. Plain and simple. My response was rude, sure, but I wasn't calling anyone names. I don't care what they do with their game. Have fun. I don't care.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

First of all, just because I play with families that are male/female and they marry and have children, does not make me transfobic. I have spent hours on this save file, almost every patch has some bugs, so I want to make sure that my save file and the pre-made households that have relationships with my sims are not changed due to this patch. It is not a matter of whether I choose to make a transgender sim or not or how other simmers play there own games, it is about how I choose to play my own sandbox game. My post was in no way judging you or anyone else as a person or a simmer, nor was I trying to impose my game play onto you or anyone else.

Happy Simming

Upon installing a patch or new purchased content, ALWASY start a NEW save file as your testing ground. You can't mess up your game that way.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    LunaNova wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I've got a question that concerns the term 'optional'. When I open my game (I've done the update), will the new gender thing be the default situation and do I have to turn it off? Or is it the other way around? (please if someone would be so kind to answer that question, could you tag me, it's a bit of a wild forrest out here concerning this subject ;))

It is the other way around.

When you go into CAS things will appear as they normally did--If you select that your Sim is male they will populate with the male CAS items that were always tagged for them as before with the same gender options as before--in order to use the additional clothing you will have to turn the male filter tag off to unlock almost the entire CAS library and you will have to click the three little dots (...) underneath the gender icons to adjust any of the gender settings (for instance you could change it so that your Sim still has a masculine frame, clothing preference is still masculine, they still get others pregnant, but they pee sitting down rather than standing up). Those options are completely opt-in if you so choose to use them. Otherwise if you just want to use CAS as you have always done then simply go through the same flow as you've always done. :)

Thanks in advance.

@gizzinator1 as stated above this patch WILL NOT have any bearing on your townies. It is simply for sims generated on a personal level. I have played hours in the new patch already killing sims off so that new ones generate and i've been checking the newly generated sims regularly and not one has any of the opposite genders clothes of the new gender options.

This was on an old save that i had a random family on that was made before the patch. I hope this gives you some hope your save wont have any issues!

Thank you
    I might make my husband update his game first, lol.

Happy Simming.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'm very confused. I wasn't calling them names??? It wasn't even an insult. Their commentary was transphobic. Plain and simple. My response was rude, sure, but I wasn't calling anyone names. I don't care what they do with their game. Have fun. I don't care.

The quotes are getting mixed up that sometimes happens. I wasn't replying to you the person who called you names.

ETA: Now I need to go to bed because I'm quoting the wrong things. lol But I'm sorry I find being called transphobic or any other name offensive and I'm sure others do, too. I don't want EA touching my Sims no matter what is, doesn't make me anything. I work hard on my stories in my head just as the other person said they do. But the patch is optional inside game. Someday maybe patches will be for bug fixes.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,621 Member
    @gizzinator1: You said "I do not want to go into this save file and find that his best friend Don is now wearing a dress and changed his name to Donna."

I can understand not liking npcs acting out of the norm/not doing what you want, but that's specifically transphobic commentary. You're so afraid/against of a simple theoretical NPC doing something different that you wont even touch your own game. Like...bruh...that's just silly. Also, the commentary on "traditional families" (which I'm assuming is the straight, heterosexual kind) was also silly because that's been catered to/given content since the very beginning?? And I'm just ???????

@Cinebar: I stand by that "transphobic" isn't an insult, imo. And if folks think it is, idk flag me or something. I was rude/slightly passive aggressive but not slinging names or anything. Not like I'm calling someone an idiot/dinglehopper/whatever. You feel?
  • Options
    glorificaglorifica Posts: 258 Member
    i was really a bit astonished at all the hurtful comments made yesterday. the sims has always been a tolerant, positive and colorful game. i'm personally really pleased with this patch and i think it was tastefully done - you do NOT HAVE TO use the new options. never click on the (...) and you'll never see anything other than the cisgendered sims you're used to. everyone can continue playing their game as they always did and some of us get more options - i just can't fathom how anyone could be offended by this? ((and even if there is a bug and a random townie does show up whose outfit or gendersettings you don't like - kill them, delete them, edit them, it is your game. that't what i do with eliza pancakes in all my saves!))

