Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

That'll be depressing...

KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
edited March 2016 in Off Topic Chat
I love technology as much as the next person, but I’m going to be sad when libraries and video game stores become 100% digital and the buildings go out of business. I like filling my shelves.

I'm going to miss collecting DVDs too. I wonder how long until the ones I have become obsolete and unusable. :disappointed:
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

Comments

• MaryJosMaryJos Posts: 4,935 Member
    It's better for the environment... We're already going fast to the 2 degree mark so...
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I'm 100% buying books, comic books and video games digitally now (in fact have gotten rid of much of my book library and will eventually rebuy when I was to read something again. Not all comic books and video games are available for download so I still have a good collection of those.) Music I'm never going to get rid of all my CDS but I am buying new mostly digital except a few artists. The one thing I cannot convince myself to switch over on though are DVDs... I have about 600 movies and probably 100 different shows on DVD, it's just with those, the storage racks don't take up much floor space just wall space, and I like to see what I've got otherwise I'll forget.

I'll be sad when all those are gone too though, technology has definitely changed the way we get our entertainment, for research too. When I was in college the internet was still fairly new and we did most of our research by book! It would be sooo easy now compared to then! No need to go to the library it's all right there from your home!
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    MaryJos wrote: »
    It's better for the environment... We're already going fast to the 2 degree mark so...
    I know it is, but it still makes me sad. I almost hope I don't live to see it.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I don't really see it happening to libraries for a while yet. My local library sees a lot of love to its physical collection still. A lot of books I've put on holds have more holds for the physical copy than the digital and more physical copies to take out. It seems to be thriving and they're doing major renovations to our main branch (rebuilding it actually bigger, better, and flashier than ever), smaller renovations to smaller branches, adding more book trucks to check out books from, building new branches, and just doing really well right now. So they seem to be secure for a while, though maybe I'm just living in a good place for the library I dunno.

The bookstores too still seem popular, it's always busy when I go. Even our independents are hanging on (aside from one, but that was before ebooks were a major enough thing anyway). I really hope it stays that way, but I think it will for a while yet, they seem in absolutely no rush to go anywhere. Isn't Amazon even thinking of opening up brick and mortar bookstores? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhat recently they are, so I think we're okay there for a while yet. Digital books may be very popular but there's still a huge market for physical books.

Video games I think the death of physical copies is soon though. I don't care tons about that though, I prefer physical but I hardly play games besides sims (and even then I ended with TS3, unless things change) So meh. And digital has had it's advantages for me when I've lost my discs, though TS3's setup was nice of getting the digital copy if you registered so you could have the discs but still have the backup digital if you need it.

Though I do care some because I worry about how many jobs it takes away. I know some will just get moved around to run the websites and stuff, but I imagine it takes a lot of jobs away still. In a world where there aren't enough jobs as it is, that's what bugs me. But I don't care about missing some of this stuff from my collection. I do like a physical copy of a favourite book hanging around my shelves, but otherwise meh.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited March 2016
    @dreamerz13 I know what you mean about keeping a few books around though. I have gone from 5 5-shelf bookshelfs to 1 and have kept maybe 5 novel books (the rest are research or media books, Ebook is not great for those type of formats), 3 that are not available as an ebook, and Lord Of The Rings and Jurassic Park. I figure if technology ever fails I will at least have dinosaurs and Hobbits to keep me company. :D
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    There will always be a place for hard copy books. Some things are still better on paper, like picture books for children. The bad thing about anything that uses electricity in general and digital books specifically is that you cannot use them without power. No electricity = no charge =no book. I have a Kindle and I like it, but it is frustrating sometimes to wait for it to charge so I may continue reading. The only problem with a paper copy book is having the light to read. There is some wisdom in having some information in paper copy and always accessible, even if there is no power. We have a GPS that we use sometimes when we travel, but we also have some basic road maps, just in case we can't access the GPS. I have to limit the number of hard copy books that I own, as I have a small home. My hardcopy books are limited to those books I love most, those that are unavailable in digital format, or are things like cook books where I prefer to flip through the pages. Public libraries also have to consider needs of all of their patrons when ordering materials. Not every one can afford to have the internet at home, and instead will need hard copy book from the library, as well as movies on DVD and music on CD.
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Some things, I don't mind phasing out in favor of a digital format. Things like PC video games and music, I'm all for. Console games, not so much yet. I tend to fill up my consoles pretty quickly with games. I don't have a purpose for CDs anymore, and even near the end of me buying CDs (I think it's been at least ten years since I bought a CD), I was just ripping the songs onto my computer and never using the physical CD again. Same can be said for physical copies of PC games. I bought the physical copy of Diablo 3 when it came out, and I haven't touched the box since the day I installed it years ago.

Although things like books, comic books, and movies, I don't want to see go away. Although I don't read much, I do enjoy collecting some books, and I'm definitely a collector of comic books and DVDs/Blu-Rays. I just like the feeling of going through my movie collection and knowing that I own physical copies of great movies that I love. Same goes for comic books, although because there are so many that come out/that have come out, I really only collect the ones that hold big importance in comic book history (the issue where Bane broke Batman's back, the issue where Hal Jordan was taken over by Parallax, and he nearly destroyed the entire Green Lantern Corps, etc) or just for the covers I really like.

I'm kind of half and half on newspapers. On the one hand, I rarely ever read them. On the other, if I have one for the day, every once in a while, it is nice to just sit down and read the paper with some morning coffee. Though, honestly, I think it's just more worth phasing them out, as well.
  • rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Can I store my VHS tapes at your house then?
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    > @KayeStar said:
    > I love technology as much as the next person, but I’m going to be sad when libraries and video game stores become 100% digital and the buildings go out of business. I like filling my shelves.
    >
    > I'm going to miss collecting DVDs too. I wonder how long until the ones I have become obsolete and unusable. :disappointed:

The problem is that with technological advancement, density and capacity requirements increase exponentially but this doesn't mean that you should discard the media type if you prefer it. Optical storage methods are standard regardless of the product label so just upgrade to high density optical storage media and condense your archive. You can then add the developer's extras and media publications to your collections as well.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    rosey1579 wrote: »

I sometimes forget those once existed despite having a large collection as a kid :lol:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    edited March 2016
    Wow. Irony. Look at what I just got in the mail.

tumblr_o47cxqoM8h1rekivco1_1280.jpg

I did order this online, so clearly, I'm not opposed to technology itself. But it means more to me that I can hold it.
    Post edited by KayeStar on
    Sure. You can store them in my Disney DVD crate! :lol:
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member

I still have a special love for all the old VHS movies my mom still has from when my sister and I were kids. She used to buy all the Disney movies that came out. I also remember her taking us to a small video store in the area, and we would pick up pretty unknown-at-the-time gems. She still has the old VHS of "My Neightbor Totoro" we got when it was no where near as popular as it is now in the US. Was released by 20th Century Fox back then, instead of Disney like it is now, lol.

She still loves collecting the Disney movies now, only she's moved onto Blu-Ray :D
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    MaryJos wrote: »
    It's better for the environment...
    That's debatable
    We're already going fast to the 2 degree mark so...
    Perhaps if we stop using so many gadgets, use less electricity, there'd be less of an issue.
    At least until fossil fuels are fully a thing of the past.

Personally I love paper books. They don't make my eyes sore, or give me headaches like screens do.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    The other nice thing about paper books is they don't interfere with your sleep. I have to be very carful with my sleep habits as I often have problems with sleep. One of the first things I was told by the Doctor was to avoid TV, computer screens, and electronic books at least one hour before bed. Most of the time I do so and it really does help at least with falling asleep. Of course, I do like to read in bed before going to sleep, so I usually have a paper copy book to read.