Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some tweets from simguru graham about lounge chairs, packs releases etc

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @QDog, it's my opinion Multitasking to this extreme will kill this game eventually. If you read his answers about a lounge chair (think on that, it's just a lounge chair) he said more or less it would be hard to animate. Why? Because of multitasking it would be more complicated this time. Not cost worthy or something if they have to add all the multitasking like socializing (Sims in TS2 talk while relaxing on lounge chair) and some tech stuff about too hard, too expensive. Eventually, multitasking to this degree will keep many good things from this game. As it has already...toddlers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @QDog, it's my opinion Multitasking to this extreme will kill this game eventually. If you read his answers about a lounge chair (think on that, it's just a lounge chair) he said more or less it would be hard to animate. Why? Because of multitasking it would be more complicated this time. Not cost worthy or something if they have to add all the multitasking like socializing (Sims in TS2 talk while relaxing on lounge chair) and some tech stuff about too hard, too expensive. Eventually, multitasking to this degree will keep many good things from this game. As it has already...toddlers.

That I understand and I agree to an extent. I like multitasking and for me it helps immersion. I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I am even ready to sacrifice some stuff (like lounge chairs) for it. However I don't want multitasking at any cost (eg at the expense of toddlers or other significant features). I guess/hope the developers know what features are worth investing time and money on to get around any issues that may be caused by multitasking.
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited April 2016
    I thought I'd weigh in here with a few additional comments, since Twitter isn’t really the place for going into detail. Talking about game development and the how or why of what went into the game you end up playing is one of my favorite topics.

U can already have workin lounge chairs with mods tho..if a modder can do it, why cant they?

There's a big difference in the acceptable quality bar when downloading a free mod vs paying anywhere from $10 - $40 for official content from Maxis. The thought that "a modder can do it, why can't [Maxis]" is a false dichotomy, because of that built in expectation that official content is held to a certain standard. On top of actually building the content, there's additional overhead that any new content we make needs to go through before we get it into your hands that a modder simply isn’t burdened with. One of the core tenets of The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions.

@purplereign mentioned the hospital bed, which is an excellent example of the type of object where we don’t feel the need to support a full suite of multitasking. Because that object serves a very specific purpose there's no expectation for it to multitask with everything, so we can author specific animations to support the gameplay for that object without having to port over the entire suite of social animations in the game.

ASDF0716 wrote: »
    all I read though that whole thing was: "too hard, too expensive"

The reality of development is that each feature represents a certain amount of work, and each pack that we release represents a bucket of development time to be filled. We keep filling that bucket with work until it's reached capacity. The features we fill that bucket with are selected to create a set of compelling and cohesive features that support the theme of the pack. When making those choices we have to ask ourselves if a feature’s existence is justified given the amount of work required to implement it – bearing in mind that we can instead choose to spend that time on something else that may be an even better addition.

Let's look at lounge chairs as an example. If the question is... "Are lounge chairs a compelling enough feature to spend X% of time of a Stuff Pack's overall capacity to implement them?" then the answer we've reached is "No." In this case, the work required to implement lounge chairs would mean that they might be the only new functional object in that pack, if they even fit within scope at all. Numerous players have expressed that something along the lines of new sitting animations doesn't qualify as new gameplay in their minds, which reinforces our decision that a lounge chair probably isn't the right choice to focus a stuff pack around. In a Game Pack or Expansion Pack which has a larger overall bucket of time/development resources to fill, a lounge chair represents a much smaller percentage of that overall capacity, and the argument for their inclusion becomes more compelling.

I see plenty of room for discussion here in the forums if the community feels that a set of features we create in a pack isn’t aligned with what players were hoping for. I think we’ve always been open to receiving constructive criticism, so please keep that dialog going.

Luke wrote: »
    SP's are supposed to be for adding things like hot tubs; objects that don't require too much (or any) attention to the way the animations/interactions work. The stuff packs are there to expand on the items that we currently have instead of introducing new ones.

Actually, animation is the discipline that we get the most allocated time from to use in a stuff pack's production schedule... about double the amount of time compared to the next closest discipline. Quality animations take a lot of time to create, and support for multi-tasking, emotions, and different ages can all add multipliers to the estimate for any feature. Because stuff packs are the smallest bundle of content we currently release, we need to be smart about the features we select, and be creative in the way we design features so that we can deliver great content without exceeding the resources allotted to us.

Our philosophy for stuff packs is to add meaningful new content to the game that adds new game play that you can't get elsewhere. The new features that stuff packs introduce should feel comprehensive and self-contained. Sometimes we focus on niche themes that we don't think would fit in a larger pack, and sometimes we use it as a platform to bring frequently requested content to the game sooner than it might otherwise find a place to slot in.

Aine wrote: »
    I don't like it when devs say that 'people didn't like [blank] pack' so we won't be making it. Not liking a certain feature doesn't mean that one doesn't like the concept. Just do it better next time.

I'll say upfront that you're interpreting my comments in a way that I didn't intend. I love World Adventures; it's one of my personal favorite expansion packs. It was praised by reviewers, and its sales performed very well. When I talk about it being a divisive pack among the community, it's a recognition that it introduced and focused on an entirely different type of game play that in many ways existed outside of the core Sims experience. Some people loved it for being different, others it didn't click with because it was so different.

When I say that I think it's unlikely that there will be a direct successor to World Adventures, it isn't in any way a condemnation of what we did in that pack. There's much to appreciate from it, and some great features that are likely to return in future Sims titles. Themes that incorporate traveling to foreign lands and exploring their cultures are exciting and certainly relevant to The Sims. I would be surprised if we made another expansion that focused on exploring tombs and solving puzzles to unlock hidden treasures. I don’t think that’s the type of feature you’d expect to return in each iteration of the Sims, unlike something with broad appeal such as Pets or Seasons.

My comments definitely aren’t saying that I think a vacation or destination type pack is unlikely. That sounds to me like a fun and highly relatable theme that would fit right into the game that we’re making.

I think he said he can make lounge chair easily, like they already made similar lounge chair in the name of hospital chair, but it isn't acceptable in sims 4 they just make simple lounge chair like in previous sims game.

I understand what he trying to say.
    I read somewhere( not in this forum) someone complained about ice cream maker dosnt make multitasking function with movie stuff packs.
    But later I found she was wrong and sims can watch movie while eating ice cream.
    SMbAWJw.jpg

Peoples are already spoiled by multitasking like this
    pDJCl5F.jpg
    61aGpJO.jpg
    rDoVXNr.jpg
    3wSS5rR.jpg
    cEdV40n.jpg
    2kwld37.jpg

so they complain like why we cannot eat ice cream while watching movie already.
    peoples want different packs are linked with multitasking already, but just simple lunge chair like the one in the hospital?......... >.>

Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    [/quote]
    2kwld37.jpg [/quote]

That water is beautiful.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited April 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    QDog wrote: »
    I love multitasking in TS4. I know the other games had multitasking to some extent but it was very limited (e.g. sims drinking at restaurants in the sims 2 was just an idle animation, and you could not choose which drink they had). For me, multitasking helps immersion a lot. For example, here we have Dina Caliente. She's been working like crazy lately and does not have time for fun. As such, her fun bar is always pretty low. Well, here she is fixing breakfast for her family before running to the office. But she's also having fun, because she's listening to some music on the radio. She's even nodding her head with the music. That's immersion for me.

04_09_16_9_23_21_AM.png

Now imagine this scene in TS2 or TS3: Dina wakes up at 7am. She has to head off to work at 9am. She's all cranky because her fun bar is low, but she's also hungry. She fixes breakfast for her family (complaining about her fun bar being low all the way through). Then she has breakfast with their family. Now you have to choose: either send her to work all stressed out because she's not had time to watch a little TV before work, or just take the day off.

TS4 may have many faults, but the multitasking system is definitely not one of them in my opinion.

There is no doubt TS4 has great multitasking, but it still doesn't have toddlers etc, and it still feels way too boring compared with the other versions for whatever reason.

We were not even talking about toddlers here...we were discussing multitasking. I guess this forum has its own version of Godwin's law going on (i.e. According to Godwin's law if an online discussion regardless of topic goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 or 🐸🐸🐸🐸): well in this case it doesn't matter what we're discussing, someone will always bring up toddlers!

ETA: apparently you cannot mention certain dictator in these forums....lol
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    2kwld37.jpg [/quote]

That water is beautiful.[/quote]
    @poppykoke
    That lot is downloaded one from him https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/D404A3EED81011E58BD4A0A7B7BF1CD5?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=DutchSimsMaster&max=50&maxis=false
    QTH2RF7.jpg

and if you put that lot here pool water looks so pretty :p cuz in that lot sun reflects on the water
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2016

We were not even talking about toddlers here...we were discussing multitasking. I guess this forum has its own version of Godwin's law going on (i.e. According to Godwin's law if an online discussion regardless of topic goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 or 🐸🐸🐸🐸): well in this case it doesn't matter what we're discussing, someone will always bring up toddlers!

When discussing about multitasking one of the Gurus mentioned with the current set up multitasking while holding big things doesn't work. Multitasking is the reason why babies were confined to cribs. So it is more than understandable that the same reason is why Simmers worry about other future features such as toddlers, pets, and even making a snowman with the current multitasking set up. The game just isn't built that way yet. Doesn't mean it can't be someday. Now that I think about it, probably why GTW doesn't allow the throw bag down when checking out too like how OFB did. Multitasking doesn't support that. I do have a bad feeling there will be a lot of features not possible to code into the Sims 4 simply because of the current multitasking set up.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Trashmagic wrote: »

I don't know all the techie tech stuff and I won't pretend I do, I just hope we won't miss out on any features or content on account of multitasking.
    Yeah like pets. :( Seasons working with the multitasking worries me too. With the tiny neighborhood design too. *cringes*

Well I hadn't even thought of that. I guess the gurus just have their work cut out for them then.

Half my family does that, either reading a book or reading stuff on their phone. Last night we were watching a show and I was the only one without something to read. I used to read, watch sports, and knit at the same time, which impressed my mother-in-law. I don't as much now but it depends on what the game is.

I like the multitasking. It makes my Sims' activity flow feel more natural than it did in previous Sims games. I only wish they also had the option of reading or browsing the web while eating. That one sticks out for me as missing.

Coffee's ready. Off to the breakfast table with that and something to read.

That's quite fascinating then. Minor distractions I can drown out if I'm enjoying a good novel. If I tried watching a TV show while reading said novel I'd have some trouble. - So was it a bug when my sim brought a bowl of chips to the computer desk one time? ( I don't remember if they were actually using the computer though) I remember getting pretty excited because I sometimes do the same.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I love multitasking in TS4. I know the other games had multitasking to some extent but it was very limited (e.g. sims drinking at restaurants in the sims 2 was just an idle animation, and you could not choose which drink they had). For me, multitasking helps immersion a lot. For example, here we have Dina Caliente. She's been working like crazy lately and does not have time for fun. As such, her fun bar is always pretty low. Well, here she is fixing breakfast for her family before running to the office. But she's also having fun, because she's listening to some music on the radio. She's even nodding her head with the music. That's immersion for me.

04_09_16_9_23_21_AM.png

Now imagine this scene in TS2 or TS3: Dina wakes up at 7am. She has to head off to work at 9am. She's all cranky because her fun bar is low, but she's also hungry. She fixes breakfast for her family (complaining about her fun bar being low all the way through). Then she has breakfast with their family. Now you have to choose: either send her to work all stressed out because she's not had time to watch a little TV before work, or just take the day off.

TS4 may have many faults, but the multitasking system is definitely not one of them in my opinion.

There is no doubt TS4 has great multitasking, but it still doesn't have toddlers etc, and it still feels way too boring compared with the other versions for whatever reason.

I'm sorry but did I even speak of toddlers? No, I didn't speak of it I simply mentioned it to show that multitasking is not the problem.

Lounge chairs might not go into a SP but so what?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I don't know all the techie tech stuff and I won't pretend I do, I just hope we won't miss out on any features or content on account of multitasking.
    Yeah like pets. :( Seasons working with the multitasking worries me too. With the tiny neighborhood design too. *cringes*

Well I hadn't even thought of that. I guess the gurus just have their work cut out for them then.

Half my family does that, either reading a book or reading stuff on their phone. Last night we were watching a show and I was the only one without something to read. I used to read, watch sports, and knit at the same time, which impressed my mother-in-law. I don't as much now but it depends on what the game is.

I like the multitasking. It makes my Sims' activity flow feel more natural than it did in previous Sims games. I only wish they also had the option of reading or browsing the web while eating. That one sticks out for me as missing.

Coffee's ready. Off to the breakfast table with that and something to read.

That's quite fascinating then. Minor distractions I can drown out if I'm enjoying a good novel. If I tried watching a TV show while reading said novel I'd have some trouble. - So was it a bug when my sim brought a bowl of chips to the computer desk one time? ( I don't remember if they were actually using the computer though) I remember getting pretty excited because I sometimes do the same.

So much YMMV, right? I can't listen to most music while I work, but I know people who can even have TV shows on!

I thought everyone's desk had a chips bowl on it :/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    The multi tasking concept is really not the issue its to determine what is apsolute and what can be phased when pathing, I have noticed in Farming Simulator 2015 your machines could get stuck in weird locations just because the other cars don't phase out. This creates a unintended traffic jame on the streets were they have no animations for stopping and the cars wheels will continue to spin, because the dynamic animation was never meant to be stopped. This also creates a resource drain on the computer until you get something to free the trapped cars and stuck objects, or reset them. They could have fixed the problem in Farming Simulator by making the cars phase out instead of stopping this keeps the animations going and doesn't lock up resources. It might not look real if a car runs over your sim and your sim is steal standing, but it will be worse if a car was stopped by your sim standing in the middle of the street, the next car would line up, and than you have a big animation mess which in some graphics cards would result in graphic card failures such as screen tears, when more than 1 animation is going on at once overlapping each other. Phasing the cars out allows them to drive through the sims and not affect game play. Phasing the Sims out would protentually lead to a sim having only part of their body on the street and the legs would come back into phase on the care or may not. So that is the main reason cars drive right through sims.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Having multitasking interactions to the extent of dropping other basic Sims game options doesn't impress me. See, I used the word "me". No one is asking for multitasking to be removed from the game, you've got the game just the way you all want, what's the problem with me not being impressed? Nothing. It's even more ridiculous for you to post I'm stupid because I don't hivemind and agree with all of your opinions, if that is the case then I am stupid and love it. You are not better because you accept every thing out of the SimGurus posts. Sheesh!

If multitasking is the ultimate goal for Sims 4 and it's the reason why babies are slaved to cribs or why we don't have *dun-dun-dun* "toddlers" at this time then really what do I get out of it? Clipping sims with clipping objects and they can't stay seated at the table because they have to get up and walk over where another sim is sleeping in order to eat their food. The sim is sleeping but that doesn't matter. I like they can listen to music while doing a task if a radio is nearby but EA/Maxis can't figure out the best way to add (not only or limited to) lounge chairs in the most efficient cost and labor to do it. For me, multitasking is not worth it. I am able to be more immersed in other series but that is my opinion. Yeah, just my opinion.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    This game it's so ridiculous. Excuses over excuses. At this point it was better that they never made this base game crap from the start. I really hope it will fail, and then I will laugh. They really need to stop treat us like dumb. There's not even one thing true about what he said. The sims 4 is limited because They want to keep it limited. It's a shame that there are things already in the code of the base game and they don't want to make them available. So what's next? A lounge chair that is gameplay object in a ep/gp?! Instead to make us angry with all this "sorry we can't", make relax on bed, pillow talk and shower woohoo as a real thing, not just unused codes
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Ok, if they add toddlers, should the toddler phase out while cooking or the food? Will the toddler get stuck to a plate and than get eaten like in TS 2 and 3, those videos of toddlers being eaten was frozen animations and the toddlers where still alive. Did ou eat your baby for breakfast or dinner type thing. The fact is there should be some multi tasking with toddlers and babies too if you want to make the Sims look real, but what to multi-task and what not too. The shower woohoo may be in the game code, but is the supported tech there to make it function. I believe someone said that the shower woohoo is there, but only as a option of they can't woohoo in a bed or some place else.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited April 2016
    This game it's so ridiculous. Excuses over excuses. At this point it was better that they never made this base game crap from the start. I really hope it will fail, and then I will laugh. They really need to stop treat us like dumb. There's not even one thing true about what he said. The sims 4 is limited because They want to keep it limited. It's a shame that there are things already in the code of the base game and they don't want to make them available. So what's next? A lounge chair that is gameplay object in a ep/gp?! Instead to make us angry with all this "sorry we can't", make relax on bed, pillow talk and shower woohoo as a real thing, not just unused codes

The Tweet said nothing about not being able to do something like a lounge chair, all it said was that a lounge chair would not be content added in a Stuff Pack and when you think about it that makes sense; Stuff Packs are cranked out very quickly and as a result I really, really doubt the development team are afforded the time to create brand new animations (including all the multitasking stuff) and on top of that creating that kind of animation is probably far more time-consuming and expensive than a Stuff Pack is worth. These guys are video game developers, I doubt they're on minimum wage salaries here. It makes far more sense for a lounge chair to be part of a Game Pack or Expansion Pack where new animations are EXPECTED.

As for TS4? I hope it goes on to have a long lifecycle like all of the other games within the franchise. People may not like it, but there are clearly enough fans of the game otherwise EA wouldn't be cranking out content like they are and it would be really sad if all those people lost out on a game they genuinely enjoy.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    @Darkslayer, he may have said lounge chair doesn't belong in a stuff pack and that may be true, but I wouldn't have built a game to start with where I wound up limiting myself. I don't expect the full multitasking suite of animations to be brought over to a lounge chair. That is the one place (out of many) I expect other Sims to leave my Sim alone. In the other games Sims can relax and speak at the same time while both are in lounge chairs. I don't expect any more than that.

What I don't want with a lounge chair is taking plates to eat while sitting on it, (I want my Sim to sun bathe and get a tan) or hug on it, or two share it and have a talk, like on the bed, or play a video game on their phone on it etc. I just want a darn, regular lawn chair/lounging chair. I don't expect them to do flips on them. And I think half of America agrees with me on this one. ETA: It's my opinion they make problems where there are none. Most people who have played the Sims don't want Sims socializing with their Sim while trying to sun bathe. We don't expect the Sims to play musical chairs with lounge chairs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I eat and drink on lounge chairs. I hope my Sims will be able to too.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    It's not necessary Luthienrising, no one expects it to behave like musical chairs do. We want sun bathing and relaxing and for Sims to leave other Sims alone and stop interrupting them so much. It functions just fine in the other games.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    It's not necessary Luthienrising, no one expects it to behave like musical chairs do. We want sun bathing and relaxing and for Sims to leave other Sims alone and stop interrupting them so much. It functions just fine in the other games.

What if the children want to eat ice creams on the lounge chairs ? B)
  • Options
    lol, let them eat cake.
  • Options

WE includes ME, and I want my Sims to be able to eat a snack, have a drink, read a book, use their phones, etc. in lounge chairs, not just to lie there like limps getting a tan. This is about Sims 4 expectations and desires, not other games.
  • Options
    *lumps. Ugh tiny phone keyboard
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @luthienrising, that's you and not most players who expect a lounge chair to be made for lounging. I would rather have one that has only a few animations like relax and eventually 'sun bathe..get burned or tan' than for it to take forever and have it behave exactly as a reg. dining chair. You already have an arm chair, dining chair and benches. Give a little and let's get on with it.

ETA: Sofas, love seats, ottomans, fountains where you can do all that...lounge chair means nothing more than lounge.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I assume lounge chairs will be in seasons! :smile:
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    *lumps. Ugh tiny phone keyboard

Well limp is appropriate also. :) I too would prefer they be able to do more than simply lounge.