also - to those of you who are offended: do you always dress yourself strictly according to your gender? i have guy friends who buy pants from the womens collection. i myself am cisgendered female and i constantly shop "man-clothes". i find it ridiculous that so many products (not just clothes, EVERYTHING!) are gendertagged in some way or another. i buy the shoes i like - regardless of the gender the shop is categorizing them for and marketing them to. and now my sims can do the same - think about it - this patch doesn't just mean that you can make a transsim, it also means that your cisgendered sims can pick more shirts and pants and shoes - many of which don't really have a gender to them. just look into the "who wore it better?"-thread - so many of the clothes look good on both genders without making the sims look "disgusting" oder "appalling" - just two of the words that users on here (and fb and twitter) have used in their reaction to this patch.

the real question could be if patches should ever add any content. saying you want exactly the basegame and nothing more could be a valid argument, but then again - whats basegame - pools? ghosts? all added by patches and some of it not even optional - OMG these pools and ghosts are being FORCED onto me, the worst is POOLGHOSTS, its disgusting!!11! - do you hear how ridiculous it sounds?
    simming on through.
  • Options

Happy Simming

Upon installing a patch or new purchased content, ALWASY start a NEW save file as your testing ground. You can't mess up your game that way.

I will have my husband update his game first, but and both of us will start a new save as a test.

Thank you
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    Well, the good news is we finally have the patch. The bad news is some have taken offense to it's content/added gameplay options. Yes, these added game play tidbits related to CAS are left up to the player's discretion. They are only a small part of the patch and they are not default options unless a player chooses to make them a default option. Nothing in CAS has been changed, therefore nothing in any saved games has been changed. And will never change unless it is changed by the player. I am relieved that is the case because I have been feeling as if my control over what is added to my game has slowly dwindled in Sims4.

But to argue over the personal value people are placing on this change in CAS is beyond pointless. We will never be of one mind because we are free-thinking human beings. There are many, many different ways to look at this change in CAS. But if it is an optional choice to use, or not to use, the choices EA/Maxis has given us, where is the harm? There is no harm being done to anyone because using the new CAS is totally optional. If a player dislikes this part of the patch, don't take advantage of it and play the game as you always have. Just don't expect the rest of the people on this forum to buy into the idea any of this is disturbing. If it weren't an option, I would be selling all my Sims4 stuff on ebay tomorrow. Not because of the transgender aspect. But because the option not to use it was taken away.

And, just to be clear, I am pro-choice in all things related to how a person defines him/herself. It is none of my business because I do not walk their path, in their shoes. But I will defend their right to choose their path even if it offends others. And that is a totally different conversation best left in other kinds of forums. Not here where we are supposed to be discussing Sims4.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It is funny how we are getting a few players complaining about too many threads like this complaining about the CAS options but is it any different to having too many toddler threads or too many complaint threads in general?

This is a forum, people are allowed to complain just as much as they are allowed to share pictures of their Sims in the new CAS.

Everyone should respect everyone else
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @gizzinator1: You said "I do not want to go into this save file and find that his best friend Don is now wearing a dress and changed his name to Donna."

I can understand not liking npcs acting out of the norm/not doing what you want, but that's specifically transphobic commentary. You're so afraid/against of a simple theoretical NPC doing something different that you wont even touch your own game. Like...bruh...that's just silly. Also, the commentary on "traditional families" (which I'm assuming is the straight, heterosexual kind) was also silly because that's been catered to/given content since the very beginning?? And I'm just ???????

@Cinebar: I stand by that "transphobic" isn't an insult, imo. And if folks think it is, idk flag me or something. I was rude/slightly passive aggressive but not slinging names or anything. Not like I'm calling someone an idiot/dinglehopper/whatever. You feel?

I personally like some of the pre-mades, so I don't want Don L to change from his womanizing, manly personality, to wearing a dress and acting more femine? Because my story suits him being a womanizing jerk, you feel like you have the right to call me names? I am sorry, I thought that my personal game play should be how I want to play, not how EA or other simmers decide that it has to be played? Isn't the Sims about sandbox play style? Creative play?

In every response in this thread, I have not personally attacked another simmer, or devalued anyone's opinion. Every response you have made to me has been rude, insulting, and a personal attack.

I honestly have not played any of my sims games for almost two months due to illness. Honestly, I hardly ever come on this forum, and just wanted to see if there was anything new regarding the new game pack, when I saw the patch notes.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and again, thank you so much for all of your insults and bullying.

Happy Simming
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    It is funny how we are getting a few players complaining about too many threads like this complaining about the CAS options but is it any different to having too many toddler threads or too many complaint threads in general?

This is a forum, people are allowed to complain just as much as they are allowed to share pictures of their Sims in the new CAS.

Everyone should respect everyone else

True, everyobe should calm down.
    Its just a game aka life simulator.
    Having conflicts causes stress.
  • Options
    glorificaglorifica Posts: 258 Member

I personally like some of the pre-mades, so I don't want Don L to change from his womanizing, manly personality, to wearing a dress and acting more femine? Because my story suits him being a womanizing jerk, you feel like you have the right to call me names? I am sorry, I thought that my personal game play should be how I want to play, not how EA or other simmers decide that it has to be played? Isn't the Sims about sandbox play style? Creative play?

In every response in this thread, I have not personally attacked another simmer, or devalued anyone's opinion. Every response you have made to me has been rude, insulting, and a personal attack.

I honestly have not played any of my sims games for almost two months due to illness. Honestly, I hardly ever come on this forum, and just wanted to see if there was anything new regarding the new game pack, when I saw the patch notes.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and again, thank you so much for all of your insults and bullying.

Happy Simming

don will not change. nor will any other townie change. unless you click (...) in CAS nothing will be different.

and even if don did change (which he won't!) it's like 10 clicks for you to take him to cas and make him whatever you want him to be.

it IS about creative play. it IS a sandbox - both you and i and many other people can now play the way we all want - be happy!
    simming on through.
  • Options
    glorifica wrote: »

Happy Simming

don will not change. nor will any other townie change. unless you click (...) in CAS nothing will be different.

and even if don did change (which he won't!) it's like 10 clicks for you to take him to cas and make him whatever you want him to be.

it IS about creative play. it IS a sandbox - both you and i and many other people can now play the way we all want - be happy!

Exactly. I do not want to judge other's, I just want to play my game my way.

Happy Simming
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    edited June 2016
    So unless your computer mouse is possessed by demons, the button will not be pressed at any time.

Mmmmmm demons that have a thing for tech <3 *fans myself*

I also think some must have some um......problems.....with trans and others etc. because even though it's optional they STILL make a stink. They just don't want even the idea of it near the game, even if they can't see it in the game itself unless they choose to. That says a lot to me tbh. And it's really sad, because is acceptance/rpresentation is something very much needed in gaming industry and I consider this a big thing not only for Sims but the future of gaming as a whole. I'm really pleased with the step taken to make this a possibility. Spread the acceptance/representation of people through gaming media. <3

I have a trans friend and she about jumped through the roof when I showed her the patch. She gets bullied quite a lot so being able to show her something to make her smile (whereas she's normally down, sadly) really brightened my day. Even if just for that one interaction in my life, I'm glad they made this. x3
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I don't like it. But as others seem to be saying; I can avoid it. Not much else to say.

*shrugs*

--T
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Just think about the glam rock potential this patch has if we get a ShowTime type of expansion.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    More_Moore wrote: »
    So unless your computer mouse is possessed by demons, the button will not be pressed at any time.

Mmmmmm demons that have a thing for tech <3 *fans myself*

I also think some must have some um......problems.....with trans and others etc. because even though it's optional they STILL make a stink. They just don't want even the idea of it near the game, even if they can't see it in the game itself unless they choose to. That says a lot to me tbh. And it's really sad, because is acceptance/rpresentation is something very much needed in gaming industry and I consider this a big thing not only for Sims but the future of gaming as a whole. I'm really pleased with the step taken to make this a possibility. Spread the acceptance/representation of people through gaming media. <3

I have a trans friend and she about jumped through the roof when I showed her the patch. She gets bullied quite a lot so being able to show her something to make her smile (whereas she's normally down, sadly) really brightened my day. Even if just for that one interaction in my life, I'm glad they made this. x3

After the outrage on the forums, I would have to say it is a problem with the world a whole, not just the gaming industry. I once knew a man who, when dressed as a man we were to call him by his birth name, Brian. When he was dressed as woman we were to call him Veronica. He was in fact totally straight, but enjoyed dressing up a woman. He felt as though nothing should be gendered and equality of all people. He even would enter and WIN drag queen beauty pageants! It would in fact make the gay drag queen contestants angry because they seriously believed dressing in drag is purely for gay men. But hey equality for all right!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top