March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Soooo....

kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
I'm basically considering myself new to this game and have appreciated all the input so far. As some of you may know, I was bound and determined to play this game on my mac. That changed. I'm installing it on windows right now. Details aren't needed, methinks. I went through an initial inner struggle. Should I install this on my dedicated PC? My Bootcamp? Or through Paralells? I chose the latter. I'll see how it goes and go from there.

For those who don't know, it's really annoying to keep switching back and forth. :)

Soooo. Now that I have a bit of time away from the game, I figured I'd share my experiences from the point of view of someone who has no clue :)

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I can't believe it's taken me this long. I've been playing with the graphics settings to get a look I prefer. I find having it all at high... I don't know... I just don't like the lighting or something? Luckily, I found that changing everything to medium suits my anime taste more, but I kept the reflections up high :)

Anyway, I finally broke down and installed up to Ambitions. I needed an inventor and an investigator for my story-ish/whatever playstyle. And martial arts was highly needed for Tifa (FFVII fans?).

I'm still working on the 'perfect' look for my world and sims, so I jump into CAS a lot and modify them frequently. I downloaded a skin recommended in another thread and it totally works for my taste. I also broke down and installed traveller, despite that I said I didn't want to play with mods. But I had to... I think I like the sound of that mod.

I also found a new addiction to the store and its Daily Deals. It's a sad but true story.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to keep this short!

I also ran into a few initial hiccups that were a bit humorous. One of my characters lost his clothes and was completely naked due to a career outfit bug as I learned from my google-curiosity. He had a nice bottom, though. That fix also cured his invisible friend—er, neighbour.

OH! I also lost the contents of my Save folder due to a save error! Thank god I back things up. As it is, I only lost 3 sim days *sighs* That's one of the reasons I decided to move to windows. It was in a fit of frustration.

One thing I like better about the 1.69 patch (it only goes to 1.67 on mac) is that I can choose what EPs to load at any given time. I think this is a nice feature. I just don't like that I can't turn the store off at all. It doesn't matter that I changed all my setting to offline. I don't use the store in-game and don't like it in-game either. I'll see how it goes. I know I'll eventually start over anyway. Worst-case scenario, I'll just use my discs instead of Origin.

Anyhoo. I just figured I'd share some pics while I wait out the installation and immigration to my new-ish game.

So far (in random order):

I had a stakeout. Though unconvincing in my eyes, it appeared to be a success. Really? No one caught on? (I thought it was cute though)
Screenshot-8-1.jpg

I witnessed a fire. A big one. Loved how the residents reacted
Screenshot-9-1.jpg

I honestly don't know what's going on here. It's disgusting. What's funny about it is right after my fire-fighter put out the fire, this guy (one of mine) interviewed him. I thought it was very fitting, but then he did this *sighs* Seriously, I can't take this guy anywhere
Screenshot-15-1.jpg

I had a picnic with a grumpy sim. He didn't seem to be enjoying himself.
Screenshot-18.jpg

I got into a fight with my evil, mean-spirited sim. I love how he wanted to complain and gossip about that particular sim afterwards
Screenshot-26.jpg

I just love this shot. If anyone's a FFVII fan, they might catch onto why:
Screenshot-27-1.jpg

My one and only farm. The grow station works great with the tractor if anyone wanted to know :)
Screenshot-43.jpg

A little cuddle time. He was quite the hard catch. I love how it's challenging in this game.
Screenshot-56.jpg

I have no idea what they're watching, but it seems riveting!
Screenshot-114.jpg

Last, but not least: I just love the sequence of these shots. There are so many scenarios I could play out with them.
Screenshot-117.jpg
Screenshot-118.jpg
Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Comments

• stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    OMG That is awesome :D
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Glad you are enjoying the game, plus or minus a few frustrations.

Yes, it is annoying to have to switch operating systems by way of Bootcamp -- the things some of us do for our sims. But Parallels? It's a great program, but when you run one OS on top of another that way, both have to share your computer's resources. If your Mac has tons of RAM to work with that part should be okay, but it's not likely that Windows and OS X can share a graphics card to the point where the game can really make us of it properly even if the Mac side isn't doing much while you run the game on Windows. Just wanted to point out that you may be trading one set of issues for another if you intend to play this way. Hope it works out for you, though. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Glad you are enjoying the game, plus or minus a few frustrations.

Yes, it is annoying to have to switch operating systems by way of Bootcamp -- the things some of us do for our sims. But Parallels? It's a great program, but when you run one OS on top of another that way, both have to share your computer's resources. If your Mac has tons of RAM to work with that part should be okay, but it's not likely that Windows and OS X can share a graphics card to the point where the game can really make us of it properly even if the Mac side isn't doing much while you run the game on Windows. Just wanted to point out that you may be trading one set of issues for another if you intend to play this way. Hope it works out for you, though. :)

I'm a sucker for punishment :) I run a Mac Pro with plenty of ram and dedicated graphics memory. I figured I'd try this first. My last resort is my dedicated PC. I'll go that route before I do bootcamp. I simply hate rebooting! I just figured this would work for me in the short term. I'm actually hoping!

I love doing things the hard way first. :) it's how I learn ;)

Though I don't doubt you're knowledge in the least. I really appreciate your input. In the end, you'll wind up telling me, 'I told you so.'

I back up and keep those backups on a active server so I'm not really worried. Worst-case scenario, I'll be bored during my re-installation process. Did I mention I'm stubborn?

I just realized where my son gets it from

*facepalm*
    "I told you so." (just thought I'd get that part out of the way...) :p

I haven't used Parallels for anything much myself since I was on a Mac Mini, playing a game on and off at the time that had fewer graphics requirements than TS2 even. It was more processor intensive than anything but anyway, it just didn't work well that way and I went back to playing it on the Mac side which for that game at the time wasn't really so bad. At least it was a proper Mac product and didn't involve Cider in any way. That was many years ago and obviously on less spiffy hardware than you have now (Parallels itself was v4 or something back then). For other, non-gaming purposes it was great though.

It's good that you have a Plan C or whatever letter you might be up to in mind.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    @kremesch73 your pictures were great! Glad your still having fun. And I love your pink tractor! :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I like the pink tractor too. :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    "I told you so." (just thought I'd get that part out of the way...) :p

I haven't used Parallels for anything much myself since I was on a Mac Mini, playing a game on and off at the time that had fewer graphics requirements than TS2 even. It was more processor intensive than anything but anyway, it just didn't work well that way and I went back to playing it on the Mac side which for that game at the time wasn't really so bad. At least it was a proper Mac product and didn't involve Cider in any way. That was many years ago and obviously on less spiffy hardware than you have now (Parallels itself was v4 or something back then). For other, non-gaming purposes it was great though.

It's good that you have a Plan C or whatever letter you might be up to in mind.

You're awesome. I'll probably end with plan Z. It's almost like you know me. :s

I love it.

Ah. The pink tractor. There's a story behind that. Aerith is a sweet girl. She loves to live off the earth and is very environmentally friendly. But she is a girl, nonetheless. She wants nothing more than to experience what life has to offer her while continuing to keep in touch with the young innocent girl she is. Pink is her favourite colour ;)
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Awesome post @kremesch73 <3 I'm too chicken to try a Mac, lol. I do have a question, though. I noticed your stakeout and was wondering if you are having any problems with the PI career? I thought I had read somewhere that the career is glitched so I've never finished it but I would LOVE to. The way they "hide" cracks me right up :D
    edited May 2016
    StephSteb wrote: »
    Awesome post @kremesch73 <3 I'm too chicken to try a Mac, lol. I do have a question, though. I noticed your stakeout and was wondering if you are having any problems with the PI career? I thought I had read somewhere that the career is glitched so I've never finished it but I would LOVE to. The way they "hide" cracks me right up :D

I'm at level 5. So I don't know. This is something I'm unfamiliar with. I had no idea there was a PI issue. :'( s.

Tell you what. I'll go as far as I can go. I like taking one for the team. I'll keep up with the progress and what I've done. I recall doing it before and having no issues. I'll document it this time.
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I'm at level 5. So I don't know. This is something I'm unfamiliar with. I had no idea there was a PI issue. :'( s.

Tell you what. I'll go as far as I can go. I like taking one for the team. I'll keep up with the progress and what I've done. I recall doing it before and having no issues. I'll document it this time.

Sweet, thank you! <3
    edited May 2016

Sweet, thank you! <3

One thing I can tell you for sure: I've turned down all tasks that require socializing with other sims (other than reporting in). The majority of my sims are anti-social. So I avoid any task that requires them to talk to other sims (or anything regarding socializing like questioning, etc) unless it is to simply report in. But I'll keep you posted if I run into any issues.

My biggest peeve about all sims games is the push to socialize even when it doesn't suit the sim I'm playing. Nothing bugs me more than a task or whim that goes agains the grain of the sim I'm playing. This is an issue with all the games.

Sweet, thank you! <3

One thing I can tell you for sure: I've turned down all tasks that require socializing with other sims (other than reporting in). The majority of my sims are anti-social. So I avoid any task that requires them to tald to other sims unless it is to simply report in. But I'll keep you posted if I run into any issues.

My biggest peeve about all sims games is the push to socialize even when it doesn't suit the sim I'm playing. Nothing bugs me more than a taks or whim that goes agains the grain of the sim I'm playing. This is an issue with all the games.

I agree. I never understood why some of the whims and tasks seem to conflict with traits.

It was a while ago that I read it but I think it has something to do with one of the tasks where you click on the ground to do something but it didn't give you the option. I only made it to level 3 and then I moved a sim out and went with the one that wasn't doing the PI career so I never finished it. I wish I could remember exactly what the issue was, but I do remember I read about it on a sim guide so for all I know, it could be outdated information that was fixed in a patch. I never tried it again after I read it, though so hopefully it works now :)
    edited May 2016

Sweet, thank you! <3

One thing I can tell you for sure: I've turned down all tasks that require socializing with other sims (other than reporting in). The majority of my sims are anti-social. So I avoid any task that requires them to tald to other sims unless it is to simply report in. But I'll keep you posted if I run into any issues.

My biggest peeve about all sims games is the push to socialize even when it doesn't suit the sim I'm playing. Nothing bugs me more than a taks or whim that goes agains the grain of the sim I'm playing. This is an issue with all the games.

I agree. I never understood why some of the whims and tasks seem to conflict with traits.

It was a while ago that I read it but I think it has something to do with one of the tasks where you click on the ground to do something but it didn't give you the option. I only made it to level 3 and then I moved a sim out and went with the one that wasn't doing the PI career so I never finished it. I wish I could remember exactly what the issue was, but I do remember I read about it on a sim guide so for all I know, it could be outdated information that was fixed in a patch. I never tried it again after I read it, though so hopefully it works now :)

I wonder if this runs into the same issue I ran into recently. Last game before I decided to port to Windows, acutally. My sim was instructed to inspect the garbage of a lot that was occupied by a sim that didn't acutally occupy that lot? The object was not selectble to inspect. I simply went into my window with the star. I can't recall what it's called at the moment since I'm not playing. I right-clicked it (or maybe left-clicked) to cancel that opportunity. I removed it entirely and allowed my sim to choose a new opportunity. Would this be along those lines? If so, it's a super easy fix (in-game with no cheats).

Sweet, thank you! <3

I wonder if this runs into the same issue I ran into recently. Last game before I decided to port to Windows, acutally. My sim was instructed to inspect the garbage of a lot that was occupied by a sim that didn't acutally occupy that lot? The object was not selectble to inspect. I simply went into my window with the star. I can't recall what it's called at the moment since I'm not playing. I right-clicked it (or maybe left-clicked) to cancel that opportunity. I removed it entirely and allowed my sim to choose a new opportunity. Would this be along those lines? If so, it's a super easy fix (in-game with no cheats).

Hmm, maybe. I found some threads on the old forums and a newer one here. One specifically mentions the garbage can and the others are about other glitches. I can't find anything more recent than 2014, though.

Stakeout Glitch: solved in thread

Garbage bin thread

June 2014 thread asking if still glitched
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Great pictures! :D

Thanks for the tip about the grow stations and the tractor. I honestly had never thought about that before.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for picture sharing; that last one :D
    I really like how you sort of discovered this game and finally found a way to have fun with it. And I'll add that grow station/tractor tip to my own list of ideas for the future as well, like Chellejo.

As for the Store in game, you can turn that off in Options.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    Yes I forgot to disable Shop Mode in a new install once,and couldn't make out why all these ads for things I already owned kept showing up,highly annoying (both derpy me and the ads :p )

I played a PI for the first time a couple of weeks ago and he topped out his career with no problems so it's definitely not a foregone conclusion there'll be glitches,or it was solved in a previous patch ( I am at 1.69 ).
    "It's better to be over the hill than under it"

Sweet, thank you! <3

Hmm, maybe. I found some threads on the old forums and a newer one here. One specifically mentions the garbage can and the others are about other glitches. I can't find anything more recent than 2014, though.

Garbage bin thread

Those sound like issues related to the opportunities. You can cancel an opportunity at any time in the opportunities panel and role a new one for the detective. It doesn't hurt their progress as I've done it a few times just because I hit the check mark by accident and didn't feel the opportunity suited my sim.

I do it frequently for vacation opportunities too, especially if my sim didn't complete the last one before going home. I wouldn't let those issues stop me from playing the PI. Worst-case scenario: you could always have them quit and try a different job if it bothers you too much.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @kremesch73 your pics look great ! I'm glad to see you enjoying yourself with the game, especially after your earlier struggles with it.
    The pink tractor is cute, but my favourite was the last basketball shot :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Girkl wrote: »
    Yes I forgot to disable Shop Mode in a new install once,and couldn't make out why all these ads for things I already owned kept showing up,highly annoying (both derpy me and the ads :p )

I played a PI for the first time a couple of weeks ago and he topped out his career with no problems so it's definitely not a foregone conclusion there'll be glitches,or it was solved in a previous patch ( I am at 1.69 ).

Oh, good. I'm definitely going to try it then!

Sweet, thank you! <3

Garbage bin thread

Those sound like issues related to the opportunities. You can cancel an opportunity at any time in the opportunities panel and role a new one for the detective. It doesn't hurt their progress as I've done it a few times just because I hit the check mark by accident and didn't feel the opportunity suited my sim.

I do it frequently for vacation opportunities too, especially if my sim didn't complete the last one before going home. I wouldn't let those issues stop me from playing the PI. Worst-case scenario: you could always have them quit and try a different job if it bothers you too much.

True, but since Girkl mentioned she finished it with no problem, I'm definitely going to try it, now.

Thanks for answering my questions <3
  • GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    @StephSteb Good luck! I hope you have fun,personally I enjoyed it and it was fine. Maybe I just got lucky for once! I was playing in Lucky Palms at the time,in case that makes a difference (not sure if maybe certain worlds have issues).
    "It's better to be over the hill than under it"
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Thanks for picture sharing; that last one :D
    I really like how you sort of discovered this game and finally found a way to have fun with it. And I'll add that grow station/tractor tip to my own list of ideas for the future as well, like Chellejo.

As for the Store in game, you can turn that off in Options.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

@JoAnne65 this is what I have in my settings. I'm still getting store content. Are you sure you're running 1.69?
    Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%209.55.41%20PM%20(2).png
    @kremesch73 - Something is odd there. I would check your game folder's Options.ini file in a text editor (Notepad on PC, Text Edit on Mac) to see what it says for enableingamestore. Should be "=0" as you have it off. You should be able to change the ini file if needed in that text editor as well.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited May 2016
    @kremesch73 - Something is odd there. I would check your game folder's Options.ini file in a text editor (Notepad on PC, Text Edit on Mac) to see what it says for enableingamestore. Should be "=0" as you have it off. You should be able to change the ini file if needed in that text editor as well.

Thanks @Igazore I'll try that. I'm going to bed to now. Tired. Will try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    I am running 1.67 by the way, it would be pretty bad if that made a difference... If you want the Store disabled it simply should disable it. Your settings are correct. I hope igazor's suggestion will help.
    5JZ57S6.png