Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Want To Start Playing Sims 2

lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
As the title says I'm hoping to download it and give it another go since I started reading up on it again. I have good memories of the game and it has some great features but it just doesn't hold my interest for very long and I don't know why. Should I look at it in a different way or is there something I can do to get myself hooked from the start. I would like to get some ideas as its a great game and I don't want to give up on it.

Comments

• SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Well, giving us an idea of how you've been playing in the past could give us a little insight as to why you keep losing interest. Not knowing anything about your playing style at present, perhaps this kind of game just isn't your cup of tea. Just like violent games aren't mine (blood and guts type stuff, and military type games like that Mobile Strike thing that keeps getting advertised on T.V.)
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Well, giving us an idea of how you've been playing in the past could give us a little insight as to why you keep losing interest. Not knowing anything about your playing style at present, perhaps this kind of game just isn't your cup of tea. Just like violent games aren't mine (blood and guts type stuff, and military type games like that Mobile Strike thing that keeps getting advertised on T.V.)

I like playing with only one Sim and have them start off with only a small amount of money then have them work up that ladder.
    OK, that's what I'm doing now, and aside from working them up the ladder, I've never allowed them to be poor (I've always used the monetary cheats). I got bored that way, and now I'm playing them poor to start out, and I'm having a lot more fun. If you're used to only playing one Sim, try creating a small family (maybe a mother and son, or a husband and wife, or mother and daughter, or father and daughter/son, etc.) and play them both. It can be challenging keeping up with them that way because you'll be trying to get one Sim to do something, and the other will either start interfering or they'll go off and do something you don't want, and you'll either have to pause the game to stop that Sim for a minute until you can finish what you're trying to get the first Sim to do, or you'll stop the second Sim and finish telling the first Sim to do something, etc. It can make the game a little more challenging. Or, you can family hop. Play one family for a few days, and then take a break by playing a different family. Let the game take you where it goes. There's a lot of things in Sims 2 that I'm still discovering, and I've been playing on and off for YEARS!

As to getting them up the corporate ladder, try making a choice when the chance cards come up, and if it turns out to be a bad choice and they get fired, give them a day, and make them find another job and start them all over.

Hope that helps.
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @lovejess2
    Sounds like you would enjoy playing a Legacy family - where no cheats are allowed (especially dosh! :) ) and you can see them develop.
    Do you have all the expansion packs installed?
    If so and if I were you, I would start with a Fortune Sim (who enjoys topping a career and making money).
    Start them off as a young adult at college - it will give them a boost for gaining skills and entry to a career at a higher level. :)

I throw a dice for choosing an Aspiration for the next generation when they have their teen birthday:-
    1= Pleasure
    2= Family
    3= Romance
    4= Knowledge
    5= Fortune
    6= Popular
    By doing this, you will be less likely to be bored and feel the Sims are all of a sameness - different Lifetime Wants will be generated as well as Wants and Fears.

I have different goals to achieve depending on their Aspiration (as well as fulfilling their Lifetime Want!) e.g. Fortune Sims have to earn $100,000, Top Career, Earn a Big Bonus - marrying a Rich Sim is optional as I think the Sims should marry for love! :)
    @LadysimPlayer8

Who's dosh? I've seen people talk about him/her a couple of times now, but I don't know who that is.
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @SataiDelennn
    Dosh is not a person, it is another word used for money. :)
    I am not sure if it used in the USA - do you use the word wonga?
    @LadysimPlayer8
    Lol, "wonga?" No, sounds like someone using the word, "wonky," lol. Neither word is used in my area, but I can't say for other parts of the country. Different words get used in different areas, sometimes.

So, kind of like, "quid," for a five pound note? Something that's always made me curious, since I have never been able to figure out how someone derived "quid" out of "five pounds." Words really make me curious sometimes.

And then of course, there's the difference between the British meaning for the word, "rubber," and the American meaning. Now that couldn't be more different in the two meanings, lol.