Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So I Just Got Sims 2,Where Do I Start :P

Imagamerkitty12Imagamerkitty12 Posts: 111 Member
Last Night I had a Nice Little Chat With an EA Support Person, and they Granted TS2 ultimate Collection to My account and Well...I have NO idea of anything about this game,So I'm Going in Blind...Is there anything I Should Know in Particular?

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    YEY!

Well...I personally don't know where to start...TS2 has sooooo many things XD The best would be to go do some research on a wiki or guide. If you have trouble with the graphics we can help you change some settings in the graphicsrule file.

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-increase-resolution-guide/

Also if you have trouble with shadows, on that same file, to every entry for "simshadows on" change the on to off and I would advise to change every "simpleterrain true" to false. :)

The most important thing is when you start a new game in a new town do not forget to click on the top left buttons to add all the cool neighborhoods to the game. Also don't forget to spend the lifetime award points :) Which are in the aspiration reward page I believe. I'm sure you can get there :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Sigzy05 Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Sigzy05 Thanks a bunch!

Also, don't forget to change screenshot settings for a bit of a better quality. You can find your screenshots by going in Documents-EA Games -Sims 2 Ultimate Collection - Neighborhoods (select one, they have weird names find the one you are playing) - Storytelling. Your screenshots are somewhere there. :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Thank you So Much!!!That's Really helpful Since I take a ton of screenshots!
  • Options
    meggera007meggera007 Posts: 382 Member
    Definitely read a bit about the game from a guide first, because there's SO much to do so you may get a little overwhelmed, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

But welcome to the world of Sims 2! It's a lovely game, one of my favorites in the Sims series by far. :)
  • Options
    @meggera007 Thanks I Will!!
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sims' needs are much harder to manage if you're used to TS3 and TS4. If you go to the Rewards section of your UI (far right, I think 2nd from bottom), you'll find Aspiration Rewards just to the right. These came with one of the EPs. Click on that, and the lefthand column will show rewards that reduce your sim's need for food, bathing, toilet, and even sleep. They'll still be harder to manage, but not quite so bad.
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I'd suggest rather than reading a wiki, I'd watch a let's play on youtube to ease some of the overwhelmidness of jumping straight in. I did that before each new ts4 EP to see if they were worth buying. There are plenty of good sims 2 let's plays just to give you the initial feel of it.
  • Options
    > @cleo00 said:
    > I'd suggest rather than reading a wiki, I'd watch a let's play on youtube to ease some of the overwhelmidness of jumping straight in. I did that before each new ts4 EP to see if they were worth buying. There are plenty of good sims 2 let's plays just to give you the initial feel of it.

Thank you I'll Check out a couple let's Plays!!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I started sims 2 many years ago but photographing a sim unclogging the toilet - because it takes so long, and the movements they make made me laugh so much I ended up with a mini library of such pictures.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    I always start with University. Make a sim and send them to the dorms. Have fun.
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I started sims 2 many years ago but photographing a sim unclogging the toilet - because it takes so long, and the movements they make made me laugh so much I ended up with a mini library of such pictures.

I've got a really weird child-Sim. I caught him playing in the tub. I mean, we're talking plugging his nose with his fingers and closing his eyes while sticking his other arm in the air, and shimmying around. Priceless.

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I saw my TS3 cat playing with the water in the toilet the other day. I photo'd that as well.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member

I've got a really weird child-Sim. I caught him playing in the tub. I mean, we're talking plugging his nose with his fingers and closing his eyes while sticking his other arm in the air, and shimmying around. Priceless.

It's even funnier when you get an adult sim "rowing" the bathtub :lol: There are so many actions that I wish the player could control, but a lot of the most priceless ones are ones that your sim will do when you let them do their own thing for a while. I'm slowly learning to not micromanage my Sims 2 sims so much.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options

It's even funnier when you get an adult sim "rowing" the bathtub :lol: There are so many actions that I wish the player could control, but a lot of the most priceless ones are ones that your sim will do when you let them do their own thing for a while. I'm slowly learning to not micromanage my Sims 2 sims so much.

Lord, I wish I could learn to just let go and allow them to do their own thing. Unfortunately, half the time, they won't do basic things (but it was pointed out to me that none of the Sims seem to do what you or I would logically think should be done [i.e. flushing a toilet, washing hands AFTER flushing toilets, taking showers before the meter reaches the desperation stage, etc.]), so I wind up totally micromanaging them until it drives me insane and I have to take a break from them! However, I find that with 7 people in one household (five being children ranging from teen down to toddlers) it becomes hard to micromanage them all, and that's when I usually find the toddlers in the toilet, the kids in the bathtubs doing everything BUT bathing, and the teen stomping the flowerbeds in some unknown frustration.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    It goes against my nature too :lol: I had a go at an asylum challenge a while back though and it was quite entertaining. Amusingly enough, it was my one controlled character that was having the worst time of it. The other sims were just lazing about and washing themselves in the sink and not doing anything that wasn't fun. Although 2 of them somehow started feuding and would not leave each other alone. So much poking and slapping and crying.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    When starting over with a neighborhood in Sims 2, I usually spend one or two week(s) preparing the neighborhood including adding sub-neighborhoods.

A few suggestions:
    1. Add blue gadget kiosks to at least one community lot. MP3-players, cell phones and handheld games are bought from those kiosks which are actually vending machines.
    2. When looking into each community lot, you might consider adding restaurants or food stalls as alternatives to grills. Add a few games for intertainment, too. You might even add e.g. mats for fire dancers or a break dancers.
    3. College is useful in several ways as you can send teenage townies, paper delivery persons and some clerks to college to turn them into playable sims. You can even send teenage townies from vacation destinations.
    4. Add dish washers to community lots with grills as well as hotels at vacation destinations. Otherwise, the sims tend to wash their dishes in the bathroom sink.
    5. Add or build community lots for ice skating and roller skating as some sims might like going there from time to time.
    6. Make room for a driveway for a car when building new residental houses.
    7. Some sims are found in the so-called household bin. You might consider moving them into the neighborhood.

That's what I can think of now.
  • Options
    When starting over with a neighborhood in Sims 2, I usually spend one or two week(s) preparing the neighborhood including adding sub-neighborhoods.

A few suggestions:
    1. Add blue gadget kiosks to at least one community lot. MP3-players, cell phones and handheld games are bought from those kiosks which are actually vending machines.
    2. When looking into each community lot, you might consider adding restaurants or food stalls as alternatives to grills. Add a few games for entertainment, too. You might even add e.g. mats for fire dancers or a break dancers.
    3. College is useful in several ways as you can send teenage townies, paper delivery persons and some clerks to college to turn them into playable sims. You can even send teenage townies from vacation destinations.
    4. Add dish washers to community lots with grills as well as hotels at vacation destinations. Otherwise, the sims tend to wash their dishes in the bathroom sink.
    5. Add or build community lots for ice skating and roller skating as some sims might like going there from time to time.
    6. Make room for a driveway for a car when building new residential houses.
    7. Some sims are found in the so-called household bin. You might consider moving them into the neighborhood.

That's what I can think of now.

That would be great if it all came with the base game. However, I have to work with what came with the game when making community lots. So, I'm doing the best I can with what I have.

I do have the University expansion pack, but I haven't installed it.

I made a kind of free arcade using pinball machines, the dart board, and that weird game available to the household, and then I added a couple of T.V. areas in the back. I put in a couple of counters and a cash register to make it look more authentic, but the register is useless with nothing to charge people for/no ability to charge people.
  • Options
    That would be great if it all came with the base game. However, I have to work with what came with the game when making community lots. So, I'm doing the best I can with what I have.

Sure. The question was related to "TS2 ultimate Collection" which includes all expansion and stuff packs.

The blue gadget kiosk came with University, and once that expansion is installed, some if not all sims would like the gadgets from the kiosk.
    University also came with the option of merging households meaning moving sims in with another household.
    Restaurant objects and cars came with Nightlife (I think).
    Skating rinks came with Seasons.
    Three food stands and mats for fire dancers came with Bon Voyage. One food stand and a kind of mat for break dancing came with FreeTime.
  • Options
    KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,067 Member
    How about starting in Pleasantview? Maybe mess with Don a bit? :P He is the reason of Bella's demise anyways!
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    I think if you are learning to play it is best to play with a single Sim until you get the hang of looking after them. :)
    As KatNipples suggests Don Lothario in Pleasantview is a good shout - he has the Romance Aspiration and I usually give him the Popular Secondary Aspiration as he gets along with most residents. Downside though - too many ladies he ends up cheating on - and you have to train him to flush the toilet - in fact encourage to use the toilet as it is not uncommon for him to relieve his bladder in the bath or shower. :(
    What I do love about Don is that even when he is furious with another Sim, he may steal the newspaper but he never kicks the dustbin. o:)
  • Options
    KatNipples wrote: »
    How about starting in Pleasantview? Maybe mess with Don a bit? :P He is the reason of Bella's demise anyways!

Still, University might be useful at some point. A few spare private houses might be useful, too. :)
    With University, Lilith Pleasant might be sent right away as her "terrible" grade is just enough for going to college but not enough for additional scholarships. From my point of view, a dorm at college might be a better choice than running away from home.
    If you would like to send Dustin Broke to college, too, you might send him together with Angela Broke, but not to the same household as Lilith as Angela and Lilith are not friends at all.

Messing with Don might be a bit complicated as he has more female lovers already who are also involved with other households in the neighborhood. Nina Caliente lives with Dina Caliente in the Caliente household. The maid Kaylynn is a lover of the male adult of the Caliente family, too. Nina's housemade Dina would like Mortimer Goth to move in and Nina to move out.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I would start with a Single Sim, let them get a job, visit community lots, use the Matchmaker to get a date (phone/services iirc), make some friends, earn some skills, and then maybe find a partner... get used to playing 2 Sims for a little while before adding a baby. :)

Work on a house... it's fun, too.
  • Options

Sure. The question was related to "TS2 ultimate Collection" which includes all expansion and stuff packs.

The blue gadget kiosk came with University, and once that expansion is installed, some if not all sims would like the gadgets from the kiosk.
    University also came with the option of merging households meaning moving sims in with another household.
    Restaurant objects and cars came with Nightlife (I think).
    Skating rinks came with Seasons.
    Three food stands and mats for fire dancers came with Bon Voyage. One food stand and a kind of mat for break dancing came with FreeTime.

OH, I see, sorry.
  • Options
    KatNipples wrote: »

Still, University might be useful at some point. A few spare private houses might be useful, too. :)
    With University, Lilith Pleasant might be sent right away as her "terrible" grade is just enough for going to college but not enough for additional scholarships. From my point of view, a dorm at college might be a better choice than running away from home.
    If you would like to send Dustin Broke to college, too, you might send him together with Angela Broke, but not to the same household as Lilith as Angela and Lilith are not friends at all.

Oh, but that could kind of be fun too, because you could see if they either eventually work to become friends, or wind up trying to kill each other, couldn't you?

@LadysimPlayer8

OK, THAT'S why they kick the dustbin? I had someone I didn't recognize (but then, I don't always pay attention to who's who if they're not part of the immediate household, lol) and it was night time, but I don't think too late at night, and this guy came walking by the front of the house, passed the garbage can, turned around, and angrily kicked the bin, and I said, well, OK, I won't repeat what I said, but I was really miffed at the guy and couldn't understand why he did it. But if he did it because he's angry with one of my family, then I can kind of understand it. There was a point where I was not allowing my family to speak to anyone or visit with anyone, and making them send people they brought home with them from work or school away because I wanted them to focus on their own needs, not worry about guests. If someone called and asked for someone in the house, I made whoever answer tell the person on the phone that whoever they were asking for wasn't available. My household was pretty frustrated for a while, lol. Now that there's only two toddlers left, I still don't let them have friends over, but I've got it under control enough that I'll let them talk on the phone again if they're not sleeping, at work, or at school. I've got Byron (the father) calling Sims again to build up his friendships so that he can get his next promotion. I'll work on Joan (the mother), next. Then maybe I'll work on Petey (the oldest boy) to get his grades back up and get his skills built up more so that I can get him into private school (which he really wants to do). After that, I'll probably think more seriously about installing University Expansion (It's a miracle! lol ;) )