Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 (Graphics and computer performance)

2...Next

Comments

• SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    @ceejay402
    Okay so that's good!

On catalyst control center I have now set vertical refresh to always on.
    I do have latest drivers, but no crimson control :( I'm not sure why though?
    Oh also I did have the GPU reading already, I just didn't find it! My bad sorry!

ALSO (Yesterday later): recently I tried playing out of laptop mode and my CPU hit 100%, I'm quite sure it shouldn't be doing this...
    The CPU also hit 100% while browsing the Sims resource at one point if I remember correctly...
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I like AMD and Nvidia but I find Nvidia the easiest to set up. However once you get AMD set up it is easy sailing.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    Open up task manager and check what is consuming the cpu.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    @bob007 I don't think there's anything in particular.

PROCESSES:
    GWX.exe
    IAStorIcon.exe
    iusb3mon.exe
    MOM.exe
    (steam)
    (origin)
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    check to see what percentage of cpu each is using.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    Has this been resolved yet?

Summary: Black screen with system running is guaranteed to be an overheating issue however incompatible driver is also a possibility. Visit the video card manufacturer's website and install the latest, then monitor and log your CPU and GPU temps while the game is running so you can retrieve the log after the system halts. Hardware monitoring applications such as "SpeedFan" will write to a text file at a specified interval but you can use any available. Be sure to monitor the components which are in use (if your CPU is quad core then you'll see 4 entries for CPU, and if your video card has dual-GPU, You'll see 2 GPUs however the sims will only utilize one GPU)

Clean system fully and ensure that all intakes and heat sinks are free of obstructions.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2016
    @ceejay402
    Okay so that's good!

On catalyst control center I have now set vertical refresh to always on.
    I do have latest drivers, but no crimson control :( I'm not sure why though?
    Oh also I did have the GPU reading already, I just didn't find it! My bad sorry!

ALSO (Yesterday later): recently I tried playing out of laptop mode and my CPU hit 100%, I'm quite sure it shouldn't be doing this...
    The CPU also hit 100% while browsing the Sims resource at one point if I remember correctly...

ok so its strange that you dont have crimson panel but still have Catalyst. i would reinstall drivers yet again to fix this.

use a program to remove drivers http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html then install new drivers

and just in case you use MS to check for updates you want to go directly to amd for new drivers see http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64 -install crimson fix.

once you get the new drivers installed do rerun dxdiag and confirm drivers are updated or post here so we can confirm update.

its possible the strange CPU behavior is connected so fix this first but i also wonder if there is something else also on this front, like malware. so as bob stated when you open task manager go ahead and close out all non vital programs but the desktop (not to worry vital programs wont allow you to turn off) to see if you can get a better gauge of CPU usage. also reboot computer after uninstalling, installing and before closing out programs in task manager its also possible a small app is just hogging resources rebooting, flushing ram, will fix this.

oh i should also confirm in case malware is at play that your OS is fully up to date
  • WaterHornetWaterHornet Posts: 352 Member
    Lot's of good ideas here. Clean your computer, make sure ALL your drivers are up to date, and ensure you have a good power supply and/or enough maximum wattage for the CPU and the GPU. AMD GPUs need more overhead than nVidia so check the specs of your power supply against what the recommended wattage for your specific model graphics card. However, I noticed your CPU was hitting 70C. That's usually WAY above the limit set by the motherboard to trigger an overheat shutdown. 62C is the standard temp for an overheat warning, and 65C is the standard for a total system shutdown. Most computers won't actually shut down the power; all the functions/processes are immediately terminated but the computer stays "on" in order to keep the fans running to cool down the overheating component before it gets fried. You can check your overheat warning/shutdown settings in your BIOS. Don't mess around with them though as you can easily destroy your system by applying incorrect settings.
    A 100% CPU load is normal when large applications like games are running. Data is constantly coming into the CPU for processing and being routed where it needs to go. If your using the "stock cooler" that came with the CPU then you'll want to look into a better cooling block for the CPU. The cheap ones can be excellent. I have a $25 tower-style cooler that keeps my CPU nice a cool even when under extreme loads. It only gets above 50C when the house is warm (and sometimes I'm too cheap to turn on the AC in the summer when it's not oppressively hot), but otherwise stays around 42C-45C. When installing a new cooling block run your PC for about a half hour under 100% CPU load to loosen the thermal paste. Shut down the PC, unplug it, and let the tower stand for a few minutes because the heat sink will be extremely hot. Once it's cooled enough to handle safely ground yourself before sticking your hands inside the tower. Unhook the fasteners and wiggle the heat sink back and forth GENTLY to break the seal the paste creates between the CPU and heat sink. NEVER, EVER, EVER pull a heat sink directly up and off the CPU; you could rip your processor out of it's socket and if that doesn't destroy your motherboard and CPU, the CPU inevitably falling off the heat sink will lead to busted circuits and bent pins. And, obviously, seek professional assistance if you run into anything that you feel uncomfortable doing. It's cheaper to bring the PC to someone than it is to be forced into buying a whole new computer.