Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Babies are sims too! Ideas to improve this lifestage.

Comments

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I don't want a combined life stage. I want two separate life stages. I like how the toddlers are in the sims 4 where they can walk and start practicing their five skills.

For me:
    I would like babies to go from infancy to being like a year old. So they start out for the first couple of days being cared for by parents and siblings and the last 2 days being helped to crawl, walk around furniture, playing peek-a-boo, playing with blocks, and so on.

I would like to be able to create them in CAS (along with pregnant sims). They should have a few different hair options such as bald, little hair, and a lot of hair. Have accessories like bows, hats, and baby mittens. Should have a variety of different outfits like sleepers and onesies. They should have a few different personality types such as sunshine (happy) baby, fussy baby, alert baby.

Also, raising children should shape their personalities.

Build/buy:
    Cribs/bassinets/changing tables/baby swings/play mats/playpens/baby toys

Gameplay:
    Babies should be able to be fed, rocked, sang to, played with, tickled without being tied to an object.
    Siblings should be able to hold, help feed, talk to, and tickle baby. Teach things like peek-a-boo, and help teach siblings to walk around furniture. Rock the cradle to help soothe the baby.

Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • poliqweenpoliqween Posts: 2 New Member
    Here are a few more: babies need clothes! They can't go outside in a stroller wearing their onesie and being barefoot, so they need those. also, the skills you suggested can be part of one skill: development. at level 1, they can rollover. level 2, they sit up. level 3, they crawl and at level 4 they can start cruising on furniture like couches and coffee tables. also, babies can be bathed in both sinks and baby baths on changing tables. As for the development skill, they will gain it automatically, but you can speed up the process by having an older sim help them with it
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2020
    I think that baby and toddler life stages should be combined. Babies could start out as a baby in a crib, but slowly they would gain skills that allow them to become like how we currently know toddlers to be. The life stage could be 1.5 weeks and could just be called baby. You could edit in CAS throughout the entire life stage. Skills would be able to reach a higher level since there is more time to work on them. Some ideas of interactions you could do with babies to help them gain skills in the very beginning could be:
    • Play clapping and singing games with baby (increase imagination or communication skill)
    • Give baby tummy time where they can learn to push up from floor, sit, crawl, then eventually walk (increases movement skill)
    • Talk to baby (increase communication)
    • Take baby out in stroller and then (when they can walk) out for walks/adventures with parent (increase thinking skill because they are watching the world)
    • Play with baby and toys on floor (increase thinking, imagination, or communication)
    • Nurse baby on couch or chair (doesn't gain skills, but nicer than standing)
    • If multiple babies are in one room, even if they can't walk/crawl yet, they could babble at each other and gain a relationship and communication skills.
    • Babies could have mobiles above their beds/cribs to play with (could gain imagination, movement or thinking skill)
    In the beginning babies would just cry when they need anything, but with a certain level of communication they could ask for specific things such as a bath or food. With movement skill at a certain level they would be able to push up from the floor, then later they would learn to sit, then later they would learn to crawl and escape from crib, and then walk, then run. Toddler beds would work, too, but there could be a higher chance of them staying in bed all night with a crib.

Once a baby reached, say, level four in any skill, they would start behaving like toddlers currently do at level one on any given skill. The skills could go up to level eight or ten. Potty could stick with three or five levels because they cannot start to learn potty until all their other skills are a little higher. There could be funny mishaps that occur if you try to teach potty too early.

Babies could start eating solid foods in a high chair once they reach movement level three or something like that.

There should be many more interactions available between babies and children or other babies. Children could ask to hold the baby (when it is little) with help from their parents. Babies could play with each other without using toys, like just poke each other and giggle and babble and touch each other's toes and things like that (once they can sit only). Children could sing to babies or play with toys with them.

I want to write more about my idea of taking them on walks, too. As babies in strollers, they could just talk to their caregiver who is taking them out, and they could do the "watch" and "what's that?" interactions with people and interesting object outside as they roll along. They would do those autonomously. Once they can walk on their own, they could hold an older sim's hand to go on a walk/adventure and play with things they find along the way. There could be outdoor interactions such as "play in dirt" or "play in grass" that they could perform while on a walk/adventure.

A lot of people say that it is too sad to have babies taken out of the crib because they just get lost, I disagree. Interactions where babies are taken out of the crib before they can crawl/walk on their own could be mandatory for the sims to finish. When a sim is peeing themselves or having an energy failure, they can't just suddenly get up and do something else because they get distracted. These interactions with babies could work a similar way. If you click cancel on something they are currently doing with a baby sim, they would always just pick up the baby and put them back away into the crib before doing anything else.

Those are my thought, hope this inspires some new ideas!

Omg!!!! This is my favorite idea so far. I would love it if the two life stages were combined. And all the ideas to go with it. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

And I always wanted toddlers to crawl and drink from bottles so this would be the both of best worlds.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    poliqween wrote: »
    Here are a few more: babies need clothes! They can't go outside in a stroller wearing their onesie and being barefoot, so they need those. also, the skills you suggested can be part of one skill: development. at level 1, they can rollover. level 2, they sit up. level 3, they crawl and at level 4 they can start cruising on furniture like couches and coffee tables. also, babies can be bathed in both sinks and baby baths on changing tables. As for the development skill, they will gain it automatically, but you can speed up the process by having an older sim help them with it

I'm just gonna drop this here...because even though this age is only 2 days in TS2, every one of my infants gets a makeover.

dUYlHVe.png
  • titletownbeasttitletownbeast Posts: 17 Member
    I'm constantly talking about this with other simmers I know! We always forget that Parenthood exists! It would've been the perfect opportunity to expand on the concept of babies. They could've even made it an expansion pack with the teacher career or interactive school... any number of ways :)
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    Freeplay's babies are so amazing. Look at all of this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJqbJpbETs

Can we please get this? I'd probably be a whole expansion pack if they add all of it but I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    aww Freeplay babies are cute. I love that they can crawl around and play with baby toys.
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    I'm so happy that people really do still care about babies, there's been so little talk lately I was starting to lose hope but after the most recent update I saw a bunch of people talking about babies on a video that had nothing to do with it! It makes me feel like there are enough of us that the sims team might finally notice us and do something.
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    @Babycakelings Lots of gamechangers have been very vocal about babies for a while. The gurus ignore this forum, but they definitely pay attention to the gamechangers,so I'm hoping they're in the process of working on babies now.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    @Babycakelings Lots of gamechangers have been very vocal about babies for a while. The gurus ignore this forum, but they definitely pay attention to the gamechangers,so I'm hoping they're in the process of working on babies now.

Just because they don't post doesn't mean they ignore the forum.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Did they usually post before? It seems their job is unrelated to the forum, like the one guru I looked up from the Livestream is actually a Producer. I think they monitor the forums though, just based on the one Livestream I saw where they referenced some things that were brought up by the community. I do like that they have website staff here creating topics and directing you to other topics.

Maybe if you are an employee though, you would hesitate to post a comment on a public forum, because then your coworkers and boss would see it and if they didn't like what you said, it could affect your work relationships or lets say you released a detail about an upcoming game that you weren't supposed to, you could get in trouble for that. Personally, I find communicating with customers is the most stressful thing and when the communication is monitored for work performance it's even more stressful. They probably have rules to follow and are allowed to communicate only in a certain way or at certain times.

I think I would never want to chat with customers on a public company website forum. The company would have to pay me a lot of money to do that. I would have a really hard time if my boss asked me to make twitter posts, Instagram posts, and forum posts to the customers of my company's products. I'd start polishing my resume lol. That means your real name is out in public too and everyone knows where you work. Your coworkers, your boss, even your family and friends can see you at work interacting with clients. Yes, they would have to pay me a huge financial incentive to do that and offer many, many holiday bonuses, full medical and dental benefits, a minimum two weeks paid vacation. Lots of corporate swag too. I'd need a squishy freezer bunny stress ball and the plants from University on my desk. And I would expect to never actually have to buy the game packs myself. ;) It's stressful to communicate with just one customer at a time, but just imagine how many would respond to you on social media lol, just thousands and thousands of them... Social media is just not good for company morale. I can think of one coworker who would probably try to bully me over a typo. We as customers shouldn't ask for this, because then we might have to do it at our jobs too :#

I'm really hoping for a baby pack. I need the Sims babies to do something else besides cry in their crib. I really hope they update the babies soon.
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited January 2020
    elliendre wrote: »
    Maybe if you are an employee though, you would hesitate to post a comment on a public forum, because then your coworkers and boss would see it and if they didn't like what you said, it could affect your work relationships or lets say you released a detail about an upcoming game that you weren't supposed to, you could get in trouble for that. Personally, I find communicating with customers is the most stressful thing and when the communication is monitored for work performance it's even more stressful. They probably have rules to follow and are allowed to communicate only in a certain way or at certain times.

They used to post every now and then here, even on threads with ideas. But it seems they have slowly backed away from the forums because there were always heated discussions from fans that were unhappy with the game. Those were dark times when there was so much missing from this game and the packs were just plain meh. Don't know if you heard about the "scandal" with SimGuruDrake, but that alone created a lot of tension in the forums with the way she dismissed the unhappy fans and just how she was straight up unprofessional about the whole situation.

After they added toddlers and just more things in general that people wanted, the environment got better. Those who were still unhappy with the game, eventually left, others got banned for being too aggressive with their criticism. And others, like me, linger around hoping one day this game will finally feel complete.

I do think the gurus still visit the forums though, and they occasionally listen. But it's hard to understand what and when they are willing to listen. The baby topic has been a controversial thing even among the gurus. Grant (ex-guru) didn't really see it as a priority at all and maybe he was actually really against it, while Lyndsay was interested in it. And now it seems Duke is not against it, so there is some hope, but I have a feeling that by the time they do something about the babies (if they do it at all), TS4 will be close to its end and TS5 will be on the horizon already.

But well... I'm hoping that if there is going to be a TS5 that they will actually realize how important each and every one of these lifestages are important and it's not just about freaking adults! But there is still hope for TS4, and I hope people won't give up. We need to make enough noise, not only here but other social media websites.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    Babies are sims too.
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    Having them have a movement skill focused on crawling would be amazing since toddlers completely skip that.

Like having them go from just laying on there back and using tummy time learning to hold there head up then to crawling and maybe them starting to pull up on stuff like couches and then maybe the last level, being about to walk the same way toddlers do when there first aged up.

They could also have a like skill which makes them act less newborn. So when there first born they sleep heaps and don't smile or laugh they just make small noises, then they start smiling and and "chatting away" (ya know make baby noises when sims talk to them) and then they start sleeping better with less waking up and there energy going down slower. Maybe eventually gaining a fun need so they need to play with toys or be tickled.

Babies change so much in the first few years and I'm tired of the sims team skipping over that.
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2020
    I love all of your ideas, I can see myself enjoying every one of them. I would also love seeing a little genetics in the babies, let me see their eye color and hair color (but also have the bald-choice in CAS because some babies go through a stage when they'll lose their baby hair and be bald you know, some simmers might want to play through that).
    For me, Babies would be 0-12 months. Toddlers are 1-3 year olds.

I would also enjoy preschoolers very much (age 4-6), a stage between toddlers and children (6-12) that come as a free update before a new generations EP. I would love an active preschool option that could come with a go to school EP that gives us playable schools for preschoolers, children and teens.

I would also love a preteen life stage (10-13) when Sims look like the teen sims from the previous games, smaller like adults and teens but taller than children, not fully developed (little bit of breast for girls e.g.), a little awkward too (so I can pretend they're like 12-15), just to make up for the adult like teens we have (those would be 16-18 in my pretend-game). The preteen life stage could come in a free update right before the go to school EP for everyone.

That would just make my game perfect. Then add a really fleshed out farming EP that give my Sims more crafts to do like canning, cooking marmelade, sewing (with wool from sheep) as a new skill next to knitting we get with the next stuff pack, more woodworking options!

And I would love a vacation EP that give my sims more group activities such as play games on the beach or sports together (like skiing and snowboarding in a wintery world, beach volleyball, real soccer games, not just kicking around a ball, hello?), and lots of family activities like playing in the pool in summer (loved marco polo, and why can't our sims play with the floaties?), children playing together as a group outside, also involving preschoolers, preteens, teens, adults, seniors, toddlers and babies if we want them to (pretend play, tag, hide and seek, clapping games, also share toys). I want grandparents to have their grandchildren over and staying at their house over night! I want playgrounds with more options - a swing that can also be used by toddlers and a slide that can be used by children, toddlers, preteens, preschoolers, teens, just all of them. Seesaws, carousels (like we had in TS2 for playgrounds), hopscotches, ball games, JUST GIVE ME ALL THE THINGS haha, take my money!

All of that would enrich my gameplay experience so much and make the game perfect. After that, everything else would just be an add on.

Sadly, I think especially preschoolers will never happen in TS4 - with preteens and babies I do have hope! I sadly think that those group activities I want for families won't come like I want them to be either... even though I would love that so much! I want my family to spend quality time together. Right now Mom, Dad and toddler can't even build a snowman or a sand castle together - no, Mom has to WATCH Dad and toddler doing that and - but no, wait, wow, she can't even WATCH them! I hate that in TS4 everything seems to be limited to individual sims doing things alone or as a group of ... two sims... No family life at all.
    Post edited by SimKonfetti on
  • jessieu726jessieu726 Posts: 6 New Member
    I cannot agree more. I love the family aspects of The Sims, but the baby gameplay is horrible. I just cheat all of my babies to toddlers because it feels like a waste of time to have them as a baby. I get no cute moments with the parents changing baby or washing them or anything like that. And I definitely agree that babies need to be cuter. Their kind of creepy at the moment, they look unsettling and they don't quite look like a baby version of a sim.
  • Gingasnap27Gingasnap27 Posts: 98 Member
    YES YES YES YES YES!!!!
  • stxrliqhtcstxrliqhtc Posts: 4 New Member
    I love this idea! In my opinion, babies should be able to leave their crib, and slowly learn new skills. For example, on the first day the baby is born, it can only do the things that babies can do now. Parents should be able to talk to the baby and teach it how to talk (increasing Communication / Social skill) and there should be an interaction where parents can teach the babies how to crawl. Something I think would be adorable is if babies could be sang to sleep with a lullaby or fed in a chair instead of standing up. There should be a changing table and an activity mat also.
    Something else that would be a welcome addition to the game is the option to be able to play as the baby once it reaches certain levels of skills. Once the baby learns how to crawl, (Movement level 2) and think, (Thinking Level 2) the baby should be able to be played as. This would make sure that the baby's needs could be met, and also provides opportunities for stories with gameplay. The only difference would be that babies are restricted more. For example, toddlers can climb stairs, be potty trained, play in the toilet, talk, etc. Babies wouldn't be able to perform those interactions due to being too young, other than maybe babbling to its parents. Ideally, babies would be crawling around the house and playing on a mat. Kids should also have more interactions with babies, such as holding the baby, cuddling the baby, or even bottle feeding the baby. Toddlers could be able to give the baby kisses if another Sim was holding it, or ask to hold the baby while sitting down and being supervised by a parent. They could also show the baby toys, and something that would be adorable is for the toddler to play with the baby once it learns how to crawl. For example, crawling around the house, playing Hide and Seek, etc.
    For me, I see babies as 0-12 months old, toddlers as 1-5 years old, and kids as 5-10 years old. In my opinion, there's also a gap between 10-13 years old where preteens should be (kids age up into teens) but if there was an update, the update for babies would be best. I really think that EA did a great job with toddlers, I really hope they listen to us with babies! Everyone has such good suggestions!
  • Galu8Galu8 Posts: 15 Member
    I’d love being able to go to the hospital for a scan and discovering how many babies a pregnant sim is having and the gender so then we could do a gender reveal party
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,372 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Can we please get this? I'd probably be a whole expansion pack if they add all of it but I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy.

Ohh, those babies are cute! But they are a lot older than the babies we have in TS4. I don't mind the bassinet babies too much, but I think it would be nice if we were able to take them out to the park in a stroller or a basket, something appropriate for babies who don't yet sit.
  • Seesin8Seesin8 Posts: 29 Member
    I like the idea that when you are pregnant you have to have a good pregnancy (reading parenting books, being happy, taking prenatal or natural alternative you can grow on farm etc, having one doctors visit per pregnancy, "read baby tips online" and tips pop up that share ideas of how to increase the likelihood of receiving a "phenomenal Pregnancy" "good pregnancy" moodlet . A "difficult pregnancy" moodlet can be given if you don't avoid curtain food (eating healthier), if you workout to much, of your sim has a negative mood more then 70% of the time etc should be how it is determined if you have an easy or difficult infant. Difficult infants should cry, eat, need to be changed or bathed more as well as need more attention to grow up well.

I would like the option to find out gender in advance during 3rd trimester. I agree with @bythedreadwolf about the "event" baby shower option!

Seesin8 (CC)
  • TennedraTennedra Posts: 25 Member
    I think the main things to focus on with babies is the interactions between family members. They are a new addition to the family. Children and teens should be able to help take care of their baby sibling as well as toddlers. With Parenthood, parents can command their older children to take care of their younger siblings.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Honestly? I'd be happy with more ways to "store" babies.
    Like if they could be live-dragged onto different objects with new interactions.
    A bouncer! A stroller!
    Each one could serve a slightly different purpose.

The bouncer entertains the baby, making them less likely to cry. Really just a way to give new parents a bit of a break, provided they can shell out the Simoleons.

The stroller is a way to carry babies around the neighborhood, acting as a mobile bassinet. Sims you're not currently playing, who have a baby in their own household would show up as walkbys in the neighborhood, pushing their own babies around, allowing you to gain relationship with babies you would otherwise not meet. You'd have your Yoga Moms in athletic outfits, Energized and pushing expensive strollers, traveling in packs of 2-3 parent/baby pairs, as well as frazzled New Parents, wearing sleep outfits, traveling solo and Dazed, pushing cheap strollers.

Musical-Baby-Rocking-Chair-Toddler-Rocker-Electric-Baby-Bouncer-Swing.jpg5042684fbb6c5ad7a86af9171e536dc5.jpg

wJbomAo.png
  • TigerpillTigerpill Posts: 10 New Member
    THIS. I get it, infants dont do much but there is a really large amount of learning opportunities from infant to toddler. And making a real nursery with changing tables and dressing babies in onesies would be so fun!
  • _Elli3_93_Elli3_93 Posts: 1 New Member
    100% agree with all the original suggestions. Also with the gender reveal thing I think it should be a separate event as traditionally the baby shower is just for women family members and friends and gender reveals are for everyone, so maybe they could make another event for this? So you get two events. 1 for baby shower and another for gender reveal?

Also it would good if you could have scans done and find the gender out there so you can plan the baby shower and gender reveals around that and put the scan photos up in the house or something like you can with birth certificates and photos taken on the in game cameras.

It would also be great that if they do add these things into pc they also add them onto console.

Or instead of doing it as an update, do the baby interactions as update and all the furniture, clothing and events and stuff as a separate pack. We have a toddler pack, parenting pack and kids stuff pack, why not have a baby stuff pack too. That would be awesome

I really hope they listen and do this as these are things I've wanted since the first game x