Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE SIMS ONLINE IS BACK!

13...Next

Comments

• KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    Where can I get this magnificent beauty?
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Evil_One wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Yeah, watch as EA squash it flat. Any time someone tries to bring out something related to one of their products, it's rapidly hit be a cease and desist order... Even if said product is VERY old and is no longer supported.

This is something that did happen to several TSO projects in the past... the TSO Restoration project had gotten really far, and then was indeed issued a cease and desist order.This project... is a bit special. Now, I'm no coder or programmer, or anything like that, but the way it was explained to me on the FreeSO forums, was,

"1. EA doesn't care, so long as noone is earning money off of the game's assets. If they did care, they would have let us know a long time ago. 2. Even if they did care, there's not much they can do. Writing and distributing code to interact with fileformats has never been illegal, nor will it ever be."

The most basic way I've heard it explained, is that they are writing code to interact with EA's fileformats, which is also supposed to be legal. I don't know anything about the true legality of it, I just know what I've been informed of. The main developer of this project does not seem to be worried about legal issues with EA.

As it stands, the game is meant to be free. Free to own and play, even with a designated server.

Those are the plans for now, that is.

Also, the developers have seen this and;

a) Not closed the thread to discourage people from trying to obtain the game
    b) Even moved the thread to Sims discussions.

They seem fine with it.

Ahem, you were saying?

What? It is still in The Sims Discussions and not deleted..........
    edited April 2016

Link is in the video description ^^
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member

Link is in the video description ^^

EEEEE! I missed this game! :D Memories... :heart:
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I loved Sims Online! I understand that some players aren't for this, but this is really exciting for me. I remember when I first played Sims online, I was 16. I met some pretty awesome people and it was so fun to go onto a lot to skill and just chat with everyone while you did the "not so fun" stuff (skilling), lol. Then I remember getting a job as a waitress. and holy crud, it was so hard to do! lol. Especially as you got promoted.

BUT SO FUN. D:

There was also the dj, the dancer, and the factory job, you had to take care of the machines, or something, I can't remember. But I think it will be a lot of fun to play the game with other players, my little sister and I will probably make a server and build a house together. I think it'll be great to have something to share with her.

I wish that Sims 4 had something "similar" ish.. at least where I could invite her to a "lan server" ish thing for just me and my sister and we could make our Sims and then houses and then we could build our world together. But it's okay, I don't need this type of feature, but I think being able to do something like that would be nice to share with her. She used to be really into Sims, but she doesn't like that Sims 4 doesn't have toddlers, or many expansion packs yet.. so it's been kind of lonely playing by myself here lately. :( lol. I miss having something like that we can talk about together.
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

It's KPopp :D I watch all her vids like..2 seconds after they come out and I love her streams, she is awesome! <3<3<3

Her humor is natural and amazing. Everything she does is entertaining.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Yeah, watch as EA squash it flat. Any time someone tries to bring out something related to one of their products, it's rapidly hit be a cease and desist order... Even if said product is VERY old and is no longer supported.

This is something that did happen to several TSO projects in the past... the TSO Restoration project had gotten really far, and then was indeed issued a cease and desist order.This project... is a bit special. Now, I'm no coder or programmer, or anything like that, but the way it was explained to me on the FreeSO forums, was,

"1. EA doesn't care, so long as noone is earning money off of the game's assets. If they did care, they would have let us know a long time ago. 2. Even if they did care, there's not much they can do. Writing and distributing code to interact with fileformats has never been illegal, nor will it ever be."

The most basic way I've heard it explained, is that they are writing code to interact with EA's fileformats, which is also supposed to be legal. I don't know anything about the true legality of it, I just know what I've been informed of. The main developer of this project does not seem to be worried about legal issues with EA.

As it stands, the game is meant to be free. Free to own and play, even with a designated server.

They seem fine with it.

Ahem, you were saying?

The Sims Discussions, is where threads are sent to die.
    raw
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

They seem fine with it.

Ahem, you were saying?

I thought that was Sims 4 feedback? Or it's just that this isn't about TS4 and is about The Sims Online, an offshoot of The Sims, which is what this section is for?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png

They seem fine with it.

Ahem, you were saying?

But it's a thread about The Sims....
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited June 2016
    Sadly I won't be playing this as the people who made this have a problem with people showing videos of their project. I was going to be nice and bring exposure to their project but they have a problem with Let's Players bringing exposure to their project. So I bid them adieu.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited November 2016
    Wow I only just heard about this today! lol that is totally retro, oddly I don't remember it looking that bad when I played it. Anyways I can't remember what caused the game to fail so badly, might've been because every lot became a megalot and then EA added rules to limit lots to certain themes that annoyed players who spent hours upon hours grinding to make their super large lots that were now pointless? Or that the game developed a bad reputation for encouraging online ERP? Hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm.... aha!
  • WhatsHisHandleWhatsHisHandle Posts: 75 Member
    Oh my goodness, REALLY? I want so badly to check this out! My hub and I always have a hard time determining what to play together, but a revamp/boot of TSO would be the absolute best thing in the world.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    So much for freeso. 28wm8ib.jpg
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    So hyped for this! Never got a chance to play The Sims Online when it was a thing.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited January 2017
    Based on EA content, I'm sure they will shutdown this project. Royalties must be paid.
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    Based on EA content, I'm sure they will shutdown this project. Royalties must be paid.
    Fair use policy
    On its own, the FreeSO client does not display any copyrighted material, and is not distributed with it. The game files are provided by the user, and the client simply reads the files the user provides. In this sense, our replacement client is essentially a glorified The Sims Online™ file reader, as all original graphics, sounds, UI layouts and game objects are simply read and simulated by the client.

The game server transmits metadata generated from the execution of these scripts (avatar money values, lot/object state, avatar appearances, hash of game files for version identification) but does not transmit any copyrighted material either.

We will not accept any code or content that violates the policy above in our repo.

Anyway, it seems that the beta has been delayed for a while:
    http://freeso.org/surprising-results-notes-from-the-ashes-of-my-servers/
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    It's still running lmao.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    They have server issues much like EA had with that game. They want the players to build and operate servers for the game. LOL. Too funny. If you are gonna steal something - you'd think they'd at least make it work.

But truthfully Sims online was a big bore fest and was often hacked when EA ran it - can you imagine users running it? Waste of time no matter who runs it anyway. In theory things are never as good as they pretend to be or are remembered to be - providing you even liked any of the 4 versions EA put out - mainly because there is always some people out there that just want to hack everything and steal through life. Keep in mind if hackers could take over things like accounts and your personal things even through EA's security way back then - are you really willing to join this - set up your own servers and lay out all your personal info out there with no security? That is crazy and believe me not worth it. The minute you download or even join this site puts you out there for all the world to get your info. Believe me it is easy to get hacked - it is not easy or cheap to get the mess fixed - on top of it - it's expensive and could ruin your life.

You see how few members they have - that's because most people know better then even try it - seeing all it takes is a single download or joining. No amount of deleting will remove that - keep that in mind. (It will remove it on your end - but your info will remain out there forever....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• AdrianT95AdrianT95 Posts: 9 New Member
    I love FreeSO! <3 I like playing online with other people and this game is very fun! :D My name in FreeSO is: AdrianTSims ;) :blush: