Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

McDougal Legacy (COMIC-STRIP style!)

Comments

• remi_narrowremi_narrow Posts: 478 Member
    @cecerose0208 Oh dear! Then I'm definitely changing that to butter chicken!

This is what butter chicken looks like, in case you were wondering...
    Butter-Chicken.jpg

PS: Now, I'm so hungry! :disappointed:
    @Julyvee94 Bahaha :joy: So now that we're at it...

Let me give you a sneak peek into the diversity of Indian cuisine! In India, food looks and tastes different as you move from one region to another! (Now don't be shocked by the quantity of food in each of the pictures :lol: We don't eat all of this at the same time; our everyday meals include only a few dishes from the plethora of food represented here :tongue:)

Enjoy!
    North Indian cuisine
    506523-dakshin-itc-windsor.jpg

West Indian cuisine (the cuisine changes again according to the different states in West India)

(this is the cuisine of the state where I live)
    2cda0ffc4e0e9b27d830e91a646be5a1.jpg

(cuisine of another state in the west)
    Gujarati-Thali-at-Bhojan-Panjim.jpg

South Indian cuisine
    South-Indian-Thali.jpg

And this is a personal favorite of mine! It's a deep fried snack and it tastes so so good! :love:
    1318465924950.jpg

I hope the others won't mind me going a little off track :tongue:
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    @remi_narrow omg I like indian food, especially the north indian cusine. I used to have it all the time at indian Restaurants in England. Though I admit I'm a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when it comes to spiciness XD my favourite is prawn korma ^^

Edit: and naan bread omg. So tasty
    @Julyvee94 Oh so you're acquainted with Indian cuisine!? That's so cool!

Though I live in the west, my city is metropolitan so we get to eat all kinds of cuisines (Yay for foodies like me) And I love north Indian cuisine a lot! Especially butter chicken with naan is.... just divine! :love:

And I love prawns, too! And I know how Westerners have a hard time with spices! :joy: I mean if I were having a meal in any Western country, I'd probably add salt and pepper and chili flakes and whatnot to make it taste better :lol: But that's pretty normal since our tongues are used to a certain taste right from our childhood.
    edited June 2016
    @cecerose0208 @BlackBDeath @ThePlumbob @Julyvee94 @Sterretjeee @POLLYANNA2 @VIRTUALEE @RosemaryMariee @princess2109 @NoaLyn @fabtiffsim @Eddie Sims @Charliimai

Hey y'all! Hope everyone's having an awesomesauce day :)

So in our reading circle, we had decided to have a Q&A session with the readers and one writer at a time. In the course of responding to @CitizenErased14's feedback, I (unintentionally :lol:) came up with an analysis of Charles and Laura's relationship.

So since y'all are caught up with the story, I would like y'all to read it. I'm sure it'll help you guys understand the story better; especially if you found it to be very complicated (which it obviously is :lol:) This analysis is just my personal interpretation of the story and I do not, in any way expect you guys to agree with my opinions!

Do let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions if you have any :)

Now CitizenErased told me how she wasn't on board the Charlaura ship. Here's what she said:
    I have such a hard time accepting them as a couple. Laura has really poisoned this relationship, in my eyes. But then her bizarre and erratic behavior was forgiven so easily by Charles! Clearly he is blinded by love :lol:

And here's my response to her comment:
    Yes Charles is blinded by love! He just doesn’t want to lose Laura!

And then there’s Laura who feels the same way, though I wouldn’t say she loves Charles just as much as he loves her (at least not up until now; her love for him is just starting to bloom).

And yes, I absolutely agree with you when you said she had poisoned this relationship! Her ulterior motive of being in this relationship does not stem from love. She’s been with Charles for all this while, not because of love but because of the fear of being left abandoned. I mean if she really really loved him, she would’ve married him and would’ve been ready to have a baby and settle down and start a life with him FOR REAL. she would’ve readily given up her own dreams or the promises she had made herself (like never getting married or never having babies) because isn’t that what people who truly love each other do? They willingly sacrifice their desires for their other half.

But instead our girl decided to be selfish and do what she wanted and somehow get Charles to agree with her decisions and above all, keep Charles close to her- in her control, only because she doesn’t want to lose him.

Now, Charles of course truly loves her. I mean can you believe it; he actually broke the promise of not woohooing until marriage for Laura! Because he really considers her to be THE ONE and he knows she’s the right girl for him and so he sacrificed his principles, just like that! On the other hand, what has Laura done for him, really? She’s only pretended to be more like him, but she wasn’t successful in that either! She has failed to prove her love for Charles, because she doesn’t really love him! because she’s still unsure of her feelings for him. Her love, like I mentioned before, is just beginning to bloom and she has started caring for him. Yet, I’m sure she’s only deceiving herself, pretending like she genuinely loves him.

