Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art Commune Reading Circle

Comments

• JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    I like the idea of maybe having a theme discussion on writing alternated with maybe a story discussion? Discussing stories doesn't have to be entirely guided by questions just a general idea to start off the discussion. People could talk about the story with spoiler tags until everyone is caught up.

Also sorry for being so distracted. I did get some screens started for the Han Bak portion of the prologue of LHY where the Great Aunt is telling the story of their ancestor. I just love this CC I found. Its awesome

tumblr_o8cv4mTGKo1vn7ylco1_1280.png
    tumblr_o8cv4mTGKo1vn7ylco2_540.png
    tumblr_o8cv4mTGKo1vn7ylco3_540.png
    tumblr_o8cv4mTGKo1vn7ylco4_540.png

• RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Ooh, those Sims are gorgeous, @JLBDreamer!

Also figured I'd drop the latest update to The Chrysanthemum Tango here too.

Chapter 13: Garden Retreat
    CtwGYeE.jpg

It’s not just Amelia who sometimes needs a break to think about things. This time it’s Tad’s turn. But perhaps his approach to it isn’t the best. At least it makes Amelia very worried.

I hope you enjoy!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    I'm open for whatever we want to discuss. In terms of structure, I like @CathyTea's idea of a theme or a word to discuss related to our writing. I don't want to feel like it's homework either... already have enough of that in school, but if it's structured it's a little bit like fun work because I enjoy reading. In fact, when people ask me what I do when I'm done writing papers, I always say "I write." And they ask me why because I just finished writing to which I reply "It's different. This is fun writing. It's a way for me to unwind." I feel similarly about reading (and I posted something about that in your other thread @MedleyMisty.

:)

I haven't been working on Kass's story because I've been trying to get other stories caught up and out there, and because I was feeling like I couldn't quite capture what I wanted to do next in the words I wanted. I'll be posting soon... I hope.

@JLBDreamer I just realized I haven't popped over to read your works. *goes to do so precisely now*
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    So excited about your screenshots, @JLBDreamer - Historical Korean drama is one of my top fav genres! :)

So excited to read the next chapter of Chrysanthemum Tango, @RipuAncestor --sort of feeling like I need a break myself from life-confusion, so it will be very fun to read about Tad's break!

So enjoying reading Kass's story, @AdamsEve1231 ! I've been reading on my nook, so I've been "liking" but not leaving comments. It's really enjoyable to read a few chapters, take a few days to think about them, and then return.

I'm looking forward to reading some Racket-Rotter this week, @rednenemon ! Last I left off,
    we were just getting ready to meet Mr. Clay! Ooooh! So excited

@MedleyMisty how is the darkness and the darkness's friend? :) I often think about them throughout the week, reflecting back on previous chapters or thinking ahead to unwritten ones.... I like to imagine the two of them wandering...

@friendsfan367 What's up with the Benders? I read a chapter with adorable children... then it seems like disaster hit? I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Also, I found a really neat article today--by one of my favorites, Tara Mohr. I've shared some of her work before. I love her blogs and poems. This one is really great, to me, about the creative process and who it's for: http://www.taramohr.com/2016/06/my-advice-to-authors-or-anyone-creating-anything/

Hope you enjoy this post of hers, too!

Wishing you all a lovely day!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    iif lauren snd noel stay alive i can update today.
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @CathyTea

I read the spoilered part, and I can't help but chuckle because:
    Either you're farther in the story than I thought, or, as a saying I just made up (and at the immense risk of spoiling some of the story):

"You might have to catch a few Red Herrings before you find your Hylian Loach*."

*Hylian Loach: A fish from the Legend of Zelda series, known for being rare and hard to catch.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    rednenemon wrote: »
    @CathyTea

I read the spoilered part, and I can't help but chuckle because:
    Either you're farther in the story than I thought, or, as a saying I just made up (and at the immense risk of spoiling some of the story):

"You might have to catch a few Red Herrings before you find your Hylian Loach*."

*Hylian Loach: A fish from the Legend of Zelda series, known for being rare and hard to catch.
    I'm at the beginning of arc 2, with the guy who's all upset about the broken pottery and was rehearsing what to say on the phone! "Uh... Mr. Clay? About your clay... It's cracked." :D

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    That post you linked was a very good one, @CathyTea! All such good things to be reminded about in the midst of writing and creative endeavours in general. Also I think that writing Tango has sort of become one of my personal breaks from the confusion of life. It helps me step back and sort things out and just do what I want in text and screenshot form. I'm glad if it gives the readers something good too. :)
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    @JLBDreamer I didn't realize you hadn't posted story links yet. I'm looking forward to reading the Last 100 Years. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Can I ask everyone a question? What made you decide to write the story you did and/or what inspired it?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Can I ask everyone a question? What made you decide to write the story you did and/or what inspired it?

So, I think I already shared what inspired me to write the series--it was Medley's excitement about the 30 Days of Simming project (plus her awesome list of prompts) combined with NoWayJose/MooninCapricorn's posts about conflict as the fuel for scenes combined with a post that Tara Mohr made about "Writing for You."

Now then, the inspirations from the specific prompts came from a quiet moment in the office--I think I'd just finished my snack of apples and peanut butter with a cup of hot organic Mexican free-trade coffee (hence one of the prompts I came up! It really was in a red cup, too!) . So I was feeling relaxed and dreamy and open and happy. I just started letting the ideas flow--I love to do that! Little stream-of-consciousness brainstorming.

When it comes to write the story for each specific prompt, I tend to go for visuals--a lot of the prompts are pretty visual, anyway. And then I think about the specific conflict/issue/or scenario which that image symbolizes to me. It's been really fun--then the most fun of it is seeing the surprises, the ways that the different stories intersect.

• rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

A prompts blog on Tumblr was what helped start Chronicles.

About a few months after I uninstalled the game (for technical reasons), I decided to still write prompt submissions for that blog (albeit text-only instead of picture and spoken dialogue). Soon, I had most of Arc 1/part of Arc 2 posted on my blog.

I then decided to expand to another social platform, which happened to be Wordpress. And it went on from there (though I phased the prompts out early on, something that can be relatively evident at a certain point in Arc 2)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)

Ooooh boy! I hope it's not a repeat of the repeat (of the repeat!).

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Ooooh boy! I hope it's not a repeat of the repeat (of the repeat!).

no just twins
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm just sorry that things have proceeded so slow and haphazardly and delayed my Simlit. I'm working as I can and feel pretty certain I can have the Last 100 Years started by this weekend (as well as another story being updated that was stalled also). I'll share some other behind the scenes shots with you also.

@AdamsEve1231 Oh yeah I could post the "splash page for the story" here and my webpage.

The Last 100 Years
    Dreaming Sims (My Webpage with all my stories if you want to see my other works.)

I guess I'll post a little info since everyone has enjoyed my teasers. From my webpage:

kumihosigbannerbackground.jpg?w=700

900 years ago in SimKorea the redemption of an ancient Gumiho was put into the hands of the Pak Shrine. When the family immigrated to Willow Creek, now known as the Parks, the last chance of redemption is in the hands of a branch of the family that has lost its roots. Will these last 10 generations succeed where the others failed?

At its heart this is a family drama styled after K-Drama (which tends to get a bit melodramatic and silly at times which is why its so fun) with a bit of Korean Myth sprinkled in.

Okay get ready for a long ramble since I suppose 3 things inspired me to write this.

1) The idea behind this story is depicting an immigrant family discovering their roots and how cultures can learn from one another. It's also a way for me to show my love for this culture and I suppose how wonderful it is to discover other cultures. I hear a lot from other families how it seems by about the 3rd generation an appreciation for the culture of where their ancestors comes from can get a little lost. I myself am 3rd generation from a German/English immigrant couple on my mother's side. My mom regrets never learning to speak German and kind of wish I had the time to since it would make learning about that side of my heritage easier. I know a lot more about the English side since there is no language barrier. I think the divide between generations of immigrant families is most pronounced for Asian cultures since its a lot more different than Western. It's sort of an interesting subject to explore for me.

