Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why didn't the base game come with weather...among other things?

Comments

• ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited May 2016
    MysticOne wrote: »
    ebuchala wrote: »
    They seemed to have run out of time on a lot of things. I think weather probably wasn't a priority compared to other features. I'm sure it will come in an EP in the future.

More animation 'that would bloat their folders', and with that in mind, I think we can plan on more of the same boring games with more screen loading and nothing much more than reused animations there and at home. Why all of sudden with sims4 is there a 'bloat the folders' and financial issue? You have to know all we're being given is reused animation and them hoping we'll let our little minds play 'let's pretend' to fill in what they're too lazy and too cheap to make the game playable again. And now we're gonna get to eat out on the town..... reused animations and a little extra childrens stuff. I tried the owning a bakery and found it to soon get as repetitive as gtw cops, hospital and working in the lab. Nice and safe, no surprises ever and tedious as all get out trying for a promotion.

What's the animations bloating the folders thing? I've never heard of that. And what financial issues are you talking about?

I'm not going to get into an arguement over my comment, but since your on the forums all the time, you should know what I'm talking about, but just for the heck of it I'll post it. From the beginning the gurus per say, said the reason they couldn't make a real bear for the vacation pack was because it would bloat their folders, ok? As for the the cost, it's also been made clear they have a tight budget.

Wow. Someone's got their knickers in a twist. I simply asked you to clarify. I wasn't in the forums when OR came out so missed all that drama. I really have never heard the bloated folders comment. As for the other, I hadn't really heard the gurus talk a lot about how tight their financial budget is though I have heard them talk about the animations and features budgets (as in how many animations or features are budgeted for each pack). Well I appreciate you taking time to answer even if you did it with both guns blazing. :D
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
    They seemed to have run out of time on a lot of things. I think weather probably wasn't a priority compared to other features. I'm sure it will come in an EP in the future.

More animation 'that would bloat their folders', and with that in mind, I think we can plan on more of the same boring games with more screen loading and nothing much more than reused animations there and at home. Why all of sudden with sims4 is there a 'bloat the folders' and financial issue? You have to know all we're being given is reused animation and them hoping we'll let our little minds play 'let's pretend' to fill in what they're too lazy and too cheap to make the game playable again. And now we're gonna get to eat out on the town..... reused animations and a little extra childrens stuff. I tried the owning a bakery and found it to soon get as repetitive as gtw cops, hospital and working in the lab. Nice and safe, no surprises ever and tedious as all get out trying for a promotion.

What's the animations bloating the folders thing? I've never heard of that. And what financial issues are you talking about?

I'm not going to get into an arguement over my comment, but since your on the forums all the time, you should know what I'm talking about, but just for the heck of it I'll post it. From the beginning the gurus per say, said the reason they couldn't make a real bear for the vacation pack was because it would bloat their folders, ok? As for the the cost, it's also been made clear they have a tight budget.

No, they did not say that. There was nothing said about folders or bloating. The explanation came down to how much development resources would be needed out of the total development budget for the pack.

Ah, I had heard that part of it so thanks for the clarification.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    If they added those things, they wouldn't be able to charge extra for them.

Why include and improve upon the past when you can make money off the old, change it up a bit, and call it new for some extra cash?

People may dislike this mentality, but it's proven to work when the same people expressing their concerns are still willing to spend their money on it.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    CAST and Open World.

I Honestly believe that they left out the open world because of the lag everyone experienced,Only Certain people can run the game without lag...Me Including I never really got into sims 3 was because of the lag,Right now i'm just playing sims 2,Since Sims 3 is Laggy an Sims 4 is boring

But that's like saying that Sims 3 sims were boring so they should not add sims in the next game, no.
    Just because it was laggy doesn't mean it's always going to be laggy, they didn't just had the time but they also didn't knew how to do it, I would have preferred them to work more on the game so we would have these missing things.
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2016
    sunman502 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    @CrackFox
    I definitely agree. It's not a luxury to receive this stuff. We all know the team can make these features now. Unlike in TS2 where it had that wow factor.

@alejandro15039 Agreed.
    I believe as the FOURTH iteration the base game should've came with:
    Weather (at least rain, cloudy days)
    Apartments
    Cars
    Restaurant Lots
    Toddlers
    NPCs (like fireman, burglar)
    And of course the pools, ghosts, basic group features and family trees we got in the patches thus far.

The stuff above is my definition of "basic stuff".
    ~
    I don't believe this list is asking too much. I also don't believe they would lose out on money if the base game had these things. If implemented right and with some creative thought, future content would be used to expand on these base game features plus add something entirely new to the game as it progresses.

We need different things to the game. As the fourth generation of the series it's no longer exciting to receive the basics as DLC. For me, it only seemingly feels exciting initially because with this game I have very little to begin with. I am starved for content for this game because the content being added so far is merely basic stuff. "Basic stuff" lacks longevity in gameplay.

Apartments and Weather have never been the base game in past iterations of the Game,So it makes sense they would not have been in the base game,as for Cars,Toddlers,Certain NPC'S and Restaurants,That was most likely due to Time Constraints But I do agree the game gets boring very quickly without the above

Aging and generational gameplay were not in TS1. But it was for TS2 and TS3. Open world and cars were not in the base game for TS1 and TS2. But it was in TS3. What's the point of a sequel if there isn't progression?
    You are obviously confused about the meaning of the word sequel. Sequel means the continuation of a story. Take the movie The Hunger Games for instance. All the Hunger Games movies that was released after the release of the original Hunger Game movie are in fact sequels to the original movie. The Sims has no story line to it. And therefor no Sims iterations that followed Sims 1 are sequels to it.

No, you're the one who is confused. Look up the definition of sequel. The word is not confined to narrative mediums. It can mean the continuation of a story, but it can also mean the continuation of a theme of a predecessor.

There are films that are sequels that have no link whatsoever to their predecessor. Home Alone 3 has none of the original cast of 1 and 2 and does not continue the story of those two films. It instead uses the theme of a child 'home alone' protecting a property from burglars using traps and tricks that was the basis of the first and second film.

The Sims 4 is a sequel to The Sims 3 because it came after it. The word sequel comes from the word sequence: one thing coming after another.
    Post edited by blueturtleotter on
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The game should have also come with news papers. We had them since day 1 ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Oh here we go again,
    I agree with the OP. I think it is disgusting that a 2014 game was released without weather. Most games have it now as standard.

I also think 4 should have come with progressive ageing and an open world - or at least semi-open - that does not crash or lag.

Progress can only be achieved if they make the game for modern systems. The Sims 3 was made to run only on relatively expensive gaming computers and it apparently sold 1.4 million in its first week. So I don't accept the excuse peddled on these boards by other posters that they created The Sims 4 specially to work on low end machines because they knew it would not sell well if need a high end computer to run.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I agree with the OP. I think it is disgusting that a 2014 game was released without weather. Most games have it now as standard.

I also think 4 should have come with progressive ageing and an open world - or at least semi-open - that does not crash or lag.

Progress can only be achieved if they make the game for modern systems. The Sims 3 was made to run only on relatively expensive gaming computers and it apparently sold 1.4 million in its first week. So I don't accept the excuse peddled on these boards by other posters that they created The Sims 4 specially to work on low end machines because they knew it would not sell well if need a high end computer to run.

@blueturtleotter
    There was never weather in a base game 0.0
    edited May 2016
    Finbar659 wrote: »

@blueturtleotter
    There was never weather in a base game 0.0

The Sims 4 was released in 2014 not 2000. Virtually every modern video game now has weather. There is no excuse why The Sims 4 did not come with it. Even 3DS games have weather! Whilst most games out there are being innovative and doing what they can to improve immersion and use modern technology, The Sims 4 ignores it and regresses.

Many of us wanted a modern game - made to modern standards - that improved on what we had before. Weather is now a staple feature of games and not something we should have to pay extra for.
    I paid over $80 for The Sims 4 base game. For that much, weather should have been included.( So should have toddlers, pets and at least 1 supernatural, j.s)
    Over a year later and I still feel like I'm playing a base game. EA is milking this version as much as we will let them. It's sad really.

Let's talk business 101. Every expense a successful business has (materials, payroll and labor, overhead, rent, etc.), EVERY expense gets paid for by the customer in some way. Those "free" products, gifts and gimmees? Paid for by the customer somehow.

Why do people have this strange idea that by including a feature in the base game they can't charge more for it? The fact is, if it's a huge feature like the full weather experience, they would have to add to the price of the base game to cover the expense of making that feature or they would end up increasing the prices of the dlc and banking on the idea that their fans will buy the extra content. It's a pretty simple concept. One way or the other, they have to make back their expenses plus some for profit.

They could maybe manage to squeeze some of those wish list items in without a huge increase but certainly not all of them, especially something like weather.

Note: this isn't specifically directed at you so much as generally at everyone claiming EA can essentially add whatever they want to a base game without charging extra for it.
    edited May 2016
    I paid over $80 for The Sims 4 base game. For that much, weather should have been included.( So should have toddlers, pets and at least 1 supernatural, j.s)
    Over a year later and I still feel like I'm playing a base game. EA is milking this version as much as we will let them. It's sad really.

Let's talk business 101. Every expense a successful business has (materials, payroll and labor, overhead, rent, etc.), EVERY expense gets paid for by the customer in some way. Those "free" products, gifts and gimmees? Paid for by the customer somehow.

Why do people have this strange idea that by including a feature in the base game they can't charge more for it? The fact is, if it's a huge feature like the full weather experience, they would have to add to the price of the base game to cover the expense of making that feature or they would end up increasing the prices of the dlc and banking on the idea that their fans will buy the extra content. It's a pretty simple concept. One way or the other, they have to make back their expenses plus some for profit.

They could maybe manage to squeeze some of those wish list items in without a huge increase but certainly not all of them, especially something like weather.

Note: this isn't specifically directed at you so much as generally at everyone claiming EA can essentially add whatever they want to a base game without charging extra for it.

Business 101. Give your customers as little as you can get away with to maximise your profit. It's a pretty simple concept. If customers are willing to pay the same price but for less, companies will do this for as long as they can get away with it until their customers stop spending and start complaining. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Many of us believe that is what they did with The Sims 4. We do not think that the game was worth the price based on the quality and amount of content it has. The predecessors cost less, yet had more content and depth.

With regards to the OP, pretty much every modern video game has weather, even 3DS games. Stardew Valley a game developed on a tiny budget by one person even has weather. There is no excuse for 4 not having it. Weather has been a staple, ubiquitous feature of games for quite a while now.
  • MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    edited May 2016

Wow. Someone's got their knickers in a twist. I simply asked you to clarify. I wasn't in the forums when OR came out so missed all that drama. I really have never heard the bloated folders comment. As for the other, I hadn't really heard the gurus talk a lot about how tight their financial budget is though I have heard them talk about the animations and features budgets (as in how many animations or features are budgeted for each pack). Well I appreciate you taking time to answer even if you did it with both guns blazing. :D

Maybe that's because you and others insist on bugging ppl in these threads to argue their point. If you are not an EA person, than don't come here trying to justify what you "think" is the reason for what they do. You're like that annoying little brother who thinks he knows everything. Let ppl talk w/o constantly telling them how 'misled' and how perfect you and Ea are. If you don't agree, do to the threads where everything is cheerleader happy. How many times in this thread alone have you interrupted the conversation? Yeah, it gets tiresome. And I think you guys have figured out a way to get threads removed as well. Work ppl up enough and the thread disappears.
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    And this is where it starts getting to the personal level, and the conspiracy starts. Yay...
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Hello everyone!

Just dropping in a friendly reminder that you should not be attacking one another nor telling people that they aren't allowed to share their opinion just because their views do not match your own.

Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims

Business 101. Give your customers as little as you can get away with to maximise your profit. It's a pretty simple concept. If customers are willing to pay the same price but for less, companies will do this for as long as they can get away with it until their customers stop spending and start complaining. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Many of us believe that is what they did with The Sims 4. We do not think that the game was worth the price based on the quality and amount of content it has. The predecessors cost less, yet had more content and depth.

With regards to the OP, pretty much every modern video game has weather, even 3DS games. Stardew Valley a game developed on a tiny budget by one person even has weather. There is no excuse for 4 not having it. Weather has been a staple, ubiquitous feature of games for quite a while now.

Eh, some businesses do that and some businesses don't and we all have the option to not patronize ones that handles theirs in ways we don't like. And, as you said, the more people who complain and don't buy, the more impact they'll have on how long companies like that will continue doing business that way. The downside to that is, as in this case, there are people who don't believe that's what was done with TS4 and were satisfied enough with the game and content to continue purchasing, which means the not spending may never have enough of an impact. But if people keep complaining or critiquing what they don't like, they may at least see some things make a return.

Maybe that's because you and others insist on bugging ppl in these threads to argue their point. If you are not an EA person, than don't come here trying to justify what you "think" is the reason for what they do. You're like that annoying little brother who thinks he knows everything. Let ppl talk w/o constantly telling them how 'misled' and how perfect you and Ea are. If you don't agree, do to the threads where everything is cheerleader happy. How many times in this thread alone have you interrupted the conversation? Yeah, it gets tiresome. And I think you guys have figured out a way to get threads removed as well. Work ppl up enough and the thread disappears.

*pulls MysticOne's pigtails and dips them in ink after placing a frog in their bed*
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    And this is where it starts getting to the personal level, and the conspiracy starts. Yay...

Probably how my last thread "The SIms 4 Base Game should've had..." got deleted.

It's not like I go into the happy play thread and spew how much I hate the game. Or point out how crummy the gameplay is or how sad their attempts to make the game appealing are.

No, I'm a big girl and I make my own threads. If you enjoy the game great. I don't. My threads are my reasonings.
    OTH
    @SimGuruDrake
    Thank you for stopping by. However, I much rather have people attack me for my views than have my views outright deleted by the folks running this place.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    If we get lucky, Seasons will be EP3 or 4 this time around. And, as I said on an earlier thread, we might get super-lucky and get rain and cloudy days in the patch leading up to the EP. Not saying it will happen that way, but Nastina might just be feeling generous this time around...(If you get that reference, you go grab yourself a cookie.)
    I hope so because I really would like to see WC blanketed in heavy fog because it would make WC how would you say it even more mysterious looking. And I would like to see Windenburg covered in snow in winter. And Seasons can do that, since weather and seasons go hand n' hand. :)

• HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    @meeoun wrote: »

Probably how my last thread "The SIms 4 Base Game should've had..." got deleted.

It's not like I go into the happy play thread and spew how much I hate the game. Or point out how crummy the gameplay is or how sad their attempts to make the game appealing are.

No, I'm a big girl and I make my own threads. If you enjoy the game great. I don't. My threads are my reasonings.
    OTH
    @SimGuruDrake
    Thank you for stopping by. However, I much rather have people attack me for my views than have my views outright deleted by the folks running this place.

Er, I wasn't talking you. I was just referring to the fact that the post above mine got way more personal and demeaning than it should have been in the first place.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited May 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I think there is a lot that should be base content by now. One would think that they would supply the standard basics of life as a base and then expand upon them. Their focus during development should be all life stages - and by now I thought we'd have a more fluid aging process. Life skills - like really...still the same skills and babies still learn nothing, child skills count for nothing, etc. Interactions - the way they interact should be heavily influenced by real life and then made witty and humerous with variances depending on traits and personalities. They should have desires, fears, goals, negative traits, these things should guide their lives...what they want to do, who they become, who they get along with, how ambitious they are, etc. I mean...is this a game about miniature people or what? Shouldn't they enhance their AI as tech and research improves?

As for the environment, they should focus on the main things in daily life. Neighborhoods - every neighborhood has certain things, Parks, schools, libraries. Sims need homes - the home is one of the most important parts of the game. At this point in the series life, I would have expected build mode to up the ante. Diagonal stairs, split-levels, quarter walls, round walls, windows that can be placed anywhere, modular designs, etc. Furniture...man, just walk through some furniture stores, match colors. Cars - sims have to get from point a to point b. Pets - fish, cats, dogs all parts of most people's lives. They should be base content. Routing - when people bump into one another, do we move aside and tap our feet for five minutes and bump into one another again so we can foot tap again? Do we walk through one another? Didn't think so. No, we say excuse me and keep going. They could make it funny once in a while by making the sims try to go the same way a few times and then laugh it off.

And then expansions...how easy is this - hey look guys, now the neighborhoods have a main street to connect them. Shops and restaurants all the sims in town can own and visit and introducing a new metro system. Oh, your town expanded...now we need services. Every sims in your town can also work in these careers as maids, delivery drivers, police, firefighters, librarians, plumbers, handymen, doctors, postal workers, etc. You also need a government and laws. Oh no...now that your town has grown so much, crime is becoming more commonplace. From petty thieves to organized crime, what side of the law will your sims be on? Your town has become a city and major sports organizations are looking to open stadiums in your town. Your sims now have access to athletic facilities where sims of all ages...starting at toddler...can take part in classes, workshops, and activities. You can also become a professional athlete. You also need a hospital, which creates even more jobs. Can you rise the ranks and run a successful hospital or will your patients leave worse than when they entered? Now your city has grown, its attracting tourists. Now you can build landmarks to help increase revenue to expand your city. Bonus, you can travel to other cities for visits or move completely. Now that they city has careers that require higher education, a university has opened.

And...on and on...the amount of additions they could make are literally endless.

First off, I love this post.
    I agree we need more intricacy for sims. Very badly. And the environment In which our sims reside is also a big factor for this game; both in town and the natural state of the world itself. These factors should've been set in the BASE game.

Like someone else said in feedback it's very obvious CAS and even Build Mode got the cream of the crop. Though I agree on your desired additions to build mode, I can definitely see the improvements there as is, but of course anything could be better.

I am just dumbfounded why we lost so much of the basics without any wow-your-pants-off additions that we never had in the pre iterations. The Studio must know how pittly-do this game is. Especially if they're putting on their little profiles how long they played this series in all.
    ~~~~~~~
    In my last thread:
    (The Sims 4 Base Game should've had..)
    I saw that someone replied along the lines of, "...You understand how hard it is to make a sims game? To put those features in at once would be too hard..."
    ---I'm sorry I cannot directly reply to you, for my thread was deleted.---
    If there's no struggle there's no progression. I'm from a generation where the slogan of EA use to be "challenge everything". I can only imagine that making a sims game is hard. I know that a lot of people on this team probably busted their tails on what we do have. But in all honesty, what way did this sequel progress from the others? It's not even about weather at this point anymore, why so much gone?!
    How is this The Sims 4 ? Maybe they should've called it something else or something.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)

OTH
    @SimGuruDrake

Hello meeoun,

Friendly reminder that I do not handle thread removal, I handle engagement with the community and making sure that threads stay on track with the OP discussion.

The SimStaff help with moderation @SimStaffBethelle @SimStaffGabriel and @SimStaffJessica

As to your claim that your views were "deleted by the folks running this place" you created two threads on pretty much the same topic: Things you wanted to see in the base game. I can reinstate that topic but it will be merged with this one. In the future please reach out to myself or the SimStaff in PM if you have an issue with something that was done so we can investigate :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    The original Sims 2 base game was suppose to come with weather. It's shown here at E3 2003 with a producer showing off live mode gameplay.
    http://youtu.be/5GJfO1DHT14
    (@6:15)

I can kinda understand why it wasn't included in Sims 3 with its open world and all. But for the Sims 4, given that it's stripped in all with everything else, they could've at least added fx weather (that you could interact with in a later EP.) Would definitely help my immersion a bit in the game with every else barebones in all.

Because Seasons and Weather sell good. That's why they were not included in the Base Game. Another possible reason is they tried to get the base game out in a hurry for the holiday season.