Note: See how she’s pretending, again? Lying to herself that she’s really in love with Charles when all she wants from this relationship is a sense of security; she's in desperate need of a male figure in her life who will guarantee safety and protection (This need probably arises because of the lack of a father figure during her childhood.)

Maybe you had already figured this out, maybe you had no idea; but I hope this little "analysis" (LOL) cleared the few doubts that you must probably be having and I also hope that you have gotten a greater insight into their love story and were thus able to understand the motives behind their actions.

Now, I'm eagerly waiting to hear what you think about their love story and whether you agree with what I have to say about these two! :)
    Post edited by remi_narrow on
  • princess2109princess2109 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    remi pls
    I was hanging onto Charles/Laura by a thread and then you go and post that!
    . . . then again where do I have room to talk i'm slowly developing Florence into an Alpha Female so //shot
    forum_banner.png?width=1932&height=1610
    I respectfully disagree with your Statement of what true lovers do :D But I liked the analysis nontheless. I had a feeling Laura didn't truly love Charles. Her fear of being abandonded, does it also stem from her illness?
  • VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    Oooo I had no idea Laura isn't in love with him. I mean maybe I felt as though she was perhaps unsure of her feelings because of her past and illness. But not being in love with him and stringing the poor fella on is....so sad. Truly they will never know what true love is if they keep this charade up...and Charles gave up everything for her is...omg.

I am hoping she poops or gets off the pot. For both of their sakes. This cannot be healthy for either of them.

In summation it just sounds to me like Laura needs a good friend versus a boyfriend/lover.
  • Eddie SimsEddie Sims Posts: 121 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree with your Statement of what true lovers do :D But I liked the analysis nontheless. I had a feeling Laura didn't truly love Charles. Her fear of being abandonded, does it also stem from her illness?

I also don't think that people must give up their dreams and desires for the person they love. Relationships are about respecting the other person's wishes and values and reaching a compromise that best suits both parties involved so everyone can be happy. I do agree with your analysis @remi_narrow in that Charles has done a lot of compromising on his part for the sake of their relationship but Laura hasn't. She certainly tried but failed only because she was pretending to want the things he wanted and not actually wanting them for herself and that to me is not a compromise, it's faking and if you're faking in a relationship then what's the point in being together? In spite of all this, I always thought Laura genuinely loved Charles so to learn she is only with him because she has abandonment issues is kinda disappointing, but story wise I love it because that makes their relationship more complex and interesting. It would be so easy to make her have an epiphany and suddenly start being the perfect girlfriend/wife but that's not realistic. I really like Laura in spite of her issues. At the same time, I love Charles as well and he so deserves better than Laura (or Laura, the way she is right now). Still, I'm still rooting for them to someday make it work but for that to happen Laura NEEDS to be honest Charles about her issues and get help (see a therapist!) so she can work on feeling secure in herself before she can be a partner to someone else.
    The Sloane Legacy |Eddie's Sims World | Origin ID: EddieSims4 | Twitter: _EddieSims | Follow me on YouTube

gen1-7-resized-2.jpg
    remi pls
    I was hanging onto Charles/Laura by a thread and then you go and post that!
    . . . then again where do I have room to talk i'm slowly developing Florence into an Alpha Female so //shot

@princess2109 LOL I should've mentioned somewhere that this ship IS NOT going to sink! I love them too much to let them fall apart! :lol:

edited June 2016

@Julyvee94 Yes it is related to her illness!

And about "true love" well, I have not experienced it but I've definitely seen people make sacrifices for their lovers (my own parents are an excellent example and I get the inspiration from them!) Yes of course, at the end, it depends on what kind of a person you are; if you are selfless and generous you'd be more willingly to give up your dreams for your partner as opposed to someone who is selfish by nature.

Post edited by remi_narrow on
    @VIRTUALEE I know it's definitely sad. She's been a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 this whole time, hasn't she?

But I'm generous and benevolent (LOL :lol:) and so, I'll be giving her another chance. If she realizes her mistake, their relationship will work out. But if she doesn't and still continues to behave like a douchbag :joy: umm... can you make some room in your dungeon below Hogwarts? I can put her there with Reina! Sounds like a fitting punishment, doesn't it? ;)

• VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    @VIRTUALEE I know it's definitely sad. She's been a plum this whole time, hasn't she?

But I'm generous and benevolent (LOL :lol:) and so, I'll be giving her another chance. If she realizes her mistake, their relationship will work out. But if she doesn't and still continues to behave like a douchbag :joy: umm... can you make some room in your dungeon below Hogwarts? I can put her there with Reina! Sounds like a fitting punishment, doesn't it? ;)

Lmao! Yes the more the merrier! Reins is in need of a friend herself ;)
    edited June 2016
    Eddie Sims wrote: »

I also don't think that people must give up their dreams and desires for the person they love. Relationships are about respecting the other person's wishes and values and reaching a compromise that best suits both parties involved so everyone can be happy. I do agree with your analysis @remi_narrow in that Charles has done a lot of compromising on his part for the sake of their relationship but Laura hasn't. She certainly tried but failed only because she was pretending to want the things he wanted and not actually wanting them for herself and that to me is not a compromise, it's faking and if you're faking in a relationship then what's the point in being together? In spite of all this, I always thought Laura genuinely loved Charles so to learn she is only with him because she has abandonment issues is kinda disappointing, but story wise I love it because that makes their relationship more complex and interesting. It would be so easy to make her have an epiphany and suddenly start being the perfect girlfriend/wife but that's not realistic. I really like Laura in spite of her issues. At the same time, I love Charles as well and he so deserves better than Laura (or Laura, the way she is right now). Still, I'm still rooting for them to someday make it work but for that to happen Laura NEEDS to be honest Charles about her issues and get help (see a therapist!) so she can work on feeling secure in herself before she can be a partner to someone else.

@Eddie Sims Oh I loved your feedback! <3 And everything you've written is so on point. I agree with every word you've written except for the "true love" thingamabob :joy: Maybe despite all the realism in my story I do have some elements of a fairytale :lol: like my idea of true love is rarely witnessed in real life! But I guess it's still okay, as far as it entertaining, right? ;)
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    @VIRTUALEE I know it's definitely sad. She's been a plum this whole time, hasn't she?

Lmao! Yes the more the merrier! Reins is in need of a friend herself ;)

@VIRTUALEE Bahaha :joy:
  • SterretjeeeSterretjeee Posts: 3,019 Member
    This story got super dark super fast, thanks to the comments section :lol:
    edited June 2016
    @remi_narrow I agree with what eddiesims said here:

I also don't think that people must give up their dreams and desires for the person they love. Relationships are about respecting the other person's wishes and values and reaching a compromise that best suits both parties involved so everyone can be happy.

And maybe you didn't mean it that way but your reply to me is kinda rubbing me the wrong way because you are basically saying that me and my bf don't truly love each other but are selfish because we Support the other's dreams instead of giving them up. And I don't appreciate that. Maybe it's a difference in culture but in the mean time I might have to take a break from this discussion and this thread.

Eta: if for example my bf was being generous - as you worded it - and have up his dreams for me and I would allow it - wouldn't that make me selfish? And if we both gave up our dreams for each other we would both be unhappy, so that doesn't make sense either.

To me true love is about respecting each other and about compromising but still supporting each other's dreams like eddiesims said.
    @Julyvee94 Oh no I never meant to hurt your feelings or to say that your love for your bf is not true! I totally agree with you on the point of culture, that it definitely plays a major role in how you perceive such abstract ideas as true love! To be honest, true love is a very subjective term and what it means will differ from one person to another and definitely from one culture to another!

I feel awful for having made that comment and I'm genuinely sorry! And when I used the word 'selfish' I never used it with any intentions of attacking you or your opinion! Please forgive me :(
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I said it in our reading circle and I'll say it here, I refuse to believe Laura doesn't love Charles! My mouth is still hanging open from it. She's just got a lot of issues and a lot of growing up to do.

I'm just sitting here like, say it ain't so!

Also, I agree that love doesn't mean giving up on your dreams. The people I know who have "given up their dreams for love," weren't really doing that. I think of an aspiring chef who gives up owning her own restaurant to be a stay-at-home mom. She does it after talking with her husband, who always dreamed of his children being raised that way. In this example scenario, she's not choosing his dream over hers, they're picking a new dream together. When you have both sides of the couple coming together in compromise, whatever is chosen is out of love and mutual respect, then know one feels like they're losing or giving everything up.
  • POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    @remi_narrow I find it hard to believe that Laura doesn't love Charles - I am also a huge believer that love is not the only thing that makes a long term relationship (and marriage work). Ultimately, for me, marriage is committing to a partnership where you are going to love and support each other in the big things in life. Both parties will need to compromise at different times and both should take a moment when they step back and let the other chase what they truly want in that moment. This doesn't mean that each partner shouldn't be able to achieve their dreams but it does mean at time each will have to compromise on certain things. While this compromise is easier to get to on some things (moving for a person's job for instance or committing to having your partner's parent live with you for a couple of years ) there is no compromise point on something like kids. You either have them or you don't. And it's a long commitment; it's not like you can have kids for a couple of years (to give Charles what he wants) and then go back to not having kids. It's also something that I personally believe that you shouldn't have to compromise on. If you want them you should have them, and if you don't want them you definitely shouldn't have them.

I think Charles is being a little unfair by expecting Laura to change her stance on kids and Laura needs to be honest and say if Charles wants kids, he needs to find another partner. So for me, whether Laura and Charles love each other is a secondary issue. The main one is the kids. And if Laura is pregnant - Charles might find himself in the unfortunate position where he has to choose between his girlfriend and his kid.
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

• cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    @POLLYANNA2 you get an insightful for that. Well said!

Every time I come back to this thread today, I'm just like, noooooooo. I just can't make my heart accept that Laura doesn't really love Charles. They were one of my favorite Sim couples right now. My bottom lip is definitely still poked out.
    Eta: if for example my bf was being generous - as you worded it - and have up his dreams for me and I would allow it - wouldn't that make me selfish? And if we both gave up our dreams for each other we would both be unhappy, so that doesn't make sense either.

To me true love is about respecting each other and about compromising but still supporting each other's dreams like eddiesims said.

@Julyvee94 I guess that would make you selfish ONLY if you would never appreciate your bf for giving up his dreams for your happiness, and also if you would never do the same for him. Because at the end, there always has to be give and take in a relationship.

And I don’t think sacrificing your dreams for your bf would make you unhappy, especially not if you know that at the end he’s going to be happy and seeing a smile on his face would make you happy in return! For instance, you’ve always dreamed of going to so and so place for your honeymoon but your bf insists y’all go to some other place. Now to settle this argument you make a compromise, that is, you decide to go where your bf wants to. You sacrificed your dream because you want your bf to be happy. You’re bf thanks you and promises you, the next year you both will take a vacation to the place you’ve wanted to go. So finally, you both respected each other’s dreams and made a settlement (a compromise).

So I agree with you, true love is definitely about respecting each other’s dreams and compromising, BUT the catch here, is that there is always a little sacrifice even in a comprise! (Aren’t you sacrificing (giving up) your dream of going to so and so place to compromise and settle the argument?)

But then, if your bf never keeps his promise of going to your dream destination, that is, he never does anything for you in return that would be unfair on your part, you would become frustrated and disappointed and so your relationship wouldn’t work. (I’m only very generally stating this and not saying your relationship won’t work! :sweat_smile:)

That’s why I said that a generous person would be more willing to give up his dreams for their partner because they care not only about themselves but also about their lover! A selfish person on the other hand will never sacrifice and make compromises because he will only think about himself and thus, take his partner for granted! (Again, I’m not saying you or your bf is selfish! Very generally stating this! :sweat_smile:)

@POLLYANNA2
    POLLYANNA2 wrote: »
    both should take a moment when they step back and let the other chase what they truly want in that moment.
    This itself means sacrificing, don’t you think? By stepping back you are ultimately giving up your own dreams so your partner can chase his dreams! As I pointed out to Julyvee, there is always a little sacrifice in compromise!

While this compromise is easier to get to on some things (moving for a person's job for instance or committing to having your partner's parent live with you for a couple of years ) there is no compromise point on something like kids. You either have them or you don't. And it's a long commitment; it's not like you can have kids for a couple of years (to give Charles what he wants) and then go back to not having kids. It's also something that I personally believe that you shouldn't have to compromise on. If you want them you should have them, and if you don't want them you definitely shouldn't have them.
    On the “kids” point I completely agree with you, that’s a situation where a compromise is impossible but “considering it (having kids) as an option” can be possible! I’ll be talking about that in detail when we get to that part in the story (4 more chapters to go…)

I think Charles is being a little unfair by expecting Laura to change her stance on kids and Laura needs to be honest and say if Charles wants kids, he needs to find another partner. So for me, whether Laura and Charles love each other is a secondary issue. The main one is the kids.
    I don’t think Charles is being unfair by expecting Laura to change her stance on kids, because he doesn’t even know why she doesn’t want kids on the first place! He tried bringing up that topic, but she refused to say anything. So he’s clueless; he has no idea why she doesn’t want kids. Yes, she did tell him that she fears being a terrible parent. But then, who doesn’t have pre-parental jitters? Of course there’s something abnormal about this fear of hers and when Charles tried learning the reason of this fear, Laura suddenly fell silent and then they were distracted by Cathy and Jolene.
    So, I guess Charles would want to find out about this fear that Laura has and probably try to help her calm down a bit. Because they have been together for too long, their love has endured a lot and just letting her go would be next to impossible for him!

And if Laura is pregnant - Charles might find himself in the unfortunate position where he has to choose between his girlfriend and his kid.
    Thumbs up to that!