Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disable Animated Gifs in both....

Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
Hi, @SimGuruDrake :)

Can we please have the option in our Settings to disable animated Gifs in both Signatures and posts. They get very annoying in both use and subject matter.

Please and Thank you for checking on it. :cookie:

Comments

• ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    just don't use the signature....
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Thank you for you comment, @ThePoeticPreacher I agree- if we can't have the option to remove Gifs in signatures and posts, lets don't allow their use.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited April 2016
    I thought this idea sounded familiar, and then I remembered that I asked for the same thing a year ago-

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/819059/can-we-get-an-option-to-block-all-animated-pics#latest

It's a shame that this is still an unanswered issue. I still have problems with getting migraines from the gifs that some members like to post in their responses. Having the option in my settings to not see gifs in signatures has helped, but I would have liked this option for posts as well. I've had to put some members on ignore because of how often they use gifs in their posts. It's a shame, but I'd rather have that than the migraine. The browser plug-ins recommended on my thread didn't seem to work for me, or I may have installed them incorrectly. Something simple (like an option in my settings) would be my preference though.

@SimGuruDrake, can anything be done about this, please? I don't want gifs blocked for everyone automatically, I just want the option to do it myself under the settings. That way I can avoid the headache while not spoiling the fun for others.
  • NesoiancitizenNesoiancitizen Posts: 4,344 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Can we please have the option in our Settings to disable animated Gifs in both Signatures and posts. They get very annoying in both use and subject matter.

I'm with you :) ! Some of the GIFs people use in their signatures and posts can be really annoying or distracting, and if there's too many of them all at once it can slow down my browser and sometimes even cause it to freeze and/or crash because it can't handle all the animations. It would be so great to have an option to turn them off.
    JkN3z9U.gif
    Find me at Sims3.com. Username: Nesoiancitizen
    I'm also on Duolingo as carlaquest
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I use the strip images from signatures setting because in the past some of them have been truly annoying. As to their use in posts.......I get the feeling that sometimes people use them to "say" things that they wouldn't get away with if they used their words.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    I ticked the "strip images from signatures" box as well and I don't see any signature pics at all, and definitely no moving ones (.GIF)

For those who really don't care about seeing signatures at all, there is the other tick box for "Hide signatures always".

Hope that helps. It seems as though that's the best they're going to come up with for the time being.
    Yes, I do know about the strip images from signatures- Thanks! :)

I rather not stripe them all, just option to remove the Gifs. :)
    OK I get it. Sorry--- sure there's a way to set this forum to allow users to stop GIFs from playing.. but in light of the previous "solutions"-- sorry-- don't hold your breath.

Personally I don't care for GIFs on any website, especially those used for ads on the sides or top of a page that move or flash, so you almost have to look at them.

To stop this globally I just went into my browsers and un-ticked the "play web animations" and while I can still watch news out-takes, YouTube, movies, etc, --Blissfully, GIFs don't move on any page I visit.

But that's just what works for me. Hopefully Guru Drake will see the tag and address this for you and others who feel the same way.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited May 2016
    I have disabled signatures because of this. People using flashing gif's and enormous images.
    Also, I wonder if we could please have the ability to disable them, or do something with them in the activity feed. Not long ago, some users made posts with a lot of animated gifs in them - the posts were all positioned one after the other, and that caused my browser to lock up and freeze. People are just so inconsiderate, and to make matters worse they keeping bumping their posts all the time.
    I keep reporting, but nothing ever seems to be done about it.

Normally I got to my friends pages to read them, but since there has been the problem with comments or posts not updating, I go to the feed to look now. I don't want to keep having to quit via task manager because people can't be bothered to think how their spam is affecting others.

Edit - Manually having to keep clicking to disable these gifs through ABP is time consuming and annoying. Having an option to just disable animated gifs altogether would be so much more helpful.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited May 2016
    @Pary I've found out that Chrome is sorely lacking and way behind Internet Explorer here..

With this option in I E un-checked, you can keep Signatures on, but not have to suffer through their occasionally obnoxious repetitions.
    (For those who already know and do this, bear with me and skip on by: I post this for those who don't ususlly plum around with their browser settings.)

It is effective on all websites and blissfully zaps all those rotten little GIFs.

In the Internet Explorer menu bar, click on Tools and then Options. In the Internet Options window that opens, click on the Advanced tab, then scroll down about half way and find the option for Play animations in webpages. Uncheck the box next to this option and click the OK button. Close and restart the browser for the setting change to take effect.

Again, Chrome bites in this regard. They supposedly have an "extension" in their "store" but when I went to fetch it, I came up with an error page.

Could be the Adsters don't want people paralyzing their GIFS and Google may have been bought off. (today's little conspiracy dose for those so-inclined!!)

As to Firefox, can't say.. I have it but almost never use it.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't use IE or Chrome, only Firefox, but thanks for the tips :)
    I just believe that people could be a little more courteous in their use of massive pictures and flashing gifs.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited May 2016
    Pary wrote: »
    I don't use IE or Chrome, only Firefox, but thanks for the tips :)
    I just believe that people could be a little more courteous in their use of massive pictures and flashing gifs.

About courtesy and reining in one's use of GIFs, especially the loud and flashy ones-- I agree with you very much. But in the mean time, in case you haven't tried it, Firefox has an easily installed add-on that with the use of "CTRL + M" one can freeze those annoying little buggers.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/toggle-animated-gifs/

EDIT : As I said way above I have Firefox.. I just seldom use it although it's a nice looking browser.. I just installed it and tried the "CTRL + M" out. Works fabulous!

Freezes those benighted distractions in their tracks, and unlike Internet Explorer's "Play Animations in Webpages" tick-box, - Mozilla's add on is a free-running toggle. No need to get into the nuts and bolts of the thing. : If for some reason you wanna see cats dance around forwards and backwards --you hit the combo again and voila, to life they come.

So out of the three official browsers (I won't get into # 4 except, well, it rhymes with "4" and it's useful for an I T girl like me who's curious about the Dark Side of the Force and occasionally I leave my scruples at home)

"Bahaha haaa haa ha"

As I was saying-- Out of the three, Firefox' answer to GIFs is the best.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thank you for you comment, @ThePoeticPreacher I agree- if we can't have the option to remove Gifs in signatures and posts, lets don't allow their use.

I agree that the more options the better forum experience, however, I find it already unfair to implement features and then take it away. While some do not care for signatures and/or animated GIFs, for me, it's another way of expression even if I'm the only one who can see it, that's fine. If EA takes away GIFs, then they might as well take away signatures, custom avatars, images/URLs and take away the insightful, like and awesome buttons too. Then what's there left to not like? Well, I suppose now it would be just boring for some since now no one could further express their individuality excluding words.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited May 2016
    @Deshong04 wrote: »

I agree that the more options the better forum experience, however, I find it already unfair to implement features and then take it away. While some do not care for signatures and/or animated GIFs, for me, it's another way of expression even if I'm the only one who can see it, that's fine. If EA takes away GIFs, then they might as well take away signatures, custom avatars, images/URLs and take away the insightful, like and awesome buttons too. Then what's there left to not like? Well, I suppose now it would be just boring for some since now no one could further express their individuality excluding words.

If you couldn't tell, I was being glib to the first reply which I felt was glib first. :)