Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where do you see yourself in five years time?

SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
Hello everyone :)

I thought I'd make this thread so we can all find out where we want to be in five years? So basically you're talking about yourself, your jobs, your family etc. Do you see yourself with a new job, a child? :)

So as the title says, where do you see yourself in five years time?

Where will I be in five years time?
My honest answer is I don't know. I don't know what life has in store for me in five years time, hopefully something good though :) In five years time I would love to be a professional author. I have lots of ideas for books but so far haven't been able to complete these ideas. In five years time I really want to have over five books written and released and would also like to adopt a little baby girl if I can get the Autism under control :) Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get my life back on track, I don't know if I will, but I know that all of you good people here help me a lot so I am very garteful for that :)

Other than that I'd also really love to own my own big house as well :) if I get on with my books then I know that this is all possible within five years, but first I need the motivation and the strength to write an entire book! Wish me luck :)

I hope you guys and girls can all get to where you want in five years time as well :)

Matthew.

Comments

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2016
    I wish you loads of luck with all your goals @Sennie. I think it really sweet you want to adopt a baby girl, I wish you all the luck in getting your autism under control so you can do that. And with the writing, I know how difficult it can be to get those books done, but I'm sure you'll do fantastic at it.

It's a good question interesting to think about where I want my own life to be in 5 years, interesting to see what other people see for themselves too.

For me, at the moment, I'm in a stage of figuring out the path of my next 5 years. I made a major change to what I want to do with my life recently, so now it's about coming up with a new plan of action. I spent like 10 years wanting to be an interior designer, but randomly in all of like 5 minutes a few months ago I decided I want to be a mental health counsellor. So there's been the stage of actually giving myself time to actually think about it and to started looking into it and if it still seems right for me. Now I'm still looking into it and devising a plan of action. Which I've determined to be only determinable in 2 year intervals. So I might be just finishing off my final year of my bachelors degree in social work and looking for a job in the field or possibly be moving on to studying for my masters. Or I might have ended with my social work diploma a year or two earlier and be doing what I can with that for work. Mostly likely not that last option though, I'll most likely see it trough to at least the bachelors option because I don't think the diploma holds a ton of value (the bachelors degree though wooowww. I watch the social worker job postings, man, that sucker can serve you well). So that's really all up in the air still. I just want to be making good progress with that, but what my exact goal is I don't know yet.

I also hope to have written a couple books by then (2 to be exact, 1series I want to do) and to have them published somehow, though I'm very seriously considering self-publishing. It's not a career path for me, it's a hobby. I'd like to have a book out there that people can buy, but I don't think I'm concerned with the extra exposure and profits traditional publishing might lead to. But I will look more into both options when I'm closer to ready to publish. Hopefully this year I will have the first book in a publishable state, so hopefully I'll not be pushing that 5 year limit to get them out, hopefully the 2nd will have been out a couple years and maybe I'll be working on something new to publish.

No goals for family life. I don't want kids (love them, but I'm just not cut out to be a mom), and I'm meh on the whole marriage thing if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't I really don't care. So I just want to focus mainly on career-related goals the next 5 years, allowing writing to fall into careers even if it's not exactly a career plan... just a hobby to make maybe a few extra dollars XD.
  • Options
    Thank you so very very much @dreamerz13 :) I wish you all the best of luck with what you want to do as well!! I hope you finish the books in the time that you want to and can get everything else you want done as well :)

I know you can do it :) Best of luck with everything you want to do!!! :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    YJB19299YJB19299 Posts: 5,801 Member
    Wow, thats a really deep question :)

I honestly agree with Matthew, I don't know where I will be in 5 years. I also never thought so far because I want to keep my things in order in a timezone where it is more realistic. I know myself and when I plan things, I have the habit that I want that this plan works like I want, and if it doesn't work, I always get mad :sweat_smile: But I already know what my goals are. In the last few months I had so many opportunities to improve things like my autism, my editing- and my english skills, and actually I could do the most of this because of this forums :) Now I want to try to get through School and Gymnasium so I can get closer to my goal to do something in the direction interior designer. I also don't plan my family as I still don't have a girlfriend :) I'm actually not sure about my gender preference, but I'm still seventeen :) I have wonderful friends and I hope that I can stay that happy as I am now :)
    c6fj8ujnodut.png
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited March 2016
    I hope I'm in a relationship. I've only eve been in one and kinda think "why do I need another one cause I've been there and done that". But I don't wanna be old and lonely.
    edit. I too wanna adopt a kid :) one of my brothers is adopted and I think it's fantastic!
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I actually see myself worse off than I am now...my job of 10 years has become stagnant and extremely unfulfilling and I don't honestly know how much longer i'll be there. As I work from home and have for the last five years but social skills have withered to almost nothing, and it's become more and more difficult to convince myself to get out and do things (I do go to the gym 3-4 times a week but that's almost it.) My relationship of nearly 7 years seems to be very strained and I think it's also coming to a head - despite the fact that we're working on getting a new house together (maybe that will help some.) Healthwise I'm just feeling more and more tired as every year goes by. I don't honestly have a lot of hope for good things to come anymore, and have felt that the most productive years of my life have already passed me by.

I need a pick me up otherwise I'm going to end up in many places I don't want to be in many points of life.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    @YJB19299 I think that's great that like me, you find happiness and support in these forums :) I also find that everyone here is so friendly and helpful! Interior desinger sounds like a fun job to have :) you'll certainly get to visit a lot of people's homes doing that job. Yeah you're still young, there's plenty of time to find that "special" someone in your life :)

I wish you all the very best with you goals! I know you will complete them all :)

@Simpkin I hope you can also find that special someone :) I know you will. Sooner or later you'll meet that person who you will just know he/she is the one!! <3
    Also yes adoption is right at the top of my list :) I wish you all the very best with both of these goals :)

@jcp011c2 Oh no I'm sorry you feel this way :( I don't really know what I can say to help you out here. But one thing I know is that no matter how dark times get there is always going to be light at the end of the tunnel. Experience has taught me that :)
    I hope you can find that pick me up you're looking for! Best of luck for the future my friend :)

Hugs to you all <3

Matthew.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I recently celebrated my first work anniversary for my current job. And it's my first time to last this long. I think I can see myself staying in my job for a few years, at the very least.

I was actually planning to go abroad to get a Master's degree once I have 2 years of work experience (the minimum needed for a Fulbright scholarship), but now I think I'll put that on hold. Right now I'm thinking of going in 2020, but I want to ask my boss if I can still work remotely while pursuing graduate studies overseas. Once I get my degree and go back home, I'll continue working for my current company while teaching part-time in the university where I got my bachelor's degree. My original plan was to be a full-time professor and my office job was just a stepping stone, but I like my job so much right now that I don't want to give it up.

Of course, things change. Maybe I won't like my job as much in the next few years. Maybe I won't be able to study abroad. I'll try to make things happen, but if things get derailed I'll have to roll with the punches. No problem. Whatever tomorrow brings. :)

I'm kind of weird like that; I'm somewhat of a long-term planner. I've wanted to work with computers since I was 6, and I decided to take up Computer Science when I was in grade school. And I actually did those things. Fortunately I ended up liking Comp Sci, so there was no problem there. It's just that I don't often hear about people who plan things several years in advance and actually follow through.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Oh, I also wanted to be married by the time I'm 30, and have two boys and two girls. But I realized in high school that I'm attracted to guys, so that's one little curve ball. People aren't very tolerant here, so I don't think I can live openly. I'm still thinking about which method to use to have kids, and if I should just be a single father. People also tend to be nosy here, so having kids by choice as a single man would raise a bunch of questions. Not to mention a bureaucratic nightmare, because the government's only idea of a family is a nuclear one with a daddy and a mommy with kids.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    @icmnfrsh It's awesome that you are enjoying your work :) hopefully when it's time for you to find another job you will go to another one you like :) Ohhh being a full-time professor sounds like it would be a fun and rewarding job, but if you're enjoying your current job then what's the rush? :) I think your idea of waiting until 2020 is a good idea! It gives you four years to work everything out :)
    It's pretty awesome that you plan things really far ahead and what's even cooler is how you follow through with those plans :) as you said, there aren't many people who do.

At least you'll still be able to have two boys and two girls by the time your thirty :) it doesn't matter what colour you are, or what gender you like. You are you and nobody can change that :) I don't have any problems with people because they are different. I like you for who you are no matter what :)

I've always been attracted to women and to me men are just men :) but you like who you like and I say good for you :) I know it won't be easy for you, but I know you can do this and make it happen :) I wish you all the very best for your future plans and hope you can make them all happen and find that special man :)

Best of luck! :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    I'm straight and I wanna be a single parent too. For the kid's sake I'm waiting til I have a man by my side. But if it doesn't happen, I might just be a single parent. I don't know if they'll give me kid though cause I have really bad anxiety issues and don't have that much money.
  • Options
    iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    @Sennie i wish you all the best and i honestly hope that you become a succesful writer and that your books will be that good that they even come to my country so that i can read them! :) I am a bookworm, i love reading :)

I am very very happy with my life as it is right now :) The only thing that i want changed is a job that i actually like.. but i don't want to be ungrateful because having a job in my country at this period of time is like winning the jackpot (even more a job that your boss pays you every month without delays!). The problem is that i don't know what i want to do exactly... :s I studied economics, i even have a masters degree but maybe i made a wrong choice back then :/ Nevermind if i didn't choose that i wouldn't have moved where i am now and i would't have met my boyfriend and my future husband and also my best friend :)
    I am planning on getting married next year (hope it happens :) god first as we say in my country ) and in 2 or 3 or 4 years time i hope i will have a little child :) I also hope i find what i really want to do in my career and have job that i absolutely love!!
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    Wow, what a question. In 5 years I hope to finally be living in my own place. My husband and I currently live with my in-laws, which seems a little sad for a couple in their mid-20s, but it's actually common around here, because the housing market is ridiculous. Its actually cheaper to own a house (if you can come up with a sizeable down payment) than it is to rent a run-down 2 bedroom apartment in my area. So that's my main vision for the next 5 years. I will also probably have another baby sometime in the next 5 years too. I don't think I want my son to be an only child, not that there's anything wrong with only-children, but I loved having siblings to play with who were around my age and I think he'd really enjoy being a big brother.

That being said, 5 years ago I never thought I'd be where I am today. Life is funny like that. But wherever I am in 5 years, I will be sure to be thankful for what I have and not focus on what I wish I had.

And @Sennie. I wish you the best of luck in everything. Adoption is a wonderful idea, and is so rewarding. I hope in 5 years, whatever it looks like, you are we'll provided for and healthy, cuz that's all that matters :smiley:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Sennie wrote: »
    @icmnfrsh It's awesome that you are enjoying your work :) hopefully when it's time for you to find another job you will go to another one you like :) Ohhh being a full-time professor sounds like it would be a fun and rewarding job, but if you're enjoying your current job then what's the rush? :) I think your idea of waiting until 2020 is a good idea! It gives you four years to work everything out :)
    It's pretty awesome that you plan things really far ahead and what's even cooler is how you follow through with those plans :) as you said, there aren't many people who do.

At least you'll still be able to have two boys and two girls by the time your thirty :) it doesn't matter what colour you are, or what gender you like. You are you and nobody can change that :) I don't have any problems with people because they are different. I like you for who you are no matter what :)

I've always been attracted to women and to me men are just men :) but you like who you like and I say good for you :) I know it won't be easy for you, but I know you can do this and make it happen :) I wish you all the very best for your future plans and hope you can make them all happen and find that special man :)

Best of luck! :)

Matthew.

Thanks. :) We'll just have to see.

Also, good luck with your writing and your desire to adopt. Children really are something special.

• Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I love this question because I'm such a future-thinker. I'm always planning and dreaming. Not a second goes by that I'm not thinking about where I want to be.

In 5 years I see myself in my first apartment in a city with an acting market. I don't know if I'll be financially or emotionally strong enough to survive in New York or LA, but I hope to be anywhere other than Midwest America. (My mom says she has a friend in LA that would be willing to take me in, fingers crossed.) I see myself figuring out adulthood in a city with at least a little bit of culture and opportunity. I'm not content to spend my whole life in a trashy neighborhood in Indiana. I see myself pursuing what I'm passionate about with vigor. I want to see myself approaching my dreams with a healthy level of practicality to go along with that passion. I want to get over my body dysmorphia and feel better in my skin. I don't want to lose track of what I value and care about and end up settling for a life of safety and mediocrity.

College is the biggest issue for me. I hope to go someday, just for the sake of learning, but there's no job I want that requires college. I want to be an actor and there's no way I could get into a decent acting school, and we all know how useless theater degrees are. It'd be better to just put myself out there and audition and hustle independently. I'm also terrified being in college could worsen my anxiety and depression, seeing that I left high school early because of a crippling school phobia. I'm terrified of failure and it seems like those that go to college can't find jobs and have cribbling debt, but those who don't go can't get hired anywhere decent and are viewed as second class citizens.

I'm trying not to think about college right now. I'm not old enough so there's no point giving myself a heart attack. I just feel like I'm only considering college because that's what you're supposed to do and it's what everyone else does. But then again I love studying and academia and probably have the ability to get a scholarship. BAH

It's hard to want to be an actor while also having a fear of failure. I honestly can't see myself happy doing anything else. It's the only thing I know I have the ability to be great at. (And I do not want to be famous. That's a completely different goal. I just want to barely survive in a studio apartment. I'm willing to sacrifice a lot.) And all I hear is "risky, risky, risky, TOO RISKY. Don't you DARE follow your dreams because you'll get pregnant and DIE! Go to Generic State and major in the color gray and become a professional button pusher like Stanley from The Stanley Parable." (Great game btw.)

ANYWAY. Wow that was a diatribe. Getting started on this topic is dangerous because it's almost all I think about, lol.

P.S. @Sennie I wish you the greatest of luck with your writing. I hope you write to your heart's content and pursue what you love. And I think it is the sweetest thing ever that you want to adopt a baby girl. From seeing you around the forums, I can tell you're super kind and supportive and there is no way you wouldn't be amazing parent.

(Why is it that it's easy to encourage others and oh so difficult to encourage ourselves? The human brain, man.) Actually, if I reach the age of 60, with never having gotten a part in anything and living under a bridge with a family of trolls, I could go study to be a psychologist. Yay for having a Plan B!

Or I could be a birthday party clown, either one.
  • Options
    amyedwards1986amyedwards1986 Posts: 244 Member
    edited March 2016
    That's a very good question. The Future is such a hard thing to predict. I would love that within those 5 next years, I'll give to my son a little brother or sister maybe both who knows. My son is such a treasure I want more children haha.
    On the professional side, I just wish I will still have my current job which I love so much. Fashion has always been one of my most favorite passion and working as a fashion consultant is a blessing to me. Maybe I would hire a friend or two as a partner.
    Whatever will happen, I will stay the same sweet and friendly girl who will keep enjoying her life as much as she can. <3
    11ay6ix.jpg

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us -Helen Keller-
  • Options
    @iriefthi Thank you for your kind words :) if my books ever do become that famous I'll definitely send you one of them!

It's a shame you don't enjoy your job, but as you said it sounds like you have a really good life at the moment :) a loving boyfriend (future husband), a best friend and you're living in a really good place which is great :) And at least you have a job. And who knows in time a better job may come along and you may be able to get it if your lucky! :)

I wish you all the very best with your life and I hope when you get married it will be the happiest day of your life <3 Who knows, your children could be the ones who read my books ;)

Best of luck for everything you fo in your life. I hope everything works out great for you :)

@Jesf8312 I don't think that's sad at all :) I just think you and your husband are coping through hard times and that when you get the money you will move on to your own place. I'm not sure where you live, but it's the same where I live. Buying a house now is cheaper in the long run than renting a place :) Ohh I hope you do decide to have another child, that would be so special for you and your husband but also for your first child as well :)

Thank you so much for your kindness :) I'm sure in five years, even if I wasn't able to adopt, I'll still be happy and writing :)

@orangehippogriff I think your dreams and hopes of moving out are great! :) I've never moved out but I know it's a big step and what with your current condition I'm glad it doesn't stop you from planning ahead. It's also awesome that you want to improve your health and best of all when you're ready there is someone willing to take you in which is wonderful for you :) Being an actor is hard work but is also really rewarding work and if that's what you want to do then I say GO FOR IT :) !!! They say you only live once so you need to live life to the full and do everything you want to do, that's why I'm going to adopt a little girl and become an author :)
    Acting sounds like it means a lot to you and I really do hope you manage to become an actor because that would be great if you were starring in hit movies and animations like Disney films :) I'd watch your movies!

You can't think like that! I know you're still too young to think about college, so enjoy your youth and focus on your dreams of becoming an actor and everything else you enjoy :) but remember, when college comes you will be 100% fine! You'll go there, study hard and will make lots of wonderful friends :) And even if you can't handle college, there's still a high chance you will live out your dreams. Lots of people who don't finish their education make it big - one person who dropped out of school was Roy Orbison and back when my grandparents were younger he was a huge singer and everyone loved him! :) I believe that anyone can make it big in this world whether they finished school or not :)

I wish you all the very best with moving out and becoming an actor :) I know you can do it.

Thank you so much for your kindness and support :) I hope I can become a great writer and also hope that I become an amazing parent too. If both of these happen then I know both of my top dreams for life are completed :) !!

And again, best of luck for everything you want to do in the future :)

@amyedwards1986 I think that's wonderful that you want to give your son a little brother or sister :) You sound like a wonderful mum! :) And your job working in the Fashion business sounds extremely fun :) I'm sure you will still have your job in five years time, you sound so happy that I don't think it would be possible for your job to change :)
    You sound like such a lovely person <3

I wish you all the very best for your future and hope that everything stays the way it is for you :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I'm straight and I wanna be a single parent too. For the kid's sake I'm waiting til I have a man by my side. But if it doesn't happen, I might just be a single parent. I don't know if they'll give me kid though cause I have really bad anxiety issues and don't have that much money.

I don't think I will ever marry but if my health's good and I am quite wealthy then I'd love to give a little girl a good home :) I know how you feel regarding the anxiety problems :/ last time I checked about adoption I found because of my real life health state I wasn't able to. So I'm hoping I cna improve my health over the next few years to make adoption a reality for me :)

I hope you can do this as well @Simpkin :) Best of luck!!

Matthew.
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    @Sennie thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It really made my day so much brighter. I needed a little boost. You're the best. <3
  • Options
    Sennie wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »

I don't think I will ever marry but if my health's good and I am quite wealthy then I'd love to give a little girl a good home :) I know how you feel regarding the anxiety problems :/ last time I checked about adoption I found because of my real life health state I wasn't able to. So I'm hoping I cna improve my health over the next few years to make adoption a reality for me :)

I hope you can do this as well @Simpkin :) Best of luck!!

Matthew.

I don't wanna get married either. Just wanna provide a whole family for my kid if possible.
    I rang up a place before I applied for the social benefit (I dunno what you call it. You know when you cannot work cause you're too sick so you get money). I wanted to know if going on benefits would affect me adopting in the future. I was told it's all individual and that handicapped people have adopted before. The lady on the phone was really into me adopting someone though. :D

And thanks. I hope your health improves too.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Working with AMD. B)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    Thank you @sennie for your kind words,you are a very nice person, i like you :) i wish you all the best too and who knows maybe my children will be able to read your books! :D:D:)B)
  • Options
    Working with AMD. B)

That sounds interesting :) is there a specific part of AMD you want to work in? Do you want to help make it, or do you want to be selling it?

Matthew.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    Still sitting on my backside, playing games and crocheting, more crocheting than playing games though!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I expect to be rich though I'll move up north and live on my own land with over 300 acres a little ways out of town.I hate living in a mild climate and want to be where winters are a lot colder.I don't want to have any kids until I've gotten myself relocated though I'll have to be driving and using an RV to be able to pull this move off.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I'd like to have my own house by then, or at least a ute and a bigger fridge.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif