Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bring back the newspaper

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    The only time I ever used newspapers was in TS2, for my poorest sims to look for a job or use it as entertainment, read it then make a paper airplane lol.

I just found them annoying in TS3 and the first thing I would have to do with a new household is cancel the darn thing.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I used to find it annoying, but now I miss it
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    @sunman502 yeah, I realized you were describing rl blue mailboxes... just have never seen them...but then again I wouln't have if they were only used in the US. :D *facepalm* it's too early here... need coffee.
    Those boxes that are sitting on the street corner in the game. I call them paper boxes because we actually have paper boxes that look like that here. Sometimes you can find them sitting out on the curb like that. Or sometimes they can be found sitting up against a public building or a store front here. ;)

I see... well then, that's silly seeing as the game has no newspapers. :D (Wasn't that your original comment?)
    It is my original comment, and was wondering why are they even in the game at all when there's no newspapers.

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited April 2016
    @sunman502 yeah, I realized you were describing rl blue mailboxes... just have never seen them...but then again I wouln't have if they were only used in the US. :D *facepalm* it's too early here... need coffee.
    Those boxes that are sitting on the street corner in the game. I call them paper boxes because we actually have paper boxes that look like that here. Sometimes you can find them sitting out on the curb like that. Or sometimes they can be found sitting up against a public building or a store front here. ;)

I see... well then, that's silly seeing as the game has no newspapers. :D (Wasn't that your original comment?)
    It is my original comment, and was wondering why are they even in the game at all when there's no newspapers.

My guess it was done just as general neighborhood ambience. Much like the fx insects and sheep etc depending on which world your sim is in. (Apart from GF of course where insects are an actual item for interaction.)
    typos
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I would really love the papers back again. Yes, I know we have phones now (whoopie), but you can't read sports scores, or news from around town, you can clip coupons and see what classes were on sale, or read the obits like you could with the news paper. Having a phone now would be a good argument if you could still read articles on them.

But then again this game doesn't have sports, or places to use coupons, or notifications of deaths, anyway, so what would a Sim read about?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png

My guess it was done just as general neighborhood ambience. Much like the fx insects and sheep etc depending on which world your sim is in. (Apart from GF of course where insects are an actual item for interaction.)
    typos
    That's a good possibility!

• LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I miss the town news!!
  • MegastephMegasteph Posts: 58 Member
    Il be honest, unless i had a butler, the newspapers would stack up outside around my mail box. I would usually clean it once it gets out of hand but it was a small but fun feature to have as well. When not cheating with motherlode for instance and looking for a job in particular.
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    i agree i know times have changed and its out of style but it should be an option
    I just remembered, having the newspaper was also really great for a new save game. It would raise fun reading it before you could afford a TV or computer, or a book case. And I almost always gave my Sim the Neat trait, so it also made them happy to clean up any old papers from the yard.
    edited April 2016
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I just remembered, having the newspaper was also really great for a new save game. It would raise fun reading it before you could afford a TV or computer, or a book case. And I almost always gave my Sim the Neat trait, so it also made them happy to clean up any old papers from the yard.
    I have never really used the Neat trait all that much. And so you can where having a bunch of old newspapers just sitting around in my sims' yards would in deed annoy me.
    ETA: Edited for grammar error.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Repo wrote: »
    I'd like to see a couple of options for news papers in game. I'd like to be able to read the paper online from a computer, tablet, or cell phone the way many of us do now. Second, I'd like to be able to order a paper copy newspaper to be delivered with the choice of once time, every day or weekend only delivery. The paper could just as easily be delivered at the same time as the mail by the mail carrier. Paper copy news papers would hopefully have some of the same fun as their predecessors, like making airplanes and doing puzzles as well as delivering the news.

Maybe if there were an added political career or something like that, reading the news could be a job task. And it could be patched into the Journalism career somehow. Then it would have some function in gameplay other than make-believe. (I'm 100% for make-believe being enough, but that's just me.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Maybe they could bring the newspaper back and instead of it being automatic, you have to call (on your land line LOL) to subscribe. The cash register is an old idea like the land line, but people still want it.
    I have never really used the Neat trait all that much. And so you can where having a bunch of old newspapers just sitting around in my sims' yards would in deed annoy me.

It is convenient for Sims that cook a lot or that have toddlers and kids that leave toys everywhere. You can just click on the floor and select "Clean House" and they would get everything. It was especially useful for piles of clothes or dishes that your Sims would hide. And it made a Neat Sim happy to clean.

