Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In game Legacy Achievment Counter, is it fixed? Has anyone got the 100 generation achievement?

sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
I am trying to get more information on the in game legacy achievement counter. Is it still being picky about certain game styles? @crinrict stated in his game CAS was not a problem. What has your experiences with it been like recently? Has anyone managed to get the 100 generation achievement with the counter actually counting correctly?

Update 1/21/2016: There was one player that I know of who did get the 100 generation achievement.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/833209/legendary-legacy-completed/p1
You can read the experience and advice there that I found to be very helpful.

So far from what I have been able to learn from researching other players experience;

1. Entering CAS through the mirror or manage worlds seems to be safe and WILL NOT RESET the counter, but this needs more testing.
2. Entering full edit CAS WILL RESET the counter. (Needs testing)
3. Moving the legacy family to another lot WILL RESET reset the counter.
4. Generations need to live on the legacy lot or they wont "count".
5. The Sims need to be living on the lot/part of household when they die.
6. Offspring moved out of the legacy lot will no longer be counted and will acquire their own counter since they are a separate household.
7. Adopted offspring DO count.
8. After 26 generations there is no way to track the generations or know if the counter has been reset.
9. It does not matter if aging is on or off.
10. Traveling to or visiting another lot may reset the counter. (Needs testing)
11. How your counter reacts to CAS or other things may change after expansions or patches, so be wary. These guidelines may no longer be effective at some point or hopefully no longer be needed.

I hope this helps. Please add your own experiences and what worked or did not work in your game. Things tend to change and your own game play information might be very helpful to other players.

My conclusion. I am not sure if the counter was ever broken. It may be functioning exactly as it was designed too though I believe it is reset much too easily and that entering CAS in any way should not be able to reset the counter, and that is a real problem. Hopefully that will be fixed someday. Not knowing the limits or restrictions of this in game function certainly made it "seem" broken. It is possible to get the achievements If you follow the guidelines and restrictions the quest and counter demand and don't accidentally reset the counter. I recommend many different saves, mainly before CAS of any kind, or traveling to a lot or vacation. Also checking the counter on a regular basis so you can go back to a previous save if you need too is a good idea.
Post edited by sooozeeebeee on

Comments

• Options
    If this element of the game IS still defective, any information we can gather on it will help in getting it fixed. I'm planning on relaying what I can find to crinrict's bug page, or you can go there directly yourself. I would rather do something constructive and helpful in resolving a problem if I can, than whine and complain about it :smile:
  • Options
    Moved the thread here. Hoping to get some feedback. Anyone?
  • Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/833209/legendary-legacy-completed/p1

Someone has completed the legendary legacy! You can read though the OP's comments to see what they did!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thank you @lalalalanala that was helpful.

So far from what I have been able to learn from researching other players experience;

1. Entering CAS to do anything will reset the counter. (Except by using tip 4)
    2. Moving the legacy family to another lot will reset the counter.
    3. Generations need to live on the legacy lot. (Not sure if they need to die there too?) or they wont "count".
    4. Sims in the legacy family can be safely modified by going through "manage worlds", then edited, without resetting the counter.

I have not verified any of this through my own game play or additional sources. If anyone has more to add please do so. If these tips did or did not work for you that is helpful as well.
    Post edited by sooozeeebeee on
  • Options
    SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    I tried tweeting at Sim Guru Daniel for you @sooozeeebeee - hopefully you can find some answers
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    My counter still resets, and the only thing I do in CAS is change clothes after they age up. Sad that this isn't fixed :(
  • Options
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    My counter still resets, and the only thing I do in CAS is change clothes after they age up. Sad that this isn't fixed :(

@TriX0099 Did you try entering CAS through "manage worlds" and then select edit family? Or did you change their clothes another way? I am hoping that the manage world method works. It would be a bit annoying to edit that way, but it's something I could live with if I had to. Not being able to edit at all seems to be the biggest problem for myself and other players.

@SkyeChimes thank you so much! The closest I come to tweeting is a fairly decent chicken impression. It would be nice to know if the counter is something that is being worked on presently, or will be in the future. It is one of the original game glitches from the base game. No pitchforks and mudslinging, I'm just trying to gather some information to help improve my own personal game enjoyment, and maybe help some others do the same.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    TriX0099 wrote: »

@TriX0099 Did you try entering CAS through "manage worlds" and then select edit family? Or did you change their clothes another way? I am hoping that the manage world method works. It would be a bit annoying to edit that way, but it's something I could live with if I had to. Not being able to edit at all seems to be the biggest problem for myself and other players.

@SkyeChimes thank you so much! The closest I come to tweeting is a fairly decent chicken impression. It would be nice to know if the counter is something that is being worked on presently, or will be in the future. It is one of the original game glitches from the base game. No pitchforks and mudslinging, I'm just trying to gather some information to help improve my own personal game enjoyment, and maybe help some others do the same.

No, I have always made all changes using "change appearance" in a mirror. I could get used to making the changes from "manage worlds" instead, if it really works. I won't be able to test it any time soon though, so I am looking forward to any confirmation here, that it actually works.

I don't have a link, but I remember a thread where the issue was discussed with a guru, who seemed very keen on pinpointing the issue. They initially thought, that the reset only happened if you entered CAS in fulleditmode, but once it was figured out, that it resets any time you enter CAS at all, the thread died. Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but I seem to remember the guru acknowledging what caused the problem, so I didn't think they needed more information in order to fix it. It just needed actually doing :( I don't know if the issue has simply been forgotten, or just keeps getting bumped down on the list of priorities. In any case, I appreciate you listing possible workarounds :)
  • Options
    Sim Guru Daniel actually replied to this topic on the thread @lalalalanala linked and I am hoping to have some info soon.

An additional question is; Does aging need to be on? Or can you leave it off and age up your family with birthday cakes, and when you need room, help the older generation transition to the big Sims game in the sky? That one shouldn't be too hard to find out, I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I finished my build-test, so I decided to do some testing for you. The tracker updates even if aging is off, and the counter does NOT reset after changing appearance in the mirror. I tested by adopting and immediately aging up (using cake) for a few generations. Took them to CAS through the mirror after aging up. Checked the Legacy Player achievement as that one shows progress for current family.

I guess the reason that my game doesn't seem fixed, is that when the children move out, they get new trackers for their households, so only the original 4 households I started with count, and it is possible that the current adults in those households have bugged childhoods, so they never counted, and I won't see an update until one of their children takes over the household (since only the youngest child stays behind, this takes a while with as many households as I have in my rotations currently). This leaves me with the current situation where all households are on gen1 (tracker starts with gen0).
  • Options
    @TriX0099 Did you try the closet or dresser to edit? That would be awesome if editing in CAS is no longer an issue. I wonder if when the initial save game was started had an effect on that bug? Maybe newly started games are no longer effected by editing in CAS? I have noticed that some bugs work that way. At least we know two different methods that seem to be safe for editing, the mirror, and through manage world, edit family. It does stink that moving out sims from the legacy lot breaks the link for the achievement counter, but maybe it gets too complicated for the game to keep track of? I think I may go ahead and start a legacy game! The only really huge problem is that there is no way to track after the first 26 generations just in case something does go wonky. Anyway, think I will jump in and give it a go. I'm a little nervous. I always play with aging off so this going to be hard with life span on short. I'm not going to use cheats either.
  • Options
    Still not sure if rotational play within a save will reset the counter. Has anyone had this happen?
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Okay, prior to starting the ultimate master challenge I didn't pay too much attention to achievements. I did, though, assume that my game was counting my generations and that I would one day get the "Legacy Leader" achievement for my rotation neighborhood. Now, I accidentally culled all the ghosts in that neighborhood, my fault not the mods. So when I saw zero's for everything I thought it was because of that. I dragged an old backup Saves file into my Sims 4 file from before I made the booboo and lo and behold they still say 0! In a household with 3 generations living in it at the time! *sigh* So I went into all of my other saves... and I have a lot. ALL of them say 0. Including my completed 10 gen legacy.

My legacy was never moved off the original lot, had 3 generations living on the lot when I completed it and I rarely if ever used CAS to change their clothes. It was when the game first came out and at the time I really didn't care what they looked like, I just wanted a high score.

What amazes me is that when I discovered that it wasn't counting correctly and started searching on the issue most of the search results are from 2015. @sooozeeebeee 's other thread was the only thing I found from 2016 other than someone asking on a bug thread if it had been fixed.

This leads me to believe that either players aren't paying attention to achievements and, like me, assume that it's working correctly... or everyone has given up on it being fixed. If nobody "makes noise" about something that's broken it will be on the bottom of the guru's to-do list. :/

I suppose, for my challenge, I will have to keep track of the generations manually. I have to do this with family trees as well since so many sims were culled... most being my fault but some were before I modded the game so they wouldn't be culled.

Anyway, this is a very long post, I apologize. When I discovered the zero's and thought it was my fault I almost started crying. Finding that it wasn't my fault made me feel better but still upset. Also, I can't understand how that person completed the Legendary Legacy achievement. I didn't read the thread but wow that must have been a pain!
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 Thank you for your input and sharing your legacy counter experience. I'm so sorry that the counter messed up on you. As far as I know the legacy achievement counter reset has been an ongoing problem since day one. It was probably entering CAS that reset it, but it might also have been rotational play within one save although how would you get the 10 generations in multiple households if you dont? I don't think removing ghosts caused it, but I don't know if the urns or tombstones need to remain on the lot? Haven't thought of that question before. I think if someone does a speed through of the challenge by adopting and aging up with birthday cakes and not bothering with marriage, relationships etc and never enters CAS, that the 100 gen achievement is possible, but that does not appeal to me. It is very frustrating to have a challenge that is almost impossible to achieve. I had a hard time finding anything on this as well when I searched. So far we have more questions than answers and @SimGuruDaniel was unaware that there were any issues. I was hoping to gather more information before presenting my findings, but have not had much response to the issue.
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @sooozeeebeee I mentioned it in the Writer's Lounge and the response I got was unanimous... nobody pays attention to achievements. One didn't even know where to find them. I mentioned it on twitter but didn't get any responses. I really don't know how to attract attention to the issue when there seems so few that really care. If there were more challenges like the one I'm trying to complete perhaps more people would notice.

As I said, in my completed legacy I never changed lots, all of the graves are on the lot, and as far as I know I never used CAS. I definitely didn't know what full edit mode was back then. When I finished there were 3 generations alive on the lot. So you'd think that it would at least count those generations.

The save I actually planned to get the achievements in is my rotation, though. It seems silly that the counter resets if you rotate when there's a 10 gen with 10 families achievement! *sigh* I asked Zerbu on the challenge thread if I can just keep track of the achievement on paper and count it as completed that way. But I'm extremely disappointed. :( I wanted that screenshot of completing the achievements and being able to post them on twitter.
  • Options
    May have a bit of new info on legacy counter. A player said that they placed a generation 9 sim in their library and then placed the sim from the library in a new game and got the 10th generation achievement when that Sim had a baby. Going to try and learn more about this.