Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA makes 1.3 billion dollars a year on DLC

shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
Saw this info on Sims VIP. Looks like the DLC money train isn't stopping any time soon.

Comments

• SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    No I want Generations, not more game packs and stuff packs... :(

Me right now...

tumblr_inline_mvk9c8mGpD1rnvwt1.gif

Matthew.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »
    Saw this info on Sims VIP. Looks like the DLC money train isn't stopping any time soon.

Well Yea. How many developer companies does EA have? I know of Maxis (Sims) and DICE (Mirror's Edge).
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    Sennie wrote: »

Me right now...

Matthew.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 wheres the plumming lol button when you need it really :lol:
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu

Me right now...

Matthew.

Well you're gonna have to wait. The next EP won't be out until June or July. We're due for a game pack this month hopefully.

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    I wonder if they count EPS as DLC? I know some games do. Civilization had content releases outside of EPS, as well as 2 EPS, but in the game options under selectable DLC, everything is there, both EPS and the smaller content.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I wonder if they count EPS as DLC? I know some games do. Civilization had content releases outside of EPS, as well as 2 EPS, but in the game options under selectable DLC, everything is there, both EPS and the smaller content.

I think everything after the base game is DLC. That's what I always thought of it as.

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member

I think everything after the base game is DLC. That's what I always thought of it as.

That's what I think too , if that's the case it could be a good thing. Such monies could encourage more production. Or just nicer offices for the head honchos. :/
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I want more Gamepacks but unfortunately they take too long to do.
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    That's not really surprising. Battlefield has season passes for 50-60 a pop I think. So yeah, it'll add up quick. But to mention they publish some sports games, Need For Speed, they take a portion of the cash for what's sold on their stores for games made by other publishers. I'm sure they have plenty of money making opportunities.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    *does the impression* One billion dollars?

tumblr_m7vkrb3f9p1ramus3o1_500.jpg

Good for them! Hopefully they'll be able to invest more money into development.

Me right now...

Matthew.

*appreciates the gif*

I don't think that's how it works. Having less stuff and game packs won't mean more expansion packs. The Sims has always generally released 2 expansions a year (there are exemptions). The point of expansions is that they have the weighty gameplay, they're not suddenly going to have that level of resources by simply ceasing production of stuff and game packs.

Best case scenario? They make enough money on DLC to reopen a second studio with a second expansion team like they had at Salt Lake. THEN they could bring out more expansions.
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member

Me right now...

Matthew.

*appreciates the gif*

I don't think that's how it works. Having less stuff and game packs won't mean more expansion packs. The Sims has always generally released 2 expansions a year (there are exemptions). The point of expansions is that they have the weighty gameplay, they're not suddenly going to have that level of resources by simply ceasing production of stuff and game packs.

Best case scenario? They make enough money on DLC to reopen a second studio with a second expansion team like they had at Salt Lake. THEN they could bring out more expansions.

And the worse case scenario being a heavy investment in Titanfall 2: The ReTitaning.
  • uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    I am not surprised.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited March 2016

Well Yea. How many developer companies does EA have? I know of Maxis (Sims) and DICE (Mirror's Edge).

Bioware, etc.

Here are all of EA's acquisitions.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited March 2016

This. In Origin when you click on the DLC section to filter the store it lists EPs, GPs, and SPs in that section so I think it all counts.

Also, to the OP, I'm glad they are making money on the DLC. It ensures that we'll keep getting updates and downloadable content in the future if they are making good money from it. Companies tend to stop producing games when sales go too low.

Edited because apparently I feel the need to repeat the same phrase over and over while typing :D
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Bioware (Mass Effect, DAI, and SWOTOR), Battlefield (which appears to be 90% dlc), don't they also own FIFA? They're a huge company--no surprise they're pulling in that much for dlc. Question is--are we talking net sales or profit?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
    ebuchala wrote: »

Bioware (Mass Effect, DAI, and SWOTOR), Battlefield (which appears to be 90% dlc), don't they also own FIFA? They're a huge company--no surprise they're pulling in that much for dlc. Question is--are we talking net sales or profit?

Hmm good point. Which would be bigger? Net sales or profit?

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    It doesn't surprise me. EA are pretty much the kings of DLC and Season Passes.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Darkslayer wrote: »

To be honest, EA invented DLC.

Then Steam made season passes and now Teltale Games is selling 20 minutes of gameplay for about 20 euros. Isn't the gaming industry evolving.... #endthemadness #notbuying
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    All that money and power - yet they can't produce a stinking toddler.

I'd hold my head in shame.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Me right now...

Matthew.

*appreciates the gif*

Lol.....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »

To be honest, EA invented DLC.

Then Steam made season passes and now Teltale Games is selling 20 minutes of gameplay for about 20 euros. Isn't the gaming industry evolving.... #endthemadness #notbuying

What? Pay to play for a few minutes? I'm joining the #endthemadness #notbuying

• ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited March 2016

Errr...I mean gross sales. Profit is going to be what they actually make after expenses, etc. are subtracted.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper

Net sales. Profit is going to be what they actually make after expenses, etc. are subtracted.

Oh. So profit is what they want right since it'll make them money.

• Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I'm not surprised. If the content is good and adds to my gaming experience I'll buy it. For example, Origin gave us Need For Speed: Most Wanted for free recently, and I loved it enough to spend $29.99 for all of the DLC content when I got paid again the following week.

I'm considering buying the new Need For Speed and/or Project CARS next week, and I'm guaranteed to buy the DLCs for both.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee