Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Affordable Family Housing Challenge!

Comments

• Options
    CountryCutie516CountryCutie516 Posts: 49 Member
    These are some very nice homes
  • Options
    withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    Thank you for checking them out and taking time to comment, @rosemow!
  • Options
    Here is a 5 bedroom Mediterranean style home for 40K simoleons that fits well into Oasis Springs. I'm pretty happy I could include some nice landscaping like the fountain and fence, multiple balconies, and still afford a computer and all of the beds and toddler necessities.

Gallery link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/E442EA2D1BBD11E78AF166AA568FC1CB

Slideshow: http://imgur.com/a/PtnvJ

WrBLVSB.png
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    The exterior design of the Mediterranean home looks so very nice! @withlovejulien :) The tower and roof decor iten looks great! The balcony windows are a nice touch in the build. The flowers, trees and water fountain feature in the front garden look very pretty! Nice texture of the exterior walls which suits the home being in Oasis Springs. The pegs look great on the wall. Very nice layout of the interior of the home! It is nice that there are 5 bedrooms in the home! Nice study room for sims to enjoy sitting at the desk table usung the computer or reading a book. The fireplace will keep the room warm. The orange and brown colour scheme of the dining area looks nice. The wall picture goes well with the colour scheme. The wall tiling in the kitchen looks nice. It is a very nice picture that you have taken of the full moon through the kitchen windows! Very nice living room area for sims to enioy sitting resting on the seats there chatting and listening to the radio music, whilst enjoying the sunshine coming in through the windows. Each of the bedrooms look nice.
    It is a very nice home! :)
  • Options
    NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    @withlovejulien Wow, it's a beautiful Mediterranean home!

It's a style I am really unfamiliar with myself, but I love the look of it! The roofing is really well done, and I love that little bell tower too. The windows you have chosen really fits this building, and the balconies are a great touch! The exterior is stunning, and so is the landscaping :heart:

It's a good size home for a family to grow in :smile: There are plenty of bedrooms, so room for a big family! Must be great to have an easel up in the tower, as you have a wonderful view to paint!

OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • Options
    Thank you, @rosemow! I appreciate that you took the time to look at it. Your comments are very thoughtful and I especially appreciate them as a new builder! I had no idea how much thought the Devs put into the exteriors of the game until I started taking screen shots. I just discovered tonight that they have a seaplane that lands off the coast of the island in Windenburg. And a lot of unfortunate sailing accidents! ;)

@Laebeth, thank you for your kind words! Especially since I had to do a bit of research for this style! It's a stretch for me--definitely outside the comfort zone. I can't take much credit for exterior! I had images as inspiration! :) Such lovely feedback. It's especially nice for a new person who is still figuring things out! Thank you!

• Options
    This one is a farmhouse style home I made for one of my Sim families who multiply like rabbits and had to move out of their starter home. That must be why they can only afford $40K houses--not enough time to work! :) There are five bedrooms. One master bedroom with attached bath and four children's rooms, including the toddler! The inside is sparsely decorated but it has a lot of amenities that might make up for it like a fireplace, computer, pool, radio, TV, three full baths, bookshelves, and patio.

Gallery link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/D66CF11C1D4911E78C3966AA568FC1CB

Slide show: http://imgur.com/a/UaBWG

6mO410T.png

RTrxraT.png

BhkEy4w.png

av3HKTR.png

x5oMthI.png

Yf0VGV7.png (You can see why they needed so many bedrooms!)

• Options
    NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    @withlovejulien I'm fairly new to building myself, so I know what you mean :smile:

Using images as inspiration doesn't mean you are not a good builder! If you ever stumble upon my showcase, or look at some other showcases around, you will find a lot of people do that, myself included. Almost all of my builds so far are copies of house plans :smile:

As a new builder I find it helps to have a reference, because I'm not an architect :tongue: After doing a few builds based on house plans, I could manage to complete a build just based on single images, so I'd get inspiration but I could also use some freehand. Now I am better and able to do more and more freehand builds. Images still help though! But now I might take one idea from one build, and another idea from another build.

I hope you have lots of fun building, and I look forward to seeing more of your builds shared!
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • Options
    5 Bed 40K Farmhouse & Pool is a very nice farmhouse home! @withlovejulien :) Very nice exterior design of the home! The open shutter flower box windows are very nice touches in the build. Very nice roof covered wraparound porch! The flowers and plants look so very pretty on the edges of the porch! It looks great that the front steps are on an angle. Very nice back patio. Sims will enjoy dining at the umbrella covered table there in the outdoors air. Very nice pool area. It is nice that there are chairs at the edge of the pool for sims to enjoy sitting resting there watching the rest of the family or friends having fun swimming in the pool. The lights are a nice touch on the side of the pool, for sims to spend time outdoors at night . Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The layout looks very nice. The floral wall panelling looks very homely and pretty! Very nice sofa fireplace sitting area! Sims will enjoy sitting resting there in front of the fire chatting, watching tv and listening to the radio,l Very mice windows study desk nook! Sins will enjoy using the computer there sunshine coming in , or enjoy reading a book from the bookshelf. The pink lamps, pink colour of the seating and the pink patterned floor rug all complement each other well, Very nice dining area, The yellow flowers wall picture is sunny for sims to see whilst enjoying eating a meal at the dining table, and the flowers on the table are a pretty touch. The pink gingham wall patten and the floor tiling in the kitchen looks nice together. The floral kitchen curtains are a nice touch. The large cutlery looks great on the kitchen wall! It is great that there are 5 bedrooms in the home. The colourr scheme of each bedroom looks nice. The animal pictures on the bedhead walls look cute!
    It is a very nice family home! :)
  • Options
    @Laebeth Thank you! It's good to know I'm not alone in getting inspiration from real life!! I've also discovered building for game can be very different and types of homes I love in real life just don't seem "alive" when translated into the Sims. ;)

@Rosemow, I adore your posts! I always read what you say--not just on my own but on everyone's! You have such a good eye for details and for putting yourself in the perspective of the Sims using the home. I was trying to repeat the check looked of the wallpaper with the tile! I'm glad you noticed. :) I don't often splurge on wallpaper but the pink and flowery theme ( which you so deftly noticed also carried over to the window trestments!) was strong with this one! Thank you!!
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    @withlovejulien all of your houses here look so fantastic! They look so much like real houses I've seen, I feel like I could live in them myself. As for real life inspiration, I look for that everywhere I go. I find myself driving down the street and catching glimpses of houses I'd like to try and build in sims, or looking up pictures of houses online. Even though i feel like I've graduated from the title "beginner builder" in the sims, I still do it to this day! In fact, I'd say drawing inspiration from your surroundings will help you grow more comfortable in your skills more quickly than you might think. Keep up the great work and I hope we see more of your builds soon!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    Thank you, @Sweet_Italy, for the encouragement! We'll see if I get there!
  • Options
    I don't want to spam the thread so I'll just put up my Affordable Housing gallery shares from the last week in one post and with only one picture each.

6 bed 40K Victorian home with Vampire Game Pack stuff! Although six beds is one too many!

00.jpg

A 5 Bed 40K Vampire Game Pack home for Forgotten Hollow

00.jpg

A 3 bed starter for Vampires in Forgotten Hollow for under 18.5K

00.jpg

A 3 bed cottage starter for under 18.5K

00.jpg

A Tudor-style 3 bed home for a starter at under 18.5K

00.jpg

And I may as well include these two which I actually shared about 2 weeks ago.

