Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help I've Tried EVERYTHING

Comments

• LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @SataiDelennn
    It usually works for me; maybe I can't quote your posts because you are a new member?
    You have created 64 posts (at time of commenting), have you also "liked" other member's posts? I think on the site, it advises you of how to be a member - for me, it happened about six or ninth months later because I wasn't a regular.

The carpool turns up every working day for the Sim if they are expected to attend work; you have to cancel the Sim going into the car if you want to take a holiday or use up maternity leave. Beware that if you did not have a Nanny, the Social Worker would call and take all of the children, toddlers and babies away - only teens remain.

If your Sim family do not visit Community Lots, "townies" turn up at their door usually around midnight - the bell wakes up the whole household - particularly annoying if you have "young ones"! If you can, visit the park or go to the shops for food (it's cheaper as no delivery charge) or shop for clothes. There are more options if you have Night Life.
    Hope this helps?

P.S. Looking forward to seeing your home with the courtyard. :)
    P.P.S. The challenge to teach all the kids everything would be a riot for a control freak like me! :)
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    LOL. I'm a control freak too (thanks mom), but I don't handle that much chaos well!

Yeah, maybe it's because I'm a new member. I don't know.

No, I don't use the "Like" button (I'm not a Facebook type person, so I don't really believe in that jazz). However, I have on occasion clicked on "insightful" and/or "awesome." I'm rather dismayed that it's either one or the other in choice because I've wanted at times to click both, and the system doesn't seem set up for that.

I wasn't aware you had to cancel the car out for maternity. I knew that for vacation unless you call work and tell them you won't be in, but I thought maternity would be handled like days off and just not show up to pick her up. Good to know for my next family since Joan is NOT having any more kids. Incidentally, lol, the wanting 10 kids aspiration went away, and now it's actually one of her fears to have another kid! LOL. Talk about change of heart!

Well, as soon as I'm able to post pics, I will do so because I'm eager to show off that house. I am proud of how it turned out.

@LadysimPlayer8 Once again, thank you for all your help! You've been invaluable in helping me figure some things out that either I'd forgotten, never thought of trying/doing, or simply never knew!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    The best way to get kids to have good friendships is by putting them on a chess table to play for a few hours. Also, the pool table and dart board... group activity toys for the toddlers, like the doll house and them playing with toys from the toy box together. I don't remember if the play table is in the base game but toddlers and children can play it together.

Toddlers playing with the rabbithead toy can socialize with Any Sim so either use the toddler as active Sim to invite another Sim to play or direct any Sim to play. Builds great relationships.
    I don't think I have a pool table option. Just the chess board. There MIGHT be a dart board.

@Rflong7 Thanks for the tip on the chess board and the rabbit head. I think they all don't like him because of the way he transitioned. They all had some decent skills and aspiration meters, and his was at rock bottom. I didn't know that or I wouldn't have let him transition yet. So, he's always in a bad mood, and is likely starting stuff I'm not seeing and pushing their buttons until they snap. I need to work on his aspirations, lol.
    @SataiDelennn
    The rabbit head is good to go the first time you place it on the floor for the toddler to use; however thereafter it usually moves 45 degrees when you instruct a toddler to use it - the toddler indicates that they can't use it - this is part of the fun! :)
    Click on it about three times and the toddler should be able to use it! :)
    Darren Dreamer had a dart board in his house and I am almost certain is not part of Night Life.
    @LadysimPlayer8 yeah, I'm pretty sure that I've seen the dartboard before. I wish I had the pool table, but I'm pretty sure that isn't an option. I would also love the drawing table for toddlers I saw in a pic someone posted in another thread. Oh well.

Thanks for the tip on the Rabbit's head. I haven't had that issue yet, but if I ever do, I'll do that. Usually in a situation where a Sim complains that they can't do something because it's not accessible, I usually go to Buy Mode, and move it and reset it so they can pick it up again, lol.

Oh, and a big thank you to whomever came up with the idea of putting a table right next to the mailbox! I'm going to be using that in ALL my Sim homes from now on! And I was having a problem with the kids putting their homework in Petey's room (he's the oldest kid) and piling it up on top of his homework, and I was repeatedly sorting through it all to put it on the correct desks in the correct bedrooms. Well, I'm happy to report that between doing this, and making them repeatedly sit at the same desk time after time, and asking their parents for homework assistance and going back to their respective desks, that ALL of them, no matter what floor their bedroom is on, now takes their homework to their own room and puts it on their own desk. Getting them to actually DO their homework (outside of Petey) is another story, but they're either usually too tired, or in a really bad mood because of lack of fun. Poor Charlie! He's so far behind in his schoolwork! And Jeremy WANTS to do well, but keeps getting low on his meters.

Oh, I took a look at Charlie's personality... No wonder his brothers hate him most of the time! He has ONE bar on the Grouchy/Nice scale! YIKES! I really messed him up as a baby, poor kid! His mom is CONSTANTLY encouraging him to be more outgoing and NICE! Lol.

They all seem to be neat freaks, though. One or more of them is always making a bed, or cleaning the tub or sink, etc. I love that about them!
    The quickest and easiest way for any Sim to gain fun is to View a picture/statue. They can do it together and gain social. 3 times should fill most fun.

I thought i read you had nightlife which I also thought came with a pool table. :)
    @Rflong7
    The Pool Table originally came with University Life but there is another in Freetime.
    When I started playing Sims2, I opted to buy The Sims2 base game and Night Life. I remember thinking how odd that there was an empty room in Rodney's Hideout downtown? It wasn't until a few months later, I bought and installed University Life (after uninstalling the current game), that objects such as the pool table, the gadget machine and coffee bars turned up in my downtown Community Lot! :)
    @Rflong7
    The Pool Table originally came with University Life but there is another in Freetime.
    When I started playing Sims2, I opted to buy The Sims2 base game and Night Life. I remember thinking how odd that there was an empty room in Rodney's Hideout downtown? It wasn't until a few months later, I bought and installed University Life (after uninstalling the current game), that objects such as the pool table, the gadget machine and coffee bars turned up in my downtown Community Lot! :)

I remember the one that came with University and I remember the baristas that came with University- the other pool table must have come with Apartments or Freetime. The last couple of expansions kinda combine in my memory because I didn't like them as much. :)
    Yes, I've been playing so long they kinda join in my memories.

> @Rflong7 said:
    > The quickest and easiest way for any Sim to gain fun is to View a picture/statue. They can do it together and gain social. 3 times should fill most fun.
    >
    > I thought i read you had nightlife which I also thought came with a pool table. :)

Nope, I only have the base game. I do have University Expansion which I bought at the same time as Sims2, but I never opened it. I am curious about it, and if it has to run off the disc like Sims 2, and if so, then how do the two combine so I can send my current teen off to college instead of just getting a job after high school, etc.

Oh, I bought my adult Sims the Elixir of Life, and had them both drink it because they were at the gold level of aspirations (or so I thought), and Joan added days to her life, but apparently Byron's meter level slipped, and I didn't realize it, because it took precious days from him. So I had to get him back up to gold quickly and have him re-drink it twice to get him to match Joan's life span. Then I quickly used the cheat to turn the aging off (well, I did that to prevent my last two toddlers from aging up because after aging poor Charlie up too soon, he's a right PITA sometimes, and I don't want the last two to be the same). I also didn't realize that teens can drink it too.

Oh, before I forget, the quickest way I've found for a moody Sim to gain fun time in their meter is to play the pinball machines. Funny how I can get them two pinball machines, but no pool table.

I also spoke too soon when I was boasting pridefully about my kid Sims putting their homework in their own rooms on their own desks. They've stopped doing that and keep putting it in Petey's (the oldest) room. I don't know if they think he's going to do it for them or what, but I keep moving it to their respective desks, lol.

AND, I only just noticed that the youngest kid (not toddler), Charlie, has his dad's ears! When I created Byron, I gave him alien ears and green eyes, and Charlie inherited both!
    edited April 2016
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > The quickest and easiest way for any Sim to gain fun is to View a picture/statue. They can do it together and gain social. 3 times should fill most fun.
    >
    > I thought i read you had nightlife which I also thought came with a pool table. :)

Nope, I only have the base game. I do have University Expansion which I bought at the same time as Sims2, but I never opened it. I am curious about it, and if it has to run off the disc like Sims 2, and if so, then how do the two combine so I can send my current teen off to college instead of just getting a job after high school, etc.

Oh, I bought my adult Sims the Elixir of Life, and had them both drink it because they were at the gold level of aspirations (or so I thought), and Joan added days to her life, but apparently Byron's meter level slipped, and I didn't realize it, because it took precious days from him. So I had to get him back up to gold quickly and have him re-drink it twice to get him to match Joan's life span. Then I quickly used the cheat to turn the aging off (well, I did that to prevent my last two toddlers from aging up because after aging poor Charlie up too soon, he's a right PITA sometimes, and I don't want the last two to be the same). I also didn't realize that teens can drink it too.

Oh, before I forget, the quickest way I've found for a moody Sim to gain fun time in their meter is to play the pinball machines. Funny how I can get them two pinball machines, but no pool table.

I also spoke too soon when I was boasting pridefully about my kid Sims putting their homework in their own rooms on their own desks. They've stopped doing that and keep putting it in Petey's (the oldest) room. I don't know if they think he's going to do it for them or what, but I keep moving it to their respective desks, lol.

AND, I only just noticed that the youngest kid (not toddler), Charlie, has his dad's ears! When I created Byron, I gave him alien ears and green eyes, and Charlie inherited both!

The expansion just adds to your base game- like adding salt to fries, they're still fries but now they have salt. :lol:
    You'll have to start the game with the University disk, is the only start up change.

but, backup your game if for any reason you don't want University, you wonn't be able to use the neighborhoods back to the Base game, iirc.

And you don't want the Ultimate Collection? They still give it out to people who are having problems with their game... :)

The game will give a popup saying your teen is growing up soon and they can go to Uni if they want. Which helps to not forget. The phone and computer and neighborhood screens have options to go to Uni. *Make sure to add 1 or more Universities before they can go. At the neighborhood screen top. There's also some ingame tutorials.

Also, University has Cell Phones and so much more. It opened the game up for me- I was rather disappointed in TS2 at release.. :)
    OK, forgive me. I'm not really tech savvy. How do I backup my game if I want to uninstall University or whatever? I only have one disc drive on my system, and I don't want any glitches occurring if both need to have discs in at the same time.

And no, I really don't want UC. I just want to keep things relatively simple right now. I am afraid UC would send me on an overload, and I'd get too frustrated and shut the whole thing down and not look back. I know that sounds weird, but then, well, I am weird, lol. Basically, I don't like complicated because it just makes me want to crawl in a corner and shut down. So, yeah, how I'm managing with the base Sims 2 with all the frustrations I've had (as you all have seen, lol) and I'm still functioning? No idea. Maybe I'm just afraid of all the extra stuff and figuring out how it all would work.
    It takes only 1 disk to run the game- the newest (or in order of release and not bought) which would be your University disk.

No problem. I can understand playing it slow. :)

http://modthesims.info/article.php?t=138900
    Huh, so if that's the case, and everything is technically stored on my OS, why then do I need the disc to run the game at all? I've got another graphic and in-depth game (Dawn of Discovery) which I don't need the disc to run everything off of.

And if that's the case that once I install the University expansion, I can run everything off of there, what about my regular Sims 2 neighborhoods? Can I access them through the University expansion disc? I love complex games, I just don't understand them!!!!

And so then would my base Sims 2 disc be the backup copy you're talking about?
    OK, I'm reading the article(s) in the link you provided. If I have a extra hard drive (I am a writer, so I use it to make hard copies of my stories in case (and I hope this never happens!) something goes wrong on my computer, and I had a *cough* copy of Photoshop, and so I have some pictures I manipulated and pictures I created and avatars I created which I have saved there, so is that where I'd save a copy of the Sims 2 files?

I'm sorry. I have a creative mind, so creative I understand. Technological, logical, or mechanical, I don't understand.

And thank you VERY MUCH for your help, Rflong7!

Oh, and I looked at my portable HD, and it's 250GB total, and since I only use it to save my stories and pictures, I'm guessing that I still have enough room to back up the Sims 2?
    edited April 2016
    Expansions ADD to the base game, they don't replace it- added, expand.

The Disks are used to start the game because of an Authorization program- saying the game isn't stolen. That's why the newest is needed- plus the new one has the update... I think. You might need to download and patch the game.

You only download and install the patch for the game and expasion you have installed. None others... Base game and if you install University, that one After you install it.
    http://simsvip.com/sims-games/patches/

You can move your save to your other drive. I have one, too. :)
    OK, now I'm really confused. So, once I install University, do I run everything off of that, including the Sims 2 game by using the University disc, or do I go back to Sims 2 and run everything off of that?

And yeah, I had to register my copy of Dawn of Discovery, and once I did that, I didn't need the disc anymore.
    @SataiDelennn
    Before installing University Life, copy the folder EA Games in My Documents and paste in another location such as your portable hard drive.
    Then install University Life and from then on, use the University Life disk to launch your Sims2 game.
    If you don't like University Life, you can uninstall it. Paste the back up you took into My Documents and you have restored your game.
    Hope this helps?
    Good luck with your game! :)
    > @LadysimPlayer8 said:
    > @SataiDelennn
    > Before installing University Life, copy the folder EA Games in My Documents and paste in another location such as your portable hard drive.
    > Then install University Life and from then on, use the University Life disk to launch your Sims2 game.
    > If you don't like University Life, you can uninstall it. Paste the back up you took into My Documents and you have restored your game.
    > Hope this helps?
    > Good luck with your game! :)

Yes, thank you! That helps! I just wanted to know which disc I was supposed to use to start the game up each time.
    But... that's what I said twice. :)
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited April 2016
    @SataiDelennn in order to get member status you need - I think it's 30 - likes. On your posts. It's hard to get in the Sims 2 boards because people don't seem to use the like buttons much out here. I'll see how many of your posts I can drop a like onto :)

EDIT: And there you go, membership :) You've been active enough to have earned it by now!
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    But... that's what I said twice. :)

I'm sorry, Rflong7. Sometimes my brain can't wrap around what someone is saying, the way they're saying it. That's why I kept asking you questions, because I wasn't understanding what you were saying. I understood UE is an expansion and enhances the content, but you hadn't directly said that once it's installed, that's the disc I constantly need to use to run the Sims 2, instead of directly using the Sims 2 disc like I do now.

@Frogprincess_q

Thank you SO much! I am so happy! Now I can FINALLY share some of my pics (which I just did in another thread because I've been DYING to share the pics of my nanny setting herself on fire and requiring the fireman to put her out because the kids' father only stood and watched, and then grabbed one of his kids and ran out of the house, lol).
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    You're welcome. You've been an active participant for plenty of time, but as I said, noone clicks da buttons down here ;) I look forward to seeing your pictures XD

Also, I think that you will like University. Even if you don't send your sims off for an education it adds other fun things like hanging out. Going to University is a great way to set your sims up for success later though (as in real life) and it adds playable time to their lifespan.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
    You're welcome. You've been an active participant for plenty of time, but as I said, noone clicks da buttons down here ;) I look forward to seeing your pictures XD

Also, I think that you will like University. Even if you don't send your sims off for an education it adds other fun things like hanging out. Going to University is a great way to set your sims up for success later though (as in real life) and it adds playable time to their lifespan.

I don't worry too much about this because I use the aging/non-aging cheat to keep them young and from dying (unless they have an accident, and then I just reload the latest saved game to "bring them back" lol). The other stuff sounds interesting though.
    @SataiDelennn
    I appreciate using "aging off" is good when you are learning to play Sims2 but it prevents the younger Sims in the household from growing up to the next stage of their life.
    You can also use the Aspiration Reward "Elixir of Life" which adds 3 days to the Sim's Life provided they have gold or platinum status when they drink it! :)
    If you give your Sims the Elixir of Life when that is not the case, the drink will age them by 3 days - so beware - they might even die. :(
    Personally I only give the Elixir of Life to Mortimer Goth and Olive Specter because I want to play them for a bit longer than the few days they have remaining - but I only permit them one bottle! :)