Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why didn't the base game come with weather...among other things?

meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
The original Sims 2 base game was suppose to come with weather. It's shown here at E3 2003 with a producer showing off live mode gameplay.
http://youtu.be/5GJfO1DHT14
(@6:15)

I can kinda understand why it wasn't included in Sims 3 with its open world and all. But for the Sims 4, given that it's stripped in all with everything else, they could've at least added fx weather (that you could interact with in a later EP.) Would definitely help my immersion a bit in the game with every else barebones in all.
meeoun wrote: »
I believe as the FOURTH iteration the base game should've came with:
Weather (at least rain, cloudy days)
Apartments
Cars
Restaurant Lots
Toddlers
NPCs (like fireman, burglar)
And of course the pools, ghosts, basic group features and family trees we got in the patches thus far.

The stuff above is my definition of "basic stuff".
~
I don't believe this list is asking too much. I also don't believe they would lose out on money if the base game had these things. If implemented right and with some creative thought, future content would be used to expand on these base game features plus add something entirely new to the game as it progresses.

We need different things to the game. As the fourth generation of the series it's no longer exciting to receive the basics as DLC. For me, it only seemingly feels exciting initially because with this game I have very little to begin with. I am starved for content for this game because the content being added so far is merely basic stuff. "Basic stuff" lacks longevity in gameplay.

*Edited by SimGuruDrake to add in the OPs post from another thread they started on the same topic*
Post edited by meeoun on

Comments

• Options
    ShunKiyoshi13ShunKiyoshi13 Posts: 45 Member
    It'll likely be in an EP much like Seasons. I agree, the base game is pretty bare as is, and having weather in it would have been wonderful and immersive.
  • Options
    Astro wrote: »
    If they at least added rain that would've been nice.

Right? They have puddles on the streets in front of a lot (in front of the Goths lot) but no rain. Go figure.
  • Options
    ShunKiyoshi13ShunKiyoshi13 Posts: 45 Member
    @Zafireria I think they were attempting multiplayer, because I remember seeing an image with two different colored plumbobs. With your speculation it does make sense.

@meeoun Yeah, I mean weather is a huge part of life. I have always been annoyed that the base game is always sunny. (I myself enjoy rainy weather, and find it easier to set the moods while doing a story.)

Emotions could also have effects from weather. That's a neat idea.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Weather is a complex system, with a lot of coding and animation. (Unless, of course, you want nothing but a few random background FX.) How much more expensive should a basegame be to cover that?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    QDog wrote: »
    I guess it's because...why would they include it as part of the base game when they know (from Ts2 and TS3) that customers are willing to pay money for a separate weather EP?
    Sir Moneybags EA
    Like everything else in this iteration I guess. Cars, Medical and Law Enforcement Career, Restaurants...Makes me sick given everything else we don't have.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    it's a great selling point. They just want money.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    QDog wrote: »
    I guess it's because...why would they include it as part of the base game when they know (from Ts2 and TS3) that customers are willing to pay money for a separate weather EP?
    Sir Moneybags EA
    Like everything else in this iteration I guess. Cars, Medical and Law Enforcement Career, Restaurants...Makes me sick given everything else we don't have.

*ignores the Sims 3 store which costs $7400 in total* But sure, they're totally money grabbing this time with cheaper stuff packs and no store.

And when have proper restaurants and active law enforcement and medical careers been in the base game. Oh! They haven't.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    They're too greedy to allow it but I would've liked weather in the base game too. I doubt they'll add disasters to the seasons EP anyways...
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited May 2016
    It's is a basic element, I think basic weather should have be added, like rain, clouds, moon phases, and temperature, should be patched in.
    Seasons will still be a pack but at least basic weather should be added.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Same reason half the other BG stuff was missing. Sims 4 was botched. LOL
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Because weather is too great to be only a part of another thing. Bring on a full weather EP with lots of different weather and lots of customization ! I want $40 worth of weather, not $5 or $10.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I remember them having trouble with the weather in TS2 - rain going through the roofs- and they're probably having trouble now which happens with new systems that had to be used in a different way then originally created; but more importantly, they'll sell it in an expansion like we're expecting.
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I know they always want to make an expansion out of it, but I wish they would at least make it an earlier EP rather than a later one. With each new generation of the game, we end up having to play for 2-3 years before we get weather. Then because it's such a late EP, we only get a couple of years with weather before we start all over again without any weather.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    it's a great selling point. They just want money.

Well, it's not a charity, right? The design and development and animation costs have to be covered somehow. Most of us don't give away weeks and weeks of our labour for free.

I know. I was just saying, they get good money for it, why add it to the base game.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Rain was removed from Sims 2 base because it was glitched
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    They seemed to have run out of time on a lot of things. I think weather probably wasn't a priority compared to other features. I'm sure it will come in an EP in the future.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I know they always want to make an expansion out of it, but I wish they would at least make it an earlier EP rather than a later one. With each new generation of the game, we end up having to play for 2-3 years before we get weather. Then because it's such a late EP, we only get a couple of years with weather before we start all over again without any weather.

It's such a later expansion because it takes that long to make..
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    Every time I see this trailer I get sad. I Bought the Sims 2 Twice within the same time period thinking I got the wrong game. Even the install screen had Graphics, Hair etc. That the game did not. smh I was 11 so.....Also like another Simmer mentioned. It'd be nice if they got the basic stuff like City living, Dining, shopping, and Weather out of the way. It's a Simulation game. Then build on that, they make it so difficult. In the end we have to wait with uncertain anticipation for God knows how long, for God knows what.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I always wished they would work on Seasons before hand so it would get released quickly, seasons and pets are the first eps I miss the most when playing this game, so I want them as soon as possible. They're never putting this into the basegame even though it should be, it takes a lot of time to make and would bring in a lot of extra money, since it's EA I won't expect anything else.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina