Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Babies are sims too! Ideas to improve this lifestage.

Comments

• bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Shamelessly bumping this thread. Shamelessly tagging @SimGuruDrake and @SimGuruLyndsay

So now that we have our lovely toddlers (and what a great job the sims team did with them!), I'm honestly hoping that the devs will start to consider turning their attention to the other young lifestages too, because they also desperately need some improvement and content. Considering TS4's version of toddlers are a bit more grown up and independent than previous games, I think it's extra important now to have babies a bit more fleshed out. It's pretty bittersweet seeing the toddlers have such attention to detail and then there's the babies, with only a handful of interactions, no objects/toys, stuck to a bassinet in some corner.

I think now it's the right time to improve the baby lifestage and make it meaningful. For example, toddlers don't crawl anymore, which is fine, I get that they are supposed to be a bit more grown up, it opens up a lot more opportunities in terms of content, but it's also a bit of a shame at the same time, because we missed that progression of crawling to walking. So I think it's a great opportunity to make the baby lifestage mean something, instead of just being a piece of useless furniture that barely needs any attention. It would be great if there was a way to have them sitting up for the first time (on a baby mat for example) and maybe try to stand up in their wobbly little legs with the help of a parent. My niece was barely one year old when she started walking. Maybe once babies learn how to sit up, they can start using different objects too, like a baby bouncer.

I also really want a changing table now more than ever, for both babies and toddlers. It's really weird seeing a parent removing a dirty diaper from a toddler while they are standing up, as well as from babies right on the bassinet.

Is it even possible for them to detach babies from their cribs?

A guru said it's technically possible, the question here is if they will be willing to do it. If enough people show interest, they might.

• crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Well I'm hoping if babies can be detached from they're little chains, that maybe we could actually get some traditional cribs back. And maybe some more clothing options, gameplay objects (play mat, walker, etc.)
  • papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    #freethebabies

I agree with everything in this thread.

We need changeable clothes for babies. We need some beanies / caps / bows for their hair. And different onesies to choose from.

I want to bathe them and I want strollers for babies and toddlers.
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yessss please, Maxis, PLEASE make babies more realistic! I wish they gave the baby the dominant eye color from their parents, more objects for babies, etc.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Team #freethebabies !!

I want to be able to sit with babies. It still weirds me out that Sims stand to breastfeed. (But I love the breastfeeding otherwise! It was a highlight for me at launch to finally not be forced to bottlefeed!) I want to be able to snuggle them on the sofa. I want to be able to hand them to another Sim and to be able to go from action to action fluidly.

Not on freeing but also important to me, I also want them to have the skin colour they'll grow up with.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    I would like to be able to create babies from CAS mode instead of waiting for a pregnancy or adoption it would be really nice for changeable outfits like said.
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yubell wrote: »
    I would like to be able to create babies from CAS mode instead of waiting for a pregnancy or adoption it would be really nice for changeable outfits like said.

OMG THIS! YES PLEASE! <3
    Don't we all secretly want this? Lol <3
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Old thread - I went to awesome a post...I was like, wow, this person has the same ideas as me! It was my own post. LOL!

#FreeTheBabies
  • Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    Why not get rid of life stages compleatly and introduce gradual ageing with an age bar.
    Start of the Bar: Baby just after birth. Then it goes seamlessly as the bar progresses to the Elder about to die from old ages.
    Haveing Babies and Toddlers blend into each other seamlessly would be a great first step in that direction.
    There is a Mod for that in Sims 3.

:trollface:

Jokes aside, I support the Idea of takeing the babies out of the crib and put them to a diffrent object, makeing them more detailed and more customizable and adding Interactions to them, but I dont think compleatly freeing them is not a good Idea since the Sims would drop them in the wierdest places.
    The Floor, the table, the fridge, the garden, the fireplace...
    DID YOU JUST PUT THE BABY IN THE WASHING MACHINE!?!?

I like to build large Houses, even Castles. And I would be HORRIFIED if I could not find the baby because the parend put it down to grab the phone in order to play blick block.
    It was less of a problem in Sims 3 because I could just click at the portrait and focus the camera on the Baby. That is not possible currently in Sims 4.

Also I am going to be a father in real life this year, and therefore I will experience how it feels to care for a Baby first hand.
    Wish me luck...
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Great Job I agree 100%, Babies should not be tied down to a bassinet , they need Freedom as well, :)
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Meh.
    I age babies up asap.
    They're boring to play. Even with all the junk you're wanting added, they'd still be little bundles of bore.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • TayTayGeeTayTayGee Posts: 313 Member
    Give babies a physical redesign and add more interactions for them.
  • gmomasuegmomasue Posts: 648 Member
    Yes I wish they would free the babies for a long time now that and added toddlers . now we have toddlers they really need to free babies form the crib
  • papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Meh.
    I age babies up asap.
    They're boring to play. Even with all the junk you're wanting added, they'd still be little bundles of bore.

Disagree.
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    Babies are pretty much a pre-stage. Like the pre-creatures from SPORE, they are a less fun, more annoying Toddler with no facial or personality identity, they have been pretty much that in literally every sim game they appeared, except now they have legs. I am ok as they are. Seriously, what do you expect a younger, less-smart toddler to do ? To me they already do all they can right now.
    jr73Y.gif

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited January 2017
    I just want real babies back! They are part of the family not some object pushed to the side until the age up. I loved how they were in Sims 2, and I love them in Sims 3 as well (though I have a mesh that gives my babies legs). I think the devs should look at the babies from Sims FreePlay. I would like babies to be a mixture of them and Sims 2.

First there should be two "stages' in the new revamped baby lifestage.

*New Born*

They don't do much beside keeping mom and dad up half the night. lol But they are still very customizable. Like if you have GTW and decide to give birth at the hospital then you can plan their "Coming Home" outfit. And they leave not in the parents arms but in a car seat.

Newborns can be bathed in the sink or given sponge bath on the counter.

They have clothing to pick from: onies, footsies, gowns just to name a few. As well as accessories like bonnets, caps, bows, headbands, earrings, booties, baby gloves, etc.

Don't for get hair too, from bald to a head full of curls.

*Older Baby*

After two days of being a "newborn" they move onto the older baby stage. They start to sit up and roll over. Maybe one animation can be them chewing on their fingers. lol

They can also be fed in a highchair: parents or older siblings teach them how to eat. And as they get better at eating baby foods (which can be either bought or made with fruits and veggies, and blended up in the new food processor) their eating level goes up. So by the time the age to toddlers they are ready for "finger" foods.

Older babies can not only roll over and sit up but also crawl. Getting into all kinds of things, now able to play with their floor toys, baby puzzles, picture books, and even finger paints. And much more!

And like the younger babies they too are fully customizable. These babies are no longer relegated to bath time in the kitchen sink but in the tub! They use a bath chair so they don't tip over and have a wide range of bath time fun toys, and different colored bubble bath (which can be used by toddlers and kids... and those sims who are still young at heart!)

They have walkers and playpens with toys that go in there as well.

This is all that I can think of now, but if anyone else has other ideas, please add too!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

I just want real babies back! They are part of the family not some object pushed to the side until the age up. I loved how they were in Sims 2, and I love them in Sims 3 as well (though I have a mesh that gives my babies legs). I think the devs should look at the babies from Sims FreePlay. I would like babies to be a mixture of them and Sims 2.

First there should be two "stages' in the new revamped baby lifestage.

*New Born*

They don't do much beside keeping mom and dad up half the night. lol But they are still very customizable. Like if you have GTW and decide to give birth at the hospital then you can plan their "Coming Home" outfit. And they leave not in the parents arms but in a car seat.

Newborns can be bathed in the sink or given sponge bath on the counter.

They have clothing to pick from: onies, footsies, gowns just to name a few. As well as accessories like bonnets, caps, bows, headbands, earrings, booties, baby gloves, etc.

Don't for get hair too, from bald to a head full of curls.

*Older Baby*

After two days of being a "newborn" they move onto the older baby stage. They start to sit up and roll over. Maybe one animation can be them chewing on their fingers. lol

They can also be fed in a highchair: parents or older siblings teach them how to eat. And as they get better at eating baby foods (which can be either bought or made with fruits and veggies, and blended up in the new food processor) their eating level goes up. So by the time the age to toddlers they are ready for "finger" foods.

Older babies can not only roll over and sit up but also crawl. Getting into all kinds of things, now able to play with their floor toys, baby puzzles, picture books, and even finger paints. And much more!

And like the younger babies they too are fully customizable. These babies are no longer relegated to bath time in the kitchen sink but in the tub! They use a bath chair so they don't tip over and have a wide range of bath time fun toys, and different colored bubble bath (which can be used by toddlers and kids... and those sims who are still young at heart!)

They have walkers and playpens with toys that go in there as well.

This is all that I can think of now, but if anyone else has other ideas, please add too!

May I share this idea? Awesome. <3
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Yes, please! :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Meh.
    I age babies up asap.

Disagree.

Awesome.
    And the point of saying so is..?

Why not explain why you disagree?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited January 2017
    Meh.
    I age babies up asap.
    Ok...? And you felt the need to post on this thread just to say that? If you don't like that lifestage, obviously it will always be boring to you, so I don't see why you even came to this thread just to say "babies are boring, your suggestions are boring". I don't like supernaturals but I don't go into supernatural threads to say "vampires/aliens/ghosts are boring, and all these suggestions will still make them boring to me". I ignore those threads instead, I don't go around saying people's suggestions are "junk". That's not very nice.

v12creator wrote: »
    Babies are pretty much a pre-stage. Like the pre-creatures from SPORE, they are a less fun, more annoying Toddler with no facial or personality identity, they have been pretty much that in literally every sim game they appeared, except now they have legs. I am ok as they are. Seriously, what do you expect a younger, less-smart toddler to do ? To me they already do all they can right now.
    Just because the baby lifestage has been really underwhelming in all sims games, doesn't mean they can't improve it in TS4. They did it with toddlers.

"Seriously, what do you expect a younger, less-smart toddler to do?"

Maybe try to read my first post before making questions like that. I explain there what I want to see for this lifestage.

Meh.
    I age babies up asap.

Disagree.

Awesome.

It's not like you gave a constructive argument in the first place. All you said was "babies are boring and will still be boring no matter what they add to the game". Obviously that person was disagreeing with that.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Well I do miss taking the babies out of the cribs I wish we had a rocking chair but I guess that's to many motions, baby ideas do sound great.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited January 2017
    Meh.
    I age babies up asap.
    Ok...? And you felt the need to post on this thread just to say that? If you don't like that lifestage, obviously it will always be boring to you, so I don't see why you even came to this thread just to say "babies are boring, your suggestions are boring". I don't like supernaturals but I don't go into supernatural threads to say "vampires/aliens/ghosts are boring, and all these suggestions will still make them boring to me". I ignore those threads instead, I don't go around saying people's suggestions are "junk". That's not very nice.

v12creator wrote: »
    Just because the baby lifestage has been really underwhelming in all sims games, doesn't mean they can't improve it in TS4. They did it with toddlers.

"Seriously, what do you expect a younger, less-smart toddler to do?"

Maybe try to read my first post before making questions like that. I explain there what I want to see for this lifestage.

Meh.
    I age babies up asap.

Disagree.

Awesome.

It's not like you gave a constructive argument in the first place. All you said was "babies are boring and will still be boring no matter what they add to the game". Obviously that person was disagreeing with that.

Preach!

Anything can be improved. It takes a dash of willpower, a spark of imagination, and a little bit of time. If the team decided the payoff was worth it, they'd do it. With the powerful reception of toddlers (and hopefully they saw an uptick of sales because of it), I think they'd be a little more willing to listen to the family play crowd.
  • klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruLyndsay you guys all did such a great job on toddlers. Can revamping/fleshing out babies be next? Please please :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Yes to #freethebabies :) Babies need love too.

In addition to being freed, they definitely need clothing and hair options. And the ability for us to take them into cas to choose those clothing and hair options.

I would be happy if they even only had one category, such as everyday. Or everyday plus sleep for those who would like a change. But we could have a big variety of sleepy suits, rompers, onesies with or without socks and all sorts of other items. We could have bald babies, wisps of hair, a bit more hair in different colour options. Babies in bonnets or cotton sleep hats.

Also, more choices of cribs. Bassinets, proper cots like they had in sims 3 with the up and down side. Wooden ones in different colours. Decor toys that we could place in a slot in the crib.
    edited January 2017
    Meh.
    I age babies up asap.

Disagree.

Awesome.

The reason why we disagree is because we simply disagree. Very simple lolz We don't have to explain. You already said it:
    "They're boring to play. Even with all the junk you're wanting added, they'd still be little bundles of bore."

By the way, our ideas are not junk just because you think it would be worthless on babies just because are boring to you.