2) I stumbled across K-Drama about 3 years ago when looking at anime and Hulu suggested some K-Dramas. I immediately took interest in the synopsis for the Gu Family Book since it had one of my most favorite mythological creatures Fox Spirits at its center. It was so wonderful an experience to watch I caught up and started watching some other K-Dramas. I was hooked! To tribute K-Drama it seemed natural to me to tribute the one that started me out on them by centering mine on an immortal fox spirit.

3) I am a mythology geek and I guess it was natural, after having watched anime for a number of years, to dive into the asian myths that inspired them. The amazing things about myths is that they often are shared between regions so it led me to look into Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean myths as well. One of the shared creatures of East Asia are Fox Spirits. They are to Asians what vampires and werewolves are to Westereners.

220px-Prince_Hanzoku_terrorised_by_a_nine-_tailed_fox.jpg

The earliest mentions are in Chinese myth where they are called Hui Jing. They are said to either be actual foxes that gained the knowledge to shapeshift into human form or spirits of the land that can take any form but choose to take the form of foxes or people. For each year of life they grow in power, gain another tail and become better at shapeshifting. Their ultimate form is when they have lived 100 years and gained 9 tails so often they are referred to as Nine-Tailed Foxes in stories also. From china they migrated becoming the Kitsune no Kami in Japan and Gumiho/Kumiho in Korea.

Most early accounts they basically are monsters. They shapeshift into human form in the guise of a beautiful young man or woman, most myths they are women, that prey upon young virgins seducing them and eating their hearts and livers. Though they mostly remained evil in Chinese and Korean myths but in the Japanese they can be good or evil. In modern myth they usually are portrayed as either good or evil in both Korea and Japan now but I'm unsure as to how pop culture in China views them now. My Kumiho in the story will drawn from all of these sources but in modern terms I'd say my most major modern influence are The Gu Family Book, as I mentioned before, and the manga/anime Kamisama Kiss (Kamisama Hajimemashita).

The Gu Family Book is both multigenerational and with the theme of loyalty, and lack of, in love transcending time. I hope to have this as a theme in mine as well. The main characters of Kamisama's dynamic have a bit of an influence on at least part of the story because the Fox Spirit is bound to a shrine, to protect it and its God, and used to be evil. I recommend both of these stories for those interested in dipping their toes into a more modern take on asian myths.

That is my ramble on my influences on my upcoming story.
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
    edited June 2016
    @JLBDreamer I'm usually not into legacies, but your intro and your background lore already have me very interested. :)
    What made you decide to write the story you did and/or what inspired it?
    I remember the very rough idea of my story popping into my head sometime around last summer. Maybe it was because I'd read Sir Pratchett's works and Neil Gaiman's Sandman -stories again. I also wrote a CampNaNoWriMo that year where there was a character that resembled Tad in many ways. Then the idea just stuck to my head and I kept refining it and inventing new characters and an actual story and then I decided that yeah, I want to do this.

In addition to Pterry and Gaiman's works, this story was also inspired by my love for anthropomorphic personifications, darker stuff, whimsy, urban fantasy and the general idea of a hidden fantasy world in an everyday setting. And maybe also a little by Markus Zusak's Book Thief, since I read it last autumn, and it had quite a lovely Death as a narrator. Maybe the weirdest "inspiration" were the Twilight ripoffs some people made with The Sims 2, though only in a sense that while I was designing Tad's character, I partly made him a parody of the supernatural Gothic guys in those by making him kind of look like one, but not act at all like one (and while that's not the main point or the basis for his character, it was a fun little inspiration). And by making him totally socially awkward. Also the inspiration for the a bit exaggeratedly colourful and cute/whimsical visual style was the TV series Pushing Daisies. That's all I can remember now.
    My Sims stories:
    CathyTea wrote: »

So, I think I already shared what inspired me to write the series--it was Medley's excitement about the 30 Days of Simming project (plus her awesome list of prompts) combined with NoWayJose/MooninCapricorn's posts about conflict as the fuel for scenes combined with a post that Tara Mohr made about "Writing for You."

Now then, the inspirations from the specific prompts came from a quiet moment in the office--I think I'd just finished my snack of apples and peanut butter with a cup of hot organic Mexican free-trade coffee (hence one of the prompts I came up! It really was in a red cup, too!) . So I was feeling relaxed and dreamy and open and happy. I just started letting the ideas flow--I love to do that! Little stream-of-consciousness brainstorming.

When it comes to write the story for each specific prompt, I tend to go for visuals--a lot of the prompts are pretty visual, anyway. And then I think about the specific conflict/issue/or scenario which that image symbolizes to me. It's been really fun--then the most fun of it is seeing the surprises, the ways that the different stories intersect.

@CathyTea I love Mexican coffee too. I love the feeling of holding a warm oversized mug between my hands and taking a big deep whiff of the deliciousness.

I try to balance a combination of visual inspiration in the game and coming up with text to follow or writing text and staging screenshots. It depends on the day and my frame of mind and what style I really want to do for the day. I love how the game seriously helps me break through writer's block when I just play and don't have an end goal in mind. Does anyone else find the game helps with writer's block?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @JLBDreamer Your background sounds fascinating. I, too, enjoy anime. I liked it back in high school but then my husband reintroduced me to it in the last few years. Asian culture, particularly Japanese, equally fascinates and frustrates me for the same reason- it's so different from my Western mindset, but I really enjoy learning about something that challenges me.

I think you're absolutely right about the loss of culture. My parents divorce left me estranged from one of my parents. I reconnected in the last four years and I'm just now learning things about that side of the family I was totally unaware of before. It's really neat hearing about our family history.

I enjoy mythology too - I've been doing some research into different kinds of European mythology (different from traditional Roman and Greek). I've learned a lot about Celtic and German mythology. I've also been learning about Aboriginal mythology. I've started into learning about South American mythology as well. I didn't think about combining my interests in mythology with the Sims.

I am really looking forward to reading your story now.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited June 2016
    @RipuAncestor Thanks so much. I take that as a compliment. I'm excited to read yours as well.

@AdamsEve1231 I hope to live up to the expectations people have for it! I've not looked much into Aboriginal Myth but I have deleved into most others. I started more with the anceint mythology in school (Greek/Roman/Egytian primarily) that sparked my interest. I moved on form there to Celtic/Scandinavian/Germanic since I've always liked stories involving Faire Folk. I actually had a story that I'm not resurrecting that had a lot of Fay in it as well as Asian mythical characters mixed together and one I'm continuing that draws on the mythology of Ancient Egypt. It seems natural to marry two hobbies to me since mythology inspires me as a storyteller.

Since I haven't shared these here this is my Gumiho.

tumblr_o7k379WiYF1vn7ylco2_540.png

This is his human form.

tumblr_o7k379WiYF1vn7ylco3_540.png

This is his Fox Spirit form.

Also not shown anywhere else in the form yet two more preview pics taken after I finished the final set for this scene in the story.

tumblr_o8ew1ua8ON1vn7ylco1_540.png

tumblr_o8ew1ua8ON1vn7ylco2_540.png

This is his first appearance in the story. His name is Hanuel Cho which means "Heavenly Beautiful/Beauty".
    @JLBDreamer Yeah, it was meant as a compliment so I'm glad you took it as such. Also oooh! Fox spirits! I love foxes and spirits! And mythology as well. Aside from the more well-known Roman, Egyptian, and Greek and all that stuff I'm also very interested in old Norse and Finnish mythologies (probably not surprising :smiley:) and old European and Mayan myths. Also fairytales are a lot of fun too. But pretty much all mythologies are fun to learn about. So I'm definitely interested in your story!
    My Sims stories:
    I love the joy of clicking "Publish" and then... that green button in the upper right, "View Post!" :D

Here's my latest: Three Rivers 16.1

Plus... my newest (one of my) favorite Sims!

sixteen16.png?w=776

Guh! She's so much fun! (Her default everyday outfit includes an awesome fedora! :smiley: )

@JLBDreamer Your K-drama Sims look amazing! I'm super excited about this new series of yours--I seriously think about it three or four times a day!