Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New save as a fix for the time bug?

I know that based on my extensive search on google and the answers forum, there doesn't seem to be a fix for the problem where the sims randomly freeze, but time keeps moving.

But I've noticed that brand new save files don't seem to have this problem. So, I was wondering what the most effective way of moving my legacy family to a new save file would be so that I don't have to deal with this problem. It's pretty game breaking, in my opinion.

I have a few moodlet resolver potions and spare parts in one of their inventories, so I don't want to lose that. I know I'll probably end up losing the relationships to the spares that are out in the neighborhood though. But, I don't want to lose more than I need to. Especially since I know this means I'm going to lose all of the achievement progress I have in this save.

I don't have very much CC, but I had absolutely NONE when it started. It's been a problem since I first bought the game, and I didn't get any custom content until this last week when I made it myself. The game ran smoothly until about generation four.
Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.
My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member
    Hello
    When you save your sins to your library and place them in a new game, they will lose any relationships that your sims have with sims not in their household, and will lose their inventory, achievements and collections progress. They will retain though their skills,aspirations, reward traits and their careers.
    You can save their homes to the library and then place the homes in the new game as well. Place in the home any items from their inventories that you would like the sims to keep, or you can make a room and put the items in the room and save the room to your library. Then place the room into the home in your new save game.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Does your game unfreeze after a while and time jumps back after that or are the Sims simply not moving anymore while everything else still goes on ?

Do you have any teen in your family ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    I'm surprised that you haven't received a long list of responses within the first minute...

Consider that the problem has nothing to do with your content and once the error has been written into your save data, the problem remains persistent despite the fact that it is randomly triggered. Removal of mods and repairing won't restore your data to an error-less state, and resetting your data won't prevent the problem from occurring again. This is why I suggest entirely exiting your game without saving whenever this occurs since resetting your sims will not correct your household data which contains every detail regarding the interactive state of all objects, including your sims. If there is a possibility that your neighborhood or household data has already been corrupted then you should create a new file, however, restarting your neighborhood can be a huge setback if your story is focused on relationships and career progress. You will also find that gallery maintenance is intolerably tedious and that you must track every version to ensure that no data is lost if there is ever a reason to roll back to anything older than the current build (patch version).

Prediction and avoidance of failures is the best solution.
    Hello
    Before starting a new save game, there are a few things to do that may help the issue :

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" and "ReticulatedSplinesView" files and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated files/ folders with the old files/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Removing some of the items from the inventories may help to prevent the issues occurring.

Lowering your graphics settings may help.

Some things that can help when the issue occurs are:
    Pressing the game options button and then cancelling the options pop up.

Going to buy mode and back or switching from one tab to another can sometimes help.

Having your sims travel to another lot can help.

Pressing pause a few times when it happens .

If sims are doing homework or playing chess, that has caused the issue in some games, so cancelling those interactions if the game freezes may help.

Simmers have also found that cancelling sims's tasks in their queue has helped.
  • MeadowThayerrMeadowThayerr Posts: 239 Member
    I've pretty much tried all of these in the past, it doesn't correct the issue. I know it's a very common issue across all players, so I'm unsure why Maxis hasn't patched it.

A new save is pretty much the best way to do it from what I've seen but it's just a tedious process that I don't like repeating frequently.

The game jumps back to where it was before if I leave it running, usually if I pause it when I notice the freeze, the time will jump back and after about 30 seconds or so, the action is finished and the sim unfreezes.

My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    I've pretty much tried all of these in the past, it doesn't correct the issue. I know it's a very common issue across all players, so I'm unsure why Maxis hasn't patched it.

A new save is pretty much the best way to do it from what I've seen but it's just a tedious process that I don't like repeating frequently.

The game jumps back to where it was before if I leave it running, usually if I pause it when I notice the freeze, the time will jump back and after about 30 seconds or so, the action is finished and the sim unfreezes.

My sims have lived since the base version in one file with their large family which fills multiple neighborhoods and, even with fully custom neighborhoods and all expansions which have run for hundreds of hours, I've never had to create a new file. Just exit without saving when the problem occurs or rollback if you've saved during troubleshooting, or before realizing that the problem existed.
    It's unfortunately too late for that in this save, but I will try that in a new save when I make a new family I guess. I'm luckily almost done with this legacy.
    Since the legacy that was initially having this problem is complete, I created a new legacy and within the first week this time bug and action hang up has begun occurring again. I tried the whole exit without saving when the bug appears and it didn't help. This is such a game breaking bug, why won't EA/Maxis/Origin fix it?!
    Hello
    I am sorry that you are continuing to have these issues.
    You may need to keep doing these things when the issue occurs :
    Pressing the game options button and then cancelling the options pop up.
    Going to buy mode and back or switching from one tab to another.
    Pressing the M key
    Pressing pause a few times when it happens .
    Cancelling chess or homework interactions because they can be the cause of game freezes.
    Cancelling sims's tasks in their queue.
    Pausing the game is what gets the thing to catch up, but it's still quite annoying to have to pause it if their action freezes. I've actually never had it happened to a sim playing chess or doing their homework. The game itself isn't freezing, the characters are freezing but time keeps moving, once the game has been paused for a while, it usually catches up but sometimes it can take up to 5 minutes in real life time.