Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer Here’s another one for you to rack your brains over :p

04-13-17_7-54-40-PM.png

;) (I think it’s Pino imagining he’s a tree)
    P.s. Sorry, Pino appears to be strictly Dutch, but you all know him in his different Sesame Street appearance.

I like the trees they remind me of story books
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2017
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 , I didn't make any adjustments to the muscles but those are fully editable also. I guess I was just trying to show how some are grabbing the most unflattering pics to support their points. Both Sims 3 and Sims 4 players. I just wish the community wasn't so segregated.
    I didn't though (grab the most unflattering pic to support my point). I just grabbed a picture I had from my sims' daughter. It's true the game gave her strange legs (no idea where here calves went, her parents has them, just checked) but we're still talking about graphics and art style here. Anyway, here's a more honest comparison then.

Muscular:

MCAKR5n.png

hPMDrE0.png

Not muscular:

vl1z6So.png

SEIRYIo.png

Sorry, I just really don't like their legs in Sims 4, regardless the shape.

I actually like both of the games legs. But I assume you have more customization of them in 4, right? Compared to 3? I haven't played 3 in a while.

ETA: The legs seem kind of far apart though. Is it like that by default?
    I have no CC in my Sims 4 game at the moment. Moved everything out because there was a patch and entered the game without putting them in. What you see is what we got. The pictures aren't edited either. This is how my games look on the same computer.

So you can't make the legs closer together? :/ That is plum.
    Can't see a problem there to be honest ;) I don't like how pale they look (both girls I used have pretty dark skins) and how they always bend them a little (can't help nodding when Rflong called them cricket like; maybe that's what makes you say they look far apart?). And they look shapeless to me. I can see how that won't bother others, but legs are important to me, also in real life ;)

I think your legs are suppose to bend a little if they don't you'll pass out
    ?

5804048-stylish-woman-standing-sideways-with-arms-crossed.jpg

No you don’t.
    I see they shoved ShuffleJ's thread back into the TS4 forums. Poor guy's going to get inundated with angry TS4 hornets.
    What I especially don’t get is why they moved it to General, not Feedback. In the past they didn’t like the backlash and the fighting in the TS4 section, which is why all comparison threads were dumped here to die. Most critics over there are gone (or banned) by now though, so I guess they feel confident ;) I stopped going to TS4 General, felt like General is for people playing and enjoying the game. Guess not? Anyway, let’s just continue sharing the love for the old game in this section :blush:

its called locking your knees I do it a lot because I have trouble walking and I have to remind myself not to do it
    I have never pass out from doing it but I know people who have @JoAnne65
    Locking up your knees is bending them backwards. The way sims in 4 bend their knees is very unrealistic ;) They always bend them a bit, it looks goofy, I guess it’s an art style decision. I also think that because they’ve empaphized that look with the long forearms and the slouching posture. Found this comparison picture.

poor-posture-sequence1.jpg

For Sims 4 they chose the thoracic kyphosis posture, probably because it’s a way to interprete cartoony, where the old games went with good posture. In fact their posture is one of the reasons I fail to relate to those sims.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017

04-13-17_7-54-40-PM.png

P.s. Sorry, Pino appears to be strictly Dutch, but you all know him in his different Sesame Street appearance.

I like the trees they remind me of story books
    I don’t mind the overall trees in the game, that’s an art style decision. This one however was pretty bad. It came with the plantsims, I believe it was a temporary thing. For some things there simply is no excuse, like the ball pit. And this tree, this is not story book material.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    I think TS4 devs probably might go the ball-pit route with the pool-table. because that would involve coding the balls to behave in a manner that they don't seem to want to take the time to render and do like they did in Sims 3.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Nikkei_Simmer - That might be a good thing, though. I've always thought toddlers should enjoy pool tables more than they are able to in TS3.

Partial Disclaimer: One might think from the above that igazor grew up in a seedy pool hall. But I won't comment on that any further. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, but then we'd have to find a mod for the toddler throwing a tantrum when they fall off the pool table onto their head. :mrgreen: You know...emotions and all that. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member

04-13-17_7-54-40-PM.png

Ew.

I mean, I don't really much care for the non-3D follow-the-camera plants and trees of The Sims 3. And a number of them look horrible up close... but that, that looks horrible from any distance!
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    Katie123Katie123 Posts: 925 Member
    I prefer the graphics of TS4 but i just love sims 3 more because i feel there's more to do
    tumblr_n25chlaSo01rrajoto1_500.gif

Katie123
  • Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Sorry for bumping again.. but TS4 graphics ftw. TS3 graphics look washed out and more like a late 90's to early 2000's PlayStation or GameCube game.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Bubbz3388 wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping again.. but TS4 graphics ftw. TS3 graphics look washed out and more like a late 90's to early 2000's PlayStation or GameCube game.

I fully disagree with this comment as I happen to love the graphics in TS3. They don't look so cartoony in my opinion.
    2LtUZXyl.jpg
    lYJqIN7l.jpg
    6K0g7pHl.jpg
    mb30tdXl.jpg
    7BDVxQSl.jpg
    vmQQcadl.jpg
    Xo4ZWIal.jpg
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Sims 3 feels like paint, sims 4 like rubber... Sims 1 was pixel, sims 2 was 3d... I think sims 3 makes the best screenshots.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 3 is like rubber, Sims 4 is like glue, everything being said bounces off Sims 3 and sticks to you! :p

The screenshots (on both ends) are nice and fun to see, but anyone else feeling like "enough already" with the bumped up comparison threads or is it only me?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I love these shots here as they looks so real to me... :)
    sGO5hj0l.jpg
    908U4K4l.jpg

As well as these... :)
    evUevMql.jpg
    yq257aZl.jpg
    m0aLnRtl.jpg
    aoJLMZgl.jpg

Nice Fall colors... :)
    gXUqjbrl.jpg
    UrtpKL4l.jpg

Nice winter scenes... :)
    OPqCs4Bl.jpg
    a9eDHp9l.jpg
    POuyxfFl.jpg
    CRaBsUml.jpg
    icjgo82l.jpg
    KLCbc13l.jpg
    rMx8kvxl.jpg
    fAirmn5l.jpg
    5UixdB5l.jpg
    nVe33mBl.jpg
    80se9EUl.jpg
    tmUCLUIl.jpg

Looks like a real dining room and kitchen in a real house... :)
    BDHs9Gxl.jpg

Sorry if some of these have already been posted but I think that they deserve to be posted again as I am very proud of these screenshots... :)

And thank you to whomever that bumped this back up so that us TS3 players can post our awesome TS3 screenshots in it... :smile:
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, I prefer Sims 3 graphics over Sims 4 any day of the week and even on "DOOMSDAY". :mrgreen:

NuclearWinter1.jpg

Sims 3 Sims:

Screenshot-77.jpg
    Yeah, I think I can tell what race the sims are supposed to be... unlike some who say that TS3 Sims are bland...

Screenshot-41.jpg
    Just gotta work those sliders. It's not for those who throw up their hands after picking presets and then say that "Oh...the sims all look the same". >:)
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Still preferring Sims in Sim 4 (and Sims 2 with good CC), and still like the look of Sims 3’s worlds.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Hejix wrote: »
    Sims 3 feels like paint, sims 4 like rubber... Sims 1 was pixel, sims 2 was 3d... I think sims 3 makes the best screenshots.
    Yes, regardless how others feel about that, I have stopped writing my sim's adventures down (because it gets in the way of playing and I want to play) but I simply can't get myself stopping taking screenshots. For myself, because I simply constantly <3 what I see. This topic doesn't need any other picture proof from me, the examples shown after that 'friendly' bump confirm what I mean. And as for sims...

2198599_orig.png

shayne2a_orig.png

demyan01_orig.png

I rest my case.
    igazor wrote: »
    Sims 3 is like rubber, Sims 4 is like glue, everything being said bounces off Sims 3 and sticks to you.! :p

The screenshots (on both ends) are nice and fun to see, but anyone else feeling like "enough already" with the bumped up comparison threads or is it only me?
    LOL!

(glad I didn't compare - I agree so much - but just expressed my love for TS3's looks ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Sims 3 is like rubber, Sims 4 is like glue, everything being said bounces off Sims 3 and sticks to you.! :p

It's not only you! :#
  • Options
    Hejix wrote: »
    Yes, regardless how others feel about that, I have stopped writing my sim's adventures down (because it gets in the way of playing and I want to play) but I simply can't get myself stopping taking screenshots. For myself, because I simply constantly <3 what I see. This topic doesn't need any other picture proof from me, the examples shown after that 'friendly' bump confirm what I mean. And as for sims...

2198599_orig.png

shayne2a_orig.png

demyan01_orig.png

I rest my case.

LOL!

(glad I didn't compare - I agree so much - but just expressed my love for TS3's looks ;))

@JoAnne65, love the way your Sims look... <3<3
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Litmus test of what holds up as "realistic graphics".

Post your screenshot in 500px and see how many upvotes you get from it. These are photographers judging other photographers.
    Sims3Landscape_Popular.jpg
    My Sims 3 Landscape amongst my other "real world" photography. This 80.4 Pulse was 5 min after I posted the image. It's now sitting at 92 Pulse.
    https://500px.com/falconrosephoto

In Sims 3 on high graphics (my computer can't handle that right now), one's screencaps could be mistaken for real-world photos. Sims 4 screencaps would get laughed out of the site.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    jonny522jonny522 Posts: 179 Member
    Sims 3 definitely, Sims 3 has an art style that in my view will age, and has aged quite well. Sims 4 on the other hand just seems way too cartoony, more like a caricature than a life simulator. This is actually the one reason I really don't want to try out the sims 2, it's game play and all the other features that are widely loved probably deserve to be so revered(though I can't say for certain since I haven't played it) by the community. But I'm sorry the art style and graphics have aged TERRIBLY, they look so dated and out of it. I know for the time it was good but in comparison Sims 1 which is considerably older and less technologically advanced has aged exceptionally well because the game focused more on a certain art style than pure graphical power. The sims 4 is also to my knowledge less system hungry than the sims 3, but still the game has a realistic vibe in it's style that still has that cartoonish element which makes a SIMS game(and also, especially with seasons, looks outright BEAUTIFUL), vs the sims 4 which just has too much of the cartoonish vibe.