The Neat trait in TS4 is all but useless.
    edited April 2016

It is convenient for Sims that cook a lot or that have toddlers and kids that leave toys everywhere. You can just click on the floor and select "Clean House" and they would get everything. It was especially useful for piles of clothes or dishes that your Sims would hide. And it made a Neat Sim happy to clean.

The Neat trait in TS4 is all but useless.
    Oh no doubt because I have played with that trait a couple of times in the past, just not a whole lot. There's just no need for it if there isn't a lot to clean up in your sims' houses. Especially since your sims generally clean up after them selves most of the time. I wish that we had live-in maids and or butlers back though.
    ETA: Speaking all but useless traits in Sims 4. Another trait in Sims 4 that can go into that all but useless category is the Super Green Thumb one. What's the point of having that one when Sims will get that automatically once they reached LVL 7 of the gardening skill?

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    With every sim having a smartphone, I don't think a newspaper is needed anymore. It's one of the old metaphors of the other games that I think won't come back.
    True and with newspaper moving to the PC as well in real life more and more newspaper is going online. However, it should not have to apply to the game be an option.
    If newspapers are out altogether. Then what would be the purpose of having those paper boxes just sitting there on the street corner in the game?
    I think you misunderstood Just because what is happening in RL does not have to apply in the game. I must have missed those boxes.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CharlieGothCharlieGoth Posts: 192 Member
    Good times! I remember having a lot of news papers on the front of my sims houses, and receiving a call from the Newspaper department telling me they wouldn't bring me the newspaper anymore because I had way too many, and I had to recycle them. I agree with those who said that IF they bring it back, it should be optional though.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    Yess! Please. I miss looking for jobs, crosswords, making an airplane out if it and what I think would be interesting is if we had yard sales ymthey could put those in the news paper and you could click an option that would allow you to have a pop up window for yard sales in the neighborhood or flea markets/ farmer's market type thing..

And coupons! For grocery stores. Come on, EA, get to it! =P
    With every sim having a smartphone, I don't think a newspaper is needed anymore. It's one of the old metaphors of the other games that I think won't come back.
    True and with newspaper moving to the PC as well in real life more and more newspaper is going online. However, it should not have to apply to the game be an option.
    If newspapers are out altogether. Then what would be the purpose of having those paper boxes just sitting there on the street corner in the game?
    I think you misunderstood Just because what is happening in RL does not have to apply in the game. I must have missed those boxes.
    Oh no, I'm not misunderstood. I'm fully aware that just because that it happens in RL does not have to apply to the game. No I was wondering why are there newspaper boxes in the game when there's no newspapers for the sims to get and read. And as another Simmer has done pointed out. They could be just a neighborhood decor, much like a row of hedges that sit on the edge of a sidewalk in the game. No you are misunderstood, I was not try to bring RL into the game at all.

Oh no, I'm not misunderstood. I'm fully aware that just because that it happens in RL does not have to apply to the game. No I was wondering why are there newspaper boxes in the game when there's no newspapers for the sims to get and read. And as another Simmer has done pointed out. They could be just a neighborhood decor, much like a row of hedges that sit on the edge of a sidewalk in the game. No you are misunderstood, I was not try to bring RL into the game at all.

I think they are just decoration. Like cars driving around town, when we can't actually have them.
    Good times! I remember having a lot of news papers on the front of my sims houses, and receiving a call from the Newspaper department telling me they wouldn't bring me the newspaper anymore because I had way too many, and I had to recycle them. I agree with those who said that IF they bring it back, it should be optional though.
    I have had the Newspaper tell me that they couldn't deliver the paper because I had to many in my front yard in Sims 3 too. And that I wasn't getting anymore papers delivered until I had recycled the old ones.
    I always kept thinking that Sims 3 was having a paper shortage when the game told me to recycle the old newspapers. :D

• feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I miss the newspaper, it brought up their fun, and I remember in sims2 I think it was, that kids could do a puzzle and adults a cross word and their logic skill would go up. The only thing we have on the phones is playing games to increase their gaming skill.
    and neighbourhood news. great if it said who was seen with who at a night club. lol
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Guess I did misunderstood your post, lot of decorations in Sims 4. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I don't miss newspapers at all, I just cancel the subscription since those just pile up every time for me