Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Avoid Corrupted Files

MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
Back when I was playing Sims 2 on a regular basis, I had Desiderata Valley shut down completely, and I never could get back into it. I've read somewhere that bringing NPC sims from university into a different town can introduce bugs. Is this true? And is the same true for NPC sims from the vacation worlds?

Anyway, I have 2 questions -- what are things you should avoid so as not to corrupt your game files?

The other is, can you do a factory reset with TS2 like you do with TS3 and TS4 so as to get fresh versions of towns that you've played in?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited March 2016
    At this link there is a long list of different things that causes corruption, and a few mods that will prevent some of those things from happening.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption

I will let you know that I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, and EA did fix Samantha Ottomas's pregnancy. It is now properly showing her husband as the father to her unborn babies. I hadn't tested it on Sara Crittur's pregnancy (she is the dog in the family bin).

I just wanted to let you know, that I had just reinstalled my game the other day. I decided this time, before I started playing, I first saved a copy of my whole The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection after I started the game, and then exited right away. This gave my game a chance to make a proper folder. Now if I run into any problems in the future, all I have to to is to make a copy of the fresh (unplayed) copy of the game, and no uninstalling, reinstalling. It was not game corruption that forced me into reinstalling, but it did remind me how long it takes to install this whole game. :)

The bad thing about doing a factory reset is you will loose the pictures that are in the game. I'm talking about the pictures that are in the game when you first start playing it, such as the neighborhood story. By saving it like I did, you won't loose those pictures. Also the two families that are in the bin, one is the Kat Family, and the other is the Kim Family, won't be restored in a factory reset, but they will if you save a fresh copy like I mentioned above. I've tested this to see if it works, and it does.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Thanks for the link! This was a helpful article to read.