A 3 bed modern beach home (even ultra modern!) for 40K

00.jpg

A Greek Revival style 4 bed Colonial at 40K

00.jpg
  • Options
    Each of your homes are very nice! @withlovejulien :) Very nice exterior design of each of them! They are all very uniquely nice! Very nice roofing designs. They are very nice affordable homes! :)
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    4 Bedroom Starter
    4 Bed, 2 Bath
    Gallery Price: $17,970
    Cost with lot: $19,970

00.jpg
    01.jpg
    02.jpgThe furnishings are spare, but it's under $20,000 and I tested enough room for seven single beds. It's definitely a lot sims can grow into.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Your 4 bedroom starter is very nice! @phantasmkiss :) Very nice exterior of the home! The flowers look pretty on the edges of the front patio. Very nice layout of the interior of the home. It is great that there are four bedrooms in the build! It is a very nice home for a sims family! The teddy is cute in the kids room! Nice bar stool counter for sims to enjoy sitting on the stools eating a meal. Child sims will have fun playing on the monkey bars.
    Sims will enjoy starting their sims lives there :)
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Thank you, @rosemow! I'm really proud of this one. Maybe I'll see what I can do with 40k next. The starter had few skill items.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    Some more budget-friendly 3+ bedroom homes I've uploaded:

A 3 bed craftsman bungalow with side entrance for 18,435 on a 20x15 lot
    Gallery link
    Slideshow
    fpReHKi.png

Traditional 3 bedroom 3 bath starter for 18,437 on a 20x15 lot
    Gallery link
    Slideshow
    RnYyddE.png

A Tudor 4 bedroom starter on a 20x20 lot for 18,446.Gallery link
    Slideshow
    33jDYH4.png

Another Tudor with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms for 40K on a 30x20 lotGallery link
    Slideshow
    QgK179l.png

For 40K, a 6 bedroom, 3 bath French country home
    Gallery link
    Slideshow
    K48jACS.png
  • Options
    @phantasmkiss You were able to fit a lot of furniture into your starter! Very nice!
  • Options
    Each of your budget friendly homes are so very nice! @withlovejulien :) Very nice exterior designs of each of them! It is great that they have a number of bedrooms in them and their cost is low! It is great that there is 6 bedrooms in the last one! The flowers on the edges of the homes look so very pretty! The wall patteming on the Tudor style homes looks very nice.it looks very nice the types of windows you have used for each of the homes and very nice placement of them in the builds.
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    @withlovejulien I really like the front porch on that craftsman bungalow, but I think my favourite is the 4-bedroom Tudor. It's beautifully proportioned, and I love the pop of the elaborate central second-storey window. I see you've taken the trouble of alternating the left/right slant of the half-timbering, too: that's dedication! I also really like that you went to a simpler half-timbering for the gable.
  • Options
    Thank you, @rosemow!! I hope a lot of large Sim families find it easier to find homes in their budgets now!

@xinquin I can't believe I missed your comment until now! Sorry!!

Yes--I love the X pattern and I'm geeky enough to appreciate that it means a stronger bracing IRL! Thank you for noticing!

I am also a bit obsessed with making the interior orientation match the exterior on all of the external walls (because if it was real wood bracing it would go through the entire wall and a lot of families didn't plaster over it) so I'm constantly spinning the house around to make the orientation of the interior match the exterior (mirrored of course!) and even though, for a budget build, it means less décor/walls/etc I think it adds a lot to the warmth of the interior. I hope so! Though it is a pain in the butt to color individual wall panels so I bet a lot of people who download it just paint the whole room instead of only the interior walls and don't even notice! ;)

Here's the interior behind the big window as an example.

kRiOOsh.png
  • Options
    A couple of starters.

Three bedrooms and one story Craftsman style Bungalow (includes toddler stuff) under 18500:

Gallery link
    More images

04DkxNO.png?1

This wall is in desperate need of a fireplace:

RVRU0qR.png

Four bedrooms with a farmhouse feel (includes toddler stuff) under 18500. Nothing special on the inside (as you can imagine with furnishing four bedrooms on a tiny budget!).

Gallery link
    More images

gbETIVt.png

dh8ddoU.png
  • Options
    Bungalow Starter 3bed18K and Farmhouse Starter 4bed18k are both very nice starters! @withlovejulien :) The flowers along the edges of the front of the homes looks very pretty! The dormer in the first home is a nice touch, and it looks very effective and nice how the open shutter windows have been placed in the second home! Very nice layout of the interiors of the homes. The wall colours and patterns in the rooms give a very nice look to the rooms.
    They are great starters for families! :)
  • Options
    Thank you, @rosemow! I hope Simmers enjoy them!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top