Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wish The Sims 3 was 64 bit instead of 32 bit

Because I NEED a 64 bit Sims 3 right now! I've already fixed Maxis's poor programming and lazing coding problems but I really need 64 bit so my 16 GBs of ram can be put to good use. Is there a way to petition for this?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    They never really made one for TS4, except on the Mac side. What they appear to have done from what I understand is put up some kind of scaffolding on the same game engine that runs in 64-bit so that if RAM demand ever happens to wander a bit beyond 4 GB, the game won't crash, Error12, or whatever the equivalent is on that one. But the game engine isn't designed to call for that much routinely, so the benefit to actual gameplay is minimal at best.

What we really should be asking for is a reprogramming of the game that's meant to work in 64-bit.

Unfortunately, the chances of either happening with TS3 are pretty much none at this point. There is no TS3 development team at EA and hasn't been for over two years now, unless you count those in charge of Origin and the Store (different departments).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2016
    I dream of a 64-bit version of this game but it won't happen.

When I'm playing a big save with all packs, store, and I think 2gb worth of CC+mods on maxed graphic settings... The game crashes around the 4-5 hour mark (sometimes 6). Crash log analyzer tells me it's the game hitting the ram limit which I guessed. The way to prevent this in my case would be to save, close out, and launch the game again. Apparently I can't be bothered to do that.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    They never really made one for TS4, except on the Mac side. What they appear to have done from what I understand is put up some kind of scaffolding on the same game engine that runs in 64-bit so that if RAM demand ever happens to wander a bit beyond 4 GB, the game won't crash, Error12, or whatever the equivalent is on that one. But the game engine isn't designed to call for that much routinely, so the benefit to actual gameplay is minimal at best.

What we really should be asking for is a reprogramming of the game that's meant to work in 64-bit.

Unfortunately, the chances of either happening with TS3 are pretty much none at this point. There is no TS3 development team at EA and hasn't been for over two years now, unless you count those in charge of Origin and the Store (different departments).

It is probably one, of the only biggest regrets with TS3 that it is not 64 bit. The lack of Save Error 12 would reduce the amount of critism TS3 had next to nothing.

It's a shame because aside from Save Errors, TS3 is actually a close to perfect game.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited April 2016
    And we still have this little issue that was in play back in 2009. There are, amazingly enough, four 32-bit Microsoft operating systems currently in support. That will go down to three when Vista reaches its end of life next year, but still I shake my head in wonder whenever I see a dxdiag from a player who has Win 10, 32-bit.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    we need a 64 bit version we should protest? right guys
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @adamzaid I am with you on that one! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited April 2016
    yup sims 3 for the win @king_of_simcity7 and thanks for freind request!
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited April 2016
    I would love a 64bit version of the game as well. I'll even get more ram if I have to. My new destop is on its way just so I can play this game and a few others.
    giphy.gif

• KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    There is a program mentioned on this forum before called "large address aware" that will help some programs access more than 32-bits of memory. It doesnt work for me on Steam but other users mentioned it worked for them and helped them avoid certain out-of-memory errors.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Large_Address_Aware

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • barbaraluv86barbaraluv86 Posts: 131 Member
    igazor wrote: »

Then I can only hope for TS5 to be the upgraded versions of TS2 and TS3? That's a shame because I'm playing on an ASUS tower that can handle GTAV and The Witcher 3 on ultra settings with no lag at the SAME time but The Sims 3 I have to configure it to work great first with my computer in order to play. Should've been reprogrammed by Maxis a long 🐸🐸🐸🐸 time ago.
    edited April 2016
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    There is a program mentioned on this forum before called "large address aware" that will help some programs access more than 32-bits of memory. It doesnt work for me on Steam but other users mentioned it worked for them and helped them avoid certain out-of-memory errors.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Large_Address_Aware

No, that is not what LAA means. Before that, the game could only use 2 GB of RAM. With LAA, it can use 4 GB (actually it's really about 3.7 GB due to overhead).

TS3 has been Large Address Aware (LAA) all on its own with no intervention from the player needed since Patch 1.17, the one that came out alongside LateNite. This is around where it must have become obvious to EA that 2 GB of RAM usage with a full complement of EPs was just not going to cut it for Windows users, and the heavier EPs like Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF hadn't even come out yet. Where the LAA tweaks can help is when a player is on a 32-bit version of Windows and has 3-4 GB of RAM. A LAA application can otherwise run away with too much memory, thus leaving Windows unstable.

But we're talking about very fine lines of RAM usage for those on an already throttled system. With less that 1 GB "left over" for Windows, I would hope (and I usually don't go around saying this) that the player is on Win XP or else their system is just going to lock up for lack of resources. This is not something that is going to be helpful to anyone on a 64-bit operating system with plenty of RAM to go around that the game cannot use.

There are things we can all do to improve the game's performance. Getting it to use more RAM is not one of them.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ok, thank you for the clarification.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • gmlastergmlaster Posts: 5 New Member
    How We Can Get Sims 3 64-bit for Mac...soon

If you want to see Sims 3 made into a 64-bit game, the best way to do that is to contact Aspyr. If they think there's enough money to be made doing it, they'll release it. They recently redid SimCity 4 specifically for Mac OS and made a killing. Seriously, it rocks. I like it much better than the newer SimCity. I've been playing that game since the 90's and it just never gets old for me. Having it run natively and at lightning hot speeds is a dream come true. Not one single crash, even with every bit of my custom content loaded and everything on the highest graphic settings. And it's way faster than it ever was when I bought it as an EAGame.

Aspyr just released The Sims 2 redone natively for Mac OS. So why not tell everybody you know to start hitting them with mass emails begging them to do a 64-bit version of The Sims 3 + EPs and sell them on The Mac's App Store? I truly hate The Sims 4. TS3 is still the best. When it works, is just about the best game I've ever played. It's pretty near perfect but for that Error Code 12 thing. If it weren't for the crashes, I'd probably never go to bed. I'd spend most of my time playing. I know I'd be happy to pay pretty much whatever they asked for it, but they're usually good about selling the game and all EPs for far less than they originally sold for.

Seriously, the best bet for getting The Sims 3 fixed is through Aspyr.
    @gmlaster - I am sure that Aspyr would be thrilled to do up a proper Mac version of TS3, if EA contracted them to do it. Don't see how such a decision can come directly from Aspyr, the game is not their property to work with. It was EA's decision to do TS3 for Mac their own way and they unfortunately stuck with the Cider 2 GB restricted method all this time no matter how much howling was heard from the us, the customers.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I used to play EA/Bullfrog's Theme Hospital back in the day, and someone made an update for it that allows it to run in later versions of Windows. I'm not a programmer though, but I can imagine its a huge undertaking to reprogram a 32 bit into a 64 bit program.
  • XecerisEXecerisE Posts: 1 New Member
    I agree we deserve The Sims 3 64-bit for PC
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited February 2021
    64-bit TS3 complete collection would be ideal. I really want to play TS3, but the complete lack of sales has made it impossible for me to consider it.

Edit: just realised, ancient thread. i'll look next time.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there,

Since this thread had been inactive since 2016 and had come to a natural conclusion, I'm closing it as per our necroposting rules.

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top