Note these are all my subjective feelings on the matter and are note objective fact.
  • Options
    TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    edited December 2018
    In terms of the looks of the worlds I feel 3. In terms of how sims actually look, I prefer 4. I did not like how the sims looked in 3. The only sim I truly liked was my sim and she was a modded one.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2018
    jonny522 wrote: »
    Sims 3 definitely, Sims 3 has an art style that in my view will age, and has aged quite well. Sims 4 on the other hand just seems way too cartoony, more like a caricature than a life simulator. This is actually the one reason I really don't want to try out the sims 2, it's game play and all the other features that are widely loved probably deserve to be so revered(though I can't say for certain since I haven't played it) by the community. But I'm sorry the art style and graphics have aged TERRIBLY, they look so dated and out of it. I know for the time it was good but in comparison Sims 1 which is considerably older and less technologically advanced has aged exceptionally well because the game focused more on a certain art style than pure graphical power. The sims 4 is also to my knowledge less system hungry than the sims 3, but still the game has a realistic vibe in it's style that still has that cartoonish element which makes a SIMS game(and also, especially with seasons, looks outright BEAUTIFUL), vs the sims 4 which just has too much of the cartoonish vibe.

Note these are all my subjective feelings on the matter and are note objective fact.

I agree with you about TS3, but also, the Sims 2 can still look really beautiful with the right custom content. My friend @mortia plays a medieval game and it looks incredibly gorgeous. It's amazing what modders are still doing with TS2. You can see some of her pictures of her medieval world HERE if you'd like to see how it can look.

eta - The game in its vanilla state does look dated, but the Sims and their interactions are just SO endearing that many people overlook that. I would recommend that if you ever do get the chance to play TS2, do, because it's absolutely amazing.

I'm not going to touch on TS4. It's simply dreadful, and should have been an side game, like TSM.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Honestly, I very much prefer Sims 3’s graphics. It has landscaping and scenery that never fails to amaze me with its lovely views and the Sims themselves I much prefer to any other iteration.

I loved Sims 2, don’t get me wrong, but with all the customization of Sims 3 I was very easily able to move on from TS2 with no looking back. Sims 2 had cuter babies and interactions though. I always loved giving the babies and toddlers baths when I still played :)

Anyway, graphics style. Yeah, Sims 4 graphics remind me of as though Sims 1 and Sims 2 had a baby. Not a fan of the lack of detail on objects and the Sims themselves...meh. I hate that clayified hair. And I am not a fan of claymation. Lol.

Now please let me say this is only my opinion. I understand others have their own graphics preferences and play styles. I just hope that if there is a Sims 5 it will be a combination of Sims 2’s interactions, Sims 3’s graphics (and open world), and Sims 4’s build mode and massive amounts of decor clutter. :p
  • Options
    jonny522jonny522 Posts: 179 Member
    > @Amphora said:
    > Honestly, I very much prefer Sims 3’s graphics. It has landscaping and scenery that never fails to amaze me with its lovely views and the Sims themselves I much prefer to any other iteration.
    >
    > I loved Sims 2, don’t get me wrong, but with all the customization of Sims 3 I was very easily able to move on from TS2 with no looking back. Sims 2 had cuter babies and interactions though. I always loved giving the babies and toddlers baths when I still played :)
    >
    > Anyway, graphics style. Yeah, Sims 4 graphics remind me of as though Sims 1 and Sims 2 had a baby. Not a fan of the lack of detail on objects and the Sims themselves...meh. I hate that clayified hair. And I am not a fan of claymation. Lol.
    >
    > Now please let me say this is only my opinion. I understand others have their own graphics preferences and play styles. I just hope that if there is a Sims 5 it will be a combination of Sims 2’s interactions, Sims 3’s graphics (and open world), and Sims 4’s build mode and massive amounts of decor clutter. :p

You forgot the atmosphere and music of Sims 1. Never forget the atmosphere and music of sims 1.
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    jonny522 wrote: »

I agree with you about TS3, but also, the Sims 2 can still look really beautiful with the right custom content. My friend @mortia plays a medieval game and it looks incredibly gorgeous. It's amazing what modders are still doing with TS2. You can see some of her pictures of her medieval world HERE if you'd like to see how it can look.

eta - The game in its vanilla state does look dated, but the Sims and their interactions are just SO endearing that many people overlook that. I would recommend that if you ever do get the chance to play TS2, do, because it's absolutely amazing.

I'm not going to touch on TS4. It's simply dreadful, and should have been an side game, like TSM.
    I agree. In fact the game also looks quite good vanilla. The sims have their... well, let’s say unique art style, but the graphics are quite crisp and bright and the game has the most realistic approach I think compared to Sims 3 and 4 where it comes to food for instance, or rocks, grass, things like that.

(oh, wow, those pictures you linked to are indeed amazing)
    5JZ57S6.png