Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE SIMS ONLINE IS BACK!

Comments

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Yeah, watch as EA squash it flat. Any time someone tries to bring out something related to one of their products, it's rapidly hit be a cease and desist order... Even if said product is VERY old and is no longer supported.
    raw
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    TSO was one of the major flops in the sims franchise.
    How can we get the game to try it?

It actually did pretty well. You have to consider that EA supported it for 5 years. That's a full Sims game cycle.
    Also, they 🐸🐸🐸🐸 down SimCity just after a year and that sold 2 million. So it had to have done well.
    @Evil_One wrote: »
    Yeah, watch as EA squash it flat. Any time someone tries to bring out something related to one of their products, it's rapidly hit be a cease and desist order... Even if said product is VERY old and is no longer supported.

Well the original developers for SimsOnline made their own game the exact same and EA did nothing. So considering SimsOnline was also open source (players could add what they wanted to it) I feel like it won't be an issue for EA.

Also, if people get into it again, it could be free press for The Sims games.
  • Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    I ADORE Kelly's (KPopp) videos. She does some really funny stuff both with Sims and other games. I never played Sims online, might be interesting. lol
    @Kim5496 wrote: »
    I ADORE Kelly's (KPopp) videos. She does some really funny stuff both with Sims and other games. I never played Sims online, might be interesting. lol

Kelly has this sense of humour that you never realised you needed until you watch her.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    LOL this looks like fun, totally going to check it out later! Thanks for posting. :lol:
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Evil_One wrote: »

Well the original developers for SimsOnline made their own game the exact same and EA did nothing. So considering SimsOnline was also open source (players could add what they wanted to it) I feel like it won't be an issue for EA.

Also, if people get into it again, it could be free press for The Sims games.

It could also draw attention and profits away from EA, and that's something they'll never allow.

raw
  • Bunny4UBunny4U Posts: 45 Member
    WOW! never knew there was something like that... thanks for sharing!
  • greenmorekgreenmorek Posts: 63 Member
    Yea i saw this the other day, it doesnt look like the game is anywhere near ready to be played.
    nOw9z6f.gif
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member

It actually did pretty well. You have to consider that EA supported it for 5 years. That's a full Sims game cycle.
    Also, they 🐸🐸🐸🐸 down SimCity just after a year and that sold 2 million. So it had to have done well.

It didnt do well to EA
    this is from wiki
    EA expressed disappointment in sales over the lifetime of the game. One of the main criticisms of the game was the inability to create customized content, such as was achieved by its competitor Second Life. The Sims Online was widely seen as a failed attempt to port the single-player game to an online, multiplayer environment.[5]

The decision to shut down so quickly after re-branding has led to speculation that the closure was planned prior to the re-branded release for the purpose of mitigating the damage to the public image of the name and brand of The Sims Online.[5]

Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif

It didnt do well to EA
    this is from wiki
    EA expressed disappointment in sales over the lifetime of the game. One of the main criticisms of the game was the inability to create customized content, such as was achieved by its competitor Second Life. The Sims Online was widely seen as a failed attempt to port the single-player game to an online, multiplayer environment.[5]

The decision to shut down so quickly after re-branding has led to speculation that the closure was planned prior to the re-branded release for the purpose of mitigating the damage to the public image of the name and brand of The Sims Online.[5]

Still can't have sold that bad for them to support it for 5 years. It probably was a flop at the time considering how massive The Sims 1 & 2 were.
    For example, there have been other Sims games with online support that have shut down after a few months because they flopped.

EA dropped SimsSocial and SimCity after 12 months...
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    So curious if I wanna wait until they get it more updated or try it now. I LOVED TSO SO SO much!
    So curious if I wanna wait until they get it more updated or try it now. I LOVED TSO SO SO much!

It actually runs really well if you watch the second time she enters the server. The first time there was sever issues.
  • fruitchew87fruitchew87 Posts: 114 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

This is something that did happen to several TSO projects in the past... the TSO Restoration project had gotten really far, and then was indeed issued a cease and desist order.This project... is a bit special. Now, I'm no coder or programmer, or anything like that, but the way it was explained to me on the FreeSO forums, was,

"1. EA doesn't care, so long as noone is earning money off of the game's assets. If they did care, they would have let us know a long time ago. 2. Even if they did care, there's not much they can do. Writing and distributing code to interact with fileformats has never been illegal, nor will it ever be."

The most basic way I've heard it explained, is that they are writing code to interact with EA's fileformats, which is also supposed to be legal. I don't know anything about the true legality of it, I just know what I've been informed of. The main developer of this project does not seem to be worried about legal issues with EA.

As it stands, the game is meant to be free. Free to own and play, even with a designated server.

Those are the plans for now, that is.
    Visit my YouTube channel for my Let's Plays and Build videos <3

FreeSO, it's happening.

This is something that did happen to several TSO projects in the past... the TSO Restoration project had gotten really far, and then was indeed issued a cease and desist order.This project... is a bit special. Now, I'm no coder or programmer, or anything like that, but the way it was explained to me on the FreeSO forums, was,

"1. EA doesn't care, so long as noone is earning money off of the game's assets. If they did care, they would have let us know a long time ago. 2. Even if they did care, there's not much they can do. Writing and distributing code to interact with fileformats has never been illegal, nor will it ever be."

The most basic way I've heard it explained, is that they are writing code to interact with EA's fileformats, which is also supposed to be legal. I don't know anything about the true legality of it, I just know what I've been informed of. The main developer of this project does not seem to be worried about legal issues with EA.

As it stands, the game is meant to be free. Free to own and play, even with a designated server.

Also, the developers have seen this and;

a) Not closed the thread to discourage people from trying to obtain the game
    b) Even moved the thread to Sims discussions.

They seem fine with it.
  • fruitchew87fruitchew87 Posts: 114 Member

They seem fine with it.

I must admit, when I saw this thread pop up, I was a little worried. My hopes have been so invested in this project for so long that the idea that it would be shut down now kills me. However, I have to have faith that these guys know what they're doing, and are following the laws as they have stated they are.

But, if EA truly has the rights and wishes to shut it down, then I suppose there is nothing we can do about it. Just going to keep crossing my fingers.
    Visit my YouTube channel for my Let's Plays and Build videos <3

FreeSO, it's happening.
  • simaddict88simaddict88 Posts: 21 New Member
    Wait... what is The Sims Online?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2016

It's KPopp :D I watch all her vids like..2 seconds after they come out and I love her streams, she is awesome! <3<3<3
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    where can one obtain a copy of SO? I soooo wanna play!! lol
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited March 2016
    hellojewby wrote: »
    where can one obtain a copy of SO? I soooo wanna play!! lol

You can go to the website freeso.org/ and they'll explain how to play the game. Right now it's in pre-alpha, though, so there won't be much going on, but you can still check it out.

Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    @HIFreeBirdIH thanks soo much!
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Can someone make a video tutorial? I'm not good with written instructions.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Wait... what is The Sims Online?

It's just as it sounds--it was an online Sims game WAY back in the day. It eventually got the plug pulled on it and another similar game, Second Life, came along and seriously took off and was much more successful and to this day is still running. We lost a lot of TS2 players to Second Life, especially CC creators who much preferred SL's TOS over Maxis' TOS for similarly designed assets.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)

Ah that's the difference with how EA works to other companies... EA waits until a project nears completion and THEN they kill it with a cease and desist.

That way future games makers (who are making products similar to EA's) will not know if they are going to tread on EA's toes with a product and, not wanting to waste the effort, will not even begin making the game in the first place.
    raw

They seem fine with it.

Ahem, you were saying?
    raw