Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can babies be detached from their crib???

So I'm just wondering can the sims team at any point detach babies from their cribs? I've been hearing a lot of people talking about this and wanted to know if it was even a possibility.

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    It's possible, they would just have to make the baby independent from the crib, which is harder than it sounds.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I have a mod that allows them to be detached from the crib, so I don't understand how a modder can do it but a dev can't, but that's just me.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    SimGuruMax wrote: »
    I can say somewhat unequivocally that it is technically feasible to make babies "real" again, as you describe it. As for prioritization, that is really up to our production team. Babies not being tied to the crib is going to be a sticking-point, though. That decision was made for many reasons, not just time-constraints. We felt dissatisfied with babies in TS3 and were looking for ways to get more good things without having all the crazy complexity. One of the most complicated aspects of babies is that Sims could carry them around - babies aren't just another carryable: they cannot be holstered (Sims can magically disappear items in their hands temporarily to play animations that need the hand) due to believability issues and there end up being a huge number of weird rules about them not being able to be placed in different locations, etc, etc, etc. Carryable babies were such a huge headache on TS3 and we had to ask the question "Is it worth it?" I know everyone wants perfect, realistic babies, but the reality of making games is you often have to make choices because you are working with constraints on all sides. Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. Ultimately, we thought we would rather spend our time making the actual baby interactions fun and interesting and have more time for people like me to spend devoted to our new socialization system and multitasking - it would have occupied my time entirely for many months to build carryable babies. Keep in mind that everything is effectively zero-sum; adding complexity in one place necessitates reducing complexity in another as we don't have infinite resources.

One thing about babies I am displeased with is the fact that your Sims put them back down in-between actions. We have tech to solve this problem and somehow it just didn't end up happening. I would very much hope that we address that problem in the not-too-distant-future.

:*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2016

Sims are able to hold objects and multi task. Babies are a special case because they are always put back in the bassinet -- technically, the Sim is not carrying them (because they don't route away while holding them), just interacting with them.

Anyway there is a mod to detach babies so to speak but it turns them into MOO objects, so you will need to download a crib.
    The mod: http://www.simsstudio.ru/2015/04/baby-and-crib.html

Some cribs: http://sims4updates.net/tag/crib/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    I hope they can do this. :(
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It's possible, they would just have to make the baby independent from the crib, which is harder than it sounds.

'Hard' seems to be a word I see frequent these forums... I don't understand how things that have been done before, I might add, are too 'hard' now...?

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

Yeah, I was thinking the same. That kind of defense isn't a reasonable justification whatsoever.

It's harder than it sounds, yet it was done in 2005. Strange, that 2005 game has NEVER EVER been advertised as a "solid foundation" with loads of potential. Guess they meant something else, perhaps a clean slate for you to drop another 500 on something you've received before, up to 3 times previously? I'm letting my mind wander off! :grimace:

Oh please, let it wander!! I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts.

*nods in agreement*

I'm baffled by the fact that they have all these limitations. Wouldn't it make sense to carry on what was working and then improve on that? For example, for me, TS3 should've basically been the TS2, but with TS3 graphics, open world, CASt, etc, etc... It's pretty simple, IMO.

I don't like that they're silent about everything and I'm sorry, but teaser or not a 14 second video is basically taking the biscuit. I actually laughed when I saw it because I didn't think they could sink any lower. Then they stickie a thread about Toddlers (which is good, don't get me wrong, some of the ideas in there are freaking awesome) but we still don't know if they're even being worked on or if those ideas are even Going to be implemented, talk about twisting the knife. There's nothing to look forward to any more. It's all silence and padlocks and excuses.

Idk, everything about this is just screaming at my alarm bells and I'm starting to ramble... *wanders off*

--T
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

'Hard' seems to be a word I see frequent these forums... I don't understand how things that have been done before, I might add, are too 'hard' now...?

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T
    I do agree and see it as an excuse when you can reference other versions. I can see if this was the first version, but it is not and in this day and time when technology allows a lot that can be done. Even though I do not play with babies it is mundane to have the child tied to the crib.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

It was achievable in the last two games without the developers (and ultra defensive fans) constantly telling us how difficult the process is.

OP I don't see it happening. This classifies as something that was confirmed to be fixable, yet hasn't been messed with at all.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @2To7m wrote: »

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

Yeah, I was thinking the same. That kind of defense isn't a reasonable justification whatsoever.

It's harder than it sounds, yet it was done in 2005. Strange, that 2005 game has NEVER EVER been advertised as a "solid foundation" with loads of potential. Guess they meant something else, perhaps a clean slate for you to drop another 500 on something you've received before, up to 3 times previously? I'm letting my mind wander off! :grimace:
    @To7m wrote: »

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

*nods in agreement*

I'm baffled by the fact that they have all these limitations. Wouldn't it make sense to carry on what was working and then improve on that? For example, for me, TS3 should've basically been the TS2, but with TS3 graphics, open world, CASt, etc, etc... It's pretty simple, IMO.

I don't like that they're silent about everything and I'm sorry, but teaser or not a 14 second video is basically taking the biscuit. I actually laughed when I saw it because I didn't think they could sink any lower. Then they stickie a thread about Toddlers (which is good, don't get me wrong, some of the ideas in there are freaking awesome) but we still don't know if they're even being worked on or if those ideas are even Going to be implemented, talk about twisting the knife. There's nothing to look forward to any more. It's all silence and padlocks and excuses.

Idk, everything about this is just screaming at my alarm bells and I'm starting to ramble... *wanders off*

--T

It was achievable in the last two games without the developers (and ultra defensive fans) constantly telling us how difficult the process is.

OP I don't see it happening. This classifies as something that was confirmed to be fixable, yet hasn't been messed with at all.

I didn't think I would have to spell it out, but it seems I have too. Should I be surprised?
    Babies would have to be made from the ground up again, and the babies we would have now would cease to exist. Because these babies are programmed different and have no programming to be independent from the crib.

While it's entirely do-able, it's not as simple as removing the baby from the crib. It would mean remaking babies.
    Not that it's "too hard" for them to possibly do. I swear people don't even read my posts properly, before going in for the attack.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Sims are able to hold objects and multi task. Babies are a special case because they are always put back in the bassinet -- technically, the Sim is not carrying them (because they don't route away while holding them), just interacting with them.

Anyway there is a mod to detach babies so to speak but it turns them into MOO objects, so you will need to download a crib.

Just to clarify. That mod isn't detaching the baby, just making the bassinet invisible.

This would be a lot of work for the team, but of course it can be done. Will it? Doubtful. This team likes to press the easy button. If there is anything even remotely complicated, they will avoid it altogether.

Can we get some real simulation programmers on this team? I'll settle for just one to teach the others how to think and design properly.
  • Options
    spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    Excuses will be the death of this game.

How many do we need to hear, honestly?
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

*nods in agreement*

--T

I didn't think I would have to spell it out, but it seems I have too. Should I be surprised?
    Babies would have to be made from the ground up again, and the babies we would have now would cease to exist. Because these babies are programmed different and have no programming to be independent from the crib.

While it's entirely do-able, it's not as simple as removing the baby from the crib. It would mean remaking babies.
    Not that it's "too hard" for them to possibly do. I swear people don't even read my posts properly, before going in for the attack.

Excuses... That's all I hear. If they had done it properly it wouldn't have to be made "from the ground up", as you say.

You know, I'm no animator or whatever but simply allowing the babies we have to be movable with a few extra actions doesn't seem all that hard to me. Time consuming, maybe, but not hard.

--T
  • Options

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

*nods in agreement*

--T

What exactly did you spell out for us?

Removing the baby from the bassinet is essentially an animators job. There needs to be some under the hood improvements too, but the missing components are all animation for the most part. They wouldn't need to redo the entire thing, unless they were to deliver us a baby that doesn't look like a low quality piece of furniture.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited April 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Just to clarify. That mod isn't detaching the baby, just making the bassinet invisible.

This would be a lot of work for the team, but of course it can be done. Will it? Doubtful. This team likes to press the easy button. If there is anything even remotely complicated, they will avoid it altogether.

Can we get some real simulation programmers on this team? I'll settle for just one to teach the others how to think and design properly.

Yes, let's spend thousands of dollars so your sims can take your baby out of the crib and place it in the grass outside.

If you bothered to read any of the above comments. You would've seen that the gurus said it was possible, but it would be a massive headache that wouldn't be worth the output. Game developing isn't do what you want willy nilly. They have budgets and schedules. They have to weigh the resources and time against the outcome. And if the effort outweighs the outcome, I doubt they would do it.

But you like to press the easy button and call the devs lazy and insult them. And any logical statement whatsoever made by them, you will ignore it altogether.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

*nods in agreement*

--T

LOL

It's not that it's hard to separate them from the crib, that is the easy part. They have the model, they have the skeleton they don't have to redo them entirely, they just need to kiss goodbye to the crib coding. The hard part is making sims pick them up and making sims know that they can't put them here and there.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

True, it is making them into an invisible footprint kind of like how bunkbed CCs work. They feel like MOO objects with it. It's how I've been coping with the baby situation. It's not a fix though.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited April 2016
    Guys they said the Sims 4 engine is new tech designed for the Sims 4, the other games used preexisting tech for their engines. The modding script is alot friendlier than the base game engine script. Also they mentioned quality, that coders and developers are held to a higher standard than Modder.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Guys they said the Sims 4 engine is new tech designed for the Sims 4, the other games used preexisting tech for their engines. The modding script is alot friendlier than the base game engine script. Also they mentioned quality, that coders and developers are held to a higher standard than Modder.

One would hope that professionals are held to a higher standard.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »

What kind of industry doesn't expect more from their paid employees? Literally these people are paid to create this game, the fact we have CC creators that create content that is of equal or better quality says they aren't holding their employees to a high enough standard.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2016

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

I don't buy it. Sorry.

--T

*nods in agreement*

--T

Quit being an apologist for EA, and making like you know more than the forum. The fact still stands; it was done in 2005 in the BASE game, babies weren't objects, their faces and eyes were WAY more natural and Sim-like, and they had many more interactions and interactivity with other Sims and objects.

Let's call an apple an apple. Babies, and life stages themselves other than YA, were just another one of many features the Sims Studio did not do justice in The Sims 4, due to speculated constraints and too much focus on the wrong content.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited April 2016
    colbert-popcorn.gif
    body is 5 characters too short
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    What kind of industry doesn't expect more from their paid employees? Literally these people are paid to create this game, the fact we have CC creators that create content that is of equal or better quality says they aren't holding their employees to a high enough standard.

1. With CC you're creating the feature that YOU want, not something that you have to make for a schedule. For example your schedule says "multitasking is resulting in too many musical chairs - change it, teens need extra coding to include these interactions for our upcoming expansion pack and mac client breaks after 2001 mods". Nowhere in your schedule babies are at. For you to work on babies, it has to be on a schedule and every single action has to be dictated from above for various different reasons of what legally they can or can not do. You're not under such constraints as a modder.
    2. You're not under a time constraint as a modder. You can take 2 years to improve babies. Not a single company would position you for two years on a single task. That is employer waster.
    3. You can spaghetti code as a modder. It doesn't matter much because it's one function that people optionally install and you don't have to work with others. If you try any unprofessional code practices and your team members had trouble because of it, you would be fired. John can not make the job more difficult for Ted if both of them are working with the same segment of code.
    4. Mods do often lack interactions, animations and quality of an EA made product.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited April 2016
    Quit being an apologist for EA, and making like you know more than the forum. The fact still stands; it was done in 2005 in the BASE game, babies weren't objects, their faces and eyes were WAY more natural and Sim-like, and they had many more interactions and interactivity with other Sims and objects.

Let's call an apple an apple. Babies, and life stages themselves other than YA, were just another one of many features the Sims Studio did not do justice in The Sims 4, due to speculated constraints and too much focus on the wrong content.

babies were always objects. Like plates. They did not learn how to hold heads, they did not grow up gradually, they did not have teething problems. In fact there were LESS interactions overall with a baby in The Sims 2. Except unlike platesthey had to write a lot of exception code to make sure that your sim does not put your baby on a table, or on a cupboard, or tried to wash him in the dishwasher. However they were not any more or less object like than what we have right now. The difference is more interactions + being restricted to a crib OR less interactions and no crib restrictions (instead you can leave your crying baby on the floor! Such a feature!).