Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims at risk? - Going Downhill or Uphill

12345679...Next

Comments

• Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't think so, social media and gaming forums aren't the best or most accurate things to determine success or failure since people who dislike something are usually more vocal about it than people who like the same thing. We don't know how many people own The Sims 4 and of we don't know everyone's opinion on that game. I've seen allot of negative feedback for the game since before launch but I've also seen allot of positive feedback. Also user scores and even critic scores on places like Metacritic, IGN etc. shouldn't really be used as evidence for anything, what they have is a public opinion and most of the time, the user scores only present a very small portion of the game's community/player-base.

Considering the player-base has grown by 2/3 in 2015(it's second year of release) and about a year ago, The Sims 4 was said to be have exceeded expectations, doing better than it was originally thought to(that in itself shows success). It's also been in the top 10 best selling games, it still is in some places. You can see from going online whilst playing The Sims 4 that there are allot of players that go on the game on a daily basis(beating some of the online games on Steam in terms of player numbers). I haven't seen any facts to say that The Sims 4 was at risk(only opinions and pure speculation) or going downhill and the Gurus have said it's doing fine, I trust them so I'll believe them.

I don't think it would be a wise move for them to cancel The Sims 4 when it's evidently been progressing, not only has allot of effort and money been put in to it but the fan-base has been growing pretty quickly. Some players may change their stance on the game but I've really only seen the same people show negativity or positivity. The game has gotten pretty popular on Youtube with allot of big Channels playing the game and are likely to be a reason the game has gotten a larger fan-base. Plus if The Sims 4 were cancelled to make room for The Sims 5, how could the fans trust EA not to cancel The Sims 5 or any other games, it would upset allot of fans and EA would likely lose a large portion of potential customers at least for some time.

As for EA Play, I don't really see how the appearance of a game during a convention/presentation really proves anything. As for communication, I honestly feel that the Sims Team are being more and more open to us in the best way they can, they've already commented detailed explanations about why they can't show future content yet they've shown us a short trailer(which will occur every quarter), resumed weekly live streams and as per usual, given us information on Packs before they release. I can see their trying their best to communicate with the fan-base, especially since they seem to be interacting more and more on social media and the official forums, so I personally appreciate this and welcome the change.

Is The Sims 4 at risk? No one can honestly say without guessing, only those who work on the game would know this, anyone else's guess, is just that.
    Post edited by Prink34320 on
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    It's like a freaking pattern.. I just feel like we're getting pets next, ugh Idk It's Impossible to speculate with TS4. geez.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I think Sims 4 is boring and it is also very silly, that is why I went back to Sims 3.
  • Options
    ID-ChristianID-Christian Posts: 128 Member
    @jackjack_k provided this link that shows The Sims 4 being the best selling computer title! On top of fallout!
    http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Essential-Facts-2016.pdf
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    candy8 wrote: »
    I think Sims 4 is boring and it is also very silly, that is why I went back to Sims 3.

I went back to the sims 2. As a "storyteller" Sim I find the sims 2 to be the most storytelling "friendly" Sims game in the franchise with Sims 3 in second due to "Story Mode" that I'm falling in love with!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    @jackjack_k provided this link that shows The Sims 4 being the best selling computer title! On top of fallout!

Thanks for the laugh. Now that was funny. Believe me Sims 4 is no where close to any of the big sellers - not even EA Big Sellers. It is merely a dot on a 2000 word essay in comparison. Jack has a lot of wishful thinking.

As for The Sims 4 going to EA's "event" I can not understand why anyone assumed they would go to start with - as events like that is not really a showcase for a game like the Sims even if the Sims actually was the best game ever made - you would not expect to see such a game offered to be played at this type of event to start with. I find it amazing that so many assumed it would be as this is not the E3. I do suspect if the Sims 4 has anything to share with the General public you may want to focus on perhaps Gamescom - and perhaps they are planning to show coming attractions and the next ep there. E3 and Gamescom is the type of events I would expect a Sims game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    It's like a freaking pattern.. I just feel like we're getting pets next, ugh Idk It's Impossible to speculate with TS4. geez.

A Guru or deve posted recently that Pets is not even being worked on at this point. And expansion packs take a LONG time to make, from the very start to release. So I'm afraid you'll have a long wait.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I think it's important to note (as someone did in another thread) Fallout 4 also released for the PS4/XB1, Sims 4 doesn't have a console counterpart, the sales for all 3 platforms could add up to more (idk, I don't really care to check or care about sales lol, just noting)

Also Sims 4 was available for all of 2015, Fallout came out at the very end of 2015.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh. Now that was funny. Believe me Sims 4 is no where close to any of the big sellers - not even EA Big Sellers. It is merely a dot on a 2000 word essay in comparison.

I know, I find that list literally unbelievable. SimCity2013, the flop, selling well in 2015? hahahahahaha

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh. Now that was funny. Believe me Sims 4 is no where close to any of the big sellers - not even EA Big Sellers. It is merely a dot on a 2000 word essay in comparison. Jack has a lot of wishful thinking.

As for The Sims 4 going to EA's "event" I can not understand why anyone assumed they would go to start with - as events like that is not really a showcase for a game like the Sims even if the Sims actually was the best game ever made - you would not expect to see such a game offered to be played at this type of event to start with. I find it amazing that so many assumed it would be as this is not the E3. I do suspect if the Sims 4 has anything to share with the General public you may want to focus on perhaps Gamescom - and perhaps they are planning to show coming attractions and the next ep there. E3 and Gamescom is the type of events I would expect a Sims game.
    Lovely seeing all those Sims 3 Titles sell strong too especially during the current iteration. That's awesome about Fallout 4 too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't see anything funny about that chart. As for Simcity 2013 selling, it has been on many many 75% off sales. I wouldn't be surprised if it did sell enough to get on that list.

I have a feeling that EA could come out and give people a financial report that says "The Sims 4 sold 10 million and this is how much profit it brought" and the forums would still be like "yeah, right. Pff. You're lying!".
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2016
    @mirta000 wrote: »
    I don't see anything funny about that chart. As for Simcity 2013 selling, it has been on many many 75% off sales. I wouldn't be surprised if it did sell enough to get on that list.

I have a feeling that EA could come out and give people a financial report that says "The Sims 4 sold 10 million and this is how much profit it brought" and the forums would still be like "yeah, right. Pff. You're lying!".

You mean like how often TS4 has been at 1/2 off several times, too? I have no doubt TS4 is selling well like that. :lol:

I would actually believe it IF EA shared their sold Units of TS4. I have no problem with people actually liking TS4 and I have no problem it selling well. I'm glad and really hope they keep the money in the game and in the future of The Sims with the next iteration in the works soon. :)
  • Options
    Apple9Apple9 Posts: 45 Member
    I think the sims isn't in danger I love all of the sims games I don't think that's goin to change
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

A Guru or deve posted recently that Pets is not even being worked on at this point. And expansion packs take a LONG time to make, from the very start to release. So I'm afraid you'll have a long wait.

Well, If a guru can say Pets isn't being worked on they can say Toddlers aren't being worked on right? I mean both are 'future content' when GuruDrake said anything not in the game right now is considered future content and can't be mentioned. Well, he just did, didnt' he? Oh, the speed of logic my mind works. :#
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Well, If a guru can say Pets isn't being worked on they can say Toddlers aren't being worked on right? I mean both are 'future content' when GuruDrake said anything not in the game right now is considered future content and can't be mentioned. Well, he just did, didnt' he? Oh, the speed of logic my mind works. :#

OMGoodness- Right?! They can say Pets aren't being worked on Yet but won't say about Toddlers... just SAY if they are or aren't. That's really not a hard or a huge thing to ask.
  • Options
    Apple9Apple9 Posts: 45 Member
    More stuff are being added in like restaurants and toddlers and pets and season will be added on later so I think the sims 4 is fun
  • Options
    Apple9 wrote: »
    More stuff are being added in like restaurants and toddlers and pets and season will be added on later so I think the sims 4 is fun

Hi :)

Welcome to the Sims site. :cookie:

Where did you hear that all those are will be added? We do know about Restaurants but the rest... please post links to your sources. :)
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

OMGoodness- Right?! They can say Pets aren't being worked on Yet but won't say about Toddlers... just SAY if they are or aren't. That's really not a hard or a huge thing to ask.

I think if they were to say that toddlers are or are not being worked on or thought about, it would be a lot more controversial. Could you imagine if they came out and said "toddlers are not being worked on or considered at this point" they would probably lose a lot of customers. If they came out and said they were then they would possibly gain quite a few customers that had left from the "no toddlers" situation(or family play etc.) The fact that they say nothing about it makes me think that they are not being worked on and they don't want to say that because by not saying anything they are keeping people around waiting(which is pretty deceitful, knowing how much people want toddlers.) Maybe they are though and just don't want to talk about it because they are unsure if it is going to work out and don't want to get peoples hopes up just to turn around and anger and upset a part of the community.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Well you have to admit the reveling of "Pets are not being worked on right now" remark was a slip of Grants tongue during game play in reply to something about a pet in the game. It was not really in regard of a report or discussion here on the forum. Grant IS human (believe it or not), and humans do sometimes say things - unthinking - that they experience at work, day in and day out - innocently in the midst of game play. It was not as if someone asked outright on the forums and that it was a direct reply. I call that idle chatter where sometimes there is a slip of the tongue.

That said, I did think it was way to early to even think we'd be getting pets since the Guru's have remarked before it is one of the hardest eps to make and one that takes the most work. They said Sims 3 Pets took 3 years to make - so knowing this - is it really a surprise they have not started working on that ep at the time of that broadcast? LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2016
    The thing to remember is that EA (the company, not the people) doesn't actually give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 whether you LIKE the game or not; all that matters is that enough people buy the games to make a profit on what it cost to make them. And most people who buy Sims 4 can be relied upon to buy the expansions, even if not everybody concerns themselves with Stuff Packs.

So, so far, Sims 4 has been a success. True, interest in the Sims goes down over time, but that would be because EA's consumer-base has settled in and there isn't a living person over 8 who doesn't know what playing the game involves any more. It's not as special as it used to be.

It's possible there won't be a Sims 5, but something tells me EA will keep on making their DLC on the side for Sims 4 even if there isn't.

A lot of the stats for Sims 4 sales are actually based on physical retail copies, not copies bought over the internet.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Sapphire268Sapphire268 Posts: 66 Member
    Honestly, I have no clue. With how secretive EA is currently being, I am clueless on what's going on. I think it'll continue, it's certainly made enough money, but who knows in the end.