Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does TS2 have that TS3/4 doesn't?

dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
I love love TS3 and not planning to buy TS4 anytime soon. I'm curious to give TS2 another go because it seems to be a lot of people's fav version.

When I tried it I felt like it was a harder game, i.e realising fears and keeping needs up. I'm just interested to know, what is there in TS2 that's unique? I'm looking for reasons to give it another try but it just seems like all the EPs and content I can find in TS3.

Comments

• FearlessButterflyFearlessButterfly Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2016
    I love the genetics the most in sims 2, the ones in 3 and 4 are rubbish IMO. I also love that i have no lag, the games are all finished. It is a much harder game and it isnt linear its more sandbox than the others. Dont have to do little quests and things.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    For me TS2 wipes the floor with 3 and 4.

I love the fact the sims have the most character, I feel they act the most realistic in terms of behaviours good and bad. Unlike in later versions if your Sim is angry you don't need a pop up telling you so and why, sims 2 sims will express their own feelings and thoughts very well. If their needs are low they will point blank refuse to do certain things. If they are angry at other sims they can be furious which can last a few days. The attraction system is brilliant and I really miss it.

I prefer children in TS2. Toddlers are so well done and I like having them but disliked them in 3.

From a gameplay perspective as a player who plays rotational I feel TS2 is the best for that. It's a nightmare in 3 and needs a little work in 4.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2016
    I actually like it harder- it makes it feel more like a game and less like .... I don't know why.

I like that it's not just moodlets.

I like their face structure- I like the different Sims and not all 'Beautiful' like in TS4. So many just don't get it. It's not about how cute my Sim is, it's the Sim and their personality.

I saw someone trying to do an Uglacy in TS4 and TS3 but they can't without making Sims that have exaggerated faces. In TS2 the faces are from real people, not just dolls; ts4 perfect little dolls.

It's the stores, the money, the jobs, the lots, the business, the restaurants, the families, the toddlers, the kids, the teens, the fears, the wants, their like and dislikes .... it's the game I want them to expand on and open up.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    I've been playing it for the last 2 hours. I only tried the base game in the past but now I went on vacation. I LOVE IT. It reminds me of outdoor retreat/spa day from TS4 (which I don't have and have been lusting after). So now I'm torn between playing TS3 or TS2!!
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    dw4518 wrote: »
    I've been playing it for the last 2 hours. I only tried the base game in the past but now I went on vacation. I LOVE IT. It reminds me of outdoor retreat/spa day from TS4 (which I don't have and have been lusting after). So now I'm torn between playing TS3 or TS2!!
    It's a great feature of Sims2 to have a "proper and real" holiday! :)
    I hope you are enjoying collecting the mementos of the holiday and the rewards when you return home?
  • rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Whenever I launch TS3 I feel myself immediately getting bored. If I were to leave the game on overnight I know I'd return to find nothing having happened. Perhaps the game would be paused by an opportunity or something. No harm done.

If I left TS2 running overnight I know I'd awaken to find all my sims dead. That's the difference.

My Sims need me!
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Well, first of all, it's the direct sequel to the original game, which was the only thing you could compare to back then. It introduced genetics and beautiful graphics. The music creates this nostalgia for those who remember it, some of the little details that Sims do when they interact are also important. It's just so many things.

Yep, it used to be super slow back then if you didn't have a nice computer, but if you play it now you will enjoy it. It's fast and it's fun.
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    Charisma charm system works well sims are smarter they are more realistic kids and toddlers have a life in the sims 2 unlike sims 4 pets are wonderful the whole game blows sims 4 out of the water .. There is still tons of custom content and that makes playing even better just can't go wrong.
    I have an urge to buy TS4 (to complete my Sims collection) but seems it's not as good as TS2? that's crazy considering TS2 is so old :D
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'd wait a little while longer, @dw4518. It's possible (small chance but it's there) that we'll have some great news within the next few weeks. If we do have good news for Sims 4, then I'd say look into buying it when there's a sale. If not, you've saved yourself the frustration that many of us have had over buying a rushed, half-done game.

Sims 2 is amazing. There are a lot of things I like about Sims 3, but Sims 2 fits my rotational, multi-generational, sandbox play perfectly.
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    dw4518 wrote: »
    I have an urge to buy TS4 (to complete my Sims collection) but seems it's not as good as TS2? that's crazy considering TS2 is so old :D

Not just crazy, but depressing :/

Sims 2 has a lot more detail put into animations. For example:

Cars actually drive out the driveway. If you have a cheap car your sim might have to slam the door a couple of times to close it. When you get to your destination, your sim will park the car on the road. Yes there is a loading screen, but the screen will show a car driving if in a car or a pedestrian if on foot, etc. I like that, it's a small thing that makes a big difference to me. Sims 3 the car just teleports to the road. If they are out and about it just teleports in and out of their inventory. No loading screen is kind of nice, but on the other hand driving from one end of the map to the other can also be a tedious process. Sims 4 no playable cars at all.

Sims 2 you can't shop from your refrigerator. When your food runs out you have to buy more. You can either go to a grocery store and purchase a basket of groceries or order groceries to be delivered. In a truck. By an NPC who will ring the doorbell and wait at the door with a basket to hand to your sim to put in the fridge. Sims 3 you had the option of going grocery shopping. Sims 4 you just buy stuff from your fridge.

Family play is so much more detailed. Toddlers have a lot more that they can do than in TS3, but a lot of it is autonomous, not user directed. If left unattended they will think up their own solutions to things. They might dance to music that's playing, or play in the toilet, or eat the dog's food or eat some sand or splash in a puddle. They can huggle with each other and bother the cat or dog. They need to be bathed (babies in the sink/basin, toddlers in the bath). There are family specific interactions such as "groom", which is basically picking lint of the other person's clothes in the manner of a picky, but affectionate spouse.

No rabbitholes! Sims 2 you can actually take a date out for a romantic dinner and propose during the meal. Grocery stores have fridges and produce displays and a register. While having CASt is fun for customising clothes in TS2 you have to go out and buy them. Or you can learn to sew and make them.

Time doesn't pass in unplayed households. Not everyone likes that, but for rotational play it's perfect. You can play whatever family you like and know that your other families aren't having affairs or getting old before you get a chance to play them.

It's not so much that there is a lot of different things to do in Sims 2 that aren't in Sims 3, but that they things you can do are much more detailed. Sims 3 is the game with the most to "do", but I think Sims 2 is the game with the most depth.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    I've been back on it too. I didn't play long but there are a great stuff I did notice and was reminded about:

- the game has much more animations and they are all hilarious
    - the sims's moods are very well expressed and varied
    - the fact that meals can be served by the person who cooked them for the whole family
    - family interactions are awesome
    - you can drive your get into your car and drive it out of the parking lot
    - restautants and shops
    - the different sub districts that can make the world huge
    - hobbies that highlight a sim's personality (i LOVE Free Time)
    - the attraction system

But there are also things that make TS3 the winner:

- TS2 is UGLY and the furniture is not nearly as smooth on the edge
    - the surrounding trees and houses are blurry and awfully pixelized even if the tree is basically 1 feet from your lot
    - TS2 doesn't have that many furtinure even with all the packs installed and that surprised me
    - no CAS
    - TS2 sims are just as ugly as TS3 CC free but at least in TS3 the CC skintones are beautiful whereas TS2 sims tend to be pink and shiny
    - closeted world
    - no ability to switch from sims in a household like in TS3
    - no story progression (i'm not a rotational player so i don't care about all those unplayed households)

Those are "details" but they ruin my fun. Everything that annoyed me in TS2 was actually corrected in TS3 and even though I play with a heavily modded TS3 game it brought me all i ever wanted in a Sims game.

As for TS4 apart from its great graphics, this game is a joke. It's already dead anyway.
  • PikminWPikminW Posts: 169 Member
    TS2 had an amazing relationship system that was taken out in TS3.
    TS2 had detailed animations (like in chess or while playing in the PC)
    TS2 had much more fun interactions (making out in the couch or in the hot tub was best in TS2)
    TS2 is really, really fun but the fact that I have to wait loading screens drags me into TS3. Once you play it, its difficult to go back.
    TS2's nightlife spots were so much much more populated than in TS3, those were real partying!

When I watch TS2's trailers I want to play it, but once you've tasted TS3's freedom its difficult to chose.
    But TS3 is also lots of fun and Its best when you have all TS3 expansion packs except the Katy Perry ones because you know they suck
    When will my reflection show?
    0f6_zpsnz47jegb.gif
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    I like both of them for very different reasons.
    thanks for all the replies :)