Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't build restaurant on Retail lot

It's a shame we can't build a restaurant on a retail lot... Hopefully they change this in future.
I wanted to make a Shopping Mall.

***Not moaning*** can't wait for Dine Out :)<3

Comments

• GlindePopGlindePop Posts: 134 Member
    Someday I hope they make it possible for us to build multiple venue types in one lot. The venue combinations that I would love to build are:

1. Cafe/Bakery/Restaurant
    2. Gym/Pool/Spa
    3. Park/Natural pool
    4. Lounge/Restaurant
    5. Library/Museum

..... Thats it for now :smile:
  • RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    GlindePop wrote: »
    Someday I hope they make it possible for us to build multiple venue types in one lot. The venue combinations that I would love to build are:

2. Gym/Pool/Spa
    3. Park/Natural pool
    4. Lounge/Restaurant
    5. Library/Museum

<3

• jacqpinksjacqpinks Posts: 2,118 Member
    that is a shame though, it would be good to combine lots especially with such a small map :(
    Jacqpinks ♥'s The Sims
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I was expecting this.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

2. Gym/Pool/Spa
    3. Park/Natural pool
    4. Lounge/Restaurant
    5. Library/Museum

You can already do this one. Zone it as a "Gym" - all the NPCs for Gym and Spa turn up and Sims only get Whims to use Spa/Pool objects, not visit Spa/Pool lots.
  • GlindePopGlindePop Posts: 134 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

2. Gym/Pool/Spa
    3. Park/Natural pool
    4. Lounge/Restaurant
    5. Library/Museum

You can already do this one. Zone it as a "Gym" - all the NPCs for Gym and Spa turn up and Sims only get Whims to use Spa/Pool objects, not visit Spa/Pool lots.

Are you sure massage chairs and beds work in Gym venues? I thought they didnt :/

2. Gym/Pool/Spa
    3. Park/Natural pool
    4. Lounge/Restaurant
    5. Library/Museum

Are you sure massage chairs and beds work in Gym venues? I thought they didnt :/

They work as long as you pay someone to work. Otherwise the game won't spawn NPC's to massage you etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    They work at gym venues. The NPCs show up without hiring them.

Hmm...I thought only the yoga mattress worked :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Hmm...I thought only the yoga mattress worked :p

I'll go test again, sec...
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    But I am wondering what happens if you place the new cooking/sink/host stations on a retail lot. Maybe NPCs will still appear or we can hire them?
    edited May 2016
    IceyJ wrote: »
    But I am wondering what happens if you place the new cooking/sink/host stations on a retail lot. Maybe NPCs will still appear or we can hire them?

You won't have the option to hire workers that work for you. It'll likely work like the cash register in the retail. The stove might be functional without an employee though, it'll probably have the options the normal stoves have.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited May 2016
    So I've placed the Perfect Balance Spa and rezoned as a Gym. (I had to add a piece of workout equipment, so there's a Punching Bag outside)

5f3e35e452.png

Now to send a sim there...

As the lot loads:
    b8e5fad4c0.png
    bfd19e6780.png
    43efdadcea.png

And lets see how many arrive if I give it a couple of minutes...
    267e6d9f6d.png

Plus the Gym Trainer and Yoga Instructor. I think 2 of the massage tables are too close together for a 6th masseuse.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Other than possibly res/retail or res/restaurant, I don't see them combining any lots into one. The system for each is too specific for that.
    So I've placed the Perfect Balance Spa and rezoned as a Gym. (I had to add a piece of workout equipment, so there's a Punching Bag outside)

5f3e35e452.png

Now to send a sim there...

As the lot loads:
    b8e5fad4c0.png
    bfd19e6780.png
    43efdadcea.png

And lets see how many arrive if I give it a couple of minutes...
    267e6d9f6d.png

Plus the Gym Trainer and Yoga Instructor. I think 2 of the massage tables are too close together for a 6th masseuse.

However placing down a stove or any other object like the podium etc will not spawn employees. Those you have to hire yourself which is part of the restaurant system and for that you need to be on a restaurant lot.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

However placing down a stove or any other object like the podium etc will not spawn employees. Those you have to hire yourself which is part of the restaurant system and for that you need to be on a restaurant lot.

I think a guru already confirmed that for NPC (non-owned) restaurants you just place them down and townies fill the roles. It won't need setting up because the uniforms/dress code/menus etc will have been set up already by the gurus. If you build them yourself, there is probably a default menu/uniform/dress code it starts with until the restaurant is bought and edited by a player.

Also, I was answering the bit about combined Gym/Spa/Pool, not a combo involving restaurants.

I think a guru already confirmed that for NPC (non-owned) restaurants you just place them down and townies fill the roles. It won't need setting up because the uniforms/dress code/menus etc will have been set up already by the gurus. If you build them yourself, there is probably a default menu/uniform/dress code it starts with until the restaurant is bought and edited by a player.

Yes, but those only work on restaurant lots not other lots :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I never said they did?

You won't have the option to hire workers that work for you. It'll likely work like the cash register in the retail. The stove might be functional without an employee though, it'll probably have the options the normal stoves have.

You know how you can click on a fridge to temporarily hire a caterer or click the espresso counter to make a barista appear for $100? That's what I meant. I'm hoping we at least have that option to have someone man the stations. And hopefully the restaurant NPCs will appear automatically on the lots we don't own, so you can still create a mall/restaurant combo to visit.
  • lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    Wish they would change the system a bit. I wish interaction was related to the objects placed on a lot. For example, if I place a bar in a museum, an npc will show up when I visit. I don't mind labeling the lots as a certain type, but I wish it was just a label, not what determines what I need on the lot, and what will be automatically used/run. If it was just labels, then you could use more than one label maybe, and whatever you have on a lot will be counted for it.

You know how you can click on a fridge to temporarily hire a caterer or click the espresso counter to make a barista appear for $100? That's what I meant. I'm hoping we at least have that option to have someone man the stations. And hopefully the restaurant NPCs will appear automatically on the lots we don't own, so you can still create a mall/restaurant combo to visit.

I thought you were referring to being able to hire NPC's to tend to the podium etc in a retail lot.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Not surprising. The game has files which determine the behaviour of Sims for specific lots and social events (for example, there's a Bartender_Alien file for Mixologists on Sixam, as well as a Bartender_Costume for costume and spooky parties), and these files tell Sims how to act in certain situations.

So this pack will have a Customer_restaurant file, or something similar. Build restaurant parts on a Retail lot, and Sims either won't use it the way it's meant to, or they'll help themselves to the fridge and start preparing their own meals, because the restaurant file isn't relevant for that situation.
    wJbomAo.png
    edited May 2016

How do you know for sure? I don't think any of us know how they've programmed this particular pack to work, yet. For all we know, NPCs might show up regardless of lot type if it is a lot we don't own.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Night club / Restaurant

I have one made just for that idea. Search my ID lot name Showtime (based at TS3 Showtime biggest